Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VG posted:

Are we really getting a Golden Axe 4, a Streets of Rage 5, a crazy Taxi 2, a Revenge of Shinobi 4?
Really?

Yup!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VHYLJR9pNg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm all about Jet Set Radio of course, but the Shinobi game actually looks super dope too with the hand drawn graphics?

E: also lmao
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1733131786291642627?s=20

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 8, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What on earth? I missed the whole awards show but that is wild. OK. Gotta keep my ignorance of trailers going because that is a lovely surprise.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also, apparently a few games won awards, but nobody really seemed to care.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who won Best Gamer?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Who won Best Gamer?

Faker

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hell yeah

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

The only thing I know about this aspect is that Spider-Man 2 got nominated for a bunch of awards and won none of them which is considered an upset despite the fact it was competing with Baldur's Gate 3, Resident Evil 4 Remake, a new Mario and Zelda, a good new Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, a numbered Final Fantasy, and apparently Alan Wake 2 being the return of the Messiah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

goatface posted:

Please Wrap It Up

https://twitter.com/javierabegazo/status/1732970191959761241?t=0FIT3WnNKz4aCJU936mO8g&s=19

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Game Awards is still mad that they let Christopher Judge talk for nearly 8 minutes last year

So they set the play-off timer to 30 seconds to troll him (admittedly this was pretty funny) but then forgot to raise it back to normal for everyone else

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VG posted:

Are we really getting a Golden Axe 4, a Streets of Rage 5, a crazy Taxi 2, a Revenge of Shinobi 4?
Really?

There’s gotta be a catch. Like, they’re phone games or require NFTs or are only available on the cloud through a new Sega+ service. There has to be a catch.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

VG posted:

Really?

Honestly I'm hyped.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Altered Beast when

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sorry but 3D Streets of Rage is a disgrace.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We've had a great modern iteration on the 2D SoR formula, I'm fine with them trying something different.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Streets of Rage VR

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jay Rust posted:

Who won Best Gamer?

You did! Congrats

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

VG posted:

Really?

I wanted to say that this would be Crazy Taxi 3, because 2 came out in 2001, but apparently there was also already a Crazy Taxi 3 in 2002 :confused:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depending on what you counted it would be like Golden Axe 5 or 6 too

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

goatface posted:

the game boreds

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lame Awards :twisted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

considering SOR4 was outsourced i feel like JGR, Golden Axe, etc, will be outsourced as well (much like Konami has done with games like Ghosts & Goblins). which could be fine if they choose the right studios

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

considering SOR4 was outsourced i feel like JGR, Golden Axe, etc, will be outsourced as well (much like Konami has done with games like Ghosts & Goblins). which could be fine if they choose the right studios
Good heavens man

Also that game was done internally as far as I can tell.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they meant Ghouls & Ghosts

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Redezga posted:

The only thing I know about this aspect is that Spider-Man 2 got nominated for a bunch of awards and won none of them which is considered an upset despite the fact it was competing with Baldur's Gate 3, Resident Evil 4 Remake, a new Mario and Zelda, a good new Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, a numbered Final Fantasy, and apparently Alan Wake 2 being the return of the Messiah.

AW2 came from the top rope with a folding chair, it was one of those titles like BG3 that turned out to be an absolute masterclass that overshadowed the safer, more conventional properties on display

games like TotK, spider-man 2, and wonder are all good games, but they're also more-or-less exactly what you were expecting to get. AW2 is the kind of game you rarely see where its artistic vision is singularly powerful and weird enough to grip your brain by the lapels and never let it go

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New FF16 DLC kicked rear end, absolute top tier boss fight. It moves like an Armored Core boss while blasting out a bazillion tons of magic bullshit, it rules.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm all about Jet Set Radio of course, but the Shinobi game actually looks super dope too with the hand drawn graphics?

E: also lmao
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1733131786291642627?s=20

lmao this was the one thing that killed the game for me, now to see if the rest of it is still good (probably wont be).

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I saw former bioware devs made some game but the name bioware has become so tainted to me I didn't even check out the trailer. Just gonna wait and see if it comes back up as really good or really bad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shard posted:

I saw former bioware devs made some game but the name bioware has become so tainted to me I didn't even check out the trailer. Just gonna wait and see if it comes back up as really good or really bad.

it looks like reheated mass effect leftovers with people in geometric armor fighting geometric space monsters in dull gray environments so that their very expensive UE5 particle effects can stand out better

i'm sure it's possible for them to make a good game but there's nothing more uninspiring than watching yet another trailer filled with this tired visual slop

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's called Exodus.

Vermain posted:

it looks like reheated mass effect leftovers with people in geometric armor fighting geometric space monsters in dull gray environments so that their very expensive UE5 particle effects can stand out better

i'm sure it's possible for them to make a good game but there's nothing more uninspiring than watching yet another trailer filled with this tired visual slop

I would have maybe preferred some more color, but I think this is a bit overly cynical.

I'm tentatively interested. I miss that kind of game.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCvugLI61I

for better or worse, Drew Karpyshyn is involved.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Lavatein posted:

I wanted to say that this would be Crazy Taxi 3, because 2 came out in 2001, but apparently there was also already a Crazy Taxi 3 in 2002 :confused:

The first Xbox was secretly a Dreamcast 2.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rinkles posted:

It's called Exodus.

I would have maybe preferred some more color, but I think this is a bit overly cynical.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCvugLI61I

for better or worse, Drew Karpyshyn is involved.

like I said, we'll loving see.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

i like big dumb sci-fi games as much as the next guy, but the boilerplate sci-fi style that halo popularized has worn thin for me after two decades of it appearing in everything

games like warframe, signalis, honkai star rail, and dead space all have genuinely unique visions of the speculative future that prove it's not impossible for video games to innovate in this regard (and i'd argue that video games are uniquely suited to this kind of aesthetic creativity), so it's always disappointing to see new properties sticking to the kind of visual style that feels straight out of concept art 101 courses over taking a risk in creating something novel

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
drat went from debating whether or not I wanted to do the main Cyberpunk quest or skip directly to Phantom Liberty to sinking 104 hours into it and seeing all the major endings.

Definitely worth the $10 I paid for it in 2021.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wizards of the Coast LLC?

Hmmm.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So apparently there is some drama from the awards between Chris Judge and the COD developers?

https://www.ign.com/articles/call-of-duty-devs-are-a-little-peeved-at-christopher-judges-dig-during-the-game-awards

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shard posted:

So apparently there is some drama from the awards between Chris Judge and the COD developers?

https://www.ign.com/articles/call-of-duty-devs-are-a-little-peeved-at-christopher-judges-dig-during-the-game-awards

Lol they're real mad

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao at the posts that are like "but but METRICS and ENGAGEMENT" as if those are the markers of a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The game that even die-hard COD fans are saying is bad and when given the opportunity to either discuss problems in development or just say nothing the director said "No this is exactly what we wanted the game to be"