Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

It's something they'll have to sort out... to my eye comparing that the household detachment specifically allows "an allied detachment" if it's the primary, to the crusade FOC having a looser "may also include a number of optional detachments" without further elaboration does allow for interpreting that as being free to choose multiple optional detachments of the same type, if only because it doesn't explicitly say there's a restriction. The graphic maybe implies that one of each is what they were thinking, but then the titan maniple graphic doesn't match what its own text says so perhaps not the greatest indication.

More amusingly that designer's note about levels of allegiance highlights a minor problem even as they're trying to clear up how things interact: the ally allegiances being a matrix chart with only two axis means it doesn't actually specify what optional detachments consider each other as, so the explanation you'd provide to clear things up for your opponent is "hosed if I know".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
More bonks to the squad: BA IXth Legion Inductii Despoilers

Here's the whole squad together

Still working on adjusting the lighting and/or the white balance on my new phone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jesus Christ those are gorgeous, great job.

Here's the old berserker arms on a new MkIII destroyer I'm working on:

The arms and bolt pistols were absolutely oversized for 3rd edition, but I think they look great now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alpha Legion Saboteur
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/07/heresy-thursday-hoodwink-your-foes-with-the-alpha-legion-saboteur/

This guy's great, just loaded down with gear. He's also in customized mkV armor which is a nice change-up.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Weird observation, but: That pelvis looks a lot like the old resin MkV pelvises, and not like something drawn from revised in-progress CAD files.

(Not the specific armor details but the way it's bow-legged.)

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Stephenls posted:

Weird observation, but: That pelvis looks a lot like the old resin MkV pelvises, and not like something drawn from revised in-progress CAD files.

nah not really, because the legs are definitely in the same positions as pose no.3 of the new tactical kit(s)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

It's the extra prominent tactical codpiece.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Z the IVth posted:

It's the extra prominent tactical codpiece.

Since its alpha legion though it looks 2 inches closer than it actually is

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I appreciate the heresy assault marine backpack sprue coming with more belt pouches and grenades than you need to give one each to ten guys, to compensate for the heresy tactical sergeant sprue not coming with enough.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Stephenls posted:

I appreciate the heresy assault marine backpack sprue coming with more belt pouches and grenades than you need to give one each to ten guys, to compensate for the heresy tactical sergeant sprue not coming with enough.

Legitimately great news

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a box of the new assault marines to convert into three dark angel enigmatus units. They've always been on my radar since book IX dropped, but their points decrease in the latest round of updates got me thinking. I could buy one box and convert all I'd ever need. I just need to source a few things. I have all the dark angel bits and swords in the world, but does anyone know of a good source for needle pistols? Preferably plastic though a third party option is fine too. The only one I can find from GW is on the GSC primus model and I'm not sourcing 9 of those just for their pistols. I'm also interested in alternate jump packs, but I think people will need some time to design some that are compatible with the assault marine kit.

[Edit: I just remembered the Escher range is full of needle weapons.]

These guys are a weird-rear end little unit. They're a holdover from 1.0 and wound up in the legacies pdf alongside the Excindio. They come in groups of three and can't be increased any further, but their stats are crazy with WS5, W2, A3, and even I5. 3+ save though and no invulnerable. They can deep strike or outflank and the PLASMA ROCKETS they've strapped to their backs give them a 4+ shrouded save on the turn they arrive from reserve from all the smoke they put out. Oh, and they can super charge their swords once per game to rend on a 3+. No frag grenades though.

Seriously, what a bunch of loving weirdos.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 17, 2023

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Safety Factor posted:

I have all the dark angel bits and swords in the world, but does anyone know of a good source for needle pistols? Preferably plastic though a third party option is fine too. The only one I can find from GW is on the GSC primus model and I'm not sourcing 9 of those just for their pistols.

Needle pistols are pretty much the perfect use for styrene tubing, cut the barrel off a laspistol (or whatever other pistol you have most of spare in your bits collection) and just mount the tube at the end.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

My local community had a Horus Heresy Secret Santa event (abbreviated as HHSS which is wrong on soo many levels) and I ended up kitbashing and painting a White Scar(s?) for it. Never done white armor before, so it was a real struggle.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

My local community had a Horus Heresy Secret Santa event (abbreviated as HHSS which is wrong on soo many levels) and I ended up kitbashing and painting a White Scar(s?) for it. Never done white armor before, so it was a real struggle.

talking about your struggle just makes it worse

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That’s a lovely model you’ve painted there, mein Fuhrer

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so like half of the solar auxilia range is oop? what the hell?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They're almost certainly the mystery plastic army.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah, I was holding out hope it was talons of the emperor (bringing most of the resin Custodes stuff to plastic and adding the missing SoS kits) but auxilia seems almost certain. Weird that they haven’t announced it yet

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i guess that makes sense considering what's sold out online.

are we finally getting rotor cannon veletaris???

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah, I was holding out hope it was talons of the emperor (bringing most of the resin Custodes stuff to plastic and adding the missing SoS kits) but auxilia seems almost certain. Weird that they haven’t announced it yet

Based on this roadmap...

The new plastic mystery army was supposed to be announced and released alongside the Mark VI assaults, so my guess would be that the Legions Imperialis delay pushed it back, either because they have limited bandwidth for physical product distribution, because they don't want the Legions Imperialis launch to cannibalize potential sales of a new Heresy army, or a combination of both.

Hopefully they don't have to push the command squad and plastic weapon upgrades back to account for the plastic army delay.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Winter is like December through February. There's still time to fall within that window.

I figured the army would be solar aux and I think that's pretty much guaranteed now after the Legions Imperialis launch. However, I was worried they'd do something weird like keep the infantry resin and only put out plastic tanks. I really hope I'm wrong on that one. It would be an odd way to go and would kill enthusiasm pretty quickly.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

Winter is like December through February. There's still time to fall within that window.

I figured the army would be solar aux and I think that's pretty much guaranteed now after the Legions Imperialis launch. However, I was worried they'd do something weird like keep the infantry resin and only put out plastic tanks. I really hope I'm wrong on that one. It would be an odd way to go and would kill enthusiasm pretty quickly.

It's true they have until February, but winter almost always means before the end of the year, and I don't recall them ever doing a big release before March. Then again I don't recall them ever doing big releases this late into December, either -- they could be really pushing things to make up for delays.

I don't think they'll do the all-resin infantry + plastic tanks thing. An all-purpose plastic infantry kit is just too much of a potential evergreen kit, and GW has been justifying much more marginal-interest ones through releases like Kill Team for several years now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The main reason I dreamt up the idea of the infantry staying resin is the level of detail on the solar aux models. I mean, their armor features multiple flanges and every individual stud and nut is modeled. It's a big part of their look for me. I'm concerned that injection molding might carry certain limitations that would see those details sacrificed. But we'll see. If they can faithfully reproduce these models in plastic, fantastic. If they have to make a few small changes to make them work, fair enough. I just don't want a scenario where the resin and plastic models diverge too much.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
like I said before, currently every model that has the reinforced void armor is OoP. they're almost definitely moving those to plastic, in this scenario

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

love how you cant tell whats out of stock or not at a glance on the new site

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

The main reason I dreamt up the idea of the infantry staying resin is the level of detail on the solar aux models. I mean, their armor features multiple flanges and every individual stud and nut is modeled. It's a big part of their look for me. I'm concerned that injection molding might carry certain limitations that would see those details sacrificed. But we'll see. If they can faithfully reproduce these models in plastic, fantastic. If they have to make a few small changes to make them work, fair enough. I just don't want a scenario where the resin and plastic models diverge too much.

I'd expect them to lose a bit of detail but also receive a bit of a redesign to make the lost detail less apparent, possibly with different details added that are more amenable to injection-molded plastic. Like, look at the way the armor along the back of the Mark III legs has gone from being nested conical rings to flush cylindrical rings, or even the difference between resin and plastic Death Korps (the loss of detail on which is largely invisible because it's just, like, the way the cloth folds). But with the general push to move Heresy into a major tentpole product, they're not going to leave a major faction's bread and butter infantry unit in resin just to avoid repositioning some nuts and rivets.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Rules question, any sons of Horus can exchange their power weapon for a Carsoran axe/Tabar and Justaerin come stock with a Carsoran axe and can replace them with power weapons. Are you able to go Carsoran axe>power weapon>Carsoran Tabar? Seems a bit odd if so because why the heck would you take the stock axe if you can swap to the Tabar for free.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Yes, they can swap them for Tabars, and that seems to be the loadout most people run them with nowadays. The Carsoran Axe is really only relevant in Chieftains and Breachers since the introduction of the Tabar.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

New resin apothecaries, love the Mk V!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr Teatime posted:

Rules question, any sons of Horus can exchange their power weapon for a Carsoran axe/Tabar and Justaerin come stock with a Carsoran axe and can replace them with power weapons. Are you able to go Carsoran axe>power weapon>Carsoran Tabar? Seems a bit odd if so because why the heck would you take the stock axe if you can swap to the Tabar for free.

The simple answer is that the tabar didn't exist when the 2.0 index was written. Now that it's here though you can totally swap to one using that chained decision tree or whatever you want to call it. It's dumb, but it works.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
weird weapon swapping shenanigans to get a loadout that should be one of the defaults in the first place is a warhammer tradition.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

New resin apothecaries, love the Mk V!

:sickos: Love that mkV. Gimme that mkV.

I've been needing a couple more apothecaries so I'll definitely be picking them up. I have the old mkII and mkIV guys so it'll be nice to add to them. I'll probably be giving these guys power swords though and one's getting a jump pack.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it really is great to see how far this stuff is coming. i remember buying dracosans when they launched, and after a bunch of back and forth and replacement parts, customer service told me the tank just couldn't be loving assembled. it was insane

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I am looking at the new MkV helmet design, and noticing that the number of studs on the head have been reduced and their positions changed. And I’m thinking you could do that in plastic by casting it in two pieces. The faceplate would face outward from the sprue, while the helmet dome would face sideways. The join line would be hid on assembly because the faceplate is slightly recessed from the rest of the helm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The apothecary is probably my favorite MK VI release thus far.

Or maybe they just painted and shot it just right.

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Managed to play my first game of Heresy yesterday at 1.5k points. Fun, but the special rules being spread all over the show made them very difficult to reference.

One thing we weren't sure about was whether arriving from Deep Strike count as a move for the purposes of shooting (e.g. heavy weapons/fury of the legion etc). Googling seems to get me a lot of rulings from the previous edition; we treated it as not moving but it felt potentially very strong. Is there some obvious rules reference/FAQ clarification we missed?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JcDent posted:

The apothecary is probably my favorite MK VI release thus far.

Or maybe they just painted and shot it just right.

They're both excellent models

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

p311 posted:

Once all units from the Deep Strike Assault have been deployed and any Interceptor Reactions have been resolved, the turn proceeds as normal. Units that have been deployed as part of a Deep Strike Assault may not Move or Run in the same Movement phase as they are deployed, but may Shoot and Assault as normal.

That's specifically a Deep Strike Assault but I'd say they don't count as moving because they're not allowed to move.

Battle Scribe / New Recruit are pretty great for having the special rules as an "appendix" at the back of your list.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

Battle Scribe / New Recruit are pretty great for having the special rules as an "appendix" at the back of your list.

Thats probably the most useful thing about them, especially since points costs and wargear options are often extremely wrong! The special rules stuff seems to be quite accurate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
were there any knight houses closely associated with the blood angels?