Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
We should employ half of Canadians in revolutionary terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Puppy Burner posted:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

hello, i'd like report a hate crime

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Puppy Burner posted:

The other half can work as Doordash drivers so my supply of treats never runs low

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Another Bill posted:

fill out a report and place it right in that receptacle in your picture with all the others

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
we should simply pass a law that requires laminate countertops. from what I can tell that will make the condos affordable and solve the housing crisis.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

maybe instead of employing half of Canada in the business of selling homes to each other we should employ have of Canada in the business of making cheap or free public housing, idk just spitballing

Communist

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

old houses rule. Why cant we just use the old floor plans but better materials.

As with most things, the common underlying reason for why something doesn't exist is because ~it's banned~.

Not An Architect, but I've been told that a major driving cause for really bad condo floor plans is because Canada almost uniquely in the world demands two staircases for small apartment buildings, which results in a building form with "double loaded corridors" which result in limited layout options, less windows, and worse airflow.

The good news is that it looks like the BC government is having a strong look at joining the rest of the world in allowing single staircases for apartments upto 6 stories.

https://twitter.com/KahlonRav/status/1732124363007377825

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Another Bill posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Femtosecond posted:

As with most things, the common underlying reason for why something doesn't exist is because ~it's banned~.

Not An Architect, but I've been told that a major driving cause for really bad condo floor plans is because Canada almost uniquely in the world demands two staircases for small apartment buildings, which results in a building form with "double loaded corridors" which result in limited layout options, less windows, and worse airflow.

The good news is that it looks like the BC government is having a strong look at joining the rest of the world in allowing single staircases for apartments upto 6 stories.

https://twitter.com/KahlonRav/status/1732124363007377825

Allowing for more, and worse, tenement fires by getting ride of codes, rather than forcing developers to build is exactly what's wrong with Canadian political horizons.

The idea that we need to do everything we can to entice private capital to doing socially useful things, often including dismantling our own regulatory (state) power and ability to exercise authority where it might interfere in the bottom line, it's absurd.

They're not loving rain gods that need to be sacrificed to and entreated for Christ's sake.

e: Building codes like "requiring two stairwells" are usually the result of some pretty bad things happening in the not too distant past. And if you're thinking, "well, buildings are safer now", this would be dismantling one of the codes that make them safe. Who's to say the other codes don't also "limit options" and impede our poor developers from building housing tomorrow, which they would surely do if fire doors didn't need to open outwards and wiring and insulation weren't so onerous to install?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Dec 7, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Allowing for more, and worse, tenement fires by getting ride of codes, rather than forcing developers to build is exactly what's wrong with Canadian political horizons.

The idea that we need to do everything we can to entice private capital to doing socially useful things, often including dismantling our own regulatory (state) power and ability to exercise authority where it might interfere in the bottom line, it's absurd.

They're not loving rain gods that need to be sacrificed to and entreated for Christ's sake.

e: Building codes like "requiring two stairwells" are usually the result of some pretty bad things happening in the not too distant past. And if you're thinking, "well, buildings are safer now", this would be dismantling one of the codes that make them safe. Who's to say the other codes don't also "limit options" and impede our poor developers from building housing tomorrow, which they would surely do if fire doors didn't need to open outwards and wiring and insulation weren't so onerous to install?

we'll be fine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Single-Stair Layouts Are Not Going to Fix the Housing Crisis: They’re a good idea, but they’re not going to liberate us from capitalism.

It doesn't matter how "easy" we make things for developers, because this idea that you have to entice them into doing socially useful things is a non-starter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol and reported for slur.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

It doesn't matter how "easy" we make things for developers, because this idea that you have to entice them into doing socially useful things is a non-starter.

this is the thing, we can give them everything they've ever dreamt of in terms of incentives and regulations, and whatever, and they're not going to "fix" housing because developers are not the solution to the problems we have with housing in this country.

expecting the market to solve a problem the market created is imbecilic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gee golly gosh darn it, we wanted to build affordable housing, but we just can't make ends meet with two stairwells

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Single-Stair Layouts Are Not Going to Fix the Housing Crisis: They’re a good idea, but they’re not going to liberate us from capitalism.

no one said it's going to fix it, but it'll improve things in one way. i'm saying you're a wrong idiot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Wait, sacrificing them was an option all along? gently caress yeah let's sacrifice them!

... oh, sacrifice TO. Can we try just sacrificing them anyways?

ArcadianGoose
Oct 26, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

Oh man I almost moved into a really great two bedroom above that Subway like three years ago. It was only 900ish lol. Then I was walking by one day and noticed the development proposal poster on the side and went 'oh, I see'. Anyway it'd be a shame to lose Mary's Place their breakfast is really good

In fact there's quite a few apartments nestled in those buildings and they still generally hover in 1200-1400 range. Gee I wonder if the rents in the new 30 storey glass and steel condo towers will be comparable (lol). The only part of the city getting gentrified harder than Gottingen is Spring Garden but I guess all those Dal students have the (parental) money to afford it

edit: oh poo poo that's also where Jean's is. Losing the best Chinese food in the city so Dexel can build apartments nobody can afford ftmfw, lets end this housing crisis baybee

You dodged a bullet if you value consistently going to bed before midnight, since that building was a classic party spot.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Frosted Flake posted:

Femtosecond posted:

This isn't D&D, so I get to be more blunt. FF is correct.

Building life and fire safety regulations are written in blood. Two staircases represent two points of ingress/egress in case of emergency, a redundant back up available to occupants should the need arise.

Single-access egress makes smaller-lot multi-family development more efficient, but it'll be interesting to see how this is actually implemented.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hubbert posted:

This isn't D&D, so I get to be more blunt. FF is correct.

Building life and fire safety regulations are written in blood. Two staircases represent two points of ingress/egress in case of emergency, a redundant back up available to occupants should the need arise.

Single-access egress will be interesting.

CLAM DOWN posted:

we'll be fine

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I stand by what I said.

:colbert:

I am also absolutely open to learning more about this approach to development.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Fidelitious posted:

It takes some real gumption to proclaim that replacing 2 floors of dilapidated housing and fast food joints with 60 stories of housing has no benefit in a housing crisis.

The real problem with this imo is that peninsular Halifax is already beyond saturated in regards to traffic congestion. Between a transit system that is dysfunctional to the point of being a parody of itself, the road infrastructure foundations being created during the time of the horse and buggy that there is literally no room left to expand upon (without eminent domaining the poo poo out of neighborhoods surrounding existing arteries) and chokepoints that cause 45 minute delays in all directions everytime there's so much as a fender-bender, dropping multiple 30+ story residential buildings right smack downtown is just foolish for the foreseeable future.

These are problems (including the current housing crisis) that have been brewing for the last 20 years, and our municipal governments have been head-in-the-sand about it the whole time. Now they can't ignore it but are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Addressing any one problem now just makes existing problems worse. It's a no win scenario and we'll be digging ourselves out of this hole for a long time.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/AMacGregor4CML/status/1732826310571966465

hahahhahaha

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

thunderspanks posted:

The real problem with this imo is that peninsular Halifax is already beyond saturated in regards to traffic congestion. Between a transit system that is dysfunctional to the point of being a parody of itself, the road infrastructure foundations being created during the time of the horse and buggy that there is literally no room left to expand upon (without eminent domaining the poo poo out of neighborhoods surrounding existing arteries) and chokepoints that cause 45 minute delays in all directions everytime there's so much as a fender-bender, dropping multiple 30+ story residential buildings right smack downtown is just foolish for the foreseeable future.

These are problems (including the current housing crisis) that have been brewing for the last 20 years, and our municipal governments have been head-in-the-sand about it the whole time. Now they can't ignore it but are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Addressing any one problem now just makes existing problems worse. It's a no win scenario and we'll be digging ourselves out of this hole for a long time.

Lol wait til they shut down Barrington for all the (Joker voice) condos and office towers (Joker voice ended) they're building by the old Interchange. Pedestrians stay winning - except me, who also has to take transit to get downtown and am therefore perpetually owned

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

" I would like to introduce Bill FU-23 to the floor, consisting of thousands of amendments... wait, why did we go straight to a vote on the bill itself?"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just live downtown, problem solved. If you can't afford to live downtown, make downtown bigger or rebrand your neighbourhood with a trendy alternative like "uptown".

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I have zero flights of stairs in my south surrey basement suite am I luxurious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's great to see the generation of conservatives that came up believing their own bullshit have absolutely no concept of how the government they intend to run actually works.

an entire caucus of incapable morons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hubbert posted:

I stand by what I said.

:colbert:

I am also absolutely open to learning more about this approach to development.

it's fine until your six-storey building has a fire in the stairwell and you get to choose between jumping five stories or succumbing to smoke inhalation. otoh, right up to that point you might have had a nice floor plan.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

infernal machines posted:

it's great to see the generation of conservatives that came up believing their own bullshit have absolutely no concept of how the government they intend to run actually works.

an entire caucus of incapable morons.

The best part is that he's going to be the next prime minister of Canada.

Lol. Lmao.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

thunderspanks posted:

Let's be honest, we're never digging out of this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

The best part is that he's going to be the next prime minister of Canada.

Lol. Lmao.

if doug ford is any guide, he'll have the least effective majority government in history

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

here's a fun image I saw today. ridings displayed via representation instead of real estate

Alberta and the praries matched by the maritimes and the GTA alone lol

Durf has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Dec 8, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The chad Toronto vs the chode Alberta

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
If you angle it right it looks like we're all peeing on the ndp

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm the independent piss puddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

My building has the two stairwells in a kind of double-helix configuration so it's pretty space efficient.

Jimbone Tallshanks has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Dec 8, 2023