Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
FDev could cease all development for the game, take the servers into offline only mode and fire all the staff if only they gave us the ability to land on full atmo planets because at that point I would literally neither need nor want anything else from ED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

HonorableTB posted:

FDev could cease all development for the game, take the servers into offline only mode and fire all the staff if only they gave us the ability to land on full atmo planets because at that point I would literally neither need nor want anything else from ED.

Except they can't, because offline mode was a big con to drive that kickstarter money.

*shakes fist at imaginary clouds because it's not like we can land on planets with real ones*

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

HonorableTB posted:

If they take the servers offline, who will I war wing with ? :smith:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The game needs several things to be functional offline.and truly complete.

One, landing on all rocky planets.
Two, atmosphere exploration of gas giants.
Three, the ability to hire NPCs to be wing mates in real ships not just fighters.
Four, make NPCS actually trade and move goods around for a truly dynamic economy.
Five, more stuff to find in the black that can add to the history of the universe. Generation ships are good examples, but maybe rogue planets that kick you out of witchspace between stars that have unique exobiology or geology. Anything to add variety.

Too bad it'll never happen, but I can be happy with what it does have for a loooong time.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Alternatively, add on all the industry/player-driven economy features of Eve.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol at sidewinder on fire

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
For some reason, the first time I got arrested (about an hour of play in), instead of respawning on a prison in the starter area, I respawned on a prison ship hundreds of light years away in the rear end end of nowhere, and rather than take the free Sidewinder I just caught a taxi to the nearest shipyard and have left it there ever since as a memorial.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
The starter area is a pretty new addition, you lose the permit for it when you get your first rank in anything, so the game decided you're all grow'd up and sent you on your merry way. They added the zone to stop players ganking brand new sidewinders, there's no other reason to want to be there than safety in open mode.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The target number for this latest Community Goal seems wildly optimistic at best and like it was deliberately picked to be impossible at worst. There's less than a day left and we haven't even hit Tier 1 yet, despite almost a thousand people participating which is a decent chunk of the entire regularly-active playerbase (from Steam stats there's consistently 2000-2500 people playing at any given time, peaking to 4000 or so at primetime, so taking into account that most people don't play literally every day, probably around 5000-6000 people?).

It did net me a pretty big pile of cash for how little I've been playing, about 2.5 million credits in profit per 96-ton delivery, but it still seems weird that the target was set so high that hundreds of people delivering literal millions of units of cargo doesn't even move the needle.

It's a ridiculously easy goal to do, too - two of the three goal commodities are produced at Leesti which is one jump away, so you can do several round trips per hour, and from the numbers it looks like people have. I guess maybe they set the number so high to try to balance that?

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 6, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Frontier and making bad decisions in the name of "balance" - name a more iconic duo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

fdev lives in constant fear of giving the players what they want

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Fdev's estimations for community goals have always been terrible. Sometimes it's the opposite problem, if the rewards are right the thing finishes within a few hours.

At a glance it doesn't look like a very interesting CG, the rewards are a discount on already very cheap ships in inverse order of their actual value (Chieftains are way better than Crusaders, despite the asking price), the earnings from hauling for it aren't good, and it coincided with a fairly big AX community event which drew a lot of interest. Personally I didn't even know there was a CG on until reading this post.

These things just ebb and flow a bit. A large portion of those 1000 participants in inara will have just done one delivery or so to get their foot in the door.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This is the first one I've ever seen and it was really not that interesting - again, the commodities for it were available one jump away in massive quantities, so there wasn't really any strategizing or route-planning or even having to search for the goods, it was just a cycle of jump-supercruise-dock-undock-jump-supercuise-dock-undock until I got bored. The source-and-return missions are at least kind of interesting because sometimes it'll be something that isn't available nearby so I have to search for it, or something whose nearest source is a planetary settlement so I have to go land somewhere - this was just one of those where everything you need is right next door, and that's kind of lame.

It's kind of a shame because this is the first one I've seen and I was actually kind of interested to see how it would/if it would effect the story, just out of curiosity, and the event wasn't interesting as a gameplay experience, had an underwhelming reward, and is also going to completely fail to meet its goal.

On the bright side I am still very much enjoying the game overall, and am looking forward to getting back to the remote backwater I have been tooling around in so I can continue putting various local communist parties in power.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mister Bates posted:

This is the first one I've ever seen and it was really not that interesting - again, the commodities for it were available one jump away in massive quantities, so there wasn't really any strategizing or route-planning or even having to search for the goods, it was just a cycle of jump-supercruise-dock-undock-jump-supercuise-dock-undock until I got bored. The source-and-return missions are at least kind of interesting because sometimes it'll be something that isn't available nearby so I have to search for it, or something whose nearest source is a planetary settlement so I have to go land somewhere - this was just one of those where everything you need is right next door, and that's kind of lame.

It's kind of a shame because this is the first one I've seen and I was actually kind of interested to see how it would/if it would effect the story, just out of curiosity, and the event wasn't interesting as a gameplay experience, had an underwhelming reward, and is also going to completely fail to meet its goal.

On the bright side I am still very much enjoying the game overall, and am looking forward to getting back to the remote backwater I have been tooling around in so I can continue putting various local communist parties in power.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Elite: Dangerous - it was just a cycle of jump-supercruise-dock-undock-jump-supercuise-dock-undock until I got bored

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Elite: Dangerous - wasn't interesting as a gameplay experience, had an underwhelming reward, and is also going to completely fail to meet its goal.

2000 hours later somehow.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
yeah it'd be nice if they actually made the CGs worth doing but it seems like there's 1 in 10 that's actually worth participating in these days

I also swear they just sort of blindly set the CG goals based on previous traffic, so following up a gold rush with a literal nothing is lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://www.jades.org/ffe.htm

https://www.jades.org/shiprevs.htm

Incase you need help figuring out who the best is

Worf fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 7, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I loved my Asp Explorer in FFE, and honestly it's doing pretty drat well for me in E:D too, although I have enough money now that I am about to buy another couple of ships just to try them out a bit.

Also, it means absolutely nothing from a gameplay perspective, but I am kind of sad that you don't have NPC crew anymore except for fighter pilots, I kind of liked the immersion of having to hire people to crew the larger ships (the Anaconda required a whopping eight to operate). Graduating to my first ship that required me to hire a crew for it was neat, it added to the sense of progression more so than just changing the stats. Hell, maybe keep them optional but let me stick 'em on turrets for an accuracy bonus or tie some other kind of buff to them, so it's a tradeoff you can make.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

I loved my Asp Explorer in FFE, and honestly it's doing pretty drat well for me in E:D too, although I have enough money now that I am about to buy another couple of ships just to try them out a bit.

Also, it means absolutely nothing from a gameplay perspective, but I am kind of sad that you don't have NPC crew anymore except for fighter pilots, I kind of liked the immersion of having to hire people to crew the larger ships (the Anaconda required a whopping eight to operate). Graduating to my first ship that required me to hire a crew for it was neat, it added to the sense of progression more so than just changing the stats. Hell, maybe keep them optional but let me stick 'em on turrets for an accuracy bonus or tie some other kind of buff to them, so it's a tradeoff you can make.

I want to fill those empty seats on my ships so badly :( It gets lonely out there, even having an NPC would help with that.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Indeed, I am unreasonably angry that your hired copilot doesn't appear in the ship

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah being able to hire NPCs would be great. They could take a % like they do now, but actually show up in your ship and maybe provide slight buffs to things as they get more exp.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the next big space sim game will have AI that can conversate with u

i do not mean any game in development on cryengine

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Did you they ever make it so you can use your space legs inside your own ships?

I know it used to be that only the Anaconda and like 1-2 other ships even had rendered interiors, and that was for the hull damage effects.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
No, you're still glued to your cockpit seat on everything except a fleet carrier, and the fleet carrier interiors are X4-style instanced rooms. The fleet carrier's bridge and lounge windows do at least overlook the docking pads, though, so you can hang out in the captain's quarters and watch ships come and go.

E:D and X4 are really massively different games, but I am still kind of surprised that the one which is actually a real-time strategy game in which actually flying your ship around is largely something you order your subordinates to do so you can spend more time reviewing spreadsheets has fully-rendered cockpits and bridges you can get up and walk around in, while the one that is focused on being an immersive space sim does not.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 7, 2023

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Space legs suck, gimme better gameplay loops.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still amused that people wanting space legs for years just wanted the ability to walk around their ship, and that's the one thing space legs didn't do and focused all the time and effort on subpar stealth/pvp with bots gameplay

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Yeah I’m disgusted they added gameplay to the walking instead of making it a glorified loading screen that would lose its appeal the third or fourth time you’re forced to schlep from your cockpit to the airlock

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Oh they did both

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You mean like docking a large ship currently is

But no, I mean that in both a "they completely ignored what people were asking for" way and a "they spent a lot of time developing something nobody asked for" way, schlepping around your cockpit to feel more immersed in your han solo fantasy and take pictures of yourself in your arx suit would have been a Major Patch worth of development, not $40 of DLC and multiple years worth of development (that also hosed up the planet gen, and the lighting, and the BGS itself for several months)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Seams posted:

Yeah I’m disgusted they added gameplay to the walking instead of making it a glorified loading screen that would lose its appeal the third or fourth time you’re forced to schlep from your cockpit to the airlock

Braben account spotted

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I dunno, I kinda agree with Seams in a way. I absolutely would've preferred them to focus development on refining and expanding the core gameplay loops of Elite, like they should've done a "nu-mining" style revamp patch for piracy, racing, CQC, powerplay, war cycles, bounty hunting, missions etc which would've required fewer resources and left the game in a much more enjoyable, less poo poo-assedly-broken place than Oddity did. However, given they were set on doing space legs I guess I'm glad we got some kind of actual gameplay out of it, as accurately modelling the interior of the 38 gigantic spacecraft we can currently fly just so we could vanity wank about with some potted plants or something would've been even more of a waste of time.

We do seem to have ended up with the worst of both worlds somehow. It's hilarious that they said on stream "we don't want you to have to walk to the airlock every time you want to disembark" but then happily force you to do this every time you want to get to the concourse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edgK0cuBa_M

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 8, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They wanted headline features to sell an expansion with. You don't get that with revamps of old systems

Imo the core problem in the fame is that combat scenarios are just bad. If they had some cruiser scale threats plus something like FRED where people could submit missions that would be incredible. But what we've got is encounters where the scripting breaks half the time anyway.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 8, 2023

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

No, I understand why they did it. But it is sad that we're playing a game where half the advertised features don't actually work due to neglect. It's also sad that they torpedoed their entire playerbase with an unfinished module nobody asked for.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

So odyssey is out for like 12 bucks on sale.

Last I played I fitted out an ASP to go out space sailing and collecting data, but I'm thinking there's gotta be a million ways to make buck as a space trucker and board a Conda for exploration once I get rich

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
VR users wanted to walk around their ships, so they implemented walking, but not on ships, and not for VR.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
There's a reason the :frontear: emote exists.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Mr. Pickles posted:

So odyssey is out for like 12 bucks on sale.

Last I played I fitted out an ASP to go out space sailing and collecting data, but I'm thinking there's gotta be a million ways to make buck as a space trucker and board a Conda for exploration once I get rich

With odyssey you can get pretty rich from exploration now. The plant scanning thing got its payouts buffed so you can make decent bank from it. I think the gameplay loop for it still needs work but lots of people seem to enjoy it.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

kemikalkadet posted:

With odyssey you can get pretty rich from exploration now. The plant scanning thing got its payouts buffed so you can make decent bank from it. I think the gameplay loop for it still needs work but lots of people seem to enjoy it.

Sweet! Do I need a buggy for this? I recall my ASP is fitted to brim and I ve got no money

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

Sweet! Do I need a buggy for this? I recall my ASP is fitted to brim and I ve got no money

Only if you want to. What you need is an Artemis-suit for your character, and a ship. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Explorers barely got anything from the Odyssey FPS nonsense. The plant payouts were insultingly low at first too.

It was probably an accident, but the carrier update and the plant payout update indirectly improved neglected things. Small ships now have a purpose for plant scanning with carrier support. The carrier introduction also made subsurface mining useful for tritium.

It's still insane to mine a full 25,000 tritium tank, but buying it allows you to go far. You have to really enjoy mining to go under 50% fuel in the black.