Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

post this in the P/i thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Unrelated to this thread, but maybe some of you can help:

I read a story/journal article years ago about postwar japan, and a culture of pacification/childishness that was used to deal with/accept responsibility for imperial japan and its nuclear end. i don't remember much else about it, which country had that idea, etc.

does this ring a bell to anyone? A book/article/anything would be helpful

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mawarannahr posted:

post this in the P/i thread

logistics supremacy is when moving a grill and a fryer

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Remember, Russians were also thought of as Asian drunken aggressive brutes so it is saying more about how American writers thought of them than their own culture. Also, yeah the Bajorans are specifically supposed to be Israelis, not necessarily Jews. Remember also, back in the 1990s, Palestinians were only terrorists and only Israelis were spiritual freedom fighters.

Basically, it is a mess because the stereotypes they are pulling from are non-sensical and often made up.

Yeah, I will admit that this is pretty much just my own interpretation. It is interesting how context and history change how we interpret these shows. Courageous Israeli freedom fighters become courageous Palestinians.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
flailing my arms and screaming IT'S SAFE, IT'S ACTUALLY SAFER THAN THE H-60, B-52, C-5, AND C-135 as my on-fire Frankenstein plane/helicopter spirals into the ocean

(btw I wasn't even looking for this, it was recommended to me in the home page feed lmao)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Eglin Airforce Base must have been working overtime on reddit since 2022.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"the only rotor platform that can self-deploy globally as well as contest China in the Pacific."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike the CH-46 and CH-53 it replaced, it can't actually be used for the specialized missions those helicopters were employed in, like ASW, SAR, aerial minesweeping, resulting in vital capabilities being lost as they were retired?

e: Yep. I see that this worked out for Sikorsky, who just got orders for the CH-53K King Stallion as the V-22 cannot do what was promised and take over those tasks.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Dec 7, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Self deploying directly into the south china sea

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

"the only rotor platform that can self-deploy globally as well as contest China in the Pacific."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike the CH-46 and CH-53 it replaced, it can't actually be used for the specialized missions those helicopters were employed in, like ASW, SAR, aerial minesweeping, resulting in vital capabilities being lost as they were retired?

e: Yep. I see that this worked out for Sikorsky, who just got orders for the CH-53K King Stallion as the V-22 cannot do what was promised and take over those tasks.

Is there an actual reason it can't like payload or just those payloads haven't been adapted to the v22 yet? I know the CH-53K has like 60% more net payload capacity than a V22.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I read a story/journal article years ago about postwar japan, and a culture of pacification/childishness that was used to deal with/accept responsibility for imperial japan and its nuclear end. i don't remember much else about it, which country had that idea, etc.

That sounds like Paranoia Agent, but as an article.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Boat Stuck posted:

flailing my arms and screaming IT'S SAFE, IT'S ACTUALLY SAFER THAN THE H-60, B-52, C-5, AND C-135 as my on-fire Frankenstein plane/helicopter spirals into the ocean

(btw I wasn't even looking for this, it was recommended to me in the home page feed lmao)

It's super safe, but it's not immune to pilot error. It only looks bad because by an overwhelmingly improbably statistical fluke, Ospreys are exclusively flown by all of the absolute worst pilots in the entire armed forces.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Is there an actual reason it can't like payload or just those payloads haven't been adapted to the v22 yet? I know the CH-53K has like 60% more net payload capacity than a V22.

I would assume because you need to carry a lot of weight and fly slowly and stably to use sonar buoys, mine sweeps, dipping sonar, MAD gear, air dropped torpedoes, etc etc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think it bears repeating that the guy on reddit who made a whole account to defend the honor of the V-22, died in a V-22 crash and he was the pilot.

Like, I don't have anything against him really. But still, one wonders what his last thoughts were as that which he insisted was unlikely and overblown was in fact happening to him. Statistically this doesn't happen, but that's cold comfort as you hurtle to the sea.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have lifelong injuries from the artillery and I still love the artillery so, idk

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, if I were trained on an aircraft, particularly one as unique as the V22, I’d be fairly proud of it and fanboy about it too

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
wunderwaffe syndrome from top to the bottom

pilot: this planicopter is so good im going to white knight it online

also pilot: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I have lifelong injuries from the artillery and I still love the artillery so, idk

Yeah but that could also be from the brain damage

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Yeah but that could also be from the brain damage

Touche

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

I mean, you did read this book entirely.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I remember this too.

E: possibly this but the full pdf requires a login and I'm on mobile. Google has a quote though.

quote:

Murakami believes that the childishness of Japan's pop-culture is partly due to the traumas of World War II, including the atomic bomb and the...

e2: I perused that PDF and I don't think it's what OP was referring to.

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Dec 7, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Boat Stuck posted:

brother you had to know you were tempting fate. practically blowing a raspberry at it.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, if I were trained on an aircraft, particularly one as unique as the V22, I’d be fairly proud of it and fanboy about it too

Same. People (mostly dudes) just love their dangerous equipment that they work with, especially if they get to control it. For some reason the first example that springs to mind is Siegfried and Roy and their tigers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we regret to inform the subreddit that TIGERS_R_PEACEFUL1989 has been, in the words of his widow, "devoured by a tiger."

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Votskomit posted:

That sounds like Paranoia Agent, but as an article.

Yes, it's called anime, that's the culture of childishness.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DickParasite posted:

I remember this too.

E: possibly this but the full pdf requires a login and I'm on mobile. Google has a quote though.

e2: I perused that PDF and I don't think it's what OP was referring to.
I'm not sure that's it. that paper seems to be mostly about anime, what i read was not. but thank you

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Frosted Flake posted:

You post well enough that I don't think your brain got scrambled. I assume hearing loss?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fell Mood posted:

You post well enough that I don't think your brain got scrambled. I assume hearing loss?

cant orgasm unless his partner yanks a cord first

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/iwelsh/status/1732881724021850616

https://twitter.com/iwelsh/status/1732883197589934583

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't find the Japanese popular media more "Childish", but they have 1) apocalyptic endings coming out of nowhere in a third of the shows and 2) lean way more into escapism than any other countires popular media I know. Both of which are obvious reaction of WW2.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Hubbert posted:

Yes, it's called anime, that's the culture of childishness.

For those who don't know it, the central premise of paranoia agent is that a bunch of seemingly disconnected people all make up a fictional (American themed) villain to blame for their problems, and/or escape from reality into cutesy anime. There's a strong theme of people in Japan trying to avoid responsibility and play the victim.

Also the show makes overt references to mushroom clouds.

I remember it as a good show but it's been a few decades.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't find the Japanese popular media more "Childish", but they have 1) apocalyptic endings coming out of nowhere in a third of the shows and 2) lean way more into escapism than any other countires popular media I know. Both of which are obvious reaction of WW2.

The escapsim might not just be a reaction to WW2, but also what 30 years now of lost generations because America made them kill their booming economy. I'd guess a good comparison would be with South Korea, but I'm pretty sure depicting New Deal politics on tv there is illegal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Delta-Wye posted:

cant orgasm unless his partner yanks a cord first

There unironically was a chapter in a book about sexual dysfunction among artillerymen after the First World War, but I forget which book and what the cause was off the top of my head.

I would speculate that dudes rock and perhaps women weren't that interesting after the opening barrage at Cambrai.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/BankerWeimar/status/1732512538523267211

How many hundreds of articles did the wsj in the 80s and 90s praising offshoring manufacturing

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Self deploying directly into the south china sea

Self deploying directly into the ground.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PawParole posted:

How many hundreds of articles did the wsj in the 80s and 90s praising offshoring manufacturing

This is what's funny to me about capitalism, or maybe liberalism (or both!).

They did this to themselves, but now they're in a blind corner, and because they still believe "the problems are bad but their causes are good", they either can't imagine what to do about it or can't imagine doing it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PawParole posted:

lmao they cite elon musk as a positive example

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1732363640307683600

thankfully dogs of the american empire will be the southern quids who hamstring every attempt by the modern jefferson davis to attempt to reindustrialize america

Danann has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Dec 8, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

thankfully dogs of the american empire will be the southern quids who hamstring every attempt by the modern jefferson davis to attempt to reindustrialize america

making more stuff instead of further financializing would make number sad, ok

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

This is what's funny to me about capitalism, or maybe liberalism (or both!).

They did this to themselves, but now they're in a blind corner, and because they still believe "the problems are bad but their causes are good", they either can't imagine what to do about it or can't imagine doing it.

They can't possibly accept this production capacity problem, because it lends a straight path to the fundamental bug of free market capitalism.

Stairmaster posted:

lmao they cite elon musk as a positive example

They are going to hire Emusk as the Sec of Defense to streamline the shell production.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Danann posted:

been a while since I've seen a russia is a gas station reply