Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Glad to see the dick sucking factory is branching out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I know I've mentioned it before but I want to say again that my past company's CTO once took the entire tech branch of the company outside one day, put us on a surprise bus, drove us out to the local forest, and had us all haul rocks and pick poisonous plants all day as a "team building exercise." No warning. People were not dressed for this. People did not bring protective equipment and weren't provided with any. They were ruining their good work clothes hauling sacks of gravel through the woods. Some people were physically not able to meet these weird sudden demands and felt like shameful focus was on them for not being the same as some others. On the bus ride back, one coworker had the bus just stop and walked off in anger even though he was nowhere close to home. People had sores, bruises, cuts, torn clothing, and a lot of anger. That CTO was fired like 5 weeks later.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

That CTO was fired like 5 weeks later.

Most shocking part of the story

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Salami Surgeon posted:

Most shocking part of the story

The previous CTO once told me his strategy at a new company is to pick someone notable at that company and fire them after he starts. As a way to show he's the one with power to be feared now. Great, fantastic, lovely way to cement in exactly the type of lovely company culture you want to embrace.

And then I remembered how the most tenured Java dev at the company was abruptly given a few weeks of paid sabbatical right after that CTO started. That was him trying to fire the guy and the CEO stepping in and saying nah dude and instead gave the dev guy a paid vacation away from that jerk. Oh yeah that CTO was also eventually fired lol.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Catastrophe posted:

The previous CTO once told me his strategy at a new company is to pick someone notable at that company and fire them after he starts. As a way to show he's the one with power to be feared now. Great, fantastic, lovely way to cement in exactly the type of lovely company culture you want to embrace.

And then I remembered how the most tenured Java dev at the company was abruptly given a few weeks of paid sabbatical right after that CTO started. That was him trying to fire the guy and the CEO stepping in and saying nah dude and instead gave the dev guy a paid vacation away from that jerk. Oh yeah that CTO was also eventually fired lol.

Was this CTO straight out of prison?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Was this CTO straight out of prison?

Auditioning for it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ever since this new role started, I have said no to more people in my life in the past week or so. My workday is like 15% me saying no in various ways and shifting levels of “seriously?”.

You mentioned this story earlier and it has haunted me ever since. It is not gory yet it is grim as gently caress.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Catastrophe posted:

I see they learned their management skills from this:

https://youtu.be/YxPWXPS2Wdw?si=sFKk6MFEhCzpWqGh

I've always fantasized about doing this. Even though I know it would be a disaster...

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

HR copy pasted a LinkedIn article the owner was talking about and blasted it to the entire company.

"The most powerful word"

It's about saying yes instead of no whenever possible.

It was posted on LinkedIn in 2015.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Take it to the owner and tell them that you think you deserve a raise.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Eletriarnation posted:

Take it to the owner and tell them that you think you deserve a raise.

he will introduce you to the even more powerful word “but”

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Found an intriguing insight into the process of metrification:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

blackmet posted:

I see they learned their management skills from this:

https://youtu.be/YxPWXPS2Wdw?si=sFKk6MFEhCzpWqGh

I've always fantasized about doing this. Even though I know it would be a disaster...

Well, you got me to unexpectedly blurt out "wait oh my god is that krysten ritter??" today

but, yeah, management there was a blur. Never-ending rotating door, every few months. I see by that company's GlassDoor that some of the last management has done an incredible job at faceplanting and making employees hate life.

e: along that same line of thought, the past few Glassdoor reviews of that place say:
"there is 0 job security for any role. anyone can be laid off at any moment"
"Just hire, torture and fire culture."
"Don't walk, run away"

Welcome to Hell.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 7, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Why should we use the metric system when everyone here already knows this board measures V-9 by 4-♦!!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Dang, my work had a smash bros tournament while I was out of town.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finance did some math and calculated they messed up and Im about 30% more efficient than they thought, so imma go celebrate with some good ramen today.

Jaguars! posted:

Why are there multiple red 4s repeating but the other side numbers repeat but not consecutively what in the poo poo is this hell thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The numbers on the right are counting up 1-10 with the diamonds representing the evens and a Roman numeral instead of a 5

I think

No idea what scale that’s meant to be though

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I think it's in Tenths and not Inches but the rest of the labeling eludes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXQxIvhedI

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

TaurusTorus posted:

I’ve never worked anywhere cool enough that anything like that went down

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Barudak posted:

Finance did some math and calculated they messed up and Im about 30% more efficient than they thought, so imma go celebrate with some good ramen today.

Why are there multiple red 4s repeating but the other side numbers repeat but not consecutively what in the poo poo is this hell thing.

Level staff in decimal feet. The small fours are so you can count whole feet through the telescope even when close by.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Level staff in decimal feet. The small fours are so you can count whole feet through the telescope even when close by.

Wait, what, how does the repeating 4 do that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

You can be zoomed in far enough that you can’t see the “.0” tick mark and the number printed across from it. Like a less busy way of putting “4.” next to every minor number.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 8, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Barudak posted:

big 1, two small 1's, big 2, two small 2's, etc.

1 to 1 to 1 to 2 = 4 total incitements. see a 5? you're on foot 5!

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 8, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

big 1, two small 1's, big 2, two small 2's, etc.

1 to 1 to 1 to 1 to 2 = 4 total incitements. see a 5? you're on foot 5!

Ahhh ok. Thank you!

Fascinating.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Goo too high and the number goes up, go too low the number gets big. This is VERY useful when you're a million miles away and looking at things through a telescope.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the photo is extra confusing if you haven’t used a level rod because the metric tape appears to be covering one of the most important details needed to read that thing accurately.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

President demanded we fix our chaotic file structure by end of year. We now have several meetings where the whole team is in just randomly deciding how we update our enormous file system.

Lots of acronyms being made for standardized naming conventions on the fly by people from different departments during the meetings. Simultaneous action items of “make a list of naming conventions to be approved” and “everyone just pick a set of files and start renaming them”. A person who was not even in the meetings was tasked with deciding where all external-facing files go. That person has also been here less than 2 months. So far the prevailing method has been “just add YYYY-MM-DD to the front of every single file and then we’ll sort it out from there”.

I’m sure this will fix all our issues.

“Hey Yorkshire, can you send me 2023-12-07-TPS-REPORTs_original.DONOTCOPY-coppy2_Jan1322.wpd.docx? I can’t find it.”

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My company tries to make a selling point of its equity and diversity initiatives but legal got wind of the notion that our competitors with similar initiatives and government contracts are being sued and fined because white dudes are complaining about being discriminated against. So now legal is saying nothing that is written or recorded can reference people of color or gay/trans or say anything about a specific group. Every DEI now breaks some kind of rule. There was a President's forum the other day and he talked about it as a language change and he tried to pitch it as "the mission has changed, but we're all in the same ship steering the same course" blah blah blah. His voice was shaking like he was scared shitless.

We're a pretty liberal organization so this is going to stir up a poo poo storm. Can't wait to watch him just try to "aw shucks" his way through it. When he was made CEO he said his goal was to foster diversity and inclusivity and that too many white people were in charge, but now legal is saying "Nope, you're going to get sued."

I only know the full story because I'm close friends with someone on the equity committee. She wouldn't even tell me in text, insisted on calling.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Much as I hate to empathise with the C-suite, that does sound like a no-win situation.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

I'm past giving a poo poo about the non gamers, I'm bringing my switch and setting poo poo up over the 70 inch HDMI yulelog for the rest of the year

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

shadowzero313 posted:

I'm past giving a poo poo about the non gamers, I'm bringing my switch and setting poo poo up over the 70 inch HDMI yulelog for the rest of the year

poo poo, we’re already drawing down for the holidays, I could hook up a Switch in the cleanroom.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
'Dipshit inc is committed to maintaining a diverse workforce free of discrimination regardless of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, self-identity, species etc.'

Tada, no one can be unhappy because no one was singled out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We here at Conglobocom are dedicated to eliminating all boundaries between race, gender, orientation, creed, and consciousness. It is only with your tireless efforts that we can speak with one voice, one thought, and one action as we pursue our vision for this world.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

We here at Conglobocom are dedicated to eliminating all boundaries between race, gender, orientation, creed, and consciousness. It is only with your tireless efforts that we can speak with one voice, one thought, and one action as we pursue our vision for this world.

A lot of things about your prior workplace stories just clicked into place :cthulhu:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Illithid Yakuza???

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Takes No Damage posted:

A lot of things about your prior workplace stories just clicked into place :cthulhu:

Workplace communication might actually improve if the boss could read your mind.

You'd be fired/eaten but at least management might have a clue about what's going on.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

*squinting at fax from HR*
Uh, what do you mean by "Human Instrumentality" exactly?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

'Dipshit inc is committed to maintaining a diverse workforce free of discrimination regardless of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, self-identity, species etc.'

Tada, no one can be unhappy because no one was singled out.

Legal: "We have been on the record, repeatedly and provably saying 'white people need not apply'. We have specifically stated as a reason for rejection of raise or hiring 'your race or sexual orientation'. We're in a no questions asked glory hole waiting for our first customer here. We're hosed."

CEO: "Can we just change our messaging and hope nobody calls us on it? Can we delete those emails?"

Legal: "Given you're being summoned for a deposition next Tuesday, no. That ship has long since sailed."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Legal: "We have been on the record, repeatedly and provably saying 'white people need not apply'. We have specifically stated as a reason for rejection of raise or hiring 'your race or sexual orientation'. We're in a no questions asked glory hole waiting for our first customer here. We're hosed."

CEO: "Can we just change our messaging and hope nobody calls us on it? Can we delete those emails?"

Legal: "Given you're being summoned for a deposition next Tuesday, no. That ship has long since sailed."

Well you have to be a little bit proactive.

Also lol in general at white dudes fragility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I didn't get it on record, but i work in a tech related job that faces the public, and in the final round of job applications, there was me (a guy) and a woman left to choose between.
My coworkers would all be male.

After i got the job, i asked my boss directly 'If i would've been exactly as good/bad a fit as the woman, would you have chosen her instead of me' and the answer was 'yes'. Because it's best if tech jobs aren't just a total sausage fest.

So i'm happy i got the job because i'm quite good at what i do, but i would have totally understood if they would've chosen for her, if she would've had the same qualifications as i do.