Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wide or long landscapes aren't better or worse, but wide is vastly overdone because that's the lenses almost everyone has. Even with high end glass, wide angle is a lot cheaper. I do agree wide is a lot harder to fill the frame correctly with. Wide generally gives a better sense of scale when done well, and can feel more visceral since it is closer to our natural FOV.

Shooting long on landscapes does give you an entirely new perspective, since it is so different than what our eyes see. It lets you easily isolate your subjects and draw focus a lot more directly too. The results generally stand out more in the crowded field of wide shots.

I tend to like landscape shots like this the most though, where you could tell me it was taken at 24mm or 200mm and both seem plausible. Too often the ultra-wide shots are more about the extreme angle than the content, and super long (400+) looks too compressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A1449 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Long vs wide, it comes down to whether the image is a copy of something people have seen a million times or not.
A stereotypical couples picture with the Eiffel tower in the background taken with a long lens (fancy camera)? Yawn.
Earth rise viewed by a human for the first time from the moon taken with a Holga? gently caress yeah!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

Gonna have to disagree. The shorter focal lengths just require you to zoom with your feet and be an active participant.

21 mm:

28 mm:

goddamn, I also prefer around 50mm but there's no arguing with those results

El Laucha posted:

I've been trying to get back to taking photos

big fan of these also!

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 4, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

El Laucha posted:

Looks like you found it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I think so. Pleasant image.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Beautiful colors. I'm a sucker for sunsets.
If you want concise feedback I would tell you what I would have told myself when I started out: a beautiful scene does not necessarily translate to an interesting or captivating photograph. I think this could be even better if you for example put more emphasis on the silhouetted foreground objects.
*mwah* :discourse:

Love the gradual fading of each ridgeline.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

El Laucha posted:

aces all around, really nice composition, lighting and atmospheric layering of the mountains and the valley as they recede in the back, and that cool sense of scale you get from the people hiking

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

QuasiQuack posted:

If you want concise feedback I would tell you what I would have told myself when I started out: a beautiful scene does not necessarily translate to an interesting or captivating photograph. I think this could be even better if you for example put more emphasis on the silhouetted foreground objects.

Good feedback for the OP. What do you think about the fact that you can see some detail in the bottom versus it being a completely black foreground? At first I had been going to suggest that the OP mask that out and make it all black, but then I actually liked that if the viewer looks closely, they can pick out some details. It makes the photo more interesting to me

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
When I looked at it on my phone it was subtle and didn't mind it. On desktop I found it a bit distracting personally.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i like the hint of detail personally on that shot

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with cropping foreground on that one is you'd have to get rid of all the houses, and by the time you did that it'd just be a sliver of tree silhouettes at the bottom. It feels unbalanced then.

I guess another option is to completely crush all detail out of the bottom then crop to taste but I'm not convinced it would be an improvement.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

QuasiQuack posted:

ty!

QuasiQuack posted:

interesting takeaway. i suppose i assume whatever is nice to look at with your eye automatically makes a good photo. while that doesn't have to not be true, what i'm not considering is that a photo can have different properties to make it more interesting, too.

thank you for the perspective. i'll tinker with the foreground a bit

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

ty!

interesting takeaway. i suppose i assume whatever is nice to look at with your eye automatically makes a good photo. while that doesn't have to not be true, what i'm not considering is that a photo can have different properties to make it more interesting, too.

thank you for the perspective. i'll tinker with the foreground a bit

Watch this youtube series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTQtLjIqecdydlanOGh6iwoWOb9VxpDts

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think this is the most interesting part of the scene.

I don’t think there’s much use trying to tinker and analyze that shot too much beyond cropping out a lot of the clutter in the frame. I assume it was a “hey the sunset looks really good now” shot without much thought for the composition and foreground beyond that? My advice would be to go shoot a sunset again but compose the entire shot beforehand to compliment the sky and not just be busy filler in most of the frame.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

blue squares posted:

Good feedback for the OP. What do you think about the fact that you can see some detail in the bottom versus it being a completely black foreground? At first I had been going to suggest that the OP mask that out and make it all black, but then I actually liked that if the viewer looks closely, they can pick out some details. It makes the photo more interesting to me

To be completely frank I didn't see any detail there on my phone screen. Maybe I shouldn't judge or contribute criticism before viewing something on a proper screen. :v:
As for the question, I have no answer. I waffle between all black, some detail or lots of detail. Unable to decide what I like best.
Usually I just keep them for myself, but here's a few.

As mentioned I love sunsets.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

QuasiQuack posted:

To be completely frank I didn't see any detail there on my phone screen. Maybe I shouldn't judge or contribute criticism before viewing something on a proper screen. :v:
As for the question, I have no answer. I waffle between all black, some detail or lots of detail. Unable to decide what I like best.
Usually I just keep them for myself, but here's a few.

As mentioned I love sunsets.

Ooooh, these two are the keepers and are great examples of leaving the little hints of details that make the photo come alive, especially the bottom one

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

^ love both of these.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

yea this one is very nice

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Thanks y'all :cloudnine:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

blue squares posted:

Mega Comrade posted:

When I looked at it on my phone it was subtle and didn't mind it. On desktop I found it a bit distracting personally.

hope and vaseline posted:

i like the hint of detail personally on that shot

xzzy posted:

The problem with cropping foreground on that one is you'd have to get rid of all the houses, and by the time you did that it'd just be a sliver of tree silhouettes at the bottom. It feels unbalanced then.

I guess another option is to completely crush all detail out of the bottom then crop to taste but I'm not convinced it would be an improvement.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think this is the most interesting part of the scene.

appreciate all the discussion here. all interesting perspectives and it gives me more to think about as i continue ramping up into this hobby. and i saved that youtube playlist about photo composing.

i thought it might be helpful (or distracting?) to include the completely unedited original version of the photo i took:

the foreground is still in that "barely visible" territory, so i'm not sure if it warrants any further discussion than what's already been brought up. part of me actually like the unedited version better bc it's more "natural" but the edits were me just trying to see what was possible in Lr. i like that it's stylized.

maybe a question worth asking is how far does anyone here feel is "too far" when it comes to editing? maybe it's covered in that youtube playlist. if so, i'll get to it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Too far" is not covered in that series and it's super subjective. No one in here complained about it so that's generally a positive sign, goons are savage with calling out over processing. I have seen skies that red before so it didn't really trigger any alarms.

But in the end all that actually matters is whether you had fun and enjoy the product.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

appreciate that! i know we all must have seen dozens of photos on various social platforms where the saturation is overblown and you get that halo'ing effect around clouds of a landscape and everything looks super fake. obviously trying to avoid that.

got to catch a sunset near my job last night and grabbed a few photos at various points as it was going down.

edit

original

edit

original

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that's the good stuff

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

wow

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

poo poo that’s fire

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

beautiful stuff. Love the colours

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing better than a perfect tree with some kickass weather.

And being there with a camera.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

thanks everyone :)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

gently caress off

that's so good

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:drat:

Now we're talking. Holy poo poo.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Oh my gosh

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A2035 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A2037 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yes

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that’s great. Sort of a warm contrast? Has the feel of a painting

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

took me four months, but finally had some time/headspace

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress yeah zooming in on mountains

The mottled light one is my jam. Also the moon one, the cloud is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

took me four months, but finally had some time/headspace.

Love all of those, but these two especially.