Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dudes Rock

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Jameson got a new hat

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Maggie got one too, she is….less enthused

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My grey cats have started what I can best describe as a lap carousel since as soon as one gets up off my lap, the other immediately comes and plops down. The tuxie and my fluffy boy have opted to fight over who gets the best space in front of the fancy heat disc.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

are they russian blues? I have one and I adore her

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Went to pick up my dog's ashes which were in a nice enough gift bag it made me wonder if it'd be gauche to use it for a Christmas gift.

It felt kinda sad seeing her pick mine out of a dozen that were waiting in the office corner.

The ashes are in a nice bamboo box in a felt bag that I'd also like to use for Christmas gifting.

I got home and got about halfway through the sentence where I was going to joke with the wife about it and then I turned into a giant blubbering baby, and then we cancelled plans for the rest of the night, and we're probably going to end up looking at puppies online.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The true double edged swords of man’s best friend. Id do anything for my little pups to have the lifespan of a tortoise

Edit I suppose it I picked tortoise I’m making my great grandsons life absolutely miserable some day but that’s his problem

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

kiimo posted:

are they russian blues? I have one and I adore her

As far as I know they're just regular domestic short hairs. My foster grey has a sad boy face and a mysteriously short tail while my resident grey girl always looks a little judgemental and loves tossing her toy mice at humans (and in general).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

I got home and got about halfway through the sentence where I was going to joke with the wife about it and then I turned into a giant blubbering baby, and then we cancelled plans for the rest of the night, and we're probably going to end up looking at puppies online.

Aw man sorry :(

I’ve been there more recently than I’d like and it’s loving awful. Doggos really are the best.

I still get choked up thinking about our sweet Margie and I can’t listen to “Martha My Dear” anymore hardly.

We waited almost 2yrs before we got a pup and I’m glad we didn’t jump right on-board immediately because it’s soooooo much work. It’s easy to forget how much work they are.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

C-Euro posted:

Dudes Rock

Here's a more wholesome version of Dudes Rock

https://twitter.com/heyitschili/status/1732602951523303485

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That man is a genius.

We almost ordered from a Chinese-Mexican fusion place called https://www.lachinescaphl.com/ over the weekend while we were down in Philly.

They had Peking Duck Tacos and I regret not trying them

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

had a work dinner/drinking party last night, woke up this morning in rough shape.

I see I've missed automobile chat, so time to handle this while wearing proverbial very dark sunglasses.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, bring back the El Camino

I think the two closest vehicles to that (the Australian Ford and Holden 'utes') are no longer in production, but those were car sedan fronts with pickup beds and are still a staple in Aussie car culture.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Leper I respect the receipts as well as the hand waving of factory recalls, I have to still disagree on both parts. Your data is nice and all but

Is a rather narrow metric to be measuring. First three years of ownership typically equal 36,000-45,000 miles of ownership, so leaping to any conclusion about these vehicles long term (100k+ plus, let alone the 300k you’re claiming) reliability is a bit premature.

As for the recalls being a good thing.. I can understand your logic but I believe you’re missing the point on that. What these recalls represent, frankly, are massive sweeping recalls on major components - Hyundais engines, Ford lightnings battery system, kias ignition locking system, Audis gas tank leaks, etc - that are flat out dangers and are effecting hundreds of thousands of cars.

One of those we’ll agree to disagree on and have to wait to see how many of these 2020-onward cars we will see on the road in 2030 with 150k+ miles.

Edit:
thought of more recalls that have annoyed me personally - the Chevy transmission module recall, and Ford coyote head cooling recall.

Thank god the internet exists - almost every lemon law attorney uses forums to gather dozens or even hundreds of owners together to go after the manufacturer. You never had that level of access to customer base and thus, people knew to call it out much faster/regularly

As somebody who has seen this from the other side - I think the first three year/X miles is fair, because what that's judging is if the design is hosed from the start. If there is some issue that can occur with pretty much every vehicle off the line (or in another famous case, the Xbox 360 'red ring' that cost Microsoft billions and affected probably ~40 percent of their units from new before design changes) then that needs to be changed, and the best way to do that is a recall.

Cars are designed to a service life, but that's just because you can't make it "infinite years" and "unlimited miles." in reality, especially with how well-built and how many failures and problems the engines and transmissions are building off of, that's how you get Honda Accords or various Toyotas lasting forever - they're incredible designs, especially considering what maintenance is required. You're more likely to have trim or interior problems before the powertrain goes.

I wish I could show you the apparatus my work has for tracking quality issue, from field reports and analysis on warranty claims to then the people working to make solutions and make them stick. Nobody wants a vehicle that fails, most especially the people on the ground hearing about it every day from customers. (As always, how executives see things is both to be critiqued and scorned, but that goes for everywhere).

also note "recall" is a real sweeping thing, everything from Takata's airbags that are dangerous explosives down to "we need to put a sticker here next time you're getting service done." They can take time to do because you have to 1. identify the problem, 2. identify a solution, and 3. make sure that solution works, because God forbid you have to recall a recall.

also also note that if you have a model line and have too many recalls then you can easily get in trouble with NHTSA and open yourself up to legal action and lemon laws. And beyond legal action, it's a huge impact on your brand and impressions of it. You're paying to fix people's current vehicle, with full knowledge they'll go across the street to your competitor next time since they're fed up with all the failures.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

Went to pick up my dog's ashes which were in a nice enough gift bag it made me wonder if it'd be gauche to use it for a Christmas gift.

It felt kinda sad seeing her pick mine out of a dozen that were waiting in the office corner.

The ashes are in a nice bamboo box in a felt bag that I'd also like to use for Christmas gifting.

Ask me about being too scared to move my dog's ashes out of the bag + box that we received them in over two years ago and into the nice urn that my wife agonized over picking out.

Kalli posted:

That man is a genius.

We almost ordered from a Chinese-Mexican fusion place called https://www.lachinescaphl.com/ over the weekend while we were down in Philly.

They had Peking Duck Tacos and I regret not trying them

Oooooh I haven't heard of this but I know where it's at, I'll have to check them out. Happy to provide food recs next time you are here in Philly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

also RE: the forbidden fruit of old Toyota Land Cruisers - the only amazing thing there is that they haven't had to update the dash/interior/etc. in those, because effectively they're requiring their parts suppliers to keep making old stuff for this one model line instead of whatever newer spec or standard they have for more modern vehicles (and you know it's Toyota so the parts supply is just in time, so it's not like they have warehouses of stuff originally made in the '90s to throw into these now).

but the comments about emissions and crash safety are spot on. There's a reason that a new Land Cruiser coming to the U.S. as a 2024 model looks like this and will be a hybrid. Crash rules are good, because they help keep people safer; emissions regulations are good, and need to get stricter, because we can't keep burning dino juice.

and so when you see there are some markets still selling J70 Land Cruisers, know its because they're places that don't have strict rules. Companies will sell the 1980s design until they're forced to upgrade, because it's cheaper to do that than meet higher standards. and it's never Europe, the U.S., or Japan letting them get away with legacy models - it's what you can collectively call the global south, and until recently the GCC because they didn't care about emissions.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Bring back the VW Rabbit (or a similar truck)

There’s a guy a couple miles down the road from me that has two of these parked next to each other in his driveway :cool:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

There was a Mongolian grill in my college town where you could order a side of tortillas with your bowl and after a big run or bike ride or something it was absolutely killer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GD_American posted:

I mean I guess as long as you don't tell anyone where you got the bag it's fine but I don't think I'd do it

And yeah I was a useless mess for a solid week after saying bye to my old lady :( I feel you

I would recommend waiting a couple months before seriously looking for a new friend, give yourself time to grieve

C-Euro posted:

Ask me about being too scared to move my dog's ashes out of the bag + box that we received them in over two years ago and into the nice urn that my wife agonized over picking out.

Oooooh I haven't heard of this but I know where it's at, I'll have to check them out. Happy to provide food recs next time you are here in Philly.

The box of my old lady's ashes and her pawprint and collar are next to my bed on the nightstand and it's been a couple years now. I should probably put up a shelf or something.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 8, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

it's what you can collectively call the global south, and until recently the GCC because they didn't care about emissions.

Aren’t they selling the 70 series in Australia still?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hell yes dogs with hats

Walter was not impressed

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

harperdc posted:

had a work dinner/drinking party last night, woke up this morning in rough shape.

I see I've missed automobile chat, so time to handle this while wearing proverbial very dark sunglasses.

I don't know how to quantify it in a meaningful way, but I absolutely think build quality peaked and has declined with nothing but personal qualitative examples. My wife and I bought 2006 Accords a month apart in January 2010. They racked up a combined 365k miles with mine having a mixing valve stick that limited the heat I could get in the cabin HVAC as the only unscheduled maintenance outside of the Takata recall. My wife's had the Takata recall and a power steering hose recall as the only mechanical issue before the fuel pump needed replaced at 180k. My definition of unscheduled may not be as wide as other people because I think something like a stuck caliper or her taking a rock to the AC condenser are normal wear and tear, but those cars were rock solid (sold mine at 185k miles with the original clutch still in it).

The 2014 Accord I got in 2017 needed the starter replaced around 50k miles and was of noticeably worse interior quality. My dad has a Ridgeline that needed the transmission replaced at 60k (semi-known issue that Honda mostly subsidized and he had the transmission fluid replaced early to proactively avoid it), and now he may be getting a new engine for free as a recall. My mom has a Subaru Outback they bought new and have had the driveshaft replaced twice before 50k.

Maybe it's my Honda bias being applied industry-wide, because I do think they peaked in quality in the 2000's, but my general dislike for the MBA-ification of most industries has me suspicious of vehicles lately.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

GD_American posted:

Our vet being incredibly on top of things is usually great, but when we had to have our dog and cat put down a few days apart they removed them both from our online profile like RIGHT away and got the ashes back to us in a few days. Both of those were noteworthy events that made my wife breakdown (the ashes got me, she was the only one that dealt with the website).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Maybe it's my Honda bias being applied industry-wide, because I do think they peaked in quality in the 2000's, but my general dislike for the MBA-ification of most industries has me suspicious of vehicles lately.

I still think the line is going up decade on decade, but you can also tell sometimes when the bean counters take control (like famously at Honda in the 2010s) and everything starts feeling worse and more cost-oriented.

It’s important to make a vehicle at a price point, but gently caress’s sake, why skimp on what’s needed for quality. Decades to build a reputation can be undone in one car generation (5-7 years) just because you choose a couple cheaper parts.

I think Honda’s got engineers back up top, evidence for which comes in the form of the new Prelude concept that came out recently.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Pretty much everything we had was good. Was there for Pax Unplugged so stayed within walking distance of the convention center. Basically cruised chinatown outside of the first night we went to Monster Vegan which I'd recommend if you're looking for that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Aren’t they selling the 70 series in Australia still?

Australia is weirdly behind Europe and the U.S. in some safety/emissions stuff, plus it's also targeted as a farm and commercial vehicle.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

tomlin gonna get fired and end up in carolina

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

From your lips to God's ears.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ozymandius1024 posted:

From your lips to God's ears.

:hmmyes:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

Australia is weirdly behind Europe and the U.S. in some safety/emissions stuff, plus it's also targeted as a farm and commercial vehicle.

Oh nice.

I’m hoping the new LC will be nice and available sometime before the actual end of civilization.

We also have two paid off cars and I do quite like my current truck, but I have a very strong pull toward Landcruisers. Because marketing loving works I reckon.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

tomlin gonna get fired and end up in carolinaChicago

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

harperdc posted:

It’s important to make a vehicle at a price point, but gently caress’s sake, why skimp on what’s needed for quality. Decades to build a reputation can be undone in one car generation (5-7 years) just because you choose a couple cheaper parts.

See: Mercedes-Benz

harperdc posted:

I think the two closest vehicles to that (the Australian Ford and Holden 'utes') are no longer in production, but those were car sedan fronts with pickup beds and are still a staple in Aussie car culture.

and fyi for anyone that hasn't seen them, they have made some very, very lustworthy performance versions. (click for big)

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I'm watching this poo poo show called Thursday Night Football at a bus transfer point waiting for my bus to arrive. First leg of the ride the driver just drove past me and I had to run two blocks to catch them coming back. Now, the bus that said "Out of Service" on the placard just drove off and was apparently the one I've been waiting in the cold for for the last half hour.

My little suburb is trying to get mass transit working contracting with the neighboring city. I want it to succeed and support it, but now those fuckers cost me $20 because I'm not waiting here another hour and instead am taking a Lyft.

Anyway that's my rant thanks for reading gently caress the Cowboys.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Modern video games with their multiple gigabyte updates are infuriating. I just want to sit down and play the drat game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Modern video games with their multiple gigabyte updates are infuriating. I just want to sit down and play the drat game.

Do they make zero effort at compression? 70gig patches are freaking insane to me

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

wandler20 posted:

I tried to load up Lego fortnite at my mom's house on a laptop and it was 50gb, her connection maxed out at 1 MB a second so I just gave up and did used wifi in town later in the day. It's crazy to me the most basic games like that can take up so much space, when mgsv was 22gb or so.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Pretty much everything we had was good. Was there for Pax Unplugged so stayed within walking distance of the convention center. Basically cruised chinatown outside of the first night we went to Monster Vegan which I'd recommend if you're looking for that.

Chinatown and Reading Terminal being next to each other is unfair for the other areas of the city vying for "best food".

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

GD_American posted:

Do they make zero effort at compression? 70gig patches are freaking insane to me

Nope.

When I was still playing Warzone 70-80 gig patches weren't that unusual

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

See: Mercedes-Benz

and fyi for anyone that hasn't seen them, they have made some very, very lustworthy performance versions. (click for big)

I learned to do burnouts in a v8 ss Holden Ute. A v8 RWD with very little weight over the back wheels indeed fries tyres.

Also the Land Cruiser is almost a buy it for life ute out here. If you can stomach the asking price which I'm pretty sure is like 88,000 dollars and you know how to use a screw driver you can pretty much self maintain one of those things for a hundred years.

They suck on the highway but if the world were to end tomorrow I'd rather have one of those than almost anything else.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't you loving dare, I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Don't you loving dare, I love him

You can love him in Carolina