Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
It's too bad that MLB free agency isn't in June so that Shohei could announce he's going to the Dodgers instead of the Blue Jays on June 7th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Uhhhh yes??

Why would I not want the best player in baseball on my team being paid by the richest owners in MLB???

Cause now you're the angels jr, the curse was with him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

every version of this post I’ve seen a million times over the past few months, is stupid

Two TJs. So far.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

The rumor is the Jays offered him $600m so are you sure you wanted them to do what it takes to get him

Abso-loving-lutely yes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Portefeuille

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Would Shohei, the consummate gentleman, really burden his 100M+ Japanese fans with the added travel distance to Toronto? I think not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do I want the ghoulish billionaire who owns my favorite baseball team to pay the greatest player we’ll ever see in our lives, or do I want him to pocket more cash to give to fascist political projects?? Hrmmm real brain buster here I’m just not sure!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

Two TJs. So far.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

A huge part of paying him that much is selling tickets and marketing in Japan that doesn't have to be shared with the other owners.

He's absolutely worth 50 million a year even as just a DH.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Two TJs. So far.
Well thankfully he doesn’t seem interested in your team so you don’t have to worry about it

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

The rumor is the Jays offered him $600m so are you sure you wanted them to do what it takes to get him

Any rumors about the final number at this point are just that. It could be exactly $600M in the end and if I was a Jays fan:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There is no amount of money that isn't worth it to have literally Shohei Ohtani on your team

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

zoux posted:

One of the best players in baseball and spending a shitload of Rogers money? It’s like every Canadian’s early Christmas present.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress it, give 100% ownership of the team to Shohei

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He can throw the Ted Rogers statue in the lake

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/clarencefrazer/status/1733135087347110178

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Give him a Billion who gives a gently caress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure that will translate into a willingness to exceed the CBT in future years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I like how this is phrased as “near Rogers Center” which is just simply downtown Toronto

Tracking private jets, monitoring upscale restaurant reservations, we are really in deep now folks

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Rogers could spend a billion idgaf just sign the man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I like how this is phrased as “near Rogers Center” which is just simply downtown Toronto

Tracking private jets, monitoring upscale restaurant reservations, we are really in deep now folks

Deandre Jordan remains at large

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Going college football mode

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

AntiDepressor posted:

One of the best players in baseball and spending a shitload of Rogers money? It’s like every Canadian’s early Christmas present.

This 100%

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I want him to sign with Toronto and I want them to report the numbers in Canadian Dollars to make it sound even crazier.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Someone order a pizza to be delivered to Shohei at the restaurant

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

I'm frantically searching Zillow to see if any big real estate purchases have been made. Specifically, mansions with batting cages already built in.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Paper Tiger posted:

Someone order a pizza to be delivered to Shohei at the restaurant

Shohei last seen near a plate of fries. Sources say gravy and cheese curds were also spotted nearby.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tony Phillips posted:

I want him to sign with Toronto and I want them to report the numbers in Canadian Dollars to make it sound even crazier.

Maybe that's the game, sign with the Jays for $600M US so his agent can say with a straight face that he got a $1 billion contract

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

Do I want the ghoulish billionaire who owns my favorite baseball team to pay the greatest player we’ll ever see in our lives, or do I want him to pocket more cash to give to fascist political projects?? Hrmmm real brain buster here I’m just not sure!!

lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hopefully Ohtani is able to pitch soon to build on that career 27.00 ERA vs the Yanks.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

Going college football mode

Now I'm imagining Finebaum callers saying Shohei really wants to come to Tuscaloosa

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So that Canadian opera singer might not be the best source for scoops about baseball

https://twitter.com/carlocolaiacovo/status/1733148137580114335?s=61&t=iXT8VCj9Jrtrh-W4J1osdA

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow if it is true though it shows how chill Shohei is to charter a flight and go to dinner to let them know he's going to the Cubs

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

zoux posted:

Two TJs. So far.

Literally months ago the Jays had 36 year old Hyun-Jin Ryu come back off his 2nd TJ and pitch well. I think they're getting better with this surgery.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Shohei Ohtani ate a slice of deep dish confirmed

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/939209646807703552

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

:golfclap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Larry Cum Free posted:

Literally months ago the Jays had 36 year old Hyun-Jin Ryu come back off his 2nd TJ and pitch well. I think they're getting better with this surgery.

Him and Eovaldi. That's the list.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be funny if he signed with a new team 6 years to the day he first signed with the Angels

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Stop, you're gonna give mdemone a heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Him and Eovaldi. That's the list.
Look at this poster doubting Shohei Ohtani