Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for telling my fiancé’s mother why she can’t come on our honeymoon

Edit to add spacing

Yes, but have you considered that therapy animals can be expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Cowslips Warren posted:

Edit to add spacing

These "in-laws want to tag along on the honeymoon" stories always blow my mind.

Does an OP ever ask the MIL if her parents tagged along for her honeymoon? Or do Redditors ask that in the comments? I'd love to hear the responses.

Edit: like good on OP for this one being "we're going to gently caress 24/7" but that didn't work. Just ask MIL if she had her MIL along for her honeymoon and if not, then why?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 8, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At the very least the son is trying to go low contact but at this point I think you just want to go no contact.

AITA for not punishing my kid after he ruined another kid’s life?

quote:

Sorry for a long read. TLDR: my son outed a trans person to their unsupportive family.

We live in a triplex house with our extended family. One part belongs to me and my husband, the other belongs to his parents and the third one belongs to my SIL. Me and my husband have two boys, June 23 and Jay 17 (names are changed obv). My SIL has a daughter Evie who’s 18. The kids’ grandparents are in their late 70s.

Jay goes to class with Brianna, who’s also 17 and trans (MtF). They have an amicable relationship, while Evie is Brianna’s best friend. I hold nothing against Brianna as she’s a wonderful girl, but her parents are very strict, religious and unsupportive.

Last week me and my husband went on a business trip, leaving our part of the house for June to manage. June is very responsible and he works night shifts as he’s a night club manager. Important info: June is also chronically ill and it affects his life in multiple ways, if he’s having a flare up, he might be a little bit hostile. He’s usually a very calm, kind and gentle person, so you need to push really hard when he’s on his lowest to get a hostile response from him.

While me and my husband were away, Jay invited Evie and Brianna over. They were hanging out in the living room while June was chilling in his room upstairs getting ready for his shift that starts at 10PM.

The kids were being loud, and June didn’t feel well, so he asked them multiple times to be quiet. As he didn’t feel like going downstairs, he messaged Jay, Jay claimed that he didn’t see the messages.

At around 8PM when it was time for June to get ready for his shift the kids were still being loud. June was getting pissed and told them that they should get out by 9PM as he didn’t want to leave them unsupervised. Between 8 and 9PM June confronted them multiple times and they told him to go and chill at the grandparents’ section, he told them something like “are you f*cking evicting me or something?”.

Obviously, by 9PM they were still hanging out in the living room downstairs. It was time for June to go to work, and he was both annoyed and feeling physically unwell, so he called Brianna’s parents angrily asking them to come over and pick up their daughter. He knew that Brianna is trans, but he didn’t care about her family situation, or rather was too upset to care at the time.

The parents didn’t know that Brianna is trans, so they were puzzled. They asked June if he meant “Brian” and he said something like “whatever, for the sake of Pete come and get your offspring”. They obviously freaked out and came to pick Brianna, who was presenting as a female at the time.

Basically, they found out she’s trans, and they were very unhappy about it. They sent her to a conversion therapy facility and took away all the means of communication from her.

Evie was very upset with how June handled the situation and confronted him when he came home from work. June was even more tired as he had a full night shift and didn’t feel well and snapped at her saying that Brianna could be an attack helicopter for all he could care, what matters is that she was disruptive and loud and didn’t stop that behaviour even after being asked multiple times.

Jay also confronted me saying that it’s unfair that I punished him for racism when he was screaming the n-word in a voice chat when playing video games, but I didn’t punish June for being transphobic and ruining a trans kid life. I told him that it’s two completely different things and that he should be more considerate of June’s wellbeing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

At the very least the son is trying to go low contact but at this point I think you just want to go no contact.

OP, both of your kids loving suck.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cowslips Warren posted:

this is probably bait but holy poo poo what a bunch of assholes

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

JacquelineDempsey posted:

These "in-laws want to tag along on the honeymoon" stories always blow my mind.

Does an OP ever ask the MIL if her parents tagged along for her honeymoon? Or do Redditors ask that in the comments? I'd love to hear the responses.

Edit: like good on OP for this one being "we're going to gently caress 24/7" but that didn't work. Just ask MIL if she had her MIL along for her honeymoon and if not, then why?

MIL wants a foursome :unsmigghh:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cythereal posted:

Don't marry a former sex worker if you're embarrassed to be married to a former sex worker.

And she's a case where literally she was stripping to pay for college, through which she now has a different job that she's worked at for years.

If someone recognizes her from that job, that means they went to the strip club she worked at.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my graveyard shift employees that they need to come in 6 hours early on Christmas eve or use PTO?

Isn't closing early and being paid for it like the main plot of act1 of A Christmas Carol? He literally is Scrooge.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The discussion we are having is how she should’ve managed his feelings prior to the ew moment. Thanks for joining us.

A woman doesn't owe a man anything. A man doesn't owe a woman anything. I owe it to my inseparable best friend to proactively build an offramp from the cliff I'm aware they're slowing climbing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

And she's a case where literally she was stripping to pay for college, through which she now has a different job that she's worked at for years.

If someone recognizes her from that job, that means they went to the strip club she worked at.

Yeah but see a man has needs and those needs often include staring at women without their clothes on. So it's okay for a man to see it but it's bad for a woman to do it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A woman doesn't owe a man anything. A man doesn't owe a woman anything. I owe it to my inseparable best friend to proactively build an offramp from the cliff I'm aware they're slowing climbing.

men owe it to women to not make them responsible for their emotional well being when they randomly decide to be more than friends

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's why I spoiler that part. I'm just wondering how early they check for fertility issues?
There are conditions that can start to manifest as soon as someone starts having a period that will also contribute to fertility issues and make it hard to carry a pregnancy full term, like PCOS.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Need some help with my characters backstory, more specifically Kraken sex

quote:

Odd title but a quick explanation is my character is the child of a kraken and they’re gonna go adventuring to get stronger yada yada. My dm doesn’t really have a problem with this which is cool but they want me to explain one key detail. How did a man have sex with a kraken since the kraken is my characters mother. And I mean, I didn’t really think that was an important part of my backstory but I guess it is. Can y’all help me by pitching some ideas on how?

Man I did not want to post this on my main account

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You jack off into the ocean ONE TIME

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Maybe dont let Mako Tsunami be your dm?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The follow up to The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, The Bored, Drunken Bet of the Fisherman

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Benagain posted:

You jack off into the ocean ONE TIME

I swim but I wish I never learned
The water's full of kraken moms & sperm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Halloween Jack posted:

The dad was Fantasy John McAfee, bing bang boom problem solved

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for not keeping my ex-wife stuff for over 2 years while she "figured it out"

quote:

So me and my ex-wife were married for a little over year when she came home from a girls trip and decided she didn't want to be married anymore. Wouldn't really give me a reason for this, didn't want to discuss it unless it was with a therapist, which I didn't want to do unless she told me first because I didn't want to be blindsided by something with a stranger present. Long story short, I could have been a better husband, she could have been a better wife. But we separated, divorced, and that was fall of '21.

Fast forward to now. We've had very minimal contact (for taxes or mail, stuff like that) but have been very civil with each other. So this past summer I hadn't heard from her for months and wanted to clean out my garage. Some totes of clothes and decorations that I'll never use. So away it went to the trash or donated. Now when we first separated I gave her plenty of time and opportunity to remove her items from the house(anything that wasn't blanetly mine like my PC or guns or stuff like that. I honestly just wanted her out of my life so I told her to take whatever she wanted), even leaving the locks unchanged for a whole year after divorcing because up till then her name was still on then deed to the home. I guess she moved away after the divorce to another state? I'm unsure as I just didn't ask and didn't care.

So recently she text me and said she would be in town and asked if she could come get her stuff and remove some of the house hold items as well like a gas grill and a table. Items we got when we were together and have been left with me and used by me for the past two years and the items that I've gotten rid of. So am I the rear end in a top hat for just telling her no? I don't want to be mean about it but it's been two years since we divorced. How long was I suppose hang on to this stuff? She never asked me to hang on to it for her. Plus the common house items that I've been using, am I just supposed to let her have those and buy new stuff? I'm very confused about what she expected after two years of being divorced.

Edit: There was a previously discussed time for her to get her stuff. (I'm going through text messages trying to figure out what to tell her) It was last Christmas and she never showed up because she said she got caught up with family and had to fly to New York for the New Years party. That was also the last time we spoke till now.

AITA for saying NO to a puppy gift

quote:

I (24) grew up in a house where we had a family pet, a dog. I don't not like dogs (not hate), but I realized that they are a big responsibility. Not just financially, but also the caring they require. My parents gave me a puppy as a surprise birthday gift. I was thankful, but I told them I can't have the dog because 1. I live in an apartment 2. I don't have the time. Their reaction is "Well, now you'll need to move to a real house. We did when we started having you and your brothers. Suck it up." I still said thank you, but no can't take the dog. They laughed and went "bye you got this." What I did was to grab the basket (with the dog in it and walk them to their car. I put the basket in the backseat when they were saying their final goodbyes from the car window and about to drive off. They were surprised but couldn't do anything and they drove off. I could see the looks on their faces.

Now they're calling me ungrateful in the family chat. I told them it's not my fault they didn't check with me first and they didn't listen when I said no.

I think AITA because I was too blunt in telling my parents they didn't listen when I said no.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
also come on. a wizard and/or god was involved. End of story. this isn't rocket science people.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

r/relationships: how did a man have sex with a Kraken

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

This is where I'm at, except she hasn't been a stripper in almost a decade. Any guy at work who actually recognizes her is a bigger problem, imo

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not keeping my ex-wife stuff for over 2 years while she "figured it out"

I like that double the time that they were married has elapsed and she expects not only everything to still be in storage but to walk off with things in active use.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for saying NO to a puppy gift

I want to grab both of these parents and slap them continuously while shouting "ANMIALS ARE NOT GIFTS! YOU'RE JUST SAYING 'SURPRISE! HERE'S YEARS OF RESPONSIBILITY!' YOU PIECIES OF poo poo!"

God drat do those kinds of people make me angry.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for not wanting to take care of my sister’s kids if something happens to her.

quote:

My mom died in a car crash about 5 months ago. When the inheritance was settled I got what was in her bank account approximately $250. My sister and her 4 kids got my mom’s house and everything in it. Her remaining 401k went to her also.

My sister lived with my mom. She doesn’t speak to the 3 different men who fathered her children. Since this happened I cut off my sister who I always had a rocky relationship with since she always used her kids to manipulate my mother.

My sister called me and wanted my information like my ssn so she can put me as the beneficiary in her will and for me if something happens to her. I said no. I enjoy my child free life and I do not want her kids if something happens to her. She said I was the only family she had left. I told her I do not care. You’re not using your children to manipulate me like you did to our mom. My sister yelled at me saying what would happen to me if my kids if I die? I told her I guess they can live with their fathers or go into foster care, either way it’s not my problem. I’ve already put distance between my sisters and her kids. I’m not planning to stay in contact with her at all and that was the first time we spoke since the will.

quote:

NTA. Are you 100% sure that she wants your SSN and other info for "beneficiary" paperwork?

OP: Don’t know. She was a former addict and stole from my aunt one time.
Nice try with the identity theft, sis.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not being more sympathetic to my husband about his “dying” grandfather?

quote:

Okay my husband’s grandad lives in Central Africa and is in his early 70s. He’s got a couple of underlying health conditions which he does not take care of and routinely misses doses of medication for and engages in behaviour he knows will make him worse.

I was 6 weeks post partum after a c section when this situation kicked off (3 weeks ago), so I’m very much still in need of help.

We have no family nearby and while our friends are good at listening, none of them have any experience with helping with a child or post partum mother.

So husband gets a phone call from his mother saying his grandad has been hospitalised and the dr can’t figure out what’s going on. They catastrophised and started saying oh maybe he’s on his death bed come now.

Husband left the same day 5 hours later on an international flight to go see his grandad.

Turns out that he hasn’t taken any blood pressure or cholesterol medication in months and he’s also been reckless with his blood sugar.

Doctors stabilised him very quickly once they realised this and he hasn’t had any permanent side effects.

Meanwhile I’m still in pain and struggling from post op complications, struggling to produce milk, and having to take baby for regular dr visits (every 3 days.)

I get photos of husband on a beach, sipping from coconuts one night, at his uncle’s for a bbq another, going hiking on another day etc etc.

I was furious.

He came home last week (so after being away for 2 weeks). Started telling me how nice it was that grandad came home a day and a half after husband reached there.

I didn’t say anything negative then but on Wednesday he started comparing his mini holiday with me leaving one grandmother in India who was in ICU at the time to go to the UK for MY grandad who died a few hours after I landed.

I exploded at him that they weren’t the same! I had 2 grandparents on different sides of the family actively dying (and they did die shortly after each other) because of organ failure and disease that couldn’t be treated! I told him his grandad would’ve been fine if he’d bothered to take his meds but he hadn’t and the end result was a needless hospital bill, a mini family reunion while I was struggling alone!

Husband is saying I lack empathy and is being very harsh with me now, AITA for saying the truth?

quote:

It’s a flexible fare but he would absolutely not have been financially impacted at all by changing the ticket even if it was non refundable

After a week I asked him if everything was okay and he said yes we are just having a nice time and I said okay well I’m struggling please can you come home and he just said oh you’ll be fine and then avoided the topic for the rest of the week - only texted me after that no more phone calls

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hughlander posted:

I like that double the time that they were married has elapsed and she expects not only everything to still be in storage but to walk off with things in active use.

I would think that divorce papers would have some "finalized means finalized" language or a fixed time window for disputing ownership of belongings, precisely so that you don't end up with one party coming back years later and demanding random stuff from a house that isn't theirs anymore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The_Franz posted:

I would think that divorce papers would have some "finalized means finalized" language or a fixed time window for disputing ownership of belongings, precisely so that you don't end up with one party coming back years later and demanding random stuff from a house that isn't theirs anymore.

OP says in the comments that she didn't dispute anything and didn't even hire a lawyer just had his lawyer draft up the papers and signed them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I've had every goddamn good male friend I've had confess they wanted to date me because I have been single this entire time. Should I have had to do this for every one? I already dread getting close to any male friend because I just know I'm gonna have another awkward talk in the future. Should I really have to go "Hey PS: I know we're just hanging out right now but I DO NOT WANT TO DATE YOU. Thanks," to every guy I meet?

this is not bragging, I am an awkward nerd and they are also awkward nerds. It's awkward nerd hell. There is literally no good time to take someone aside and say "I will not date you." The only time that isn't awful is when they ask and you're turning them down.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 8, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kurieg posted:

OP says in the comments that she didn't dispute anything and didn't even hire a lawyer just had his lawyer draft up the papers and signed them.

So "I don't care, you can have everything, I just want to walk away". He's already done more than was required of him and is perfectly in the right telling her "No, you can't take my grill and table. Get lost".

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I've had every goddamn good male friend I've had confess they wanted to date me because I have been single this entire time. Should I have had to do this for every one? I already dread getting close to any male friend because I just know I'm gonna have another awkward talk in the future. Should I really have to go "Hey PS: I know we're just hanging out right now but I DO NOT WANT TO DATE YOU. Thanks," to every guy I meet?

Men can have woman friends, but women can't have male friends, just a collection of people who have her stashed away for when they're feeling lonely and are largely incapable of differentiating between kinds of relationships

But for real, I've been on the opposite end of that before and it was a very sharp and sudden realization that what I was doing was its own lovely betrayal, no matter how important I felt that it was to do. I can't imagine how it feels to live in constant awareness of that possibility in friendships.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This week I've been getting a third-hand relationships or AITA post from a co-worker because he's a blabbermouth and has to tell everyone about how his buddy's wife found a nude picture on his buddy's computer of his college girlfriend from 8 years ago, saw that it was last accessed last year, and is now wanting a divorce.

My co-worker didn't like that I laughed about it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Midnight Voyager posted:

this is not bragging, I am an awkward nerd and they are also awkward nerds. It's awkward nerd hell. There is literally no good time to take someone aside and say "I will not date you." The only time that isn't awful is when they ask and you're turning them down.

Seriously this is why the suggestion that she should’ve done something before he confessed is so loving absurd

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also imagine if she had been reading the situation wrong, and now she's said "I do not want to date you" to someone who did not want to date her in the first place. Now she's been massively weird out of nowhere!

Big Mac posted:

Men can have woman friends, but women can't have male friends, just a collection of people who have her stashed away for when they're feeling lonely and are largely incapable of differentiating between kinds of relationships

But for real, I've been on the opposite end of that before and it was a very sharp and sudden realization that what I was doing was its own lovely betrayal, no matter how important I felt that it was to do. I can't imagine how it feels to live in constant awareness of that possibility in friendships.

By the way, it's pretty much fine when it happens and you both move on and continue to be friends. That's just a normal relationship thing. That's fine. But when you turn someone down and they drop you like a hot rock, that stings. That makes you feel like you never had a real friendship.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 8, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
A guy who wants to confess will not let himself be deterred by anything. I had this friend who I'd always say was like my little brother, he'd say I was like his big sis. It did not stop him, nor did it stop him from never speaking to me again after being assured that I did actually think of him as a friend and brother.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cowslips Warren posted:

Edit to add spacing

:aaaaa:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not being more sympathetic to my husband about his “dying” grandfather?

Why did she marry this guy

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also imagine if she had been reading the situation wrong, and now she's said "I do not want to date you" to someone who did not want to date her in the first place. Now she's been massively weird out of nowhere!

There's also a version of the situation where she's not reading it wrong and does try to specify that she only wants to be friends and then she gets a response along the lines of "wow you're so stuck up, I didn't even think of you like that, you're not even attractive" which is sadly a common way for lovely guys to try to save face in my experience.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Edit to add spacing

Is there a name for the Oedipal Complex, except it's the mum wanting to gently caress the son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cowslips Warren posted:

Edit to add spacing

She doesn't know it yet but her MIL is coming on that trip whether her and her fiance invite her or not. For gods sake I hope they book a ticket somewhere else without telling her.