Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s shown the building and operation of her ventilation system.

It’s not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
But she said right in the video how it's so good it captures all but the finest particles! /s

For serious though, I would assume that fine airborne particles would be the easiest to move? But I dunno anything about ventilation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Extremely fine particles are easily removed with electrostatic filtering and larger particles are easily removed with physical filtering. There's a little gap at about 0.3 µm where particles are too large for electrostatic systems to easily draw them onto collection plates but small enough to flow around the fiber of a physical filter.

That's why protective equipment like N95 respirators are rated at 0.3 µm. The effectiveness numbers are all "worst case".

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 6, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

8one6 posted:

Every time I see DIY bunker poo poo I just think to myself that carbon dioxide weighs more than oxygen and I'd never trust myself (let alone some random idiot on the internet) to set up the proper ventilation to prevent it from becoming a makeshift tomb.

any stratification by the tiny density difference of co2 is irrelevant at human-size scales.

If it were actually a problem you'd be more worried about o2 and n2 separating out and your bunker spontaneously catching fire

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Godspeed crazy catacombs lady

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Nice use of space to have rooms serve multiple functions. Spare bedroom that doubles as a surprise tomb

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

ComradePyro posted:

every time one of her videos gets posted all the armchair engineers prophesy doom. I have no idea if what she's doing is safe, but I'm willing to bet she has a better idea than I do. I think she's great

two days. it took two days for this thread to turn back into the comments section of her tik toks.

please at least be funny or interesting when you deliver your prophesy, nobody cares about screenshots of dust. she is literally wearing a respirator in the screenshot. that's better than a lot of professional operations.

the tunnel is dumb in a cool way and we should all get over the dumb part so we can enjoy that it's also cool. rule of thumb: if she dies and your joke isn't funny anymore, it was never funny.

for fucks sake

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shifty Pony posted:

The sequence from 0:30-0:35 tells quite the story about the quality of her ventilation system:

No discernible air movement except for the plume from the cutting wheel when there should be a steady flow sufficient to keep the air clear. She also should have a lifeline attached and someone else at the other end of it ready to drag her out of the hole if she were to fall unconscious or be injured.

there's probably no use in worrying about the life of someone who isn't worried about their own, if you're not positioned to stop them or help them

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

drat how'd she afford all that lumber for formwork?

Must've been on a blowout discount.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

I wish I could find this one hobby tunneler YouTube channel again, some German (?) guy digging a huge underground lair by himself by hand, seemingly as a residence, no talking and lots of techno, where I left off he was trying to cast copper throwing knives.

Are you thinking of Colin Furze, or is there a third underground lair builder out there?

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Ohhh Hobby Tunneling is a whole thing

Particularly notable was Seymore Cray - father of supercomputing - who said "While I'm digging in the tunnel, the elves will often come to me with solutions to my problem."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HelleSpud posted:

Ohhh Hobby Tunneling is a whole thing

Particularly notable was Seymore Cray - father of supercomputing - who said "While I'm digging in the tunnel, the elves will often come to me with solutions to my problem."

Turns out digging in a hypoxic environment does wonders for the powers of creative hallucination!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Turns out digging in a hypoxic environment does wonders for the powers of creative hallucination!
The Balrog was a mass hallucination.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ComradePyro posted:

two days. it took two days for this thread to turn back into the comments section of her tik toks.

please at least be funny or interesting when you deliver your prophesy, nobody cares about screenshots of dust. she is literally wearing a respirator in the screenshot. that's better than a lot of professional operations.

the tunnel is dumb in a cool way and we should all get over the dumb part so we can enjoy that it's also cool. rule of thumb: if she dies and your joke isn't funny anymore, it was never funny.

for fucks sake

If she dies that actually makes the jokes funnier

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shifty Pony posted:

Extremely fine particles are easily removed with electrostatic filtering and larger particles are easily removed with physical filtering. There's a little gap at about 0.3 µm where particles are too large for electrostatic systems to easily draw them onto collection plates but small enough to flow around the fiber of a physical filter.

That's why protective equipment like N95 respirators are rated at 0.3 µm. The effectiveness numbers are all "worst case".

So what do you use to get the particles below .3µm (and bigger than ?? µm where electrostatic is effective)?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
very brave and impressive thought, glad you shared

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

feels like tunnel lady knows she's loving with Internet losers by posting a doctored narrative

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So what do you use to get the particles below .3µm (and bigger than ?? µm where electrostatic is effective)?

The particles collide with the filter media (commonly spunbond polypropylene) and become bound to them via van der Waals forces.

How exactly they’re most likely to collide with the filter depends on their size.

Small particles are jostled around like mad by collisions with gas molecules. They take such long random paths that they are sure to encounter a filter fiber somewhere along the way. This is capture via diffusion.

Large particles go with the flow. They have enough mass and therefore inertia that individual gas molecules don’t greatly affect their course. This sets them up for inertial impaction. The air stream makes an abrupt turn around a fiber, and like a police cruiser chasing a motorbike, the particle crashes.

Even when no sharp turns are involved, large particles my simply graze a fiber and stick to it. This is interception.

The largest of all particles fall out of the air in fairly short order irrespective of anything else. This is settling.

Some diagrams show yet another mechanism, sieving, where a particle is just too big to fit through the gap between neighboring fibers. This is how the public thinks that all filters work. I’d describe this as a case of interception though.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

The sequence from 0:30-0:35 tells quite the story about the quality of her ventilation system:

No discernible air movement except for the plume from the cutting wheel when there should be a steady flow sufficient to keep the air clear. She also should have a lifeline attached and someone else at the other end of it ready to drag her out of the hole if she were to fall unconscious or be injured.

LMAO "my ventilation removes all the dust except for the stuff that really fucks up your lungs."

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I love the thought of someone being on the outside, holding the rope to pull her out in case of hypoxia and such. I don't think that's set up to happen as a safety precaution. But I like the idea. Here's hoping she thinks of this idea, too, soon.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

I love the thought of someone being on the outside, holding the rope to pull her out in case of hypoxia and such. I don't think that's set up to happen as a safety precaution. But I like the idea. Here's hoping she thinks of this idea, too, soon.

I'm just imaging the safety line and her limbs catching up on all the scrap lumber, nests of extension cords, other rope, compressed air lines, and what not I've seen in her other vids, so the end result is the safety line pulling out a lady trapped in the midst of a mess that looks like it was drag netted from the bottom of an active marina.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

value-brand cereal posted:

Too inefficient. Just have a winch set up to start running if you don't press a button every minute.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
edit: good lord how did I end up in this thread

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rjmccall posted:

edit: good lord how did I end up in this thread

Good luck. Now go play the lottery.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Icedude posted:

Are you thinking of Colin Furze, or is there a third underground lair builder out there?

Definitely not Colin Furze.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

I'm just imaging the safety line and her limbs catching up on all the scrap lumber, nests of extension cords, other rope, compressed air lines, and what not I've seen in her other vids, so the end result is the safety line pulling out a lady trapped in the midst of a mess that looks like it was drag netted from the bottom of an active marina.

Like an auger that’s hit fiber.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
For those wondering, the manifolds are probably heated floor setup.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like the one pipe brace in the top of the picture.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nitrox posted:

For those wondering, the manifolds are probably heated floor setup.

i was wondering, and is that a somewhat typical application? like obv that's a stupid mess, but are warmed floored typically run via the domestic hot water heater in a proper fashion?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

there is probably a heating boiler for it out of frame to the lower left.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

(guy who's only ever seen that pic of the plumbing in a Soviet submarine) Getting big Soviet submarine energy with this one

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HolHorsejob posted:

(guy who's only ever seen that pic of the plumbing in a Soviet submarine) Getting big Soviet submarine energy with this one

This one's a WW1 German U-Boat:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Like an auger that’s hit fiber.

lol yes exactly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

this one's a soviet sub

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

German engineering.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like the one pipe brace in the top of the picture.

Doing gods work

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jesus Christ

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hot pants water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
At what point does she boobytrap the tunnels for when the cartel comes after killing her niece?