Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i swear that "minigame" in the arah path where you relay the lantern is bugged to hell every group i've done that with took like a half hour on that alone constantly throwing that thing and having it shatter at the recipient's feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Unless something has changed in the past few weeks - the orb throwing has always been a little weird. You need to have the thrown object itself to pass through the character's hitbox, not just placing the AoE indicator at their feet, so in practice you need to throw a bit behind them so that they'll catch it.

Or just use a thief/mesmer and have them portal + teleport the orb to the end

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I wouldn't do that particular path without goons. There's a few of that have the lantern poo poo down to a science and can do it w/ like 2 people

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have some questions about alacrity mech i hope someone can take the time to answer. I have found several builds online and there and there are quite a lot of variation to them, so i am trying to figure out which differences are impactful and not. I don't have the resources to try all the variants so i need to figure this out before investing into new gear.

Basically i want an alacrity build for difficult open world content like the final fight in dragon's end. Boon uptime and survivability takes priority over dps

Is rifle still the go-to weapon for alacrit mech?
It seems the alacrity skill is fairly short range, does that mean you will be mostly in melee range despite using a rifle?
I have found builds on hardstuck and snowcrows. These seems very minmaxed so i assume they are for raids? These builds state you must have a minimum of 32% boon duration, and 100% crit. 32% boon duration sounds stressful so i am thinking of increasing that? Why does these build need 100% crit? Just for damage or are there any procs or triggers from critting?
I have found a recent build using a hammer instead, how does that hold up to rifle?
The same hammer build has a survivability variant for open world content. That immediately drew my eye, however when looking at the build it is mostly just swapping out firearms for alchemy resulting in a lot more boon duration but no real difference in hitpoints. What makes this a survivabilty build?
Can i use rifle instead of hammer in this same survivability build?

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I have some questions about alacrity mech i hope someone can take the time to answer. I have found several builds online and there and there are quite a lot of variation to them, so i am trying to figure out which differences are impactful and not. I don't have the resources to try all the variants so i need to figure this out before investing into new gear.

Basically i want an alacrity build for difficult open world content like the final fight in dragon's end. Boon uptime and survivability takes priority over dps

Is rifle still the go-to weapon for alacrit mech?
It seems the alacrity skill is fairly short range, does that mean you will be mostly in melee range despite using a rifle?
I have found builds on hardstuck and snowcrows. These seems very minmaxed so i assume they are for raids? These builds state you must have a minimum of 32% boon duration, and 100% crit. 32% boon duration sounds stressful so i am thinking of increasing that? Why does these build need 100% crit? Just for damage or are there any procs or triggers from critting?
I have found a recent build using a hammer instead, how does that hold up to rifle?
The same hammer build has a survivability variant for open world content. That immediately drew my eye, however when looking at the build it is mostly just swapping out firearms for alchemy resulting in a lot more boon duration but no real difference in hitpoints. What makes this a survivabilty build?
Can i use rifle instead of hammer in this same survivability build?

Most builds have swapped to Hammer because its more DPS. If you're mainly concerned with open world, you can stick with rifle to have a bit more flexibility in terms of positioning (although you need to stay close to your mech). The alac skill range is 600, which is quite wide as far as boon ranges go (edit: oops forgot that the barrier mech skill only has 360 range). But going melee is generally easier, unless you have a good eye (and skill) for positioning your mech.

The Mr Mystic build looks fairly standard, so I'd go with that. You don't need to go above that boon duration - as around that gets you to 100% alac uptime. The survivability one is about increasing self healing and condition removal.

DoNotFeedTheBear fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 6, 2023

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i did arah 4 today with guild it took 42 minutes

gently caress arah

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I did arah 1 (despite saying I wouldn't) and it still took like 35 minutes

still not as bad as near launch dungeon running!!! Running dungeons does make me realize how big of a number elite specs did on the game though lol

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I remember doing arah p4 in 2013 and it took us like four hours.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mr. Neutron posted:

I remember doing arah p4 in 2013 and it took us like four hours.

same, but the spider dungeon at launch. the one in the sylvari zone? you know the one.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Holy poo poo I gassed myself up on thinking that the bouncy chest with 80 tokens? That was dungeon rush stuff. I had so little incentive to run dungeons that I completely forgot that's just regular rewards.

God drat. Well, I guess this does still make me want to run dungeons, but I also feels like it's very dire that I couldn't remember that these *were the regular rewards*

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0epxFmh3Ub/
They teased a little of the new things for Wintersday.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Did a couple jump puzzles today and wanted to come back for a thanking you. I finished off the Ember Bay collection and then have completed that puzzle and a bunch more. I still need to get better, but it's not a daunting task ending in abject misery. :cheersbird:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just did a Convergence for the first time, that was surprisingly easy. Best part about it was the mastery point for doing one, since I still need like 30 of them to finish all the mastery tracks. No idea what to choose from the chest at the end, so I just stashed it for now.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

binge crotching posted:

No idea what to choose from the chest at the end, so I just stashed it for now.
And map meta chests from basically every expansion map, and misc event weapon set rewards. Loot paralysis.

Someone who is good at looting please help me loot this. My bank tabs are dying.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
For the Skywatch/Amnytas/Nayos choice chests, you'll probably want the first item (ie, Case of Captured Lightning) if you plan to make the new legendary armor. If you never plan to make the legendary armor, I think it depends on your goals.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Usually amalgamated gemstones or jade runestones are what you want for raw gold.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I have like 18 unopened Convergence choice chests because I have no idea what I need from it.

I'm guessing it's probably best to just hold onto them and assess how many of each tier of essence I need once the armor is officially out. Weird that it offers amalgamated when none of that is needed for SotO so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ptroll posted:

Usually amalgamated gemstones or jade runestones are what you want for raw gold.

this is the way

gandlethorpe posted:

I have like 18 unopened Convergence choice chests because I have no idea what I need from it.

I'm guessing it's probably best to just hold onto them and assess how many of each tier of essence I need once the armor is officially out. Weird that it offers amalgamated when none of that is needed for SotO so far.

i'm stashing all the convergence/rift chests, they're far more inventory efficient than essence stacks :v:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Truga posted:

i'm stashing all the convergence/rift chests, they're far more inventory efficient than essence stacks :v:

Especially when it's so easy to run out of the ecto to combine them now :negative:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly with how much farming you will have to do getting the essences from the chests is kind of a waste

Amalgamated gemstones or the items for legendary crafting are just the way to go, tbh

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Reoxygenation posted:

Honestly with how much farming you will have to do getting the essences from the chests is kind of a waste

Amalgamated gemstones or the items for legendary crafting are just the way to go, tbh

I have to disagree if only because gold comes from everywhere else in the game but kryptis essences only come from here. 70s for a gemstone is not as valuable as Having to Do Less Rifts

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Sure but I have like a third of a legendary armor set from just doing a daily-ish convergence and doing the weekly 5 rifts per some area for like, 2-3 weeks since SotO released. If they were like, 5x the amount of what is currency offered, but lol @ 100/50/20

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2023

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Tried out the Hammer Alacrity Mech build from MrMystic.
Opted to go for the video variant and not the survivability variant.
Not sure hammer is my playstyle, both rifle and p/p feels so much more fun to use.
Had a good first impression of the build by getting 3 back to back rifts at the end of the world in Nayos, and flinging myself off said world with Hammer3 on every rift (despite the rift boss being between me and the edge, and targeted)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Reoxygenation posted:

Sure but I have like a third of a legendary armor set from just doing a daily-ish convergence and doing the weekly 5 rifts per some area for like, 2-3 weeks since SotO released. If they were like, 5x the amount of what is currency offered, but lol @ 100/50/20

Well, we don't know yet what the final collection to unlock the tokens from Lyhr entails. Could be another Kryptis sink.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Well, we don't know yet what the final collection to unlock the tokens from Lyhr entails. Could be another Kryptis sink.

I don't think they wash their hands, OP

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

poo poo. That is true, hadn't considered that

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Speaking of mrmystic, the latest scourge OW build he's posted is absolutely bananas. I never thought any build could ever match celestial salvation vindicator in sheer durability but this one certainly does.
I only modified it slightly to include signet of undeath instead of third well (on single target if things aren't dying around you the life force generation is somewhat slow) and firebrand runes (I hate having quickness drop, ever)

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Tried out the Hammer Alacrity Mech build from MrMystic.
Opted to go for the video variant and not the survivability variant.
Not sure hammer is my playstyle, both rifle and p/p feels so much more fun to use.
Had a good first impression of the build by getting 3 back to back rifts at the end of the world in Nayos, and flinging myself off said world with Hammer3 on every rift (despite the rift boss being between me and the edge, and targeted)

Welcome to hammer 3 engi. You end up getting gud at knowing where you are with respect to edges around you and repositioning. But if you have your target locked in you shouldn't go past them - if you do, it means you probably accidentally retargeted (which is easy to do, depending on settings). It is a very solid build though, so don't give up on it just yet!

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of mrmystic, the latest scourge OW build he's posted is absolutely bananas. I never thought any build could ever match celestial salvation vindicator in sheer durability but this one certainly does.
I only modified it slightly to include signet of undeath instead of third well (on single target if things aren't dying around you the life force generation is somewhat slow) and firebrand runes (I hate having quickness drop, ever)

Double post, but yeah it's good. Scourge is one of my fav specs.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I've been playing GW1 lately as a ritualist and it makes me feel frustration from the short durations of the sand spirits created by hammering F1 in GW2. If they lasted twice as long or attacked like ritualist spirits, I would never not play scourge.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You could always try Engineer turrets :sicknasty:

(Don’t do this)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

not every turrret is great but net turret is old reliable for raid contexts where you can deny an add from ever getting to move

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of mrmystic, the latest scourge OW

Is this one of the new beta weapons, and nerfs are incoming?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ineptitude posted:

Is this one of the new beta weapons, and nerfs are incoming?

Nope, pistol is available to all necros right now. You can also use a scepter if you prefer (or properly minmax by swapping between them but then you're playing a lazy open world build wrong :v:).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pistol/Torch Necro of all flavors is really powerful and synergizes well.

I haven't backed off from it, even as Reaper.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Do people still run the Serpents' Ire meta in Vabbi? For whatever reason, I decided doing that little golem dude's collection would be the way I finish my Sandswept Isles achievements for Vision.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

gandlethorpe posted:

Do people still run the Serpents' Ire meta in Vabbi? For whatever reason, I decided doing that little golem dude's collection would be the way I finish my Sandswept Isles achievements for Vision.

Not regularly. It does happen, but you might benefit from waiting til it comes on one of the daily or weekly rotations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
You can probably get it tonight if you're in NA. There's a guild that does PoFridays and I'm pretty sure they do Serpents Ire. I see it announced on the OTC discord.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Yes, Frog sometimes does a meta run that includes SI. i can not for the life of me remember the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ok, cool. I did find a comment on reddit mentioning a guild that runs all the PoF metas, but it was from almost a year ago. Good to know it's still going on.