Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Wipfmetz posted:

I'm keeping track of this thread here though, hoping for some kind of turnaround.

Me too. Bethesda wanted to go all-out on really big exploration thing, then possibly found out (fairly late) that crap, the planets are just empty, and instead of populating them with a bunch of crafted content, they opted to plonk a number pre-installed POIs using generic assets, and then just gave a lot of empty, abandoned or bandit-infested copy-paste bases everywhere, just so the player isn't left out of compass icons to head to. Even on Jemison, which is supposedly a capital world of the UC (and has this one university-sized town on it plus maybe a fracking station or something).

I'm somewhat doubtful that they can fix that part without doing some really heavy redesign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The worlds with large settlements (except Neon) tend to have automated farms as POIs nearby, which I thought was a neat touch.

It also appears that the team that writes the little vignettes put them all into the random ship encounters in space, rather than the planet-side POIs. So hopefully you've fully upgraded your scanning skill or you'll probably never find 90% of them.

But yeah, they aren't going to fix "the game is mostly empty and the only engaging content are the faction quest lines across maybe a dozen unique POIs"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 5, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah in my 2nd playthrough I suddenly found all these derelict ships I never saw before, it looks like most of Bethesda's environmental storytelling budget went into those (and several of them are at least somewhat interesting, unlike the 5th iteration of identical cryo labs).

I did manage to get stuck in a system once while doing the Crimson Fleet quests. Stole a "fighter" ship with garbage jump range and smallish cargo space, on the far right edge of the starmap where I didn't have anything else explored yet. The jump range was just a bit too short to reach other systems, and I couldn't fast travel because I was overencumbered and couldn't dump my stuff in the already overloaded ship cargo (it's great that you can't have dedicated hauler/mobile base ships because all the cargo follows your home ship). The only way out was buying the first jump range skill or console cheats - it didn't occur to me that storing/getting rid of my inventory would allow me to fast travel out :v:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

^^ see it can happen ^^

I found the Colander again, the derelict ship with the alien on board, like in Alien. I like it, but I wish it stuck you onboard somehow and made you finish it so there was some actual tension to it. Later I came across another derelict, this one filled with radiation and dead people. I like derelicts ok

e based on the one Andrea mission, I'd bet any empty space stations you find are going to end up being varuun hideouts in dlc

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 5, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

infernal machines posted:

The worlds with large settlements (except Neon) tend to have automated farms as POIs nearby, which I thought was a neat touch.

It also appears that the team that writes the little vignettes put them all into the random ship encounters in space, rather than the planet-side POIs. So hopefully you've fully upgraded your scanning skill or you'll probably never find 90% of them.

But yeah, they aren't going to fix "the game is mostly empty and the only engaging content are the faction quest lines across maybe a dozen unique POIs"

thats the guy who made 3dnpcs for skyrim.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I would genuinely like to know what the game looked like before the extra year "polishing" it and what that year looked like. It would be interesting to know if it was a total teardown or if it was just a monstrosity of bugs with no dialogue recorded.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's bullshit there wasn't even a planet full of giants that send you into space with their space clubs

Todd crossing out fun and writing boring underneath it

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Inspector Hound posted:

I would genuinely like to know what the game looked like before the extra year "polishing" it and what that year looked like. It would be interesting to know if it was a total teardown or if it was just a monstrosity of bugs with no dialogue recorded.

I'm leaning towards bugs, since they had some new things to implement like spaceflight and stuff.

Also possible that the game was less fun to play.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

contraband would be worth it if a gun dropped by dead space raider #42069 didn't sell for way more

Commandeering spaceships, too.

I could steal a ship and sell it for like, 8000 credits after I do loving DMV paperwork, or I could sell the guns I took off the crew for twice that. I don't get why you can't sell ships at The Key, the place full of Rated-PG Pirates, without doing the DMV paperwork and maybe, maybe make piracy in some way profitable.

1glitch0 posted:

but even the most annoying companion in OW is more interesting and compelling than any of the ones in Starfield.

The companion characters were so much better. They had actual arcs that tied into the setting in substantial ways (Vicar Max and his struggles with Weird Corporate Catholicism was really good). I honestly can't tell you anything about the characters of any of the Starfield companions besides "They whine a lot"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh... jeez... um... I guess I'm ok? I'm just a smol bean space adventurer... I don't know how to... take a compliment...

aw man I'm just so hosed up and vulnerable, captain

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fuckin nerd rear end space millennials

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I flew my upgraded ship out to the key and blew up all the pirate ships, then hailed the key. I got the same "land and do your business" type response you get as a pirate, but it wouldn't let me land.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Inspector Hound posted:

I flew my upgraded ship out to the key and blew up all the pirate ships, then hailed the key. I got the same "land and do your business" type response you get as a pirate, but it wouldn't let me land.

Yeah, you can't actually dock at The Key without having started the Crimson Fleet questline.

I tried that too.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, you can't actually dock at The Key without having started the Crimson Fleet questline.

I tried that too.

It would have been pretty sick if they let me land and made me a member because I'm so badass, or if I got to force my way on and clear the station out. Or denied me landing with a radio message telling me they'd hunt me to the end of the galaxy after what I'd done, or radio silence because they were all blown up/didn't want to talk to me. This is fine too though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

It almost certainly had a lot more systems in place for things like fuel/travel that were unceremoniously ripped out because they weren't fun.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ImpAtom posted:

It almost certainly had a lot more systems in place for things like fuel/travel that were unceremoniously ripped out because they weren't fun.

im not sure we can entirely depend on bethsoft's idea of "fun". sounds like meters to manage yes but it would at least force you to land to refuel and take a look around

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat, this planet is flat as hell and full of rocks too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

It would have been pretty sick if they let me land and made me a member because I'm so badass, or if I got to force my way on and clear the station out. Or denied me landing with a radio message telling me they'd hunt me to the end of the galaxy after what I'd done, or radio silence because they were all blown up/didn't want to talk to me. This is fine too though

Yeah, no, one thing Bethesda doesn't do is reactivity.

Instead, no one will ever acknowledge the hundreds of pirates you've killed or the fact that you wiped out the entire fleet in the system in the Mantis' space ship.

Tangentially related, remember when faction armour was a thing? And yet, somehow, dressing head to toe in Pirate gear doesn't make a lick of difference and they'll still open fire on me at a hundred yards.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 7, 2023

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I like how they couldn’t even avoid ripping a system out incomplete. I thought for like 10-15 hours I had to buy fuel and was trying to find where I could actually buy it. There’s still mentions of it in the UI and the vanguard and early constellation quests are just riddled with people being like “take this money for Space Gas”.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Instead, no one will ever acknowledge the hundreds of pirates you've killed or the fact that you wiped out the entire fleet in the system in the Mantis' space ship.

Tangentially related, remember when faction armour was a thing? And yet, somehow, dressing head to toe in Pirate gear doesn't make a lick of difference and they'll still open fire on me at a hundred yards.

Bethesda consistently refusing to learn lessons from things New Vegas did well is so frustrating.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It just kills me that at the same time, rdr2 scenarios have NPC's practically recalling the number of bullets you fired last time you were in town. You can't join enemy gangs (or fool them with your costume beyond the mask), it's more on rails in that aspect, but there's a ton of reactivity and consequences for previous actions aside from NPCFRIENDLY=0 or whatever

e I'm saving all my pirate/cool costumes to dress my crew for pirating so they better still let me in

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 7, 2023

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I wonder if it's because they can't, or won't. Engine-related? Who knows. I don't.

I like the on-foot shooting though a lot.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sandepande posted:

I wonder if it's because they can't, or won't. Engine-related? Who knows. I don't.

I like the on-foot shooting though a lot.

I like the shooting too, it keeps me landing at all the poi's. It also makes it pretty fun capturing ships, you get to storm or sneak through zapping the crew.

Is there a way to untrack resources? It appears the only way is to untrack the blueprint from the bench screen for the attachment for the specific gun you originally sent it to track, and that seems awful

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

As far as I can tell, it's a deliberate design choice. There are a couple quest lines that let you infiltrate by stealing clothes, which appears to make you count as that faction for determining item ownership - you can even launder the stolen tags off items that way.

So the engine should be able to handle it no problem. They chose not to, probably because of complexity (a lot more voice lines to record and a lot more QA testing required) but probably also because they seem really big on the player never having to make hard decisions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

isndl posted:

As far as I can tell, it's a deliberate design choice. There are a couple quest lines that let you infiltrate by stealing clothes, which appears to make you count as that faction for determining item ownership - you can even launder the stolen tags off items that way.

There's the CF one, what others are there?

That's the only one I can think of immediately.

But yeah, they clearly could do it, and like a bunch of other poo poo, it only woks in one place during a mission and never again.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

There's the CF one, what others are there?

That's the only one I can think of immediately.

But yeah, they clearly could do it, and like a bunch of other poo poo, it only woks in one place during a mission and never again.

The last Ryujin mission has a researcher uniform you can use from what I've read, though I never found it when I ran that mission myself. Might be other quests in that line that has something similar that simply isn't advertised anywhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Huh. I grabbed that for my wardrobe collection during that mission, I didn't try to wear it because that mechanic didn't exist anywhere else.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Just be a Pirate.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7431

Also generic crew just vanishing has a fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7523

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Starfield was shut out at the Video Game Awards!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well not completely, one of the ad break featurettes had a Starfield trailer. Ended on a splash screen of a bunch of 10/10 awards, proving how good it is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

staberind posted:

Also generic crew just vanishing has a fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7523

lmao. So switching to a smaller ship just deletes unused crew from the universe?

loving amazing.

1glitch0 posted:

Starfield was shut out at the Video Game Awards!

Wait, you mean we're not going to get a GOTY edition now?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lmao. So switching to a smaller ship just deletes unused crew from the universe?

it never came up :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yeah you can pay them and the recruitment window tells you they will disappear if you're not assigning them right there before leaving the (IIRC) zone. If you switch ships with a lower crew cap they get automatically unassigned which means *poof*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A very mercenary way of treating NPCs

A commentary on a disposable workforce? Truly, this is Art.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 8, 2023

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Wait, you mean we're not going to get a GOTY edition now?

They already got a GOTY award in another award show, so no luck.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.pcgamer.com/creator-beh...-is-fing-trash/

I wonder how much of this we'll see.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

"I never considered that "the modders will fix the game" only works if modders want to fix the game.

Bethesda really did half rear end this one more than usual though. A lot of the planets I landed on didn’t even feel like anyone had given them a once-over, just generated them and put them in the game. There’s nothing in here that hasn’t been done better by games that have existed for so long they’re pretty much universally available for ten bucks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Starfield will be officially fixed when modders fully convert one of the barren planets into Tamriel and launch ES6 themselves.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Starfield will be officially fixed when modders fully convert one of the barren planets into Tamriel a world of horny sonics and launch ES6 themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all you had to do was release the mod tools at launch todd..........