Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does the end of Wolfenstein: TNC remain the worst use of music in a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s certainly in the top ten

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

the end of Saints Row 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHIlNy2n1w

warning: Yiik

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'd link the punk/ska version of La Vida Loca from Gotham Knights but I ain't putting that poo poo in my algorithm.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Anyone planning on grabbing Rogue Trader today? I want it, but I think I'm gonna wait. Never played their other games but general consensus seems to be "likely buggy". Can't seem to find any pricing info anywhere and even though it comes out in a few hours Steam doesn't have a price listed :confused:

I got it and played for a few hours. Character creator is surprisingly robust, although my pick of a haughty powdered wig noble did not fit very well with opening segment of the game. Combat is solid, I don't understand leveling up yet but I'll get there. Seems faithful to the source material and the interior sections of the ship in the opening segments is pretty good. I like it.

It also has, by far, the most allowed characters for names that I've ever seen in a game

Apparently I forgot how to upload images here but Ser Maximillian Chomondeley Von Asquith Tennes XII is allowable

Admin edit: fixed image

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Wasn't the story like someone from that band literally saved the lead developer's life in an accident so that's why they were put in the game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Q-sixtysix posted:

I got it and played for a few hours. Character creator is surprisingly robust, although my pick of a haughty powdered wig noble did not fit very well with opening segment of the game. Combat is solid, I don't understand leveling up yet but I'll get there. Seems faithful to the source material and the interior sections of the ship in the opening segments is pretty good. I like it.

It also has, by far, the most allowed characters for names that I've ever seen in a game

Fixed ur borked link

That 'i have no intention of introducing myself' is classic, you can be haughty af in this game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

the end of Saints Row 2022

Wazzat?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't the story like someone from that band literally saved the lead developer's life in an accident so that's why they were put in the game

Not worth it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

Yakuza Kiwami suddenly playing Amazing Grace at the end

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Fixed ur borked link

That 'i have no intention of introducing myself' is classic, you can be haughty af in this game

Thank you!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

exquisite tea posted:

Control is like 1 part spooky to 4 parts comedy. It's a very funny game, maybe the funniest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXUyItb1ys&t=480s

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

All game long there's this runner among the main cast that they should go to karaoke. Your post-game reward is a long cutscene of a clip show of the game playing behind these four characters singing Love Shack.

Terribly. Not even comedic fashion, it's four voice actors who do not seem to be singers singing.

It's just a cutscene, you can't even gently caress around. It's real awful. This is also my vote for worst use of licensed music.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Q-sixtysix posted:

Apparently I forgot how to upload images here but Ser Maximillian Chomondeley Von Asquith Tennes XII is allowable

Admin edit: fixed image

With a magnificent name like that, it's downright criminal to allow them to simply call you "Your Grace". :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol that zombie game is getting dragged through the mud on steam reviews. Apparently despite advertising itself as some sort of MMO it's actually just a Tarkov clone?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Lol that zombie game is getting dragged through the mud on steam reviews. Apparently despite advertising itself as some sort of MMO it's actually just a Tarkov clone?

open world survival game that's actually a small server extraction shooter lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Seems to be the case. It's never a good thing when the developer has to put out an apology letter before the game comes out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
64 players on the same map like tarkov sounds pretty massive to people whove only played 5v5 ranked matchmaking games

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

explosivo posted:

Seems to be the case. It's never a good thing when the developer has to put out an apology letter before the game comes out.

Man we really are in the era of moving away from day 1 patches to day 1 apologies, aren't we?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the morning after the day before…

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Against the Storm is a great game and has been essentially feature complete since like 3-4 months ago - the updates since then have mostly been about better tutorials and UI, more lore additions and a few extra difficulty modes.

It's SUCH a good game - and I say this as someone who's never enjoyed citybuilders and finds them kind of boring. The difficulty is extremely accomodating - you can play on the lowest difficulty and have a pretty lax experience, or go climb the Prestige ladder and find your knowledge of the game's systems and timings tested pretty thoroughly. The random blueprints means you're always making do with what you've got and there's always a solution available to you to whatever problem you have (although this margin becomes considerably narrower at higher difficulties).

Metaprogression only felt like a chore to me when I reset my progress and started a new run at the highest difficulty available, and I was still able to win (though it was very close lol). You unlock more complex systems (such as new species, mechanics, buildings with alternate production schemes and values, etc.) which will make the transition to higher difficulties smoother, but it never feels like a brick wall. There are only a few things (like the specialized housing and the field kitchen) which feel like gamechangers, but mostly because it takes those buildings out of the blueprint pool and makes them always available.

On the world map, you have a bunch of different biomes, each having different resource distributions and traits? And you can also choose whether you'd like to tackle certain modifiers to further increase your end of settlement rewards? And that there's an 'endgame' for every run but it's completely optional?
Lastly, there's a lot of challenges and tasks you can work on to speed up metaprogression and unlock new perks and cosmetics during runs, such as 'have X amount of workers of this species' or 'finish a game without opening a single glade'.

It's real good and if the price still hasn't gone up prior to release, I recommend you buy it now if you're at all interested. The only thing getting added at release is an extra hard difficulty mode, that's it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
UnFntastic

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
"Run-based city builder" never really sounded like my jam but they nail the pacing so well. Every run basically feels like "the first part of a game of Civ before I start getting bored"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goferchan posted:

"Run-based city builder" never really sounded like my jam but they nail the pacing so well. Every run basically feels like "the first part of a game of Civ before I start getting bored"

It definitely helps that you aren't spending that much time with one town that you start to get attached to it. It sounded like a weird concept to me at first because I didn't quite know how it played and I spend tens of hours with one city in city builders so you grow attached to them, but they really do move you through towns quickly in this and every time you come to the next one with a little bit more knowledge or upgrades or new buildings to make that one thrive. It's hard to put down and I can't wait to get into it again now that it's coming out for real.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Disposable Scud posted:

I'd link the punk/ska version of La Vida Loca from Gotham Knights but I ain't putting that poo poo in my algorithm.

Lol, I thought I was having a stroke when that came on and I say that as one of the three people who enjoyed Gotham Knights.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Before another Vampire Survivors update swallows everything up, check out Picayune Dreams for something a bit off-the-wall.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like Against the Storm and I played a fair bit of it early in EA, but the way that you'd often have to choose buildings to unlock before knowing what resources you're going to run into in adjacent/reachable glades always rubbed me the wrong way. It was entirely possible to choose production buildings that would be completely useless to you because you'd never run across the resources they use to produce things and even though it never actually happened to me it felt like it was possible to accidentally stick yourself in a fail state that you wouldn't even realize was a fail state until you'd explored the entire map. Has anything been done to fix that or alleviate the pain?

e: I know you can delay choosing new building unlocks but I'd often be in situations where I needed whatever specific building but it wasn't offered in the current choice, so I'd just have to pick one of the available buildings and hope the building I wanted was available in the next roll - and that first unlock that I did just to get to the next roll could end up being useless.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 8, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like Against the Storm and I played a fair bit of it early in EA, but the way that you'd often have to choose buildings to unlock before knowing what resources you're going to run into in adjacent/reachable glades always rubbed me the wrong way. It was entirely possible to choose production buildings that would be completely useless to you because you'd never run across the resources they use to produce things. Has anything been done to fix that or alleviate the pain?

You could...just wait? Just don't pick the blueprints until you have opened up the neighboring glades?
It's not like you're going to be rushing out those buildings usually. You hardly need anything besides the starting buildings for a couple of seasons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had that complaint, but there are always like 2-3 Small Glades immediately nearby - just use the Tree Chopping tool to beeline the glades and see what's inside. THEN draft your starting buildings around when you get your first few Orders

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the departure ui and the pause screen explicitly tell you what resources can be found on a map

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lol
Well there are kind of different standards. There are a lot of games that are good, like a 7/10 game. Those come out constantly. But how many games that aren't a 9 or a 10 are worth your time? The difference between a good enough game and a good game is enormous. Compare Dark Souls III to Dark Souls. That's a lightning bug and a lightning bolt.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like Against the Storm and I played a fair bit of it early in EA, but the way that you'd often have to choose buildings to unlock before knowing what resources you're going to run into in adjacent/reachable glades always rubbed me the wrong way. It was entirely possible to choose production buildings that would be completely useless to you because you'd never run across the resources they use to produce things and even though it never actually happened to me it felt like it was possible to accidentally stick yourself in a fail state that you wouldn't even realize was a fail state until you'd explored the entire map. Has anything been done to fix that or alleviate the pain?

e: I know you can delay choosing new building unlocks but I'd often be in situations where I needed whatever specific building but it wasn't offered in the current choice, so I'd just have to pick one of the available buildings and hope the building I wanted was available in the next roll - and that first unlock that I did just to get to the next roll could end up being useless.

I think about a year or so ago they added an icon next to the advisor's portrait when choosing a blueprint - it'll tell you what resource types exist in the map as well as the availability of fertile soil. It's also in the pause menu.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My Opinion is that some studios really need to start naming their games in more distinct ways, I can't loving tell half of the titles apart, and am constantly mis-labelling them in my mind. Against the Storm sounds like an RTS, or at least something with a lot of combat as you fend off a hoarde, not a city-builder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

My Opinion is that some studios really need to start naming their games in more distinct ways, I can't loving tell half of the titles apart, and am constantly mis-labelling them in my mind. Against the Storm sounds like an RTS, or at least something with a lot of combat as you fend off a hoarde, not a city-builder.

It's called Against the Storm because the weather is the primary antagonist.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Blattdorf posted:

Before another Vampire Survivors update swallows everything up, check out Picayune Dreams for something a bit off-the-wall.

Yeah, I've been playing Picayune Dreams myself and having a good time so far! Re-posting my announcement from the Fresh Releases thread here:

------------

Picayune Dreams is out!

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256986510/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1701675101

A very intriguing, psychedelic and surreal Survivors-esque game with a creepy Yume Nikki narrative. As AlphaBetaGamer said: "Picayune Dreams does more than enough to avoid being another Vampire Survivors clone. The narrative is very intriguing, there’s a nice mixture of upgrades, the gameplay is a lot of fun and the soundtrack is superb."

It's just 5 bux so I've already picked it up and will probably give impressions in the Steam thread.

Artwork is by ANDYLAND if you're familiar with their work: https://www.youtube.com/@ANDYLANDCHANNEL

-------------

Notable points in its favor:
*Immaculate vibes - very psychedelic graphics, music, and general feel (no default unity asset pack junk here)
*An interesting narrative for people who want more than just increasing numbers with trippy Yume Nikki segments and tons of lore
*Cool bullet-hell bosses and good enemy design with tons of varied AI/patterns
*Neat metaprogression in the form of a skill tree with interesting perks (no boring % passives) and limited points so you have to make build decisions (refunds are free so experiment around)
*It's just 5 bux

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I didn't have World of Goo 2 , Pony Island 2 and a Golden Idol sequel on my TGA announcement Bingo. Sweet.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Anno posted:

a Golden Idol sequel

oh gently caress yes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2716400/The_Rise_of_the_Golden_Idol/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also a profoundly odd looking but probably fun if you have the right friend group kind of game from the Goose Game folks: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1478500/Big_Walk/