Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

doesn't show up in the list, which makes sense since my E:\ drive is from a previous computer so whatever package metadata this uses won't have it

e: problem solved, I just gave myself full control permissions on it and then deleted it from bash

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is it not listed in programs and features in the control panel? You should be able to uninstall it from there.

Edit: ahh previous install. Yeah you can jump into an admin terminal by holding Ctrl and shift when you click on terminal

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

well that's the fun part, even an admin cmd or powershell couldn't delete it. the permissions were truly hosed up

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
I wonder if you can get a system level prompt... maybe doing the old "replace utilman with cmd" trick. Standby

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Never tried this, but here you go

https://shellgeek.com/run-powershell-as-system/

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

well that's the fun part, even an admin cmd or powershell couldn't delete it. the permissions were truly hosed up

Administrator doesn't necessarily have access to everything in the same sense that root just gets a free pass to everything on a Linux system; they're still bound by whatever the ACL on the resource is; and it's a very valid (and common) scenario for Administrator to not have access to certain files -- the simplest go-to example for why is that you don't want your IT admins having read access to payroll files. (As an additional fun fact: the 'Backup Administrators' group almost always has more access than Administrator does because in order to run backups of files, it does need read access to basically everything.)

What makes Administrator 'special' is that they almost always have the "Take ownership of files or other objects" security policy assigned to them; which gives them the ability to forcefully take ownership of any securable object regardless of whether they'd otherwise have access to do so or not. And then once they own the object they can give themselves full access by updating the ACL to grant themselves such access. So if you ever find yourself in a situation where your admin powershell prompt can't touch some files, the solution is very nearly always to take ownership of the files first, then grant yourself access, then do whatever you originally wanted to do.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
You can apparently buy Windows 10 security updates as an individual now - Thank god.

But the monkey's paw curls a finger and they are putting Copilot into W10 too...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ziasquinn posted:

upgrading to w11 broke my ethernet driver so thank god i had wifi to pull the updated driver off realtek. Modern operation system!!

Realtek drivers and their installers are a hosed up mess with Windows 3.1 styling and sometimes requiring several reboots plus I've heard stories of their audio drivers even loving up Nvidia gpu drivers for no drat reason, it's quite plausible that windows 11 installation tried to update them in-place and they broke halfway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sort of a Windows question, but I'm not quite sure.

Just built a new system, and realized upon getting everything set up that my new MB doesn't have optical out. Not a big deal on its own, but I use that to connect to my old Onkyo receiver that runs my speakers, etc (and functions as my monitor stand).

It does HDMI passthrough, which is fine, but doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4k (I said it's kinda old).

Since I still have an HDMI out on my new GPU (7900XT), and the system sees it as an audio device, would it be feasible to run an HDMI just from that port to the receiver for audio and not run a display there?

Anyone done something similar?

Also: My CPU (7950X) has Radeon graphics, so I wonder if I could run the port from that. Hell, that might even be the one it's reporting in the sound panel.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

depends on the receiver but it might not work without a display to output to, which can be worked around by adding a dummy HDMI dongle, but then windows will see an extra fake monitor

might be simpler to just get a cheap USB to optical adapter

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

repiv posted:

depends on the receiver but it might not work without a display to output to, which can be worked around by adding a dummy HDMI dongle, but then windows will see an extra fake monitor

might be simpler to just get a cheap USB to optical adapter

So if I set it to duplicate displays, it SEEMS to work using the on-chip GPU. I just have to set it back to 2160p since it defaults to 1080. I might give it another shot on the HDMI that's on the main GPU and see if that changes.

Edit: GPU HDMI acts the same way. I think I can work with this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you flick the option to not use the display for the Windows desktop, does the audio still work?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you flick the option to not use the display for the Windows desktop, does the audio still work?

Tried that, it removes it from the output list.

This should work fine. The receiver is always on, so it won't keep dropping out and coming back.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know, we complained so much about losing the ability to not have taskbar icons group, and now that its back, I had forgotten all about it until it just popped into my head. It looks unnatural now.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

codo27 posted:

You know, we complained so much about losing the ability to not have taskbar icons group, and now that its back, I had forgotten all about it until it just popped into my head. It looks unnatural now.

Yeah, I tried it out for a few moments and promptly went back. But I was never that bothered with grouped icons in the first place, just neater for me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Serotoning posted:

Yeah, I tried it out for a few moments and promptly went back. But I was never that bothered with grouped icons in the first place, just neater for me.

Sounds like you two would be fond of Mac OS X - the Dock would be right up your alley.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ungrouped taskbar items are much better but it does look weird because they didnt make the items a uniform length

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just want to be able to make it small like it's Windows 2000 again

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I understand to a degree the lovely business model that’s led to Windows being this shambling idiot nightmare.

I wish I could just strike a deal with MS to give them the $100 or whatever they’re gonna make off me with ads or whatever and get a stripped down stupid Windows for gaming with none of this other trash.

I mean let’s be honest, if Linux somehow got DirectX support at like performance, many of us would be done with Windows forever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks Ants posted:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Super No Vacancy posted:

ungrouped taskbar items are much better but it does look weird because they didnt make the items a uniform length

Not only is it not a uniform length, it'll change when the window title changes (e.g. when loading a new browser tab) so every once in a while you'll get distracted by the entire task bar moving a bit.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress your muscle memory, talk to the ai if you want switch windows

Edit: thought this was yospos, I’m keeping it up still

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, that's another thing that bugs me about Windows 11. It's one of the things I habitually do on fresh Windows installs, and 11 taking that option away still annoys me. That it's taken them this long to fix the regression of taskbar grouping, and still have it mildly hosed up, is just embarrassing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

AlternateAccount posted:

I wish I could just strike a deal with MS to give them the $100 or whatever they’re gonna make off me with ads or whatever and get a stripped down stupid Windows for gaming with none of this other trash.

I mean let’s be honest, if Linux somehow got DirectX support at like performance, many of us would be done with Windows forever.

Yes and yes.

:same:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AlternateAccount posted:

I understand to a degree the lovely business model that’s led to Windows being this shambling idiot nightmare.

Windows 10 iot ltsc enterprise 2021. Install open shell, 7 taskbar manager, bliss.

There's no ltsc for win 11 yet, but imo the interface is so unpalatable, after support for 10 ltsc iot 2021 runs out in 2032, I'll probably move away from Windows, tbh. Until then, idgaf, windows does what I want. If games stop supporting win 10, whatever, I've got very little time to play and an enormous backlog anyway. You'll also be getting server quality patches, no bs.

edit: I know, I know, don't say good things about ltsc. Suits me though

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 9, 2023

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HalloKitty posted:

Windows 10 iot ltsc enterprise 2021. Install open shell, 7 taskbar manager, bliss.

There's no ltsc for win 11 yet, but imo the interface is so unpalatable, after support for 10 ltsc iot 2021 runs out in 2032, I'll probably move away from Windows, tbh. Until then, idgaf, windows does what I want. If games stop supporting win 10, whatever, I've got very little time to play and an enormous backlog anyway. You'll also be getting server quality patches, no bs.

edit: I know, I know, don't say good things about ltsc. Suits me though

LTSC is great, but it tends to have processor support issues a couple of years into its lifespan.

I might look into it anyway.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Me in 1995: there's a new version of Windows coming out that's going to be great let me recite all the magazine articles I have taped up in my bedroom

Me in 2023: what the gently caress is Windows 11 didn't I just upgrade to window 10?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Me in 1995: there's a new version of Windows coming out and wow, these new features and changes are so awesome. It’s like I’m living in the future!

Me in 2023: what the gently caress, why is it doing that. Is it supposed to be doing that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good lord, what is that company doing to its OS

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me in 2023: what the gently caress, why is it doing that. Is it supposed to be doing that?

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Teams loves to spawn a "dead pixel".
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/msedgewebview2exe-draws-black-pixel-on-the-screen/48db7489-2b5d-4e4d-aa6d-270e9938d8e0

Yup, 2023: what the gently caress, why is it doing that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone was like "why is Windows maxing out my CPU cores" the other day and without thinking I just rattled off three completely useless dogshit services that do that stuff randomly. Why is it doing that? I don't know, but I wish it would stop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my recent win11 annoyance: the autocomplete dropdown in the Explorer address bar keeps popping up randomly and won't go away until i click on the address bar again

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thanks Ants posted:

Internet Explora Borealis

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Nice. That thread title change is for you, astral.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's a good 1

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Nice. That thread title change is for you, astral.

:patriot:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

my win11 is at 22H2 (build 22621.2861)

I used to see the 23H2 update available in settings / windows update, weeks or months ago. but now the option for it is gone, and it's not in advanced options / optional updates either. is there a way to see what's blocking 23H2 availability or is it just dumb luck of rollout scheduling since I have 'get latest updates as soon as they're available' set to off?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

pmchem posted:

my win11 is at 22H2 (build 22621.2861)

I used to see the 23H2 update available in settings / windows update, weeks or months ago. but now the option for it is gone, and it's not in advanced options / optional updates either. is there a way to see what's blocking 23H2 availability or is it just dumb luck of rollout scheduling since I have 'get latest updates as soon as they're available' set to off?

I'm personally not sure how to check what might be blocking it, but if you're reasonably confident you can handle any issues, or reinstall Windows if your machine shits the bed, grab the Media Creation Tool and install it from that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
IME if the update from install (media creation) fails three reboots or whatever it'll roll itself back with no problem, but I've also only seen that happen once out of a lot of machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah installing over an already existing windows is cool and good.