Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mescal posted:

lol
Well there are kind of different standards. There are a lot of games that are good, like a 7/10 game. Those come out constantly. But how many games that aren't a 9 or a 10 are worth your time? The difference between a good enough game and a good game is enormous. Compare Dark Souls III to Dark Souls. That's a lightning bug and a lightning bolt.

Yeah but that’s only because dark souls 1 is an unfinished game, a harsh comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If Dark Souls 1 is good enough but Dark Souls 3 is good, I will take good enough every single time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
they announced a new jet set radio RIGHT after bomb rush cyberfunk released huh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JET
SET
RADIOOOO!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Genuinely wild announcement lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want to say that if you're making a dinosaur game in a TYOOL 2023 and don't have scientifically accurate fat and feathered dinosaurs then you're a COWARD!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
New Streets of Rage? New Golden Axe????? HELL YEAH

------------------------

Anyone got any opinions on Pocket Bravery? Seems fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

I just want to say that if you're making a dinosaur game in a TYOOL 2023 and don't have scientifically accurate fat and feathered dinosaurs then you're a COWARD!

if you're making a jurassic park game you get a pass because they covered that issue in the original book and movie

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the kid at the beginning of jurassic park was 100% right. they were big ol, goofy rear end turkeys

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Velociraptors were the size of dogs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Street fighter 6 is on sale. I'm not usually a fighter guy*, but I played the hell out of SF 2 when I was a kid, and 6 has positive reviews across the board. Worth grabbing on sale?

*Except for the best fighter ever made, One Finger Death Punch

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Street fighter 6 is on sale. I'm not usually a fighter guy*, but I played the hell out of SF 2 when I was a kid, and 6 has positive reviews across the board. Worth grabbing on sale?

*Except for the best fighter ever made, One Finger Death Punch

There is a decent 20-ish hour single player mode and multiplayer has easy control mode for brand new players and there are so many active players still that you'll easily be able to matchmake with other newbies.
It's easily the most feature complete game in the genre right now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The single player world tour mode owns and was a lot of fun - and they've even been adding the DLC characters to it for free. On that note, the monetisation is loving everywhere in multiplayer but it's also imo the best Street Fighter in decades.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

if you're making a jurassic park game you get a pass because they covered that issue in the original book and movie

Sorta as I recall in the movie they suggest the dna manipulation was minor with only the life finds a way being the drift while in the book they discuss extensive intentional modifications for park profitability. Like how the dinosaurs moved too fast and looked wrong to what we expect so they were editing them to be slower.

I was never a big Crichton (and yes I know he went crazy later) but as I recall the book from 20+ years ago it was pretty great. There's no sappy gentle capitalist as everyone behind the park sucks and the paleontologist doesn't weirdly hate children because as he says they are natural dinosaur fans.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't have the energy in me to do a big post, but I'll mention a couple of things unmentioned so far:

- Monster Hunter Wilds announced for 2025
- The Finals shadowdropped and out now
- FF16 DLC announced and out now
- Black Myth Wukong has a date now: August 20th 2024
- New game by No Man's Sky studios & Sean Murray: Light No Fire. Rather than shoot for the moon with a universe of planets, Light No Fire focuses on a single dense planet. No date.
- Palia will be on Nintendo Switch, and out very soon
- Gundam-like game called Mechabreak announced
- Last Sentinel announced, new game by a new studio helmed by Steven C Martin (formerly of Firaxis)
- Arkane Lyon developing a Blade game, no date
- Don't Nod has a new cinematic story game in the vein of Life is Strange and IT, called Lost Records: Bloom & Rage, coming late 2024
- Tales of Kenzera: ZAU is a 2.5D action platformer that looks poised to eat Prince of Persia 2024's lunch, coming April 2024
- Warframe's new update is literally Dark Sector 2
- Rise of the Ronin, a new Nioh-style game from Team Ninja, coming March 22nd
- new Mana game announced by Square-Enix: Visions of Mana, coming in 2024
- Moon (Ori) working on action RPG called No Rest For The Wicked, coming March 2024
- World of Goo 2 announced
- Pony Island 2 announced
- Metaphor Re:Fantazio coming Fall 2024
- Thrasher, a VR game by the developer of Thumper, coming in 2024
- Netflix Games announced a new narrative game by The Odd Gentlemen (King's Quest) called Harmonium: The Musical, a musical starring a deaf protagonist
- Hideo Kojima's new horror game and likely follow-up to PT is called "OD" and is a collaboration with Jordan Peele (Get Out, Nope)
- Supermassive working on a single-player story spinoff of Dead by Daylight called The Casting of Frank Stone
- Motiontwin (Dead Cells) announced a new co-op ARPG called Windblown, coming to early access in early 2024
- Brothers: Tale of Two Sons getting a remake for some reason

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 8, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Anno posted:

Genuinely wild announcement lol

Let's go Skies of Arcadia, c'mon Skies of Arcadia. :pray:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The FF16 DLC isn't free I'm pretty sure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

The FF16 DLC isn't free I'm pretty sure.
thanks, corrected

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you gotta be kidding me team ninja can't release their new game 1 day apart from dragon's dogma!!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, I am trying to play it again (again). Dumb question: Is there a penalty for taking stuff from houses? I know there is an affinity system, though from what I heard it is minor all things considered.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Steam links that exist for all the relevant new content/announcements today:
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Remake
Pony Island 2: Panda Circus
The Rise of the Golden Idol
Usual June
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
Windblown
Thrasher
Persona 3: Reload
Dave the Diver (Dredge collaboration content)
Big Walk
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
No Rest for the Wicked
Dragon Ball: Sparking! ZERO
The Casting of Frank Stone
The Outlast Trials
Black Myth: Wukong
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
Warframe (Whisper in the Walls, the featured update, is out December 13)
Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
Ready or Not
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU
Lost Records: Bloom & Rage
The First Berserker: Khazan
Apex Legends (FF7 crossover content coming)
The First Descendant
Mecha BREAK
Helldivers 2
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2
GTFO (The Final Chapter is the, well, final major content update)
Den of Wolves
Exoborne
Palia
Light No Fire
Stormgate
Guilty Gear -Strive- (Elphelt Valentine, latest DLC character, out now)
The Finals
Bellwright

Hogama fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 8, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The screenshot manager window's been ridiculously unstable since the major upgrade to it for me. It freezes, restarts or just lags like crazy before shutting down or restarting completely fine. is there anything I can do about this?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, I am trying to play it again (again). Dumb question: Is there a penalty for taking stuff from houses? I know there is an affinity system, though from what I heard it is minor all things considered.

i think affinity only matters for merchants (high affinity means they stock rarer stuff and maybe they lower prices? can't remember) and for one extremely important interaction in the game.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

That Jurassic Park game looks like it might be the "HOW HAS NOBODY DONE THIS YET?!" answer to Alien Isolation for that IP.

See also; please do a Terminator one.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Don't have the energy in me to do a big post, but I'll mention a couple of things unmentioned so far:

- Monster Hunter Wilds announced for 2025
- The Finals shadowdropped and out now
- FF16 DLC announced and out now
- Black Myth Wukong has a date now: August 20th 2024
- New game by No Man's Sky studios & Sean Murray: Light No Fire. Rather than shoot for the moon with a universe of planets, Light No Fire focuses on a single dense planet. No date.
- Palia will be on Nintendo Switch, and out very soon
- Gundam-like game called Mechabreak announced
- Last Sentinel announced, new game by a new studio helmed by Steven C Martin (formerly of Firaxis)
- Arkane Lyon developing a Blade game, no date
- Don't Nod has a new cinematic story game in the vein of Life is Strange and IT, called Lost Records: Bloom & Rage, coming late 2024
- Tales of Kenzera: ZAU is a 2.5D action platformer that looks poised to eat Prince of Persia 2024's lunch, coming April 2024
- Warframe's new update is literally Dark Sector 2
- Rise of the Ronin, a new Nioh-style game from Team Ninja, coming March 22nd
- new Mana game announced by Square-Enix: Visions of Mana, coming in 2024
- Moon (Ori) working on action RPG called No Rest For The Wicked, coming March 2024
- World of Goo 2 announced
- Pony Island 2 announced
- Metaphor Re:Fantazio coming Fall 2024
- Thrasher, a VR game by the developer of Thumper, coming in 2024
- Netflix Games announced a new narrative game by The Odd Gentlemen (King's Quest) called Harmonium: The Musical, a musical starring a deaf protagonist
- Hideo Kojima's new horror game and likely follow-up to PT is called "OD" and is a collaboration with Jordan Peele (Get Out, Nope)
- Supermassive working on a single-player story spinoff of Dead by Daylight called The Casting of Frank Stone
- Motiontwin (Dead Cells) announced a new co-op ARPG called Windblown, coming to early access in early 2024
- Brothers: Tale of Two Sons getting a remake for some reason

- Silksong: Bapanada

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Getting belatedly back to Control, the payoff dialogue at the end of the game where Jesse remembers the name of the movie she was thinking of at the start was such a wonderfully stupid and perfect moment :discourse:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bumhead posted:

That Jurassic Park game looks like it might be the "HOW HAS NOBODY DONE THIS YET?!" answer to Alien Isolation for that IP.

See also; please do a Terminator one.

Did you ever play that Terminator:Resistance game from a few years ago? It’s got some jank but it’s very enjoyable. It also absolutely nails the “It’s a terminator gently caress gently caress gently caress run” stuff- you get some tools you can fight them with but they’re always pretty difficult even later in the game when you have the stuff to be able to go relatively toe-to-toe with them.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Getting belatedly back to Control, the payoff dialogue at the end of the game where Jesse remembers the name of the movie she was thinking of at the start was such a wonderfully stupid and perfect moment :discourse:

Spoiler about the spoiler, you can find the poster from the movie hidden in the game.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Estel posted:

Spoiler about the spoiler, you can find the poster from the movie hidden in the game.

Jesse's one of my favorite protagonists and you could see how if it were slightly less well done she'd be one of those "well that just happened" but instead she's 100% into her new and vital role...Janitor's Assistant.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Things I thought amusing at the game awards:

- Everyone getting shood off quickly by very loud music
- Visionary/legendary/icon/etc Kojima turning up yet again
- Jordan Peele gushing over Kojima then Kojima saying something like "yeah we have a lot of other talented people on this, it's not just Peele btw"
- Weirdass Alan Wake 2 performance
- Bethesda running a "yeah congrats on the awards guys, Starfield was actually NOT poo poo i think you'll find" video ad

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1LMFGKPC_k

September 9th for Space Marine 2 is further away than I hoped.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thank you, I appreciate this list! drat, some good looking games coming out!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Volte posted:

If Dark Souls 1 is good enough but Dark Souls 3 is good, I will take good enough every single time.

Sorry I was saying Dark Souls is up there with Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil IV, while III is well below that mark.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did you ever play that Terminator:Resistance game from a few years ago? It’s got some jank but it’s very enjoyable. It also absolutely nails the “It’s a terminator gently caress gently caress gently caress run” stuff- you get some tools you can fight them with but they’re always pretty difficult even later in the game when you have the stuff to be able to go relatively toe-to-toe with them.

Yeah! I'd really love to see a take on the very specific stalker fear of Alien Isolation that comes with being stalked by a solitary Terminator. But as a Terminator game I thought Resistance rocked. It's just straight up one of my favourite games of recent years.

chird posted:

- Jordan Peele gushing over Kojima then Kojima saying something like "yeah we have a lot of other talented people on this, it's not just Peele btw"
- Bethesda running a "yeah congrats on the awards guys, Starfield was actually NOT poo poo i think you'll find" video ad

The first thing I saw of the Geoff Awards when I woke up this morning, before any trailers, was the Baldurs Gate 3 guy being told to "Please Wrap it Up" as he pays tribute to his dead colleague. I've not stopped laughing since.

Tonally Geoff got it spot on by hurrying up and silencing a load of game devs.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

chird posted:

"entertaining" being one of the best quotes they could muster for the Avatar trailer.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Bumhead posted:

The first thing I saw of the Geoff Awards when I woke up this morning, before any trailers, was the Baldurs Gate 3 guy being told to "Please Wrap it Up" as he pays tribute to his dead colleague. I've not stopped laughing since.

Tonally Geoff got it spot on by hurrying up and silencing a load of game devs.

Larian/Microsoft's big announcement, that BG3 was releasing on Xbox today, didn't make it in the awards, apparently coz they got told to wrap it up lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
McNugget-rear end taste, or McNugget rear end-taste?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1LMFGKPC_k

September 9th for Space Marine 2 is further away than I hoped.

Yeah, they'd announced it was delayed until late next year a little while ago. Good for them, I guess, they don't want a hot launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've been hoping that it's a similar situation with silksong, where team cherry's able to work with no deadlines and minimal oversight so they keep tinkering with it while waiting for a release window that isn't totally clogged with hot new titles

but if another year comes and goes with no word then it's probably vaporware