Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I might have settled with Hive World Crime Lord Warrior into Arch-Militant. Maybe. I've been staring at this character creation screen for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Does anyone know what the formula is for Psychic Shriek? For some reason, Idira, also a Psy Rating 0 with just 10 WP more (60) than my RT Telepath Psycher (50), has a damage rating of 7-16 on her Psychic Shriek, whereas my PC has Psychic Shriek listed twice on their Class Features (uh-oh) and only deals 1 to 9 with it. I suspect my WP bonus is just not being added to it but I can't figure out why not aside from it just being a bug. It's not about having a power staff equipped (I do, and in my primary slot), and it's a pretty annoying bug to kick things off...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

Does anyone know what the formula is for Psychic Shriek? For some reason, Idira, also a Psy Rating 0 with just 10 WP more (60) than my RT Telepath Psycher (50), has a damage rating of 7-16 on her Psychic Shriek, whereas my PC has Psychic Shriek listed twice on their Class Features (uh-oh) and only deals 1 to 9 with it. I suspect my WP bonus is just not being added to it but I can't figure out why not aside from it just being a bug. It's not about having a power staff equipped (I do, and in my primary slot), and it's a pretty annoying bug to kick things off...

Idira gets a +1 to psy rating as an unsanctioned psyker.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

pentyne posted:

Idira gets a +1 to psy rating as an unsanctioned psyker.

Crap. That explains it. For some reason, I thought she was sanctioned and now that I look up the formula, I see that Psy Rating 0 means no WP bonus for me. Boooooo.

Can PCs gain Unsanctioned Psyker as a talent I wonder? Feels off to be weaker than the party member to start, but I imagine I'll begin to catch up once I'm able to boost my Psy Rating at level 10.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just noticed that Gore defaults to "off" in the options menu what the hell kind of WH40k game is this!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Does this not have Steam Cloud saving? Opening it up on the Deck only has a new game option

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

Can PCs gain Unsanctioned Psyker as a talent I wonder?

No, currently there are a lot of unique companion feats and talents the character creation does not have access to.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

pentyne posted:

No, currently there are a lot of unique companion feats and talents the character creation does not have access to.

Makes sense. I'm over it. Just impatient (in the Prologue!) to start melting faces with my miiiiiiind.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

oh god save me from this character creator. Now I feel the pain of people playing Kingmaker/WoTR without any 3.5 experience. Make decisions on stat bonuses before you even see all the stats or pick a class. Do I want to be an officer or a commander? I'm sure I'll start the game in a few hours.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game isn't littered with trap options like the Pathfinder games are, and it seems like you'll be served well enough by just picking things that are recommended in character creation/levelups (they have a thumbs up icon next to them) unless you're playing on a super high difficulty. I do hope there's a respec option or mod somewhere though because I've just kind of been picking things abritrarily, like I went with lasgun expert on my Officer before realizing I'd much rather use sniper rifles on him.

e: Also the combat system is overall really cool and it rewards you for poor performance as much as it rewards you for performing well, by giving you access to Desperate Measures/Heroic Actions respectively, which are both very powerful. I hardly understand what's going on half the time but it all just works.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 8, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Crap. That explains it. For some reason, I thought she was sanctioned and now that I look up the formula, I see that Psy Rating 0 means no WP bonus for me. Boooooo.

Can PCs gain Unsanctioned Psyker as a talent I wonder?

In tabletop you can become a psyker if things go wrong enough. I wonder if they put that in the game.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Has anyone tried playing between two PCs in Steam to see if the cloud save works and it's not just me?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what's the consensus, good?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I played for about 4 hours now and I haven't noticed a single bug. I don't mean a single bug that significantly affected my play, I mean it seemed perfect to me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It seems cloud saves aren't working, so if you play between a PC and Deck or laptop sucks atm

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I love that one of the hair options is essentially a judges wig with little skulls inside the curls. It's so 40K. :allears:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Save games are located at:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\Saved Games

To send it to whatever you play on. Really dumb they don't use steam cloud in 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Steam saves worked fine in the other Owlcat games so probably a bug.

Haven't played much but everything has been going well. Seems already more polished than WoTR.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Somethings definitely wrong with the skill checks, Abel failed 4 medicae checks in a row to remove the story injury you incur, can't tell if it's a bug with the difficulty setting lowering skill difficulty or what.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Very good imo, the caveat to this opinion being that the pathfinder games are probably my favorite CRPGs ever and that despite thinking BG3 is good it made me miss more old-school CRPG design philosophies which are what Owlcat does best

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Blockhouse posted:

What should I go with to not overlap with them?

yeah melee tank was what I was going to do in the beta before I realized your literal first companion does that

It seems like there's a pretty good gap for a non psyker officer/leader guy.

Worst case scenario even if you did pick something that overlaps initially, you can differentiate them when you pick their second class.

I.e. For the guy who started soldier and is overlapping with the first companion, set the companion as a vanguard, and then send the PC to arch militant or the like.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Do Officer/Noble skills just have no sound associated with them? Seems weird. Picking someone and saying "You. Serve Me." but there's no accompanying voice or anything besides some floating text. Same thing with Voice of Command.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

deep dish peat moss posted:

Very good imo, the caveat to this opinion being that the pathfinder games are probably my favorite CRPGs ever and that despite thinking BG3 is good it made me miss more old-school CRPG design philosophies which are what Owlcat does best

The comment that it's harder to screw yourself over makes it much more appealing to me.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I do hope there's a respec option or mod somewhere though because

Guy on your bridge just lets you respec / get mercs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really like the sound direction and the music.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

The comment that it's harder to screw yourself over makes it much more appealing to me.

I'll fully admit that the combat and character building systems in this are still kind of overwhelming and incomprehensible to me, I have no familiarity with tabletop Rogue Trader/40k mechanics and I imagine this is how people who weren't familiar with 3.5 felt in Pathfinder, but I'm finding that most of my actual combat power is baked into the classes themselves and my equipment rather than being something I have to fortuitously choose from perk lists when leveling up. The things you select while leveling up are largely minor-ish buff/debuff abilities. It's clear enough what they do and when to use them, and the way the flow of combat works means that you never have to choose between them and directly dealing damage (you get one attack per turn and then spend the rest of your AP spamming these buffs/debuffs). On harder difficulties you probably need to choose and use those abilities much more thoughtfully, but on Normal so far it has just been a matter of "pick one that sounds good and use it whenever relevant". There aren't any situations like in Pathfinder where you go "whoops I can't damage this enemy because I didn't pick any spells that do electricity damage" or whatever.

This is all subject to change further in the game because I don't know how difficult it's going to get, but it seems to be a game where you're meant to feel overpowered and most of the challenge comes down to things like target prioritization, facing overwhelming numbers of enemies, and reading what enemy abilities do rather than building your character the "right" way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 8, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In TT RT the talents are kinda minor except for ones that let you do multiple attacks in one turn or parry more reliably. It's the attribute and skill advancements that are a big deal.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Just played a whole bunch, had a blast except for 5 or 6 crashes. I think it might be something to do with achievements - it crashes at points I'd expect an achievement to pop, then when I restart I get a steam pop up for some random achievement I 100% did not earn like visit every planet or dodge 500 attacks. But then the achievement doesn't show in my steam. It's super weird.

I've gone with heretic Voidborn noble officer. In the beta I went imperial I had visions of random NPCs instead of the changer of ways at the end of the mutiny section. Dunno if that is a general game change or something specific to heretic. I've had a few cases where the screen went blue and I get some extra description of events, dunno if that's normal too as I didn't play past the ship part in the beta.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

Just played a whole bunch, had a blast except for 5 or 6 crashes. I think it might be something to do with achievements - it crashes at points I'd expect an achievement to pop, then when I restart I get a steam pop up for some random achievement I 100% did not earn like visit every planet or dodge 500 attacks. But then the achievement doesn't show in my steam. It's super weird.

I've gone with heretic Voidborn noble officer. In the beta I went imperial I had visions of random NPCs instead of the changer of ways at the end of the mutiny section. Dunno if that is a general game change or something specific to heretic. I've had a few cases where the screen went blue and I get some extra description of events, dunno if that's normal too as I didn't play past the ship part in the beta.

No they'd change that I picked a different option and it was still what you said.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Game installed, done fiddling around with the character generation hit random name for giggles and...it gives me Aubry. Time to be both Master and Commander on the Warp.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ninurta posted:

Game installed, done fiddling around with the character generation hit random name for giggles and...it gives me Aubry. Time to be both Master and Commander on the Warp.

Jack you have DEBAUCHED my CHAOS APE

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Further Reading posted:

For the spoilered section, I haven't tested it but it might very specifically has to do with whether you stepped through the flames or not, since that comes with a line about burning out the corruption of what had hit you before. I saw the Changer of Ways as Benevolentia/Iconoclast as well in the beta, which also avoids the fire (if for very different reasons), so either it has to do with that or the Changer was just a placeholder or something.

Steam achievements supposedly popping might be a case of it showing up for you ticking up one number (so you're now at 5/500 dodges or whatever), as I vaguely recall that happening with Kingmaker and the random encounters achievement. That's just a guess though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there's any sort of leveling guide out there that's actually written down? Most of the stuff I see is in video format and I don't find that particularly helpful.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I don't like video guides either but when I was looking for WOTR builds I still had a lot of luck on YouTube - most of the more popular video guides had someone in the comments that typed it all out. I haven't checked for this game yet, but I would imagine that if there's nothing typed up yet there will be soon.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Impressions from playing the full game without prior experience. Definitely glad of having a respec guy. Gear matters enough in this game that I might rework a character if I find some really cool armor or a nice heavy weapon.

Descriptions of my pyromancer abilities are just confusing enough that I might want to test them and then re-spec to something different, also.

Unsanction psyker seems to have themselves under better control than I expected. Their reaction to finding their boss dead did a lot to make me willing to trust them a bit. Overall, though, I’m not finding the character writing super compelling in this so far. Definitely gonna stick it out till I get to edgelord elf city, though.

I have not tried out the ship combat yet, but the pacing of the party chat encounters flying around the starting system seems a little much so far. I was not expecting to deal with two big crew conversations before I had a chance to visit two places with the ship.

Operative debuffs are a little confusing for me. I would like it to be clearer how many debuff tokens are on each enemy. Still, I am sure I will be grateful for them when I face more serious opposition, the first “boss” was definitely a wakeup call. I find myself wondering if a sufficiently powerful single hit would have bypassed its reactive attacks and self healing abilities.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh, so yeah, the game's set post-Rift after all. Apparently the Segmentum Obscurus is just on the edge of the Great Rift so we're only partly cut off. I thought it was going to be set in the same 40k time period as the tabletop namesake was, but it seems they've updated it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just starting out but I like how to a 40K veteran it's clear what has happened on board the navigator space station and that Cassia is at least worrying but you've just kind of got to roll with it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i had a fight where i killed less enemies than they killed each other from friendly fire, i assume this is normal for warhammer

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What the hell am I supposed to do in this monastery basement boss fight? There are 22 enemies and one boss, I only get 2 turns to end it, and I can't find any interactables I'm supposed to use :gonk:

e: Nevermind, killing electro-priests raises the turn timer

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Ninurta posted:

I rolled a naval officer and I’m glad I’ve had some stuffy dialogue options and I hope I get more. Compose yourself leftenant!