Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Video Games > Games Industry: We're Not That Kind Of Company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’m a few pages late but i will gladly give my life savings to the Timesplitters devs so they can finish it. The world needs a new Timesplitters.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If someone works at a game company for a few years but quits before the game they were on releases, do they still get their name in the credits?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

If someone works at a game company for a few years but quits before the game they were on releases, do they still get their name in the credits?

It's entirely up to the individual studio's crediting practices but most of the time the answer is no.

This leads to a number of problems.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

VostokProgram posted:

The times I’ve done this I’ve ended up in the Special Thanks section rather than with the programmers who were still there, but yeah, pretty sure it just depends on the company.

e: Actually, looks like for the most recent one I was listed under “Additional Programming”.

I don’t think I’ve ever not been listed at all.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 7, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's entirely up to the individual studio's crediting practices but most of the time the answer is no.

This leads to a number of problems.

Generally, this has not been my experience or observation. Game credits are not taken as proof of much of anything in my game dev circles. It's not like film where crediting is very codified and taken seriously.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

pumpinglemma posted:

Oh, there are a ton of good reasons not to walk out of a job without having something else lined up. Quietly sending out applications in the background, though, that’s something anyone can do.

What stood out to me in a big way was reporting that Bungie employees were getting Sony stock/RSUs as part of the deal, which tends to happen with larger dollar value acquisitions especially when the B values get dropped.

That'll change the employee dynamics, since you land in the "golden handcuffs" situation. Part of your compensation is now stock, usually on a vestment timer.

Someone at Bungie may not be happy about not getting a bonus this year, but the actual issue is going to be RSU top ups. Someone with $250,000 of Sony stock RSU's on a 3 year vestment isn't going to quit and may ride things out for a while, because at that point your hope for changing jobs is getting the new place to match/beat the vestment.

That lowers the employment prospects a bit since RSU compenation isn't common throughout games, but specific studios do offer it as part of the total compensation.

I was part of a (different) studio that was acquired, and wanted to change jobs, it took a while to get offers that "beat" what I had vested, otherwise I wasn't changing jobs.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mutata posted:

Generally, this has not been my experience or observation. Game credits are not taken as proof of much of anything in my game dev circles. It's not like film where crediting is very codified and taken seriously.

I'm in credits for Horizon Zero Dawn... roughly 20 minutes after the list of Guerrilla Babies

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Most of the games I've worked on don't even have credits.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mutata posted:

Totally agree, credit's ain't proof of poo poo, lots of politics.

It's hot trash in Film in some circles, particularly VFX. You'll may have 1,000 guys work on VFX for a big blockbuster tentpole film, and only 1/3 get credit, and out of that, take a look next time you watch a marvel film or something, you get lumped into the VFX war memorial, 300 people all credited as "Digital Artists" in 14 point font across 5 columns, meanwhile the 2 catering dudes get a 2 line card :). But in film a credit can mean something on the backend if you are unionized. Eg. you may be entitled to residuals and profit participation for certain above the line credits like a writer.

In games, it's pretty fuckin' wild. You could credit everyone but it's still arbitrary.

I made large contributions to a major AAA release and because I left at the end of the project, someone bumped me to "Special thanks to..." which is generally reserved for people who leave mid project.

Ah well, the pay at the new job alleviates any concerns about that... still sucks I didn't get a proper credit I guess.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Big K of Justice posted:

Totally agree, credit's ain't proof of poo poo, lots of politics.

It's hot trash in Film in some circles, particularly VFX. You'll may have 1,000 guys work on VFX for a big blockbuster tentpole film, and only 1/3 get credit, and out of that, take a look next time you watch a marvel film or something, you get lumped into the VFX war memorial, 300 people all credited as "Digital Artists" in 14 point font across 5 columns, meanwhile the 2 catering dudes get a 2 line card :). But in film a credit can mean something on the backend oif you are unionized. Eg. you may be entitled to residuals and profit participation for certain above the line credits [eg. Writers, etc]

In games, it's pretty fuckin' wild. You could credit everyone but its still arbitrary.

I made large contributions to a major AAA release and because I left at the end of the project, someone bumped me to "Special thanks to..." which is generally reserved for people who leave mid project.

Ah well, the pay at the new job alleviates any concerns about that... still sucks I didn't get a proper credit I guess.

Catering dudes need to deal with the personalities directly and probably deserve every bit of space they earn.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

VostokProgram posted:

Crediting in video games is the wild west. I was credited on one game I worked on for three months; and on another project I was the lead narrative designer for almost two years but left before release, and was left off the credits completely. No one in the industry cares much because everyone understands that it's a mess, which is a big reason why nothing has changed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

leper khan posted:

Catering dudes need to deal with the personalities directly and probably deserve every bit of space they earn.

well okay but the actual difference is that they have a union and vfx people don't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chillmatic posted:

Crediting in video games is the wild west. I was credited on one game I worked on for three months; and on another project I was the lead narrative designer for almost two years but left before release, and was left off the credits completely. No one in the industry cares much because everyone understands that it's a mess, which is a big reason why nothing has changed.

it doesn't matter whether the workers care or not, companies aren't gonna give a gently caress about consistent crediting unless union rules demand it of them
and by and large computer touchers are still too dumb to unionize, barring a few nice exceptions

efb

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
i'm credited for about 40-50% of what i worked on for 10+ years, and it doesn't mean jack poo poo except proof to people searching whether im a fraud or not

boy, it sure would be nice to be unionized and get residuals

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

dopesilly posted:

i'm credited for about 40-50% of what i worked on for 10+ years, and it doesn't mean jack poo poo except proof to people searching whether im a fraud or not

boy, it sure would be nice to be unionized and get residuals

I don't think you'll get residuals either way.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/SuperRADLemon/status/1732782992467075220/photo/1

Capcom seems to be really cracking down on mods.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

to be fair, a tournament did have a mod mishap not too long ago where chun li showed up naked

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kith posted:

to be fair, a tournament did have a mod mishap not too long ago where chun li showed up naked

I heard about that, but it makes me wonder if it's going to discourage sites from hosting mods for Capcom games in fear of reprisal, and if that's going to result the modding scenes for those games dropping off massively.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What possible legal basis is there for that?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Anticheese posted:

You don't get broadcast/performance rights for a game when you buy a license for it on steam. Copyright holder has control.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

leper khan posted:

You don't get broadcast/performance rights for a game when you buy a license for it on steam. Copyright holder has control.

that sucks. is it any different on GoG or anywhere else?

I'm not personally impacted but I think you should be able to record and publish videos of a product you "bought"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

take boat posted:

I'm not personally impacted but I think you should be able to record and publish videos of a product you "bought"

Its not particularly different than not having the right to play music for money* even if you bought the sheet music and an instrument.

*there are laws set up with associated costs you need to pay to do this without a unique contract each time and make this less painful and not ruinously expensive, and could be made for videogames

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

take boat posted:

The entire game streaming industry basically exists on the sufferance of the game developers/publishers. When you buy games you don't get the rights to restream them for the same reasons why you technically can't restream movies you buy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anticheese posted:

they don't need a legal basis, youtube strike/takedown system is extralegal and gives far more power to copyright leeches than the law requires

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also, legally, copyright law does not allow you to copy software from e.g. a web site to your hard disk or from install.exe to an actually installation, you are granted that permission by the EULA which can apply any condition they want to how you use their software.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

take boat posted:

I bought a BluRay of Avengers:Endgame, is it reasonable for me to upload a 3 hour long video of the entire film with my face in the corner "reacting" to it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a game and a movie are pretty different because the experience of playign a game is very different from watching it on youtube but watching a movie on youtube and watching a movie on dvd are largely the same besides video quality

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Endorph posted:

a game and a movie are pretty different because the experience of playign a game is very different from watching it on youtube but watching a movie on youtube and watching a movie on dvd are largely the same besides video quality

So you're saying it's fine as long as my reaction faces make the experience "very different"?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I dunno, does your stream of the movie with your face have the potential to make the movie explode in popularity and become 'the next big thing' that everyone buys

If game companies weren't getting any benefit from streamers and YouTube like free marketing or becoming the next big thing or whatever then I'm sure they would have put a stop to it a long time ago?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jabor posted:

So you're saying it's fine as long as my reaction faces make the experience "very different"?

i mean unless i can directly control iron man by buying a dvd this comparison still doesnt make sense

also have game streams ever actually negatively impacted a games popularity

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean unless i can directly control iron man by buying a dvd this comparison still doesnt make sense

I would actually say Cyberpunk probably suffered from it because the problems got a lot more widespread, but it was also well deserved.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Endorph posted:

When chun li is naked and Ryu has a 2 foot long cock with jiggle physics.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Resdfru posted:

If game companies weren't getting any benefit from streamers and YouTube like free marketing or becoming the next big thing or whatever then I'm sure they would have put a stop to it a long time ago?

It's funny, because this discussion literally started with an example of a company doing exactly that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurieg posted:

that did not negatively impact street fighter 6

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Capcom in particular has been really weird about mods and even things like data mining from disc and I think still have a lot of Japanese boomer syndrome in upper management.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Capcom in particular has been really weird about mods and even things like data mining from disc and I think still have a lot of Japanese boomer syndrome in upper management.

sf x tekken got basically completely killed by people finding all 12 dlc characters complete on disk at launch and the dlc was just flags to enable them

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Did those videos contain nude mods or other explicit mods?

Or was it just anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Did those videos contain nude mods or other explicit mods?

Or was it just anything.
Anything. they were hitting people using MVC3 mods with new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Naked chun li has never turned away a person who likes street fighter