Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

calling it now, Grisham is gonna start 100+ games for the yankees next season. Idk if because of injuries, Verdugo just really sucking, or Boone being Boone, but Grisham will find a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Grisham is a very good defensive CFer as well.

Yeah, true. His bat is 100% defensive replacement, not fourth outfielder, though. Not that they have a fourth outfielder on the roster atm.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I can't wait for the first time Grisham ends a game with a bunt strike out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheFlyingLlama posted:

calling it now, Grisham is gonna start 100+ games for the yankees next season. Idk if because of injuries, Verdugo just really sucking, or Boone being Boone, but Grisham will find a way

Or maybe because until whenever Dominguez makes it back Grisham is the only center fielder on the roster?

e: I know they're going to try to play Judge there every day but that'll last about a month before he gets hurt again, and then it'll be Grisham Time all the time bay bee.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

There's literally never been a Japanese free agent like Ohtani before. He doesn't have an uncle from LA pushing him to sign with LA.

I will never ever get over that...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grisham is a very good defensive CFer as well.

Grisham should be a late inning defensive replacement who gets like 200 ABs. Any more than that is a big issue because he's an absolutely dogshit hitter.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I'm extremely worried that you're right.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

This isn't so funny as much as the comments trying to argue that Gausman, George Springer, Hyun-Jin Ryu and a 2023 version of Claude Giroux are "stars"

https://x.com/EricMacramalla/status/1732769386237223320?s=20
I will not stand for this Hyun-Jin Ryu slander

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

If Tatis gets back to who he was in 2019-21, and he's still on 25, he can replace Soto's production.

Counting in a 45 OPS+ jump from a guy who hasn't put up numbers like that since he was caught using PED's seems like an ill-advised strategy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Counting in a 45 OPS+ jump from a guy who hasn't put up numbers like that since he was caught using PED's seems like an ill-advised strategy.

He got caught using PEDs rushing back from a wrist injury he got during the lockout and couldn't tell the team about it. There's nothing to suggest that His 19-21 production was juiced.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol looks like the Cubs are going to do jack poo poo and hope the kids are good, fast.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lol looks like the Cubs are going to do jack poo poo and hope the kids are good, fast.

Carter Hawkins straight up said this at the Winter Meetings. Specifically they don't want to make any long-term FA deals that block prospects close to arrival in the pipe. It's presumably why they didn't go after Candy at his very sensible 3/45 price and are instead going to trot out a Frankenstein of Morel/Madrigal/Wisdom at 3B again hoping that Shaw continues to break the minors over his knee and arrives lat in the season to save them.

They gotta do something to replace Cody's production though or they're hosed.

live with fruit posted:

He got caught using PEDs rushing back from a wrist injury he got during the lockout and couldn't tell the team about it. There's nothing to suggest that His 19-21 production was juiced.

We'll see I guess. I'd like him to be good because he's cool and fun and makes angry old white guys like Eric Hosmer irrationally mad, but it's not like Tatis only played half a season: he got over 600 PA's this year during which he just wasn't hitting the ball nearly as hard as he had been prior.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The substance Tatis got popped for was a very dumb one to get caught for, it wasn't the kind of thing that was hard to detect. It seems unlikely that he was using the same thing for years without getting tested at all and only got caught several years in. More likely, his down production last year is related to missing an entire year of baseball the year before.

He could also taper off for completely non-PED reasons. Puig never topped his rookie year OPS+ and his second best season was also his second one.

We'll just have to wait and see.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 7, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He shows up to spring training just covered in ring worm, like he was attacked by a barrel of fungal octopodes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

He shows up to spring training just covered in ring worm, like he was attacked by a barrel of fungal octopodes

"MLB wanted this."

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tatis had a down year because of Machado's poor leadership, duh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the last month I think Toronto has just been the team agents and media are using to prop up and stoke negotiations. I could be wrong and they probably are pushing to do something. But it feels like over the last couple of weeks they’ve just been randomly added to every story as the surprise new bidder and it all feels like posturing and them being used to me. I could be wrong. We’ll see.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Traxis posted:

Tatis had a down year because of Machado's poor leadership, duh

I was about to make a joke about how if the Padres also want to salary dump Machado the Cubs will graciously take him but then I looked at that contract and jesus loving christ lmao.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can machado play shortstop ?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

Can machado play shortstop ?

He can't even play third till like Memorial Day.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

For the last month I think Toronto has just been the team agents and media are using to prop up and stoke negotiations. I could be wrong and they probably are pushing to do something. But it feels like over the last couple of weeks they’ve just been randomly added to every story as the surprise new bidder and it all feels like posturing and them being used to me. I could be wrong. We’ll see.

It's them bullshitting their fans, not being used.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

when are the braves announcing the ohtani signing?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MaoistBanker posted:

This isn't so funny as much as the comments trying to argue that Gausman, George Springer, Hyun-Jin Ryu and a 2023 version of Claude Giroux are "stars"

https://x.com/EricMacramalla/status/1732769386237223320?s=20

The only one that I can think of is Roger Clemens but that was 25 years ago and after back to back Cy Youngs he demanded to be traded :cawg:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

No team is getting this far down the road with Ohtani if they aren't actually intending to sign him to a 500m+ deal.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Biggest news of the offseason for the Orioles:

https://twitter.com/luxury/status/1732841381406642424

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

duomo posted:

holy poo poo happy news for baltimore orioles fans who knew

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How many more innings does Ohtani pitch between now and the end of his major league career? 250?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

How many more innings does Ohtani pitch between now and the end of his major league career? 250?

look at this bad post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

duomo posted:

I’m extremely surprised that the Angelos family would sell, but I know there were some lawsuits inside the family over ownership control, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The under isn't a crazy bet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Dog posted:

Zero

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Well Played Mauer posted:

It's probably the Soto endorphins talking but I don't think the Yankees are done in the outfield yet. I know the priority is Yamamoto and it should be, but unless they're really confident that Dominguez is gonna bounce back from TJ quickly, leaving Judge in center for a long term seems to be a thing he's OK with but they aren't. Right now the starting three are probably Verdugo (gross) in LF, Judge in CF, and Soto in RF. That's gonna put a lot of demand on Judge to cover a lot of ground. I don't really buy the whole CF is an injury pit thing, but everyone else seems to so it's a concern for sure.

That outfield is definitely an improvement over last year's dumpster fire, but with Cashman on the hottest seat he's been on I just feel like this is more of a 2008 offseason than what we've seen since.

In short: flags fly forever. Spend the money, Hal.

Where do you move Judge then? Can't DH him unless you're just going to eat Stanton's money

e: also Judge is a legit good defensive outfielder so DHing him seems wasteful

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 7, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mcmagic posted:

The under isn't a crazy bet

I really wanted to put it at 200 but didn't want to seem like I was just being provocative.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
bunch of people ITT doubting Ohtani after multiple MVPs and showing he is absolutely dedicated both mentally and physically to doing both smh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Where do you move Judge then? Can't DH him unless you're just going to eat Stanton's money

They'll only be healthy at the same time for like 20 games max so I don't think it's an issue

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Looks like the Counsell signing was just so they could try to squeeze a few more wins out of this team. Waiting for some 1-year deals for washed up vets to hold the fort down.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I never thought the Cubs would be in on Ohtani but Bellinger seemed like a no-brainer. Guy was great here, provides a lefty power bat they need in the middle of the order, and seemed to like it in Chicago. Get a couple years in CF till PCA is ready and then he can shift to 1B or a corner outfield spot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cubs'll probably bring Bellinger back after Ohtani signs and Bellinger finds out no one's willing to give him the $300M contract he wants.

Always possible Toronto freaks out in frustration after Ohtani blueballs them and gives Bellinger all the money though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No team is getting this far down the road with Ohtani if they aren't actually intending to sign him to a 500m+ deal.
Yeah the fact that he was visiting their complex in Dunedin this past Monday means the interest is real

It is funny though, watching Yankees fans try to conjure up excuses for a superstar taking interest in Toronto but not New York

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

duomo posted:

The Orioles getting a new owner right as their youth movement crests would be pretty cool

This guy is from Baltimore, 74 years old, and worth over $3B according to Forbes so that sounds like a recipe for "WIN BEFORE I DIE" moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah the fact that he was visiting their complex in Dunedin this past Monday means the interest is real

It is funny though, watching Yankees fans try to conjure up excuses for a superstar taking interest in Toronto but not New York

He's a unique human being who is allowed to not want to work in new york city. it's fine! I actually could make more money if i was willing to work in new york city and i actively don't want to. It's fine.