Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I have some medical debt from ~3.5 years ago that I had completely forgotten about, got a notice today that it would be sent to Revenue Recapture which would be taking it from my state tax returns, I'm in MN. It's about $3700. Is there anything I can do about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dxt posted:

I have some medical debt from ~3.5 years ago that I had completely forgotten about, got a notice today that it would be sent to Revenue Recapture which would be taking it from my state tax returns, I'm in MN. It's about $3700. Is there anything I can do about this?

I don't live in MN, and IANAL, but I don't think so. From looking at the Revenue Recapture websites, it looks like the state can collect debts from other state/local agencies without going through the standard go to court and get a default judgement, process.

There should be some info on the notice you get on how to contest it, you might only have 45 days or less to do so if you want to. If your income was below the poverty line when you got the medical services you might be able to avoid the recapture as well. I'm just going off info from the MN website. https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/revenue-recapture-related-information

I'm guessing there isn't a ton to stop it at this point though.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I was contacted by a debt collector via email back in December regarding an unpaid utility bill from an electricity utility at an address I didn't recognize. At that time, I sent them a dispute with a signed lease and my latest bill from that utility for the address I did live at, saying I didn't recognize the debt because I didn't live at that address. Today they got back to me, rejecting the dispute and attaching scans of the unpaid bills. The bills do have my full name and the unrecognized address but no other identifying information.

I was thinking of asking for a signed lease showing I lived at the address in question. Is there any other kind of proof I can provide (or demand)? They did utility signups over the phone during covid restrictions, so there's no signed agreement I can ask for, I think. I thought about filing an identity theft report but I live in Tokyo now so it'd be rather inconvenient.

edit: contacted the utility + management company for the building directly and, after several rounds of back and forth, the utility said they would very much prefer I pay but had opened a ticket internally to investigate and then went radio silent. the collector calls stopped at that time so hopefully it's all sorted now

Steely Glint fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 28, 2023

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
Got a letter in the mail from Credit Collection Services collecting ~$280 on behalf of Allstate. The debt is very recent, letter dated a week ago, received it yesterday. I switched from Allstate to GEICO in January, but I forgot to cancel the policy with Allstate. It's cancelled now for nonpayment and if I log into my Allstate account it states a balance due with the exact amount listed in the collection letter. I haven't seen any dings on 1 of 3 credit reports (can't get the other 2 reports online, have to call for some reason).

Is there any chance I can just pay the debt at ccspayment.com and the whole ordeal would be over with and nothing ever gets reported? I don't see any negative remarks, if this is my chance to pay before it gets reported, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd just chalk it up as idiot tax. Maybe I'd finally get my act together and be more organized.

Or has the damage already been done, it's been reported, the negative remarks are showing up soon. And the play now is to get everything in writing along the way because I'll need ammo to get the negative remark removed, whether it's because of their negligence or because I negotiated a 'pay for delete'? On that note, is 'pay for delete' still a thing in 2023? I've read elsewhere that it has fallen out of favor because it's frowned upon to "rewrite history" by making previously legitimate dings go away. If it's not a thing anymore, and worst-case scenario, all i's are dotted and t's are crossed, what are my options for getting the ding removed? Although I guess it should still be a thing, otherwise what's my incentive to pay if it's not going to remove the ding, right?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is there a good resource for looking into or vetting businesses that claim to be able to consolidate and negotiate down debt? (Or is that just a scammy service)?

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
No one’s suing me yet, but I have two debt collectors coming after me right now. One is for a dentist for like $100, and other is from Synchrony Bank for my phone financing for $570-ish.

I’ve been unemployed since December. I won’t be starting a new job until the end of June and I have zero money to pay them.

If I call and tell them that, will they hold off until I can pay them? I really don’t want them to sue me, obviously, and I’m pretty sure it’s already impacting my credit score. I’m 20 and have never dealt with this kind of thing.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
It's very unlikely they'll sue for such small amounts.

If they're debt collecters and not the original creditors, send a debt validation letter via certified mail with return receipt and see if they reply. Do not talk to them on the phone . They can and will lie to you about the seriousness of the situation. You might say stuff that make things harder for you. Any "deal" you work out verbally is worth the paper it's printed on.

If it's the original creditors, calling them is more likely to help.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
What's the simplest way to actually legally contact (to resolve utterly) someone who owns some fragment of ancient debt and just sits there wanting $192 or whatever in your credit report like a gremlin? I've got a few of these sitting around as background noise in my credit report and would like to understand how to efficiently pay them off to get that pointless demerit off the record. Money isn't an issue, and the total amount between the three creditors is barely $300. How can I most easily be rid of this black mark?

Edit: It also looks like one of them in particular has gotten sold off a few times. Looks like it's in Minnesota now? I dunno, just wondering about the tools I could use beyond looking at what my credit union provides me to understand how to get these random assholes off my back.

Beet fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 27, 2023

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
How old is "ancient"?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Keep in mind that paying won't get it "off the record." It simply changes it to a different category that may or may not improve your credit score. It may even keep it on your report for longer, as paying can reset the amount of time old debt can stay on the report.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have gotten a few calls from a debt collector about an ex-girlfriend's credit card debt because I was apparently listed as the emergency contact. I have had no contact with the ex since we ended things and none of our finances were ever tied together, ever. There's nothing strange in my credit report so I think that I'm being contacted solely because my name and number were listed as the emergency contact. How do I get them to stop bothering me and to tell the guy to pound sand? The gently caress seriously.

e: The person on the phone does not say it's for debt collection, just that they need to speak with my ex "for business purposes" and that they are contacting the account's emergency contact. I googled the phone number and it comes up as debt collections.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: The person on the phone does not say it's for debt collection, just that they need to speak with my ex "for business purposes" and that they are contacting the account's emergency contact. I googled the phone number and it comes up as debt collections.

They're legally barred from disclosing that your ex owes a debt to a known third party, so it seems they're at least playing it somewhat by the book. However, they're only allowed to call you once, and it seems they're ignoring that part of the FDCPA. Send them a certified letter laying out that you don't have your ex's contact information and requesting them to stop contacting you. If they don't, start logging calls, and after 2 or 3 more you have a pretty clear-cut case that they owe you up to $1000 a pop.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
e: I'll just assume posting this was a bad idea.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 25, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
My buddy just found out his entire family is getting rawdogged by creditors thanks to the good folks at the Church of Scientology.

Unfortunately, some accounts were opened in his name that he was not aware of until Friday when he started getting calls about it.

I initially opened the call thinking it was a "help me set up a budget" but based on the scope of what he's shared with me now, I'm thinking I need to get some sort of lawyer that specializes in unfucking people's lives from that specific organization.

Any tips on where the gently caress to even start? I have to imagine there are groups out there that specialize in this but a brief Google search didn't yield anything useful yet.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

If you or your friends know any lawyers, ask them for recommendations. I don't think a bankruptcy attorney could help with the situation, but they could probably point you in the right direction.

For the accounts he didn't open, that's identity theft, so look for lawyers or groups that help with that.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

vortmax posted:

If you or your friends know any lawyers, ask them for recommendations. I don't think a bankruptcy attorney could help with the situation, but they could probably point you in the right direction.

For the accounts he didn't open, that's identity theft, so look for lawyers or groups that help with that.

I know a couple lawyers so I'll check with them; I don't live in Scientology Country though.

As for the fraud part, I agree; it's his mom though and he's not wanting to throw her under the bus, which makes things difficult.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'd start by contacting lawyers that advertise practicing law around the Fair Debt Collection Act because the "getting calls" part is directly their wheelhouse, and from there they can direct on the fraud / ID theft part.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Zarin posted:

I know a couple lawyers so I'll check with them; I don't live in Scientology Country though.

As for the fraud part, I agree; it's his mom though and he's not wanting to throw her under the bus, which makes things difficult.

I'm afraid he's very likely going to have to, at least it he wants the defuckulating to work. Once you start making claims like "rescind this loan because it wasn't me who took it out," the bank is going to demand a police report or similar, to establish that it in fact was not him who took it out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

JohnCompany posted:

I'm afraid he's very likely going to have to, at least it he wants the defuckulating to work. Once you start making claims like "rescind this loan because it wasn't me who took it out," the bank is going to demand a police report or similar, to establish that it in fact was not him who took it out.

Yeah, his mom very clearly had no problem throwing him under the bus when she opened the accounts, he needs to either find a spine or just get "Welcome" tattooed across his back for all future dealings with her.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I have a bit of a twist. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

I'm dealing with a service that I cancelled months ago, but that continues to charge me. They literally tell me yes it's cancelled you're good don't pay, and then the charges reappear. I have repeatedly cancelled, and can prove as much with recorded calls and certified mail.

They're now threatening to send it to collections.

Ideally the company ceases to be incompetent but given they have told me explicitly this is taken care of only for nothing to change, I'm not holding my breath.

So I'm trying to figure out what to expect and what I might do next.

IF this went to collections, and given I can prove I shouldn't owe this, I'm imagining things go through the whole process leading to me showing up in court before a judge who finally heard the recording and tells them to piss off. I'd be following thread rules in terms of getting in writing, communication timelines, etc. The debt collector can then take it up with the service provider if they don't like that they were sold a fake debt.

If I wanted to then get reimbursed for my time and expenses in dealing with this, if any, I'd probably have to do small claims against them separately?

Is there anything I can do to get ahead of this? Would a lawyer be able to help? Maybe just a sternly worded letter? What kind? The case seems small and my googling seems to show mostly lawyers for hunting debts down. Im also unsure if they can help since I've yet to be damaged in any way... But I will be if there's a ding on my credit score when I go for mortgage renewal 😕.

Im in touch with the appropriate government consumer agencies but they are excruciatingly slow to help.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Have you told your bank / credit card to reject the charges as unauthorized or fraudulent in the future? I don't know Canadian law but that would be my first step.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

So I woke this morning to a notification of a new item on my credit history. There was a $4,000 debt collection charge from my former property management company I lived at before subleasing to an old coworker. I called them up and they said the guy I subleased it to abandoned the property and left damages and unpaid rent I was responsible for. They had never tried to call me but they had emailed me at an old email address I don't use anymore. The debt collection company had only tried to email me too. I did check the old sublease and it said I would be responsible for any unpaid debt/damages for the duration of the sublease. I'm upset they never called me because I know they both have my phone number and I would have addressed it sooner. Anyway, my credit rating dropped over 100 points and I'm pretty shocked and not sure how to deal with this. I haven't contacted the debt collection agency as I've never had an unpaid debt before and this is all new to me.

edit: I guess the debt collectors dinged my score back in May and I'm just now finding out because of an email I got from Experian. I found the old emails the debt collectors sent me and they're using an address that I haven't lived in since 2017 so I guess that's why I never got any letters from them?

Death By Yogurt fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 8, 2023

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Is the info in the OP still valid? I had a big gas bill from my last place of residence that i had been putting off paying and welp looks like I got a “dunning letter” or whatever

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Due to a refund dispute, I owe eBay £70 in fees. This is bullshit and a mishandling on their part so I just walked away and ignored this.

I've now had an email from DRS in the UK chasing this up. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? I imagine this would be the kind of debt described in this thread that is more trouble than it's worth but my knee-jerk reaction was to pay it. What should I do?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Do you want to use eBay ever again? I've heard they don't really mess around and could just ban you for life.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Do you want to use eBay ever again? I've heard they don't really mess around and could just ban you for life.

Honestly I don't, I can easily use someone else's account if needed. The whole thing has hacked me off enough to want to steer clear.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Not that it’s UK relevant, but didn’t we have a ruling or law passed in the USA that said the fdcpa only applies to first-party collectors and that third party collectors could still be shitheads? I could’ve sworn I saw something a few years ago that basically invalidated this thread for US goons.

E: Perez v. McCreary, Veselka, Bragg & Allen, P.C., --- F.4th ---, No. 21-50958, 2022 WL 3355249, at *1 (5th Cir. Aug. 15, 2022)

5th Circuit ruled that, in accordance with SCOTUS TransUnion ruling, you have to have damage in fact and not damage via statutory violation to make a claim. Basically, a debt collector breaking the law doesn’t matter unless it causes harm to you in a measurable way. I had the context a little screwed up unless there was another I’m remembering too. 2022 feels too recent to be what I’m remembering.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 21, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Washington state if it matters. I'm suing my landlord over a deposit, I've informed them I'm suing them, I've filed the suit, and I'm just waiting for a court date before I serve them. They sold my debt to a debt collector, I'm guessing I can't sue under the FDCPA?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If they sold the debt after being sued over it that may be illegal? But that's a question for your lawyer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

If they sold the debt after being sued over it that may be illegal? But that's a question for your lawyer.

I do not have a lawyer, it's a small claims case.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

I do not have a lawyer, it's a small claims case.

Big Taint posted:

If they sold the debt after being sued over it that may be illegal? But that's a question for your a lawyer.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I would expect someone suing a landlord over a deposit to be owed money by the landlord, not owe money to the landlord. Can you clarify the facts of your case?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

I would expect someone suing a landlord over a deposit to be owed money by the landlord, not owe money to the landlord. Can you clarify the facts of your case?
They kept my deposit and are asking for another $365 on top of that. My claim is that they have improperly kept my deposit, and statutorily owe me double damages on parts of it.

Lawyers in my area cost $300ish/hr, so hiring one for such a small amount is not economical. Even at the $1000 for an FDCPA violation, it doesn't seem economical.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I am not a lawyer, but I did deal with debt collectors a good long time now in my past.

If you are organized enough to be going to small claims court on your own, there are things you should be doing to increase your chance of collecting on violations. A lot of it is going to be following proper processes for demanding debt collectors validate the debt. Document every interaction you have with debt collectors and credit bureaus when you dispute with bureaus. Demand all communication be in writing. Send everything you send certified return receipt requested so you can prove dates things were sent and received.

You'll have to research the law to know what are actually violations, and once you have two or three documented violations, you should be able to get a lawyer on spec.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

You may be able to get advice from a lawyer without retaining one. Many offer free consultations. Doing what SubRosa said above will make a clearer picture for any attorney you talk to (and possibly retain)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i am being called by a debt collector

this fact confuses me because i have never missed a payment on any debt in my entire life, immediately set any bills or other utilities i have to autopay, and my only existing debt currently is a car payment and one credit card balance. because of this, i found the idea of being called by a debt collector so confusing that when they said they were a debt collector i just hung up as i assumed it was a scammer. i googled afterward and it seems this place actually exists.

how do i handle this if they call again? i've been googling around and saw some of the law around it but i'm not really sure how to handle the first phone call to get to the point where i get them to validate the debt, because, again, i can't even imagine what the debt could possibly be.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Southern Cassowary posted:

i am being called by a debt collector

this fact confuses me because i have never missed a payment on any debt in my entire life, immediately set any bills or other utilities i have to autopay, and my only existing debt currently is a car payment and one credit card balance. because of this, i found the idea of being called by a debt collector so confusing that when they said they were a debt collector i just hung up as i assumed it was a scammer. i googled afterward and it seems this place actually exists.

how do i handle this if they call again? i've been googling around and saw some of the law around it but i'm not really sure how to handle the first phone call to get to the point where i get them to validate the debt, because, again, i can't even imagine what the debt could possibly be.

If you haven't done it lately, run your credit reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com. Do not use a different site, run it from there, make sure you're not seeing anything that shouldn't be there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It may not be yours, I get a ton of collection letters for some shitfucker who gave my address out for a while.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Midjack posted:

It may not be yours, I get a ton of collection letters for some shitfucker who gave my address out for a while.

they did use my name

Ham Equity posted:

If you haven't done it lately, run your credit reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com. Do not use a different site, run it from there, make sure you're not seeing anything that shouldn't be there.

checked here after i got the call, everything is as expected - no collections, weird inquiries, or unexpected accounts out of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

You can also get an annual report from ChexSystems to see if someone opened a bank account with your info.