Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClapeMoji
Nov 2, 2023
It's finally out. Time to become a sweat elemental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
this poo poo is so good it ain't even funny

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Where the gently caress is my suit outfit??? I crave my cowboy boots, hat, and suit look

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't had a chance to play yet but I've seen a few people say that reduced movement speed. Hopefully that's not true - it was definitely tricky to fight really good Lights who had a good grasp of their tools but if that was the catalyst I'd rather they have adjusted their health or damage

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Countblanc posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but I've seen a few people say that reduced movement speed. Hopefully that's not true - it was definitely tricky to fight really good Lights who had a good grasp of their tools but if that was the catalyst I'd rather they have adjusted their health or damage

Supposedly this is actually just a default FOV change. Should be able to adjust it back in the settings. I haven’t played yet, but read a few people saying it’s exactly the same as beta once you change that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Countblanc posted:

Its not true. People just got reset to a default FOV. I've put some hours into it and its just as fast as ever. Balance changes feel good though flamethrowers still suck rear end to play against.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just played a couple rounds making sure to adjust my FOV before starting and the movement felt exactly the same to me as it did in the beta. Granted I didn't spend tens of hours playing the open beta but the complaint seem overblown. Can't speak for the balance concerns because I only got a few rounds in. Heavy seems fun, it's awesome just kool-aid maning through a wall that someone you're fighting with is hiding behind and flattening them or catching them in the middle of a reload.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

unfortunately it looks like they caved and unlike the beta they put in overtuned RAA with input strengths that I measured stronger than apex PC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefinals/comments/18dtlff/aim_assist_changes/

it'll be fun playing against mnk players for a while i guess until you hit a wall of RAA players

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What's up with the mixed reviews on steam?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poe meater posted:

What's up with the mixed reviews on steam?

Riled up gamers convinced themselves that between the beta and now they nerfed the entire game and made everyone move slower and jump lower and etc etc. Devs have replied and they changed nothing about the movement but the default FOV was lowered by quite a lot which I guess makes it feel slower or something. I jacked mine up to 85 or so before I played and it feels exactly the same to me :shrug:

Lotta complaints about balance issues too but the game's been out for like a day so I assume these are beta players who are mad their favorite thing got changed.

Edit: Oh also I have seen a lot of complaints about the price of cosmetics but it seems like fairly industry standard prices at this point which is to say, it's exorbitant, but it's a free game and it's cosmetics so whatever.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 8, 2023

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
man battlepass xp is slooooow, no way i'm going to have time to grind that whole thing out every season

game is fun as hell though, it really strikes a good balance between competitive and casual, like even losing can be chaotic fun

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anything different from the beta? I'm just gonna finish up Tribes 3 before I become The Finals contestant #42069.

And as a reminder, if you're on comms, call your flashes and gasses.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Not sure what all the changes are but Medium’s AK still dominates. Seems like Light got some damage buffs. Speed feels the same to me

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
This got released out of nowhere, what the hell haha

Welp, there goes my night

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This poo poo is FUN when you have a halfway competent team.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Seeing a lot more teams missing players compared to the beta.

Also yeah the FOV thing is really funny, when I tried playing last night I was super confused while the game suddenly felt way more sluggish lmao.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I love that they chose to go with an art style that causes the Big Body models to look like dumpy office workers. It's a nice break from every other game's Space Marine Tough Guy archetype.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

Seeing a lot more teams missing players compared to the beta.

this is annoying yeah, i had like three matches in a row where i ended up on a team of two

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

apologies to my teammates for the next 50 matches, i need to grind damage with arena carriables

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

apologies to my teammates for the next 50 matches, i need to grind damage with arena carriables

The throwable canisters that explode slap for this. Otherwise flammables/gas containers thrown on the cashout also help.

I'm struggling way way more with the grenade challenge.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I will never engage with a battle pass

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Rip your drip

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

only win so far was when one of my teammates left at the beginning of the match and my other teammate was a sniper lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the 1887 is insane. got 15 kills the first time i used it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the 1887 is insane. got 15 kills the first time i used it

It's great, although I really suck at nailing the close range shots when everyone's jumping around indoors. Love that reload animation.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it feels like healing beam is mandatory, 2x+ healers is really strong, and I'm terrified to not run a healing beam lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ive been trying the turret for quick cash and it would be a lot more useful if it was ready instantly

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Jenny Agutter posted:

ive been trying the turret for quick cash and it would be a lot more useful if it was ready instantly

Turret seems weak to me. It just doesn't do much damage, and since it sits in a fixed position it can often be avoided.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ive been having good success with the turret. makes a great distraction and does enough damage to potentially tilt a fight in your favor

the start-up time is really slow, so you cant panic drop it, but it works well enough for its intended role imo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

remember turrets can be placed on walls/ceilings

I've seen a lot of players place defensive turrets looking face-on to a main choke, and it's a really bad idea b/c it turns the turret into a speedbump that is easily plinked down safely.

generally you want to place a turret against a wall or at a really shallow angle to a choke, so that when the turret takes contact from the enemy you can swing out and 2v1 w/ the turret while they are far from cover.

turrets are still probably pretty weak even if you do this, but at least you're maximizing it

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I find the turrets main value is to occupy attention so that you can then pop out and murder people. Even if all it does is empty someones magazine its valuable, but for that it needs to be placed on approaches, *not* on the objectives themselves. If they see you and the turret there they are just gonna shoot you. They need to see the turret first.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

my favorite weapon is flamethrower, if you get a half decent flank people just die instantly.

This has been my experience too. It absolutely melts HP and usually makes the enemy panic too lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

was messing with the akm in practice range for the ads recoil system

the game uses set spray patterns, and if you match the spray pattern the gun is a laser beam.

like apex, if you move the crosshair fast enough horizontally (or in circles), the horizontal and vertical recoil is completely removed. unlike apex, this system requires much faster movement to activate and only really applies if you are strafing the opposite direction to someone at <= 20m. making circles with your reticle is not viable.

the akm you want to pull down-right for 4 bullets, down-left for 7, down for 10, then right for the rest

while this type of recoil system can be fun, there are games like rust that moved away from the system because lots of low lives will script the recoil for a large advantage.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what's the point of keeping the round going if there's literally not enough time to take a cashbox before its current owners win

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think if someones actively stealing the cashbox it goes into over time? i think thats how it worked in beta anyway

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

i think if someones actively stealing the cashbox it goes into over time? i think thats how it worked in beta anyway

the way I've seen it in quick play, you just lose when it ticks over but maybe it's a bug, then?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Heavy with flamethrower and shield supported by medium with heal beam is just :dukedoge:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sledgehammer heavy is the best. i love surprising entire teams by chopping away one side of the building they're sitting on/in

get more kills with it than with a gun too because i get super panicky and can't aim right when i'm getting shot in pretty much any fps (:argh:)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This game is fun from a gunplay aspect but it does commit a cardinal sin for an objective based shooter where it takes a long time for an objective phase to be completed but full credit goes to whoever is holding the objective at that time. So if you have an objective that takes 3 minutes to fill then it's functionally 30 seconds of actual objective based combat and 2:30 of loving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

This game is fun from a gunplay aspect but it does commit a cardinal sin for an objective based shooter where it takes a long time for an objective phase to be completed but full credit goes to whoever is holding the objective at that time. So if you have an objective that takes 3 minutes to fill then it's functionally 30 seconds of actual objective based combat and 2:30 of loving around.

Yeah it has forever been a terribel design but people love to defend it.

I do agree that the cashout at the end should be worth a lot, but holding the cashout for 95% of the objective should be worth something