Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One lore question I have is why are the corporations allowed on Rubicon at all?

The PCA seems pretty determined to keep anyone off the planet with their giant space eye. They also don't seem to want people using coral ever again. But that's the sole reason the corps are on the planet.

For a more real world-grounded example, Rubicon is about as "closed" as the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is closed, and the PCA is a more militant and hair trigger IAEA. The PCA's edict is basically "No one should go to Rubicon......... BUT", with the but being, as mentioned already, that that planet is still, to the PCA's dismay, inhabited by native Rubiconians and survivors of the Fires of Ibis, and it's given Balam and Arequebus special carveouts to conduct operations there, like how you can get permits to vising the CZA in Ukraine--or if you're a member of the Russian army, just drive your tanks in there and get everyone killed or severely poisoned from radiation exposure. The main goal of the PCA is otherwise to keep out the equivalent of bootstrap urbex dipshits who think it would be cool to try and sneak into the Exclusion Zone, break into Reactor 4 and snap a selfie with the Elephant's Foot. That's basically what Walter and 621 are trying to do right now with regard to the Coral.

We're gonna set a LOT of Rubicon = Chernobyl comparisons as the game goes on, as if they weren't readily apparent already.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My theory on how they got that carveout in the first place is that Dafeng and Schneider, the Balam and Arquebus subsidiaries respectively, had a presence on the planet that barely managed to survive the Fires of Ibis, so because of some byzantine corporate loopholes the PCA has to allow them to do their basic surveys. That's why they have to say the requests come from those companies on so many briefings.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 21, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

JT Jag posted:

My theory on how they got that carveout in the first place is that Dafeng and Schneider, the Balam and Arquebus subsidiaries respectively, had a presence on the planet that barely managed to survive the Fires of Ibis, so because of some byzantine corporate loopholes the PCA has to allow them to do their basic surveys. That's why they have to say the requests come from those companies on so many briefings.

That's really a really good theory, Heck those companies might have been bought out by Balam/Arquebus for the sole purpose of giving them a doorway onto Rubicon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JT Jag posted:

Okay, this is now what I'm going with. Brilliant.

Also, Schneider is just some guy named Schneider with a fax machine or something.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

For the next gooncensus, I want whatever boosters we've unlocked that give us the best assault boost thrust. Because we should be doing more assault boosting. especially because we should be able to unlock the boost kick right about now, right?

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug

Crazy Achmed posted:

For the next gooncensus, I want whatever boosters we've unlocked that give us the best assault boost thrust. Because we should be doing more assault boosting. especially because we should be able to unlock the boost kick right about now, right?

That'd be the BUERZEL/21D, which unlocks right after Wallclimber. Best in class for Assault Boost thrust! Absolutely dogshit quick boosts! At least it's impossible to make them worse by making your AC too heavy, it also has the highest weight tolerance!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Politics. And it isn't the PCA's job to never have coral used again, it is to prevent another fires of ibis via restricting the export of Coral on a large scale

Armored Core is a corporate dystopian future, the corporations are the government more or less. Balam and Arquebus are arguing that Coral can still be farmed safely and that there is enough on Rubicon still for use in limited quantities without doing another Fires of Ibis. On the surface the surveys are meant to be limited and then they go to whatever the corporate courts are and argue a case to lift closure etc, goes on for years maybe, behind that, probably gonna smuggle what they can get off planet for huge profits. Got to remember that Rubicon is still an inhabited planet, the survivors still do work/trade/etc in limited amounts, Balam and Arquebus are both hiring pilots from the Rubiconian population since I think they are very limited in bringing in off planet materials and personnel. This is why basically everyone is using BAWS MTs, because the PCA can't restrict the local corporation from doing local business on the planet... locally. And that is because at the end of the day this is a corporate run future, and BAWS would sue the poo poo out of the PCA for stepping across their line.

Past Armored Core games were usually going with that route, but I suspect that 6, like AC2, has strong non-corporate powers. It's going to be a while before we can talk about them in detail, but the way the game depicts the PCA is pretty different from, say, the League of Ruling Companies. It feels more like they're proper Feds. Just ones who have their hands tied a bit.

(Also, until very recently, everyone assumed that Rubicon didn't have anything of value, so letting Balam and Arquebus play around in the rubble and wreck the lives of the locals wasn't going to be a problem. Kept them busy where the PCA could keep an eye on them. Unfortunately for them, there was Coral, which meant that the corps had established infrastructure to make things obnoxious for the PCA.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate getting to see some punchbot action :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Past Armored Core games were usually going with that route, but I suspect that 6, like AC2, has strong non-corporate powers. It's going to be a while before we can talk about them in detail, but the way the game depicts the PCA is pretty different from, say, the League of Ruling Companies. It feels more like they're proper Feds. Just ones who have their hands tied a bit.

(Also, until very recently, everyone assumed that Rubicon didn't have anything of value, so letting Balam and Arquebus play around in the rubble and wreck the lives of the locals wasn't going to be a problem. Kept them busy where the PCA could keep an eye on them. Unfortunately for them, there was Coral, which meant that the corps had established infrastructure to make things obnoxious for the PCA.)

In a lot of ways, 6 feels like a continuation of Armored Core 2's story setting picking up a couple of centuries after where Another Age leaves things, but again we can't really talk about that until we hit Chapter 3.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Right now the on-planet PCA forces are 'Subject Guard', e.g. the first mission's boss was a 'subject guard' helicopter.

Seems like SG presence is pretty light and did not expect the corporations suddenly rushing in like they have; other than whatever shenanigans they pulled to get past the big laser satellites.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I get the feeling that Rubicon is fairly far away from the busiest areas of inhabited space, so the corps can probably get away with a bunch of stuff and push around the local sherriffs. I'd expect there's a bunch of corruption and looking the other way, and if anyone calls for backup it's probably going to be a while (both in terms of distance and organisational red tape) before it could arrive.
The planet's basically a backwater forming mining town that used to be full of riches, but is now ruined after everything burned down and the few impoverished survivors are getting bullied by the corps who are out prospecting for any residual pockets of resources that might have survived. I'm only partway through the game, but wouldn't be surprised if there's a seven samurai/magnificant seven-style mission somewhere in the game where you get hired to protect a RLF outpost against a corp enforcer squad.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I know we are a little way off, but speaking of what's coming in terms of the PCA, can I pretty please request some fancy editing when they arrive in the "steal the survey data" involving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1nrFkLgsE

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I know we are a little way off, but speaking of what's coming in terms of the PCA, can I pretty please request some fancy editing when they arrive in the "steal the survey data" involving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1nrFkLgsE

I second this spoileriffic suggestion so long as it doesn't get you in trouble with the youtube police.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lmao absolutely please edit that over the top at full volume (people coming in unspoiled for the story please don't click that spoiler) and then have it continue to play quietly for the rest of the video.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

also requesting that you deal the finishing blow to the battleship by kicking it in the bridge, just to show that such a thing is extremely possible

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Found a good looking Megatron build. No idea how it plays since I don't have the game. PC codes in the post comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/armoredcore/comments/16213u6/g1_megatron/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

If you’re still on the lookout for AC builds, allow me to throw my hat into the ring:

—The biggest gripe I have, the gnarliest bone that needs to be picked when it comes to FROMSOFT games (specifically their offerings from their Soulsbourne lineup) is that they’re difficult for the sake of being difficult and are not designed for gamers who are in some way disabled (yes, there was ONE guy who beat Sekiro(sp?) while paralyzed, but that’s an exception that proves the rule). I want to see an ADA capable/compliant AC—fully wheelchair accessible, braille signage, color-blind friendly and accommodations for the hard of hearing/deaf. I don’t care if it looks like a dog’s dinner on the outside, I want to make try-hard burks on the internet squirm. What parts you use to make this happen are also ephemeral to me, just as long as it passes ADA guidelines.

—There is a disturbing lack of dogs that are able to be petted by players in FROMSOFT games. I don’t care if such notions are frivolous, I want to pet the dog! To that end, make an AC that makes people want to pet it and hug it. Let me enjoy cute things, dammit! I want to cuddle my murder robot/walking war crime machine!

—We all know deep down that, when it comes to mech on mech combat and mech customization, nothing surpasses what the BattleTech/Mechwarrior franchise has on offer. You know it, I know it, it’s no big secret. Design an AC that looks like it actually wants to be a Battlemech.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

HereticMIND posted:

—The biggest gripe I have, the gnarliest bone that needs to be picked when it comes to FROMSOFT games (specifically their offerings from their Soulsbourne lineup) is that they’re difficult for the sake of being difficult and are not designed for gamers who are in some way disabled (yes, there was ONE guy who beat Sekiro(sp?) while paralyzed, but that’s an exception that proves the rule). I want to see an ADA capable/compliant AC—fully wheelchair accessible, braille signage, color-blind friendly and accommodations for the hard of hearing/deaf. I don’t care if it looks like a dog’s dinner on the outside, I want to make try-hard burks on the internet squirm. What parts you use to make this happen are also ephemeral to me, just as long as it passes ADA guidelines.

There is a set of legs coming up that you're going to love. Not only are you going to love them, but they're also really good. They became my main legs once I gave them a try.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

There is a set of legs coming up that you're going to love. Not only are you going to love them, but they're also really good. They became my main legs once I gave them a try.

Are the legs ADA compliant? That’s the million COAM question here.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wrong mech game series. ADA is from Zone of the Enders.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HereticMIND posted:

Are the legs ADA compliant? That’s the million COAM question here.

They are in-universe designed for pilots who would need a wheelchair to get around outside of the AC.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Geemer posted:

Dingo, much like 621, is just meat on a slab when outside the robot.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Dingo is about pals, 621 is buddy, they’re completely different.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

They are in-universe designed for pilots who would need a wheelchair to get around outside of the AC.
Which, for the record, is a lot, as 621's status as a barely functional meat popsicle and conditions only slightly better are fairly common ones for AC pilots

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume single one has CTE from their AC being blasted with heavy ordnance every mission.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Geemer posted:

I lack the creative spark for paint and emblem fun, but a color scheme based on Jehuty looked quite nice all game long.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mech request: for the chapter one end boss: make a battletech mech, something like an Atlas, incredibly heavy and tanky, pack it with the heaviest guns around and then beat the boss without engaging boosters at all.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Farseli posted:

I lack the creative spark for paint and emblem fun, but a color scheme based on Jehuty looked quite nice all game long.

Have I got the mod for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7V7CYlIFig

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

I love everything about what I just saw!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glimpse posted:

Dingo is about pals, 621 is buddy, they’re completely different.

Pals when they're alive, Comrades when they're dead.

Dingo is also pretty much healthy except that he can't leave the mech or he'll die. Meanwhile, 621...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
621 lives in a tube.

Also Video 5 will be coming sometime this week once we get the commentary recorded for it.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
621 is a brain damaged lil grub of a modified human, just wormin around inside that AC.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
AP is Stored in the BAWS

Part 5: AP is Stored in the BAWS

Overview: In the aftermath of Operation Wallclimber, 621 is contracted by Balam to investigate V.IV Rusty. Meanwhile, one of the RLF’s main weapons factories has gone silent, and they’ve turned to Walter and 621 to conduct a check in operation, however there might be more going on at BAWS Arsenal No. 2 than there seems to be...

Little Ziyi

Pilot of the AC Yue Yu, Little Ziyi is a member of the Rubicon Liberation Front’s upper echelon of commanders under Father Dolmayan and has come to be known as the RLF’s “little sister” among the Front’s ranks.

The daughter of offworld illegal immigrants who came to Rubicon during the Coral gold rush, tragedy struck as their ship crash-landed, killing both her parents and leaving the infant Ziyi orphaned among the wreckage. She was taken in by the RLF shortly after that and adopted by Middle Flatwell, a man who she’d come to call “Uncle” in time.

She practically grew up in the cockpit of an AC, with the RLF’s ideals ingrained in her very soul. Under the guidance of Flatwell, Dolmayan, and the others, she became a formidable and zealous Coral warrior, dedicated to the cause of a free Rubicon. As such, she sees anyone who isn’t a native Rubiconian as an invader to be driven out with extreme prejudice.

Her AC Yue Yu is an aging BAWS-manufactured Core which once served as her cradle when she was taken in by the RLF and has been a part of her entire life on Rubicon.

Her death at the hands of 621 will no doubt upset many in the RLF and compound the already brutal string of blows 621 and Walter have dealt the rebellion with the destruction of the Strider, the Galia Dam, the Juggernaut, and the loss of Index Dunham and the Wall.

Little Ziyi is named for the little finger of the human hand, also known as the pinky finger.

Little Ziyi is voiced by Stephanie Sheh, best known for her roles as Hinata Hyuga from the Naruto franchise, Orihime Inoue in Bleach, Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon in Sailor Moon Crystal, Manon Chamack in Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir, and Mitsuha Miyamizu in Your Name.

G6 Red

The pilot of the AC Hermit, G6 Red is the mercenary liaison for Balam Industries, its subsidiaries, and the Red Guns.

As a boy, Red’s life was changed forever when he first saw the news footage of Michigan’s legendary yet brutal exploits during the Jupiter War. He resolved then and there to become just like the Hero of Jupiter and made it his life’s goal to become his protege. Seeking power, wealth and glory to help raise his impoverished siblings out of squalor, he followed Michigan to Balam Industries and signed up for their AC squad entrance exam. It’s said he passed the test the moment he stood at attention and saluted Michigan while all the other recruits stood by dumbfounded.

Michigan quickly took the boy under his wing and placed him on the Red Guns roster, where he eventually rose to the rank of Gun 6. Over the years with Balam, he picked up basically all of G1 Michigan’s mannerisms, from speech, to turns of phrase, even physicality. The suits at Balam HQ took notice of his, let’s say, “enthusiasm” and put him to work in their public relations department, where he serves as the mercenary liaison contact for Balam on Rubicon. Just like V.VIII Pater for Arquebus, all of our mission requests and briefings from Balam Industries and its subsidiaries will be relayed to us by G6 Red—and it's no small coincidence that both our corporate briefing guys are also the lowest ranked members of their respective corps' AC squads, given how G7 is dead and no one seems to be coming along to replace them.

G6 Red is named for the Red River, of which there are actually several including the one in China and Vietnam (where it is known as either the 紅河, 红河, Hóng Hé or the Sông Hồng), the one in Manitoba (known as the Red River of the North), and the one in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana (known as the Red River of the South). The northern Red River is famously associated with the Red River Rebellion, the attempt to establish an independent state for the Métis people of Manitoba in 1869 by Canadian folk hero Louis Riel. The southern Red River is likewise associated with the Red River War, a military campaign launched in 1874 by the US Army to displace the Comanche, Kiowa, Southern Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes from their ancestral lands.

G6 Red is voiced by Robbie Daymond, known for his roles as Chai in Hi-Fi RUSH, Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Marvel’s Spider-Man (the Disney XD cartoon version), Megumi Fushiguro in Jujustu Kaisen, Goro Akechi in Persona 5 and its various spin offs, Prompto Argentum in Final Fantasy XV, and Joe Kido in Digimon Adventure Tri.

RIP BOZO🤣🤣

Missed among the chaos of Operation Wallclimber last time around was the smouldering wreckage of G4 Volta’s AC Cannon Head in the western residential block of the city just outside the wall. Cannon Head’s wreckage was actually seen in the briefing for Wallclimber as V.II Snail is gloating over Balam’s failure to take the Wall when they tried their own version of Wallclimber.

A cursory examination of the wreckage site appears to indicate that G4 Volta was swarmed by a squad of RLF MTs and quickly overwhelmed. G4 appeared to be in the middle of recording a message to the absent G5 Iguazu when Cannon Head was struck by the fatal round and destroyed, killing Volta as well.

The MTs later found onsite near the AC’s remains appeared to have strange green running lights on their chassis compared to the normal red ones generally encountered until now. They also appeared to be slightly more adept at maneuvering than other MTs of their class.

With Volta dead and Igauzu missing, it appears the Red Guns are now down at least one, possibly two members. This begs the question now though: where is Iguazu?

WHO IS V.IV RUSTY?

The combat logs recovered from the MT black boxes scattered around the route V.IV Rusty took to reach the Wall provide some interesting insights into our new “buddy”, as it were.

First up is the raw data on his AC Steel Haze. The lightweight AC appears to favor kinetic weaponry as its primary armament, a marked deviation from Arquebus’s normal arsenal of energy-based weaponry sported by numbered Vespers. In the hands of Rusty Steel Haze also appears to be so fast that BAWS MT FCS units are unable to keep a lock on the AC even when operating at maximum capacity.

There appears to be a possible connection between V.IV and the RLF as well. Communications records indicate an RLF pilot, possibly even Little Ziyi herself, recognized Rusty and attempted to confront him, referencing an “Uncle” in the process. This is most likely RLF commander Middle Flatwell, known among the Coral warriors as the “Uncle” of the Liberation Front. It appears as though Flatwell had a file on Rusty and that V.IV appears to have betrayed the Liberation Front somehow.

Another even more mysterious communication excerpt deepens the enigma. An attempt to hack V.IV’s encrypted comms reveals this transmission fragment, though it is unknown if it was being transmitted to or from Steel Haze: “When [the ti]me comes … [F]urlong will … technology. … Elcano [Foundary]. … You must [remain] hidden [until] then.”

It appears as though V.IV Rusty is in communication with and/or has some connection with the independent offworld corporations Furlong Dynamics and Elcano Foundary, but what specifically that connection may be has yet to be uncovered.

It is clear though that our new “buddy” appears to have his own set of secrets, just as 621 and Walter have theirs as well.

BAWS ARSENAL No. 2

One of several massive construction plants operated by BAWS in Northern Belius. BAWS Arsenal No. 2 is a vital link in the Rubicon Liberation Front’s supply chain, keeping the rebel organization supplied with MTs, weaponry, and other heavy equipment and replacement parts to keep vital assets like the Strider and the Juggernaut operational.

Given their propensity to sell to all clients regardless of affiliation, BAWS arsenals were generally considered “neutral” territory by both the corporations and the RLF, as it would be foolish for either side to attack one of the few places still producing weaponry for their side on Rubicon. This makes the attack on BAWS Arsenal No. 2 by unknown forces extremely out of the ordinary.

The reason for the attack is also a mystery at present, but it appears to have been prompted by the Coral well BAWS was hiding deep within the facility. Though Walter describes it as barely a trickle, the Coral reserve within BAWS Arsenal No. 2 was clearly enough to not just power the whole facility, but allow it to continue its heavy manufacturing processes long after other such plants across Rubicon have ground to a halt.

With the discovery of the Coral well, BAWS has no doubt come under increasing scrutiny by both Balam and Arquebus and its status as a neutral operator on Rubicon may be in jeopardy.

GHOST

The mysterious crafts encountered by 621 at BAWS Arsenal No. 2, the ones responsible for the facility going dark, appear to be known as IA-27: GHOST special type MTs.

These bipedal mechs with circular disc-like body parts appear to be highly mobile reconnaissance units capable of fielding a wide variety of armaments including laser canons, pulse armor, and high-energy laser whips. In addition to their encoded comms, the Ghosts employ a highly-sophisticated active camouflage system known as Monitor Display Deception or MDD which is capable of rendering them invisible to enemy sensors and display equipment at all but extreme close range.

One of these mysterious units was also spotted earlier investigating the impact site where Loader 4 first touched down on Rubicon in the bowels of Grid 135. While the affiliation and intentions of the Ghosts is currently unknown, it appears they have been monitoring 621 ever since they first landed on Rubicon...

Submitted by: Captain Foo
Sharecode (PC): QGK4CX66372E

Unfortunately, the Gooncensus exploded on its way back to its home planet and is now completely destroyed. I’m terribly sorry. This means it is up to you, Goon 621, to BUILD ME A NEW AC FROM THE GROUND UP.

You know the drill, everyone kicks in one part and one part only from our available pool of Chapter 1 parts, and then start suggesting colours to paint it with.

We are going to need an AC in order to
  • Clear out the trash mob of the F-tier Arena.
  • Fight a guy with a big belt.

Make Mean Old Michigan and his son Red proud. DO NOT COCK THIS UP, MAGGOTS!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 8, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Tian-Qiang core. Get some real beef going.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Melander C3 legs :effort:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'll post the full End of Chapter 1 parts list later today so you can all make the most informed shitpost decision possible in terms of armaments.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Give me a DF-BA-06 Xuan-Ge arm weapon, because I want a righteous bazooka duel

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

VP-46S arms

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gotta use the Bu/TT

I want some butt blade action.

Also I don't think Ziya is dead, she didn't do a death scream or have her comms stop mid sentence, she finished all of her words after her machine was down.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
I've noticed goons like very EN-heavy weapons. Let's keep up with building a heavyweight and put the biggest VP-20D we can fit in there. Excess EN goes into supply recovery anyway!

Also, plasma's great, all of its impact and damage is in that field it leaves behind, meaning you don't need a direct hit and you can make life miserable for your target as you harass them with splash damage. The vertical plasma missiles in particular are a workhorse that fit on pretty much any AC and work in any situation*!

*except in a hallway