Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
these drops would be a waste of gacha funds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Antigravitas posted:

A bunch of them.

If you are on Twitter or Fox News, you are less informed than someone who is not following anything. The news from normal outlets (Le Monde, Süddeutsche, etc.) has been fairly accurate and reasonable.

Also, obviously Ukraine's internal politics hasn't just stopped.

It's probably possible to get into a sphere of reasonably factual information on twitter. It's definitely not the default state, which is why I'm ok with the people in this thread who go mining for it on our behalf.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1732138824006799785

quote:

This seems to be the reason why Zelenskiy decided to (was advised to) cancel his appearance.

Content: Mitch McConnell talking about how he'd really love to help Ukraine, honest, totally, seriously, but borders are just so important, y'know?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Content: Mitch McConnell talking about how he'd really love to help Ukraine, honest, totally, seriously, but borders are just so important, y'know?

This is the exact same song Tuberville is singing, they've just changed the lyrics to be about siege mentality instead of gay panic. The end result is still an erosion of US readiness and and foreign policy capability.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Computer viking posted:

It's probably possible to get into a sphere of reasonably factual information on twitter. It's definitely not the default state, which is why I'm ok with the people in this thread who go mining for it on our behalf.

The first big WaPo article was probably not entirely wrong about DoD providing at least one high risk high reward battle plan that Ukraine rejected in favor of a less risky approach.

But framing that as a schism or that the DoD didn’t also have other options they presented or any of the other subtext from that article was way overboard. Like it simultaneously presented the DoD planners as overconfident and impractical and the Ukrainians as tentative and lethargic but applauds the Russians for their skill and talent and determination on the defense.

It’s a pretty selective view considering that what was two years ago one of the premier militaries on the planet just threw away about two brigades of equipment and soldiers for minimal gain

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PurpleXVI posted:

What a hill to die on. I don't know what assumptions they're making about voters, but to younger ears, it's a bad look to equivocate those 3 conflicts

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1732421931327197471

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1732413824219918731

quote:

It is reported on Russian and Ukrainian channels that a famous traitor, ex-Rada deputy Ilya Kiva was found dead in Moscow. Kiva ran from Ukraine on the eve of the full-scale invasion. He attended many talk shows on Russian TV recently where he slandered Ukraine.

Content: A Ukrainian MP campaigned on a pro-Russian platform, got stripped of his position as MP due to supporting the Russian invasion of Ukraine, ran away to Russia to beg Putin for citizenship, mysteriously turned up very dead at his new address in Moscow and rumours are that the SBU did it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/25121

quote:

Possible Patriot Intercept of Supersonic Russian Su-24 Bomber, Aircrew Did Not Survive

Ukraine doesn’t have that many weapons that can score this kind of kill, and there are signs Kyiv plopped a modern anti-aircraft missile battery somewhere the Russian air force wasn’t expecting.

Social media is reporting this as a major score, so I'll leave it up to the more knowledgeable folks to decide. Is it a very big deal that they've blown up an Su-24 specifically, or is it more noteworthy that it got blown up somewhere unexpected and thus might force Russia to be more careful with their jets?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Social media is reporting this as a major score, so I'll leave it up to the more knowledgeable folks to decide. Is it a very big deal that they've blown up an Su-24 specifically, or is it more noteworthy that it got blown up somewhere unexpected and thus might force Russia to be more careful with their jets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gne7beWy8fU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Supposedly near Snake Island, which makes me wonder WTF it was doing there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I guess the latter. A SU-24 loss isn’t a big deal. They’re tactical strike workhorses and have been used (and sometimes lost both in the air and on the ground) in Syria, Ukraine, etc.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Supposedly near Snake Island, which makes me wonder WTF it was doing there.

En route to release glide bombs towards targets in the Odessa region would be my guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's a deep cut

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

A single airframe loss probably isn’t too bad, but it’s a rude surprise for AD to pop up and potentially block off an attack route. Even if the Ukrainians move it back away, the Russians still have to account for the possibility of air defense launching at planes that used to have a safe attack corridor.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

It would be a much bigger deal if Ukraine lost a Su-24 due to the limited number of them they have left and they are responsible for launching SCALPs and Stormshadows.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1732468777067917767

quote:

The US announced another $175 million military aid package for Ukraine, as reported by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

The new package includes:

• Air defense equipment
• Additional ammunition for HIMARS systems
• Artillery ammunition
• High-speed anti-radiation and anti-tank missiles
• Ammunition for small arms
• Explosive ammunition for clearing obstacles
• Spare parts and auxiliary equipment.

Well, with all the doomering, it's good to know there's still SOME stuff going to Ukraine. The Republicans haven't managed to completely turn off the tap yet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
175 million feels smaller than Ukraine needs.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Finland's defence minister just announced Finland will start sending some artillery ammo to Ukraine, which will help a bit I guess. However, even though Finnish 155 mm production is kinda high for that size country, it's not gonna be enough by itself for sure. I was trying to find out some actual numbers but I'm not sure if Finland is publishing any (didn't before)

Really need the other big EU countries to finally step up with the artillery ammo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1732468777067917767

Well, with all the doomering, it's good to know there's still SOME stuff going to Ukraine. The Republicans haven't managed to completely turn off the tap yet.

There is still around $4 bn in PDA funds left, but what the US is willing to part with via that money is constrained by stocks as well funding to replace them.

About 60% of what is referred to as “Ukraine” spending has gone to the US defense base and US operations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

jaete posted:

Finland's defence minister just announced Finland will start sending some artillery ammo to Ukraine, which will help a bit I guess. However, even though Finnish 155 mm production is kinda high for that size country, it's not gonna be enough by itself for sure. I was trying to find out some actual numbers but I'm not sure if Finland is publishing any (didn't before)

Strong “fight them there so we don’t have to fight them here “ energy.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Britain and Norway are launching a new coalition for support for Ukraine on Monday, say the Norwegian defence ministry - https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuelt/lansering-av-en-britisk-norsk-ledet-koalisjon-for-stotte-til-ukraina/id3017337/ - so hopefully there will be some more movement on the artillery and other European supplies coming.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

175 million feels smaller than Ukraine needs.

Yeah, what was attempted but blocked by Republicans was 61 billion, for comparison.

Source, of course: https://www.kyivpost.com/post/25169

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I hope there is some way we can circumvent the whigs to get funding to Ukraine

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67647379

Russian govt has been encouraging migrants to come to Russia in order to cross into the EU, not new news. What is newer, in terms of numbers of cases, is that when they are unable to do so and their short-term visas expire, Russian officials are trying to coerce them into signing army contracts through threats of deportation back to their home countries.

BBC News posted:

The BBC has seen evidence of several cases in which foreigners were rushed into a military camp on the border with Ukraine, days after they were picked up for breaching immigration laws.

The practice of coercing people in pre-deportation detention centres to sign contracts for army service in Ukraine is not new, but the numbers swelled as foreign migrants arrived at Russia's 1,340-km (833-mile) border with Finland.

quote:

Among those appearing in court in Karelia was a Somali man in his 40s, who was arrested in mid-November, sentenced to a fine of 2,000 roubles (£17; €20) and detained pending deportation - a standard procedure for anyone without an appropriate visa.

Awad and at least a dozen other inmates held in the pre-deportation centre in Petrozavodsk, Karelia's capital, were approached by military representatives soon after their arrest and were offered "a job for the state". They were promised good pay, medical care and permission to stay in Russia on completing a one-year army contract.

Awad is not his real name, but the BBC has confirmed his identity.

He had arrived in Russia in mid-July and went to neighbouring Belarus, trying for months to enter Poland. By early November, he said internet chat groups popular with asylum seekers were abuzz with news that the Russian border with Finland had become more accessible.

quote:

Awad told the BBC that he hired a taxi on 14 November and, along with another Somali migrant, was driven for several hours from St Petersburg to Lakhdenpokhya, a town in Karelia 30km from the Finnish border.
His case was typical. His month-long visa had run out in August and when the taxi was stopped by police for a check, he was arrested. Awad and a dozen other people were sentenced the next day and moved to the detention centre.

quote:

The documents offering a job which were presented by officials to the Somali and others were in Russian, which none of the group could understand. He and others assumed they would be given army-related work inside Russia, he said.

"We were not given the contract documents and [they] were not even shown properly. We asked [what the jobs will be] but they told us that it is simple and good," he told the BBC.

Fearing deportation to Somalia, where he said his life had been threatened several times by al-Shabab militants, he signed the offer, along with five other Somalis, five men from Arab countries and a Cuban national. They were put on a bus and were driven south.

quote:

Awad told BBC that his bus journey ended at the border with Ukraine, in a muddy military camp made of large tents.

That was when his group realised they were being sent to fight, he said: "We were told a contract year with training and options with good pay and care, but no Ukrainian borders and war. Everything we were told was a lie."

The BBC has again approached the Russian interior ministry for comment on allegations that foreign detainees are being offered army contracts in exchange for their release.

The foreigners at that point demanded that their contracts were annulled. Awad said officials at the camp threatened them with long prison sentences for breaching military laws, but later retreated, saying that the job offers would be cancelled and deportation procedures would resume.

Four men in the group had received letters confirming that, he said. The BBC has not seen those letters.

For now, they remain in the military camp. Awad said he had been told a "video session with a court" would be conducted soon, but was unable to provide details on what the hearing would be about.

He is adamant he has been duped into signing up to the Russian army, although his only defence is that he did not fully understand the offer made to him.

"I said no, because I don't know what I signed and it is not written in my language," he said. "I am an asylum seeker, not a soldier."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Icon Of Sin posted:

A single airframe loss probably isn’t too bad, but it’s a rude surprise for AD to pop up and potentially block off an attack route. Even if the Ukrainians move it back away, the Russians still have to account for the possibility of air defense launching at planes that used to have a safe attack corridor.

I think the Russians knew there a Patriot battery near Odessa, not that strikes on infrastructure for grain export have stopped. What may have been news is that it can, and will, hit an aircraft where that one was.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-warns-us-that-ukraine-will-be-its-second-vietnam-war/

quote:

The Kremlin’s spy chief Sergei Naryshkin warned the U.S. that Ukraine will turn into its “second Vietnam,” amid disagreement in Congress over funding for Kyiv.

“Ukraine will turn into a ‘black hole’ absorbing more and more resources and people,” Russian foreign intelligence chief Naryshkin said Thursday in a written statement published by his agency’s house journal, the Intelligence Operative.

...Russian language has irony as a concept, yes?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

...Russian language has irony as a concept, yes?

And plenty of historical experience with this kind of war.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Definite articles, not so much, irony? Lots and lots.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/12/07/japan-to-provide-4-5-billion-to-ukraine/

Russia learning what Japan is capable of on December 7th

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Does Japan use NATO standards for its military? Like could it produce, without having to perform a major overhaul of its factories, artillery shells, tank ammo, small arms ammo, etc. that is compatible with the weaponry donated to Ukraine? I would take it South Korea is in the same situation?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MH Knights posted:

Does Japan use NATO standards for its military? Like could it produce, without having to perform a major overhaul of its factories, artillery shells, tank ammo, small arms ammo, etc. that is compatible with the weaponry donated to Ukraine? I would take it South Korea is in the same situation?

I believe they work closely with the US, so I expect them to be mostly compatible?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Seeing as how Poland is buying S.K. tanks as the backbone of their armored forces, and the US is buying SK 155mm howitzer artillery to backfill stores sent to Ukraine, I would have thought that was a foregone conclusion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MH Knights posted:

Yeah most if not all Japanese and South Korean equipment uses NATO standards since they're so intertwined with the US military and, if push came to shove, each other. I know their small arms ammunition is all the same as the US uses so they can share supplies.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Korea has to keep their native industry churning and they're generally not facing much equipment attrition domestically, so they gotta make what other people will buy

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

What's the spread we see this on the front lines?

Unlike the T-14, it seems to be capable of reliably moving under its own power

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Western cultural imperialism erasing indigenous patterns of arms and munitions manufacture :mad:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Catatron Prime posted:

What's the spread we see this on the front lines?

Unlike the T-14, it seems to be capable of reliably moving under its own power

Over/under 2.5 gundams

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Western cultural imperialism erasing indigenous patterns of arms and munitions manufacture :mad:

In year 2039 the Ukrainian forces break the sixteen year stalemate with the introduction of gundams to the front line.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
07 DEC Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment: isw.pub/UkrWar120723

Key Takeaways ⬇️

1/ Russian forces may be suffering losses along the entire front in Ukraine at a rate close to the rate at which Russia is currently generating new forces.

2/ High Russian casualties will likely prevent Russian forces from fully replenishing and reconstituting existing units in Ukraine and forming new operational and strategic reserves if Russian force generation efforts continue at current rates while the Russian military continues operations.

3/ Russia does appear able to continue absorbing such losses and making them good with new recruits, however, as long as President Vladimir Putin is willing and able to absorb the domestic consequences. isw.pub/UkrWar120723

https://bsky.app/profile/thestudyofwar.bsky.social/post/3kfytze2mk72a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
So far he's been able to absorb even a coup against him. I'm not sure if waiting for Putin to lose internally is on any sort of timetable that favors ukraine. "Aaaaany day now, russians are going to get sick of his poo poo and...do something. I guess"