Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It never happens as fast as they say it will. Go find something to distract yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've been unemployed since July, I'm about to give my daughter the worst Christmas she's ever experienced because I barely have any money to get her anything, this is all I've got to look forward to right now. Like I said I know I'm jumping the gun a little but if I say I'll call somebody that afternoon I'll call them that afternoon. But if you guys don't think it's a big deal I'll keep waiting.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Call her, she can ignore a text but she is maybe less likely to ignore a phone call :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just chill out. Needy and nervous is a really bad look.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

New Leaf posted:

I've been unemployed since July, I'm about to give my daughter the worst Christmas she's ever experienced because I barely have any money to get her anything, this is all I've got to look forward to right now. Like I said I know I'm jumping the gun a little but if I say I'll call somebody that afternoon I'll call them that afternoon. But if you guys don't think it's a big deal I'll keep waiting.

I get it my dude. And no one agrees more that the recruiting process is broken and terrible than this thread. It sucks. We’re just telling you what is most likely to give you the best outcome.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Also continue to operate as if you are getting ghosted. Keep plugging.

However it's also holiday season and people are burning pto. Approvals will take longer and things that usually happen in hours might take a couple days. So don't give in to the intrusive thoughts quite yet either.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I talked with an internal recruiter on November 7th who said he wanted to get my resume in front of the hiring manager. I didn't hear anything and just figured the manager wasn't interested and the recruiter couldn't bother to let me know. Then today I got a call from him, between illness and a conference he hadn't been able to talk to the manager until now, but he wanted an interview so now that's scheduled for tomorrow.

There's just so much hurry up and wait in this process, no way of knowing what's going on on the other side, and no way of knowing how they'll react to contact or lack of contact. Just a terrible poo poo show with no right answers.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

However it's also holiday season and people are burning pto. Approvals will take longer and things that usually happen in hours might take a couple days. So don't give in to the intrusive thoughts quite yet either.

Oh yeah, this bears repeating for the thread. I can remember this time of year my work would grind to a halt because every time I needed to hear back from someone I'd get an out of office reply. Lots of senior people trying to take their 20+ vacation days before they evaporate at the end of the year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nothing ever happens in December.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've been kind of getting hustled through interviews at two places because I think both want to lock the roles down before the new year. I'm guessing though if it doesn't happen by the end of next week it'll be the big sleep pause until January though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I get it my dude. And no one agrees more that the recruiting process is broken and terrible than this thread. It sucks. We’re just telling you what is most likely to give you the best outcome.

You're all right of course, its just hard not to get hung up on it. When good news is the only thing that can pull you out of a spiral its the only thing you look for.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Oh yeah, this bears repeating for the thread. I can remember this time of year my work would grind to a halt because every time I needed to hear back from someone I'd get an out of office reply. Lots of senior people trying to take their 20+ vacation days before they evaporate at the end of the year.

Wait, if you don't use your paid time off it just gets taken off you???

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Chewbecca posted:

If you're in the US, it depends on the state and then the company. Three states have laws prohibiting use-it-or-lose-it PTO policies (California, Colorado, and one I always forget).

Outside those states, it's up to the company.

The latest stupid trend is unlimited PTO, which sounds great until you realize it leads to people taking LESS time off and prevents people from banking PTO for payouts when they leave their employer.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Isn't America just the best?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

Yes. Use it or lose it by the end of the year.

In practice this causes December to be the least productive month of the year. By a lot.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
California: Can’t lose PTO, noncompetes are invalid, salaries required in job ads

hell yeah

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Everywhere I've ever worked has been use or lose. However I'm also at like 6+ weeks so I don't mind too much.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The company I worked for from 2011-2016 would cash out your vacation at the end of the year. They also just laid off 20% of their staff, plus 2 VP's, so take from that what you will..

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chewbecca posted:

My current employer allows for a certain amount to be carried over year to year, but most people end up just taking enough to get under the cap.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
America prolly has lots of lovely labor law but forcing people to take vacation time is good, actually, imo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

an iksar marauder posted:

America prolly has lots of lovely labor law but forcing people to take vacation time is good, actually, imo

lol.

The way it actually works at many American companies is the policy is "use it or lose it" and then using it is punished or, if they can get away with it, outright refused.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My company requires you to take all your vacation every year. If you haven't used it up by year end, it's pushed into your calendar so you've used it all.

Win-win?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

You're one of the lucky ones. Most of the time you get grief for the audacity of wanting to use your earned vacation time and have to figure out your own coverage, thus inconvenientcing your coworkers. My last job had a really good safety net for that and we were more than happy to cover for each other, but previous jobs have been a nightmare to try and get any kind of coverage for PTO.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Habibi posted:

If you're in the US, it depends on the state and then the company. Three states have laws prohibiting use-it-or-lose-it PTO policies (California, Colorado, and one I always forget).

Outside those states, it's up to the company.

The latest stupid trend is unlimited PTO, which sounds great until you realize it leads to people taking LESS time off and prevents people from banking PTO for payouts when they leave their employer.

Nebraska, oddly. Though looking at this, it seems to be somewhat more widespread than you'd think...

https://www.ptogenius.com/resources/time-off-laws/us/faq/pto-payout-laws-by-state-separation

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Lots of places are moving to so-called unlimited PTO programs (or instead of 'unlimited' using other :jerkbag: euphemisms), which they like because it means they don't have to carry additional money on the balance sheets. (Or something to that effect, don't at me, I'm not a I am willing to accept it could work ok if there is a culture of taking time off and assessing that people are properly utilizing the PTO but lol if I'm dreaming I'd also like a pony.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ireland's laws are pretty much use it or lose it, but your company can carry if they like etc. Most places are fine with you having a couple of days that you need to use in January etc, but they don't really grok that you just end up having a few more days for January next year then. The one thing that is extremely important is the law stating that if you have asked too book leave and been denied then the company has to pay out if you hit year end.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

In Australia you would never lose your annual leave. It accrues over time, and it gets paid out if you leave your employer for any reason.

Many corporate workplaces have internal policies about not accruing too much leave, as it's a liability to the business - even then they can't force you to take it really.

I would never consider it a good thing for a workplace to force you to take your annual leave or they will take it off you. It's your entitlement, and not theirs to take.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

I would never consider it a good thing for a workplace to force you to take your annual leave or they will take it off you. It's your entitlement, and not theirs to take.

I assure you none of us "consider it a good thing".

Edit: Sorry I missed this absolute banger.

:lmao:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
As long as it’s actually used, use it or lose it is good imo. We can’t get people to take their time off and then they get burned out and it doesn’t work very well. You can roll a week which I think is plenty.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

wash bucket posted:

I assure you none of us "consider it a good thing".

Edit: Sorry I missed this absolute banger.

:lmao:

Yeah that's what I was responding too lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As long as it’s actually used, use it or lose it is good imo. We can’t get people to take their time off and then they get burned out and it doesn’t work very well. You can roll a week which I think is plenty.

You know what's even better?

Rolling over everything that is unused without having a cap on it

Edit: maybe this is a question of scale. In Australia a full time person will get 20 days of annual leave. You can have 2 weeks off and change (including public holidays) in one year, and roll annual leave over to have a longer holiday every second or third year (I went to Europe this year for 5 weeks)

Chewbecca fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"I thought I told you to stop letting all your vacation days pile up? Start taking some time off!"

The time off:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
That right there is why you get yourself a "work phone" that is turned off when you're not on the clock.

Chewbecca posted:

It's an entitlement in Ireland too, and the only way you don't get a benefit for it is if you don't ask to schedule it in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I worked at a place that let you cash out pto and it became a stupid badge of honor to get as much money as you can and everyone was miserable. Use it it lose it + a culture of generally universal pto acceptance is the best situation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lockback posted:

I worked at a place that let you cash out pto and it became a stupid badge of honor to get as much money as you can and everyone was miserable. Use it it lose it + a culture of generally universal pto acceptance is the best situation.

Agreed but it’s also true that without the latter the former is probably the worst method for PTO

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

I think I forget that Australia is vastly different from America in terms of attitudes towards work entitlements

One thing an Australian would never be proud of is not using their annual leave. That's insanity to me. Hell, we just love not going to work

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The biggest problem with PTO isn’t the specific policy but the culture around how often they bother you on PTO. I’ve caught extreme amounts of poo poo for not attending last second meetings on the phone because I’m at the beach with my kids. No I didn’t pay for a loving beach condo to sit on a work call while my children sit there learning this is OK or learning to hate me or whatever it would be.

Which is a lot of why I’m here. The work I do from 7-4:30 isn’t really the problem, it’s the PTO calls, the 3AM calls, the screaming if you don’t respond to one of them, etc.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

I think I forget that Australia is vastly different from America in terms of attitudes towards work entitlements

One thing an Australian would never be proud of is not using their annual leave. That's insanity to me. Hell, we just love not going to work

Preach. There are definitely weird exceptions though.

One place I was at, one guy had worked at the uni for 15 years, had long service as well as annual leave saved up, and barely took time off unless HR ordered him to. He viewed himself as indispensable and would work himself into a froth stressing out that things were going wrong while he wasn't there. His dad died and he still only wanted to take half days off.

Spoiler: he was, in fact, very dispensable and was made redundant. Would have got a loving massive payout though so maybe that was the plan all along. He definitely gave the impression that work was the only thing in his life, while also being bad at his job

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Lockback posted:

Mind you I’m European, where I live you schedule your pto in advance and whatever company you work at just has to deal with it. Use it or lose it basically forced people to chill out for N days a year which is great. You have to be able to actually Use It though, otherwise your situation sucks. But that’s not on use it/lose it.

Also get a dual sim or second phone already. We have to turn on OOO auto reply during non working hours whenever we work with Americans.

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Also get a dual sim or second phone already. We have to turn on OOO auto reply during non working hoursJune-August whenever we work with Americans.

Ftfy :v:

This is good content. I’ve got a poo poo ton of accrued leave that rolls over to March and I’m inspired to add a few days to my Christmas PTO. Next year’s resolution is to have little to no carryover.