Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I do actually Lord Solar looks good for what he is supposed to be. I don't you can get away with adding a mountain of awards and decorations to him because the general with a gently caress-ton of decorations ends up reading more villainous than I think Lord Solar is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Well he's the top commander of the army of unwilling conscripts serving the megafascist death cult government, he can read as a little villainous imo

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The problem with lord solar is he actually looks like a heroic no nonsense commander leading from the front with enough ostentation to stand out but not too much that they look like a toff in love with their own legend.

None of that is what I think of when I think imperial guard.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Geisladisk posted:

Well he's the top commander of the army of unwilling conscripts serving the megafascist death cult government, he can read as a little villainous imo

Yeah I think this highlights another problem with Lord Solar in that he just doesn't make any sense aesthetically from what we see of the Imperium and the Imperial Guard specifically in the lore.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I got the Lord Solar as a gift as I did not have a lot of urge to buy it. I just did not think it would mesh with my mechanized Cadian-themed army well. After painting it up and swapping the head out for one from the new Cadian Upgrade sprue, I grew to like it a lot more. Once the model meshed with my army, It grew on me. I'm by no means a good painter, but that's how it clicked for me.

I do think the criticism about the model is very valid, especially how no-nonsense it is while still being a guy riding a robo-horse into a mechanized warfare. That middle ground I do like, but Warhammer is not a subtle universe. Something more over the top or in the style of a Napoleonic painting would of been way more interesting.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I wonder if there were imposed design limitations in that they didn't want to go past the 80mm base size. That would be lame if it were true.

I like that he's devoid of patterned embroidery on his clothing because it makes kitbashing and customization easier. Also embroidered patterns is one of the ultimate "get good" painting techniques. It's a freehanders paradise of real estate.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I believe the limitation would be "no one wants to move around a dude on a horse that's on a dreadnought or Tyranid monster base"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Those people are cowards. :colbert:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I suppose when I say villainous what I specifically mean is incompetent and self-aggrandizing. The kind of general who invents new medals to give themselves. I can imagine some dipshit noble regimental advisor who leads from another planet entirely would be covered in medals. He is a commander, but not a good or worthy one.

I imagine that for someone like Lord Solar they want a leader who actually kicks rear end and his authority is matched by his skill and ability. He can and should be villainous in the sense that he will send millions to die in a war, but he won't be villainous in that he'll send them to die in a charge of light brigade.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm taking notes here, add more medals to my lord solar.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For inspiration you should look at Soviet commanders and generals. Just to get an idea of how far you can, and should go with it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For a moment I was going to object to the inclusion to the last two, but then I realised they also check out at the same time. :v:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

For inspiration you should look at Soviet commanders and generals. Just to get an idea of how far you can, and should go with it.

I'm converting a Cities of Sigmar cavalier, so I'm going to cross Renaissance Gendarmes with Tsarist Russian officers. Give him a fancy sash, a medallion or two, and a ton of medals. You are right though, definitely a good touch of aged soviet general.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Calling my warpsmith done minus some touchups on the warp hammer and base cleanup:

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

Calling my warpsmith done minus some touchups on the warp hammer and base cleanup:

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism!

This looks great! Bravo on the hazard stripes.

As your looking for suggestions, I'd hit the recesses of the tentacle joints with a generous amount of nuln oil, or the dark wash of your choice. It would really help define them more. Sometimes they have a shadow in the photos, the shadow creates good contrast, you basically want to force that with a wash.

I also really appreciate a minimalist base, I always want the focus on the mini.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Awesome model!

Could be just the lighting, but the plasma pistols glowy coils look pretty flat in the pictures. I mostly noticed because I'm currently struggling with those same coils on my Sentinel.

This picture is actually slightly better than reality, I think I had the lamp a bit too close so the white highlights on the coils look a bit more intense than reality.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Super Waffle posted:

I like the hazard striped greek crest!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Yeah I think this highlights another problem with Lord Solar in that he just doesn't make any sense aesthetically from what we see of the Imperium and the Imperial Guard specifically in the lore.

Guard really don't do it for me in 40k. If anyone truly insists they're the coolest because they are stock normal dudes I invite them to historicals where you can make any kind of history dude you like instead of dorks in football costumes, the models cost 1/3 as much, and the rules are universally better :colbert:

In the mean time they are boring as gently caress, sorry, gimme the pauldron'd space satanists and cow person gundam soviets and elfs and evil elfs and basically anyone else before

1. a guy (with squad of more guys)
2. squad of guys
3. another squad of guys
4. it's guys, ten more boring guys
5. an ugly tank
6. back to guys, but these ones have a big gun
7. different ugly tank
8. this tank is BIG (and ugly)
9. guys again, a whole more squad of guys

And they're supposed to be the common man of the setting but every single named guard unit, cadian, catachan, krieger, praetorian, valhallan, vostroyan, mordian, tanith, armageddon, tallarn, etc is some special kind of badass with a lasgun. Never once do we get to see the actual throwaway soldier of the imperium that the guard is supposed to be.

I'm coming for you, guard players. Cadia being exploded was the single greatest thing done for the setting.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
IIRC you used to be able to take lovely conscript squads that needed to be decimated by a commissar to pass morale checks.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
wow

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If they ever bother re-releasing the old Cadian boxes you've got your throwaway soldiers. :cheeky:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Imagine being this upset with Cadia that you can't have fun playing pretend with little plastic toy soldiers. Couldn't be me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the coolness of the guard in fiction doesn't match their models, but you can always slap lasguns on your favourite flavour of weird little guy.

also you forgot "horse squad" and "AT-ST from Star Wars" in your list

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The new Fall of Cadia book strikes a real good balance for the Guard between cannon fodder and ultimate badasses. There's a good scene near the end where kasrkins are loaded up in Valkyries and just fly around a battlefield disabling Rhinos from the air and when the chaos space marines get out of them they rappel down and wipe out entire squads of Black Legionaries. And I went "oh wow those guardsmen hosed up those legionaries easily, that doesnt seem quite right" and then the next sentence goes "and also most of the kasrkins died doing this but they jump back in the Valk and do it again because it's what they do," and it makes more sense. Really good book, kinda makes me want to start some of the other Guard-centric series.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the coolness of the guard in fiction doesn't match their models, but you can always slap lasguns on your favourite flavour of weird little guy.

also you forgot "horse squad" and "AT-ST from Star Wars" in your list

I love seeing people use historical weirdos for guard armies

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Improbable Lobster posted:

I love seeing people use historical weirdos for guard armies

I bought thirty Bolt Action French Infantry because it was sixty bucks for thirty, we'll see what they offer as far as conversions; the models will be less exaggerated so it may noy work great, but whej your guard army theme is Interwar era France not try the french historical models. I also bought three of the exaggerated "Meng Toon Tanks" Char B1, also a French tank, to use as sponsonless Leman Russ proxies.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If I can get my hands on a single sprue of Wargames Atlantic Ooh Rah kit I'm going to see how well they work with the few Elysian drop troop las carbines I managed to get for a pair of soldiers from a custom regiment.
Hardest part is getting just one sprue, because I don't have need for a whole troop box, and the only store I know that sell them have them on constant back order.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

The new Fall of Cadia book strikes a real good balance for the Guard between cannon fodder and ultimate badasses. There's a good scene near the end where kasrkins are loaded up in Valkyries and just fly around a battlefield disabling Rhinos from the air and when the chaos space marines get out of them they rappel down and wipe out entire squads of Black Legionaries. And I went "oh wow those guardsmen hosed up those legionaries easily, that doesnt seem quite right" and then the next sentence goes "and also most of the kasrkins died doing this but they jump back in the Valk and do it again because it's what they do," and it makes more sense. Really good book, kinda makes me want to start some of the other Guard-centric series.

Isn't this what Kasrkins do in game though? Drop down next to some high value target, vapourize it and promptly die to return fire.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tempestus Scions, they have Deep Strike.

Kasrkin are the same sort of tier 1 elite operators except they get a 6" scout move, so I don't think you can plop them down just anywhere.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Z the IVth posted:

Isn't this what Kasrkins do in game though? Drop down next to some high value target, vapourize it and promptly die to return fire.

Kasrkin can’t deepstrike to pretend they’re a different unit to scions.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Guard really don't do it for me in 40k. If anyone truly insists they're the coolest because they are stock normal dudes I invite them to historicals where you can make any kind of history dude you like instead of dorks in football costumes, the models cost 1/3 as much, and the rules are universally better :colbert:

In the mean time they are boring as gently caress, sorry, gimme the pauldron'd space satanists and cow person gundam soviets and elfs and evil elfs and basically anyone else before

1. a guy (with squad of more guys)
2. squad of guys
3. another squad of guys
4. it's guys, ten more boring guys
5. an ugly tank
6. back to guys, but these ones have a big gun
7. different ugly tank
8. this tank is BIG (and ugly)
9. guys again, a whole more squad of guys

And they're supposed to be the common man of the setting but every single named guard unit, cadian, catachan, krieger, praetorian, valhallan, vostroyan, mordian, tanith, armageddon, tallarn, etc is some special kind of badass with a lasgun. Never once do we get to see the actual throwaway soldier of the imperium that the guard is supposed to be.

I'm coming for you, guard players. Cadia being exploded was the single greatest thing done for the setting.

ok

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I wonder if some madlad has ever used necromunda models to make guard squads, could make them a penal legion or something crazy like that. Eschers have lasguns, special weapons etc. Might be tricky for heavy weapons but I'm sure it could be done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I know one goon used Eschers to make female troopers in the past, so it's been done at least. Think I've seen Van Saar being used as well in the past elsewhere.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Welp, looks like I'm reading or listening to Fall of Cadia asap now. Thanks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought thirty Bolt Action French Infantry because it was sixty bucks for thirty, we'll see what they offer as far as conversions; the models will be less exaggerated so it may noy work great, but whej your guard army theme is Interwar era France not try the french historical models. I also bought three of the exaggerated "Meng Toon Tanks" Char B1, also a French tank, to use as sponsonless Leman Russ proxies.
And if they don't work out you could try Wargames Atlantic's Grognards.

jassi007 posted:

I wonder if some madlad has ever used necromunda models to make guard squads, could make them a penal legion or something crazy like that. Eschers have lasguns, special weapons etc. Might be tricky for heavy weapons but I'm sure it could be done.

Cooked Auto posted:

I know one goon used Eschers to make female troopers in the past, so it's been done at least. Think I've seen Van Saar being used as well in the past elsewhere.
I know someone's used Van Saars as the basis for Gue'Vesa. And I'm fiarly certain I saw some Delaque GSC online too.

I'm sure somebody's also used Ironhead Squats for a Votann army.

I've kidn of wondered about using Van Saars not as Gue'vesa but as basically not-Tau, some enclave that has enough working STCs their tech's about at parity, just using Ash-Jumpers as Crisis Suit analogues.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

And if they don't work out you could try Wargames Atlantic's Grognards.

They've got WW1 British infantry as well if you want to do Roane Deepers or similar. As well as WW1/2 French Infantry.
But for those you're going to do jump through some extra hoops for rifles.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

jassi007 posted:

Before I did Steel Legion I had an idea to do the Necromundan 8th with 6 squads of veterans, each made from the 6 house gangs.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

Welp, looks like I'm reading or listening to Fall of Cadia asap now. Thanks.

Yeah do so, it does a very good job of filling in all the gaps between "the 13th black crusade is in a stalemate" for 20 irl years and then the sudden "okay now Cadia blew up" mostly from the point of view of Guardsmen and Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

They've got WW1 British infantry as well if you want to do Roane Deepers or similar. As well as WW1/2 French Infantry.
But for those you're going to do jump through some extra hoops for rifles.

But...the Grognards and Bulldogs already exist? Why faff about with converting their historicals when they already have minis that would work? Just use the brodie helmets and paint them an appropiate colour and the Bulldogs can be Deepers as easily as they could be Praetorians.