Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm having a great time with DQM3. The Maulosseum is so delightful. Why are there so many pies lying around!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is monster fusing something I unlock or have I just been ignoring an important menu option?
Also, is this a "catch em all and use your favourite" or a "perform hideous monster eugenics to make an engine of death" sort of thing?

Edit: also does a larger version of an identical monster have better stats?

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 7, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

YggiDee posted:

Also, is this a "catch em all and use your favourite" or a "perform hideous monster eugenics to make an engine of death" sort of thing?

Both.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YggiDee posted:

Is monster fusing something I unlock or have I just been ignoring an important menu option?

Edit: also does a larger version of an identical monster have better stats?

Fusing is unlocked by progressing the story, you can't miss it.

So pretty much any monster can be viable, higher tier ones tend to have better stat growths (but worse stat caps) and better innate abilities than lower tiered ones. But when fusing monsters they get a percentage of their 'parents' stats at level 1 so you can really make anything you want work if you're willing to put the effort in.

Size works interestingly. So monsters have the basic S or L size which determines if they take up one party slot or 2. Ones that are L have about 50% more HP and about 10% better stats across the board along with 3 extra innate abilities over S monsters, usually including an ability that lets them act multiple times per turn. A rare few L sized monsters don't have that, and a few s monsters do. Depending on which extra skills they get their L size version can range from broken to useless you really just need to decide it on a monster by monster basis. Hunter Mechs for instance have as one of their basic S innate abilities the ability to randomly go 1-2 times per turn. This is great for a small monster as it sometimes lets them just go twice as often. For a large monster though 1-2 times per turn is the shittiest version of the extra-turn skill possible (other variants are 1-3, 2, or 2-3 actions per turn) so they're much better as a Small Monster than a Large monster.

If you're talking instead about the visible size difference of S sized monsters in battle, Larger ones have slightly better Def and lower Agi and smaller ones have the reverse. Additionally fusing very big S sized monsters with L monsters can let you have an L sized result from the fusion, if the monster isn't almost near max size for a small monster though the result will always be small.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 7, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When does it make sense to start caring about being efficient or systematic about monster synthesis, rather than just fusing everything willy-nilly without really giving much thought to the less obvious mechanics?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

When does it make sense to start caring about being efficient or systematic about monster synthesis, rather than just fusing everything willy-nilly without really giving much thought to the less obvious mechanics?

Really whenever you want to get into it? The main game will definitely be doable if you never bother doing anything but smash cool poo poo together though you might run into some issues later on, some of the enemies get nasty in the endgame and the post game will be incredibly rough.

Like its never going to be required to get into the minutia of monster building but I think it gets fun/starts opening up around when you first get access to the intermediate tiers of the various worlds. Which is also where the difficulty bumps up a bit from being faceroll easy.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Obtained all possible monsters (except for the McDonalds ones)
Finished all content
Went 30/30 in quick matches.

Go team

My verdict:

I am a sucker for this series as well as DQ in general, so I will generally play games it in obsessively, and this game was no exception. However, I do think this version in particular is very disappointing. The number of basic features that have been a part of the series since Terry on 3DS are gone. To name a few: Changing sizes on synth, multiple monster sizes (down from 5 to 2), easier ways to hold completed skills, mixing and matching passive abilities, individual monster rank progression (via the + and star system), and more. Because a lot of this stuff is missing, I feel like I am probably done with the game, and won't bother trying to make cool monsters or participate in the ranked battles; it all just seems too limited, and the meta doesn't seem like it could possibly go anywhere.

We have worse randomly generated content for farming accessories/monsters/etc than previous games with the "DLC" that was just basic mismatched and shittier versions of game features in DQM2 and Joker 3. The post game is very obviously unfinished, as much of the rest of the game feels considering what is missing. There should be between 200 and 400 additional monsters to the 500~ that are in the game, which is less than Joker 3 Vanilla by a slight margin and less than DQM2 and Joker 3 Pro by many hundreds, with the possible additions added to the DQ universe in DQX and XI since Joker 3 Pro's release adding potential for at least 100-200 more. The multiple weekly GPs were replaced with the quick matches, which would be an interesting addition to the game if they weren't REPLACING a key competitive feature.

They didn't even add THIS game's own exclusive specific story monsters, such as characters and bosses. Usually you can't necessarily fuse all of the endgame bosses and end-of-the-chain stuff until a few weeks or months after release due to missing monsters that need to be released via timed events or DLC, but with how incomplete this game feels, I'm a little worried that DLC updates won't even come in the next weeks or months to add those monsters to the game. We might just have to wait til a Pro version of this, or whatever is next comes around.

The sum of it all is that this is a downgrade in almost every conceivable way. I rate it Ordinary Slime/10

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BabyRyoga posted:

Finally got Kingleo from an egg, it was actually a rainbow egg.

Also went through the list of egg only monsters on JP wikis, the total amounts to (with a mix of correct names and incorrect names, I get so confused going between JP names and localized names):
Whtie Egg: Ethereal Serpent
Silver Egg: Luminous Lampling, Float-o-Copier, Pirhana monster, Tree Feller, Toad Cannon monster, Saro's Minion dude from DQ4 ch1
Gold Egg: Don Mogu, Kandatar/Robbin 'ood, Lionnex
Rainbow Egg: Kingleo/Marquis de Leon

There are still a few more, the silver eggs are loaded with random poo poo. Kinda annoying to farm, you have to set up a loop in an upper-level map and reset for hours to get 'em all. The important ones that you absolutely need to get to fuse boss monsters are Kandatar/Robbin 'ood, Lionnex, and Kingleo.

edit: yeah, there are more. I'll update later

There are also egg-only skills. Most notably this includes the three different SP-tier Ward skills.

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm loving DQM: The Dark Prince.
I spent the previous 3 weeks previous playing DQM Joker 3 because I just learned the game was translated into English a month ago. I figured I'd be too burned out to really get into this one but I was wrong.
I like TDP much better for the most part. Ride monsters were a mistake. I am fine with them nerfing sizes in this game because every team being just one giant monster in DQM 3 felt kinda lame.

Joker 3 Professional added even more stuff, including a monster combination thing in combat and some scouting drone thing. You also start with an S-tier monster (such as mini estark) instead of the usual weak things like slimes and jailcats. It also has a "skip to the next part of the story" option since the game was made with Joker 3 players in mind and not wanting to make them replay the entire story. I played some of 3 Pro while waiting for DQM3 and it is A Lot.

You could also import some monsters from DQM2 3D and Joker 3 in to Joker 3 Pro. So when I started my Joker 3 Pro run I brought over my SS-tier Battlerex (or whatever the SS-tier version was called) and my metal king. But they come over with default level 1 stats and it turns out a level 1 metal king's default stats are like, 4hp and 10 defense making them extremely easy for even starting area enemies to kill. :rip:

Woebin posted:

Any good resources out there for figuring out skill synthesis? As in which skills to combine/max out to unlock new ones?

I try not to rely on guides and just figure things out for most stuff, but the only skill stuff I know is "[stat] boost II-IV" and Deep Breather.

https://gamewith.jp/monsters3/417755 Japanese, so use chrome to auto translate.
https://dev.metalkid.info/DQM3/Talents/ English site, not nearly as good as gamewith but it lists most talent combinations. IE: Deep Breather + Smart Blazer = Blow Hard, Cure-all+Healer = Supreme Healer, the Shield talents made from combining Wards...etc.

The "big 4" skill sets to aim for, IMO, are:
Blow Hard
Perfect Speller
Hair Splitter
Supreme Healer

Blow Hard gives you the best breath attacks, Perfect Speller is every Ka-[whatever]-le element attack spell, Hair Splitter is the melee AOE attacks, and Supreme Healer gives moreheal/omniheal/kazing/kerplunk(dance). You have access to the monsters to make Blow Hard and Perfect Speller in the areas that were included in the demo, so you can create endgame-tier talents pretty quickly if you are smart with collecting and combining copies of monsters with the base talents. IIRC, if you make a new monster and don't take a talent that has points remaining in it, the new monster gets some more of those points back. So when you create Blow Hard you wouldn't want to take Deep Breather or Smart Blazer on the new monster it unlocked on so that they get more skill points to dump into Blow Hard at level 1. Not that you need the weaker versions anyways.

buddychrist10 posted:

I'm having a great time with DQM3. The Maulosseum is so delightful. Why are there so many pies lying around!?!

So, apparently there's a hidden mechanic tied to clearing the fights there and in Endor:

The more arenas you've beaten, the higher the appearance rates are for metal slimes, liquid metals, and metal kings. Though they're still rare as hell and only (re)spawn when you enter the area. You can't just walk away and come back like with everything else. Saw it in a Reddit comment so no idea how true it is or not.

BabyRyoga posted:

However, I do think this version in particular is very disappointing. The number of basic features that have been a part of the series since Terry on 3DS are gone. To name a few: Changing sizes on synth, multiple monster sizes (down from 5 to 2)

This is a good change. The sizes in Joker 3 and DQM2 3D sucked and most larger monsters were garbage you should never use, while being annoying as hell to fight against as bosses.

I do miss having random trainers to meet and fight in the world. Especially since you could scout monsters from their teams and it was a very good way to get your hands on monsters that took a huge amount of time to synth.

I forget if Joker 3 or 2 3D let players trade monsters but I wish this one did, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's not included due to stuff like Mole Hole allowing someone to just hand out an endless supply of endgame monsters like Zoma and God.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What's the best DQM other than the new one?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I would say the translation of the DWM2 remake (Cody's Wonderland I think the subtitle is? Something like that) but other people would probably say Joker 3 Pro. Really can't go wrong with either imo.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

This is my first DQM game and you seem to know your way around the series. What's the deal with the rank g monsters at the top of your roster? Do higher ranks not matter much? What kind of breeding shenanigans went into you creating them that they took you to the endgame?

I've only unlocked rank E monsters so far and have no idea how stats scale across ranks, etc...

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wizard Whateley posted:

This is my first DQM game and you seem to know your way around the series. What's the deal with the rank g monsters at the top of your roster? Do higher ranks not matter much? What kind of breeding shenanigans went into you creating them that they took you to the endgame?

I've only unlocked rank E monsters so far and have no idea how stats scale across ranks, etc...

Any monster is viable in some capacity, it's just the higher rank ones tend to come with better talents and are better out of the gate. The stat caps themselves are all so high that you won't reach them until you've hit level 100 and resynthed many times or used a lot of seeds, so it isn't as much that I took them to the endgame as that I rescouted low rank monsters and gave them really good abilities when I was already at the endgame. All of those G-rank monsters have stuff like Attack Up 4, Agility Up 4, etc. That specifically is a team that is used for PVP that has one monster that tanks all the damage and debuffs when it dies, one monster that heals and disrupts enemies, and one huge physical attacker.

Lower ranked monsters used to be even more viable in the previous games because they would actually go up in rank as you synth them more and more, and you could transfer passive abilities. This time around, you can't transfer the passives but you unlock them as monsters level up, so you need to be like level 50 on a monster before it even reaches its full potential.

Nihilarian posted:

DQM2 had the most insanely diverse PVP meta. Joker 3 Pro was the best overall but a little bit more limited in the types of comps you would see.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Thanks for the information. That clears things up a bit.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is a good change. The sizes in Joker 3 and DQM2 3D sucked and most larger monsters were garbage you should never use, while being annoying as hell to fight against as bosses.

Can't disagree hard enough. The size system was immensely cool and I still remember having my little child mind blown when I tried to fight the Wormonger in Joker 2 only to see it taking up all 3 party slots by itself, followed roughly in sequence with a "I want that", and then "FUCKSHITGETMEOUTTAHERE".

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Finally got my first non-white egg. Shame it's a monster I was already breeding towards and won't really save much time, but it does come with Hard warder, which seems insanely good.

Deki fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 8, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think sizes in the previous games are kinda hard to understand for most people, based on how I see people talk about them via various outlets.

Like even people who played Joker3 or DQM2 for hundreds of hours didn't even know that there are 5 sizes rather than 4. The game in general has been balanced pretty well to make teams that include every size viable, but some will seem OP to the extent of "why should I bother using X when I can just make Y" to the player who hasn't very thoroughly learned everything about the game yet.

To be fair though, part of that balance was also based on the way PVP worked in general. In GPs, you had frequency lists that awarded less points for using more popular monsters and more points for using the least popular monsters, so you would need to basically make really good use of less-common monsters. Which again, was way easier in those games since you could synth passive abilities over to make the perfect combination of synergy, and you could rank up your G rank monsters to SS+ rank. There were also a lot of skills and abilities that hosed with global-scale battle conditions, like making it so physical attacks couldn't be used, or making it so all healing does damage instead, or making it so all monsters acted in reverse turn order. In the ranked matches, you had access to your full set of active team and reserves, so you could either have two teams with very different strategies, or just (up to) 8 monsters to 'sideboard' the best version of one strategy.

They really streamlined the gently caress out of this version of the game, and I think 90% of that streamlining is way for the worse.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Wrapping up the final middle level in DQM and I already have my end game team (Krystalinda/Uberkilling Machine/Snipevine/Slionheart), and now I just need to farm Wisdom 3s/4s, Attack 3s/4s, and build Zola and Lamia to transport their active skills to Krystalinda and Snipevine, respectively.

Game is good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't really have a problem with the streamlining because DQM can turn into a spreadsheet simulator the further you get into it. A spreadsheet simulator that the game gleefully doesn't help you with.
I spent most of the last 20-30 hours of my time in Joker 3 Pro trying to fuse as many monsters as I could. Some of the chains were daunting and I was only dealing with A and S ranks. It gets so much worse from there. It really just looks like the McDuck family tree once you hit the SS ranks.
Reverse Search is a great feature but what DQM really needed was an SMT-esque compendium that lets you buy back monsters you fused before. Joker 3 pro technically had one but it was tied to online functionality so it really didn't.
Tying the random/metal slime dungeons to DLC is bullshit though.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 8, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChrisBTY posted:

Reverse Search is a great feature but what DQM really needed was an SMT-esque compendium that lets you buy back monsters you fused before.
I don't think anyone in the world, let alone in this thread, would disagree with this. It'd be fantastic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Apparently using Sap on a scout target works to boost the scout rate for wisdom-based monsters too, not just attack. I can't remember if Joker 3 was the same way but I'm pretty sure it wasn't? Either way, time to setup an scout squad of Gem Slime (1200 wis cap) 3x and Demon-at-arms (ultra crafty debilitator passive and 750 wis cap) and stick Kaping on all 3 gem slimes and Wisdom 3/4 on all 4 of them.

Nihilarian posted:

Joker 3 Professional or DQM2 3D. If you want a 2D DQM game then either Caravan Hearts or the PSX(?) remake of DQM2.

Wizard Whateley posted:

A rank in and of itself doesn't make a monster better. Though higher rank monsters usually have better stat caps and maybe better trait combos. That Damselfly is a nasty debuffer though (due to its traits) and I know I've seen it in some Japanese teams when doing the flashfire tournaments.

ChrisBTY posted:

Reverse Search is a great feature but what DQM really needed was an SMT-esque compendium that lets you buy back monsters you fused before. Joker 3 pro technically had one but it was tied to online functionality so it really didn't.
Tying the random/metal slime dungeons to DLC is bullshit though.

Mole Hole is useful (though the base scout rate seems artificially lowered which just means more savescumming at times) but yeah being able to do the SMT buyback thing would be so much better unless the gold costs made it prohibitively expensive, unless this game has an easy money making method like in DQM2 3D where you'd just aim to make a key world with gold golems and a "kill X monsters in Y minutes" goal.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Hmmm I'm a few hours into DQM3 and I don't know how much more I'm gonna play. It just feels soooooo slow to play, even with the fast mode for battles turned on. The fade-to-black transitions are especially the worst part about this. Ah well, I have a DQVIII replay going so I might just go back to that

E: also don't get me wrong. I'm actually really enjoying the gameplay overall, but I think it's this one thing that's just kinda tanking it for me, which bums me out :smith:

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 9, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Me relying on an all breath team: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me running into a later game boss with consistent breath reflect: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Finished the story stuff earlier and I think I'd give the game a 7/10, maybe a 6.5 because of the glaring performance issues. Until DQM3 I think the only game I'd ever had crash on my Switch was Xenoblade 3 and that was after 60-70 hours of gameplay with the game having a known memory issue.

I've had DQM3 crash on me multiple times within the same hour and probably 15-20 times total, usually on load screens. The game struggles so much to keep up with fast inputs too and it's wild how if I restart the game in a dungeon I have 60fps or close to it for a short while and maybe for a single fight, then everything slows down to 'normal' from there. The weather effects just make it so much worse too. I know the Switch is an underpowered and aging system but there is nothing about DQM3's design that would excuse the performance issues the game has event with the "not everyone can be Monolithsoft" excuse. The game itself was still fun if pared down compared to something like Joker 3 professional but goddamn, SE needs to not use this team again.

At least scouting monsters is a hell of a lot easier with 3 monsters at 1300-1500 wisdom, another at 1200. 2 have kaping and 1 has sap as well (the one without kaping or sap just hits on the first round to soften up the target a bit if they won't OHKO it). Will probably come back to the game now and then to eventually make Zoma and a few others but I need to get back to Mario Wonder (and Mario RPG).

Good Citizen posted:

Me relying on an all breath team: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me running into a later game boss with consistent breath reflect: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Breath damage really can't keep up with magic later on either. Source: Krystalinda doing 999 damage to people with Kacrackle and 500+ on bosses, without ping, who don't have a lot of resistance. She had a skillset with Ice Age before but its damage against the same enemies was considerably lower.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 9, 2023

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I really hope there's a "remastered"/Professional version of DQM3 for whatever console Nintendo puts out next... multiplatform for everything would be preferable of course

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I just unlocked synthesis. Should I use all the skill points before merging monsters or do they carry over?

Edit: also am I imagining things or do monsters in the paddock gain exp too?

Edit2: is there any difference between monster sizes? Not S and L sizes, but rather I will see two monsters of the same type and one is like four times the other one but they are still both size S.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 9, 2023

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I just unlocked synthesis. Should I use all the skill points before merging monsters or do they carry over?

Edit: also am I imagining things or do monsters in the paddock gain exp too?
Half the skill points carry over either way, used or not. Some skill trees unlock stronger versions if they're maxed out at synthesis, but if you literally just unlocked synthesis that's unlikely to be a factor for you yet.

Monsters in the paddock do gain exp, yes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Monsters in reserve gain 1/2 XP. Monsters in Paddock earn 1/4th XP I think.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got perfect speller! It's on a meowgician but it's there and he owns now.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok post-game spoiler. My team is flat-out not good enough to take down Ludo. But they're all level 55-75 and have millions of XP. Even if I fuse new and better creatures how the hell am I supposed to get enough XP for them to surpass my current team without getting the DLC?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok post-game spoiler. My team is flat-out not good enough to take down Ludo. But they're all level 55-75 and have millions of XP. Even if I fuse new and better creatures how the hell am I supposed to get enough XP for them to surpass my current team without getting the DLC?

Solution (applies to varying degrees in the other DQM games' post game too): Kill metal kings. If you find one save and reload until you get a fight where you kill 2-3 of them (their spawn is set when you load into an area and supposedly their spawn rare is increased for every arena rank you've beaten). Though unless you do something like make a liquid metal slime with agility 3 and agility 4 it'll be hard to have something that acts before them and can one-shot them (liquid metals can with kaboomle). If you have a 2x bonus ball, use it when you go metal king hunting and put the 0.3x xp accessory from one of the arenas (I think it's an A rank reward) and you'll get 2.3x xp from those fights. You can get millions of XP from a single fight with multiple kills and even a single kill with those bonuses is something like 1.3 million xp. If you can get a liquid metal I strongly suggest training one up as your metal king farmer. If you don't have fodder with agility I or II then get some and when you unlock Agility IV synth that monster with your liquid metal and have them focus on unlocking kaboomle, then max out Agility IV, then work on Agility III.

You can also get meteorite armbands (+100 agility) as a rare drop from those flying horse monsters that show up in the circle of conquest near the Final Refuge (or w/e it was called in this game) as a rare drop. You can get a drop rate boosting accessory from one of the arena rewards too. Stick the armband on your liquid metal slime. I'm not sure of the exact amount of agility that metal kings have but my liquid metal out sped one at around 1020 agility. They were slower at 600-something in the fight before (killing 2 metal kings got them the additional 400 agi via levels and skill points in the passives).

The only way the DLC helps with XP is that you can get more of those 2x bonus balls via the treasure chest DLC and they are occasionally in chests inside the challenge dungeons (but you need to either beat the dungeon to keep it, or use it when inside the dungeon before dying and getting kicked out). The 2x bonus lasts for 25 fights though and only apply when you win a flight, not when you scout or flee. 25 metal king fights is an astronomical amount of XP so realistically one bonus ball is going to cover you for leveling and synthing together your final team and a bunch of random poo poo for filling the beastiary, making additional skills, building a dedicated scouting team (ideally: 3x gem slimes with kaping and a demon-at-arms with Sap and wisdom III and wisdom IV on all 4 of them).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 11, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Started up dq9 and got to Stornway. Looks like Call Up is generics and Recruit is create a character? i'll probably get a priest and at least one of warrior/martial artist, not sure about the third

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright. I've seen one Metal King fight all game. Can I just keep going back and forth to that one area and hope they respawn there? Also how am I supposed to level a Liquid Metal Slime that high without killing the Metal Kings First?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright. I've seen one Metal King fight all game. Can I just keep going back and forth to that one area and hope they respawn there? Also how am I supposed to level a Liquid Metal Slime that high without killing the Metal Kings First?

I'm unsure, as it's either warp back and forth or a season change that triggers them to respawn. I've heard both. I've been more focused on merging monsters and moving skills around than levels, so I haven't tested it yet. The following link has an easy metal slime route tho

https://game8.co/games/DQM-Dark-Prince/archives/436061

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nihilarian posted:

Started up dq9 and got to Stornway. Looks like Call Up is generics and Recruit is create a character? i'll probably get a priest and at least one of warrior/martial artist, not sure about the third
Call Up allows you to put someone from your reserves into your party, you start with some premade characters in reserve but anyone you make with Recruit gets added to that pool as well.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you very much. I love that it says For best results do this after beating the hidden boss. Fool I need this for the hidden boss

Update: 45 mintues of trying later I've seen zero King Metal Slimes and one Liquid Metal Slime. Either I'm doing something wrong or this is loving ridiculous

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 11, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Call Up allows you to put someone from your reserves into your party, you start with some premade characters in reserve but anyone you make with Recruit gets added to that pool as well.
is there any reason not to use them if i want a character of that class anyway?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nihilarian posted:

is there any reason not to use them if i want a character of that class anyway?

You get to make your own party member with a look you like better. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

You get to make your own party member with a look you like better. :v:
oh yeah uh wow, i took a look at them and, oof

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Warp between areas. Savescum is your friend when you see one. As you've seen, it's worth spending a few minutes resetting once you get one to spawn until you manage to get a fight where you kill 2-3 of them at once. Once you have the liquid metal at a high enough agility to act first you only need to deal with the initial spawn RNG and not also deal with the flee rates.

ChrisBTY posted:

Thank you very much. I love that it says For best results do this after beating the hidden boss. Fool I need this for the hidden boss

Update: 45 mintues of trying later I've seen zero King Metal Slimes and one Liquid Metal Slime. Either I'm doing something wrong or this is loving ridiculous

[spoiler]The 'best result' is because you can get a better xp gain accessory from the S rank arena fight that opens after the hidden boss, it absolutely works fine before then but the RNG is very real and I've had periods where I go 15-20 minutes without seeing one and when I first started I encountered 2 metal kind and a liquid metal in back-to-back area checks. Once you get used to it you can check the spots pretty quickly. Keep in mind that the usual stuff applies too such as if you get into a fight close to where the metal king spawns, it will not be present immediately after the fight, so dodging around enemies remains as important as ever.[/spoilers]

Welcome to DQM xp farming. It's still hands down faster than anything else you can find. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I miss the Metal Slime Disk from Joker 3 (fun fact. I didn't see the disk at first and had to go back and get it like 30 hours later. And even after that it was another 20 hours until I learned that Liquid Metals and a King Metal spawned on the upper levels).

Edit: Alright things have picked up. Still a little frustrating but I think I have everything in place to effectively farm them now. I'm going to try the boss again soon. If I fail again I'll try to build some more optimal monsters.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 12, 2023