Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I want a ship designer, a tank designer, a plane designer and a troop designer. Preferably a canal designer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

uniform designer. no mechanical function, no stat bonuses, you just play dress up with your dudes like a typical 19th century head of state

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Magissima posted:

It should also fix the issue of wooden ships surviving into the late game since they'll probably start being sunk pretty quickly once ironclads show up and there won't be much reason to rebuild them.

With discrete ships that can sink (and hopefully be traded too) I think the only major naval mechanic still missing will be fuel and naval bases/refueling stations that actually matter. Maybe someday we'll even get real gunboat diplomacy.

I think the trading part is key. Building new types of ships should require either shipyards with the correct level of production techs and size, or diplomacy options to have them built in the shipyards of a country with the tech and size to do it. And the building country should have the option to seize the ships instead of delivering them if say, they end up in a war.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wiz posted:

Ship Designer is not planned.

Now, fully walkable 3D ships with mannable turrets on the other hand...

:sickos:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Magissima posted:

I'm guessing/hoping it will be closer to EU4 where ships are discrete, named assets but are interchangeable within a class (except for maybe an experience stat). If your entire navy gets sunk you really should have to rebuild it from scratch rather than just waiting for manpower to regenerate, but you don't need a full blown ship designer to achieve that.

The downside is that no one fought naval battles in the dreadnaught age, because the risk of defeat far outweighed the potential value from a victory. I can see the AI suiciding its fleet into you and then being helpless for a decade as it rebuilds while you rule the waves.

I think what the naval game could use is a way to blockade sea nodes/HQs and a way to queue up standing orders for fleets. That way you could have a fleet-in-being strategy without it being too micro intensive.

e: also limited range for fleets, the need for naval bases in order to physically project power was a major reason for a lot of 19th-century diplomacy.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 7, 2023

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

uniform designer. no mechanical function, no stat bonuses, you just play dress up with your dudes like a typical 19th century head of state

Yes, please port over the CK3 barbershop thx

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Sea shanty DLC

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vengarr posted:

Sea shanty DLC

Calligraphic Scrimshaw newspapers.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
i look forward to the NAVAL WARFARE UPDATE.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they are making ship construction its own separate thing from crewing up with manpower, I hope this means we can just use the upgrade button all the way through the tech tree now. I know that it's apparently a deliberate design decision that you can't upgrade from ironclads to dreadnaughts and have to build them all from scratch but I don't see why that can't just be handled by using the existing upgrade button and just making it cost the same amount of resources/time as rebuilding from scratch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh lol I didn't realize that was a thing, thought it was bugged or I missed something

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There's a lot of flavour potential in these games and I want Paradox to do as much of it as possible. Dynamic special names for politicians, generals, companies, countries depending on government type and overlord, companies, parties - but I want more of this! There should be more party name templates! Buildings like Universities and Art Academies should have special names, maybe named in honor of some historical or game character! Named artists should build monuments or paint pictures based on events like Battle of Somewhere or The Great Dying Accident!

I am quite serious. I know fluff like that can be distracting and annoying, I don't like cultural renaming of provinces cause it makes it hard to find familiar places. But in non-fuctional places you have to get as much of it as possible. Like cities on the map do not matter, so rename them in the name of the revolution. Instead of Battle of Some Place call it General Name's Breakthrough, or Country Adjective Regrouping, or Popular General Nam's Shame depending on circumstances.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the future racism update is gonna be wild. Hoi 4 unit designer but it's for your own version of the Chinese exclusion act

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The racism designer sounds shockingly plausible lmao, the racism mechanics are still one of the weaker parts of the social simulation. Probably best to try and find some way to make the racism evolution semi-autonomous though, a literal racism designer would absolutely be poison when handed to the ickier parts of the PDX fanbase.

Also very excited to see ships turn into things that cost actual industry/time to construct instead of just taking a year to round up some fresh conscripts and magically you have a full navy again. Once you have to worry about that plus fuel and securing coaling stations, the naval gameplay should actually be up to spec for a game about industrial era imperialism. Hopefully by like ~2 years after launch that'll all be in, which is honestly a quick turnaround for PDX.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

ilitarist posted:

There's a lot of flavour potential in these games and I want Paradox to do as much of it as possible. Dynamic special names for politicians, generals, companies, countries depending on government type and overlord, companies, parties - but I want more of this! There should be more party name templates! Buildings like Universities and Art Academies should have special names, maybe named in honor of some historical or game character! Named artists should build monuments or paint pictures based on events like Battle of Somewhere or The Great Dying Accident!

I am quite serious. I know fluff like that can be distracting and annoying, I don't like cultural renaming of provinces cause it makes it hard to find familiar places. But in non-fuctional places you have to get as much of it as possible. Like cities on the map do not matter, so rename them in the name of the revolution. Instead of Battle of Some Place call it General Name's Breakthrough, or Country Adjective Regrouping, or Popular General Nam's Shame depending on circumstances.

I 100% agree and find it odd that so many city names are in the game files but never shown (there's a mod called Cities Skylines that shows them all and it adds very little visual clutter). Universities are a great place to start with named buildings and you could go further by naming them after relevant companies and cities so that instead of the Motor Industries in Michigan you have the Ford Detroit Motor Plant. There's essentially no limit to the flavor they could add but even a little bit more in areas that are totally samey at the moment would go a long way.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the forbidden calipers update...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Vengarr posted:

The downside is that no one fought naval battles in the dreadnaught age, because the risk of defeat far outweighed the potential value from a victory. I can see the AI suiciding its fleet into you and then being helpless for a decade as it rebuilds while you rule the waves.

I think what the naval game could use is a way to blockade sea nodes/HQs and a way to queue up standing orders for fleets. That way you could have a fleet-in-being strategy without it being too micro intensive.

e: also limited range for fleets, the need for naval bases in order to physically project power was a major reason for a lot of 19th-century diplomacy.

mod that allows for rule the waves 3 integration similarly to the ck3 mod that uses total war attila

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

The racism designer sounds shockingly plausible lmao, the racism mechanics are still one of the weaker parts of the social simulation. Probably best to try and find some way to make the racism evolution semi-autonomous though, a literal racism designer would absolutely be poison when handed to the ickier parts of the PDX fanbase.

Imo it's the perfect way to address the criticism of being able to outlaw racism. Have the acceptance laws just open up who you can have accepted, then you have to do work to actually have them not be discriminated against.

Ie you passed cultural exclusion so you now you can have afro-americans as accepted pops, but now you have to do the work to actually enforce those equal rights. Use a journal entry to track it and have events happen where you can push equality at the risk of pissing people off or compromise to slow down progress/piss off a different people

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Crazycryodude posted:

New in 1.6:

--added Clans to multiplayer

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Agean90 posted:

Imo it's the perfect way to address the criticism of being able to outlaw racism. Have the acceptance laws just open up who you can have accepted, then you have to do work to actually have them not be discriminated against.

Ie you passed cultural exclusion so you now you can have afro-americans as accepted pops, but now you have to do the work to actually enforce those equal rights. Use a journal entry to track it and have events happen where you can push equality at the risk of pissing people off or compromise to slow down progress/piss off a different people

I mean, in that specific case theres a JE that does exactly that. But in general yeah

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The racism designer also means that hopefully it's easier to make Dixie pops opressed

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Really discrimination needs to be linked into more mechanics; to the best of my knowledge discriminated pops only get paid less and are less likely to get qualifications, whereas it'd be good to see various laws and institutions have knock on effects on discriminated cultures. A high level police or home affairs institution should probably have a knock on negative effect on discriminated pops, and they should also find themselves excluded from access to public schooling, welfare, and health care. Right now you can run fairly exclusionary laws but avoid a lot of issues through social welfare programs.

It'd also be good to see minority political aims expresses outside of just the succession mechanic. It'd be a fudge to just lump every discriminated pop into a single new interest group, but at least then they're could be broader interaction with what factors might drive secessionist movements.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I remember being excited for IGs because it sounded like the perfect way to simulate the Irish home rule movement playing kingmaker in British politics, but sadly that's outside the scope of the current mechanics.

One of my favorite instances of minorities not really meshing with the IG system is how the Austrian landowners IG necessarily includes landowners of all ethnicities, so when they revolt against minority rights legislation it's the non-Austrian parts of the empire that valiantly rise up and secede. I guess it's the same thing as those weird American Civil Wars at release due to all landowners in the US getting lumped into the Southern Planters IG.

Crazycryodude posted:

Just roll it into the nationalism designer. Much easier pill to swallow.
- Find the ancient empire with the largest possible territorial extent you can claim as your exclusive ancestral homeland since time immemorial!
- Posthumously baptize historical figures and ancient peoples as champions of your national identity!
- Discover the magic of questionable archaeological and anthropological methodologies!
- Determine which cultures are totally proud members of your nationality even if they don't know it yet, and which cultures are icky foreigners who need to be vigorously separated from your communities! (Ignore the peasant nonsense about them "coexisting for generations" or something.)

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I remember being excited for IGs because it sounded like the perfect way to simulate the Irish home rule movement playing kingmaker in British politics, but sadly that's outside the scope of the current mechanics.

One of my favorite instances of minorities not really meshing with the IG system is how the Austrian landowners IG necessarily includes landowners of all ethnicities, so when they revolt against minority rights legislation it's the non-Austrian parts of the empire that valiantly rise up and secede. I guess it's the same thing as those weird American Civil Wars at release due to all landowners in the US getting lumped into the Southern Planters IG.

Similar to what you’re saying, I think they probably need a new system to actually model discrimination. IGs don’t really do it, and I don’t think can ever do it with the current setup, because the main factors connecting pops to IGs are profession and wealth. That can only really capture class even if discrimination does some things at the margins.

I think Imperator’s racism designer might be a good jumping off point for this. They added a decent amount of interaction with cultures and it was impactful in benefits and trade offs.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

seperatist/ethic IGs when honestly, would make incorporating discriminated states wholesale way more interesting if it also meant adding a giant spoiler bloc into your parliament

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Race is going to be downstream of class, though, as its "use" in society is in convincing a lower that it's middle. In say historical US sharecropping didn't mean that the Rural Folk acquired a preference for Multiculturalism, quite the opposite, it meant an all-hands effort to ensure that the Rural Folk would roll Ethnonationalist to enforce the distinction, and what black political power there was shifted as alternately Labor Unions, Intelligentsia, or Petit Bourgeois. Would not mind discriminated metropolitan pops getting a shadow one of those at all.

Honestly, I think a good start would just to be to give characters a soft "prefer citizenship laws that would personally benefit them" and weight new leader rolls for that list based on most radical cultures rather than dominant culture--there's at least elements of the second in live code.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm not sure IGs are the best way to handle it but otoh I also want to see Sinn Fein hijacking the English elections

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mandoric posted:

Race is going to be downstream of class, though, as its "use" in society is in convincing a lower that it's middle. In say historical US sharecropping didn't mean that the Rural Folk acquired a preference for Multiculturalism, quite the opposite, it meant an all-hands effort to ensure that the Rural Folk would roll Ethnonationalist to enforce the distinction, and what black political power there was shifted as alternately Labor Unions, Intelligentsia, or Petit Bourgeois. Would not mind discriminated metropolitan pops getting a shadow one of those at all.

Honestly, I think a good start would just to be to give characters a soft "prefer citizenship laws that would personally benefit them" and weight new leader rolls for that list based on most radical cultures rather than dominant culture--there's at least elements of the second in live code.

I really wish the odds of the next IG leader ideology were exposed to the user, and that political movements were exposed literally anywhere

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Man, controlling armies/navies feels really fiddly/granular now in a way that's not super fun, I find. The AI spamming navies everywhere, making you play whack a mole unless you make 20 10-ships strong navies that you have to place everywhere and micro, the armies having to be babysat to make sure they get to the proper front, discounting the many times you get a "no path" when there's clearly one (seeing as you can force them to reach the point by re-assigning HQ nearby), and then the same spamming problem also being a thing where you need multiple armies, that you then need to baby sit each general to make sure they're not overkilling themselves, but then sometimes you have armies that are full offense, some full defense, some a mix of both, and having to dig through that when the fronts shifts and you need to pause some offensive while the army recovers and then armies reassign all over the place is very painful.

I suppose for now it's better to play mid-sized nations with the current patch: avoid GP because war is a huge PIA to control, avoid tiny nations because barely can be done construction wise.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only things it is really missing is the ability to block enemy ships from passing through sea nodes (so you just need to blockade their ports instead of whack-a-mole) and armies automatically pulling back to recover instead of bleeding themselves white. The front system and the army system works fine imo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thinking about it, I would really like a map lens that displayed just how fully employed buildings are in a state. Would be great for scanning where to adopt new labor saver PMs since IMO the productivity prediction honestly is very off at times

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah it feels like armies shouldn't do offensive maneuvers if they're below 50% readiness or manpower, unless your general has reckless advance or the enemy is even lower than that to avoid stalemates.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah it feels like armies shouldn't do offensive maneuvers if they're below 50% readiness or manpower, unless your general has reckless advance or the enemy is even lower than that to avoid stalemates.

To be fair, if both armies are weak the front probably should stalemate and turn into bloody slog. That might not be fun gameplay of course.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Demiurge4 posted:

This could be added as another order between advance or defend, the AI micros it's armies anyway so any automation would help.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

How do you make fleets bigger in this patch? I've got five boats apparently queued for a while and they just... Don't spin up half the time? Like the naval bases build but either they don't recruit or somehow don't turn into ships.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It’s probably a hiring issue. Check your naval bases and see if they are hiring and if not, what’s stopping them. I’m guessing it might be a lack of qualifications.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have noticed a bug that shows up occasionally where barracks/naval bases will be fully staffed up but one or two units will be stuck as "under recruitment" forever. Otherwise naval recruitment is very slow even when working normally so it does take a while to get a fleet up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Debating firing this up again or waiting until the big sphere of influence DLC comes out. Haven’t touched the game since April. I’d really like to vassal my poorer neighbors then uplift them with my money cannons so they’re no longer subsistence farmers but (fine) art goblins instead.