Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Barreft posted:

Does this not have Steam Cloud saving? Opening it up on the Deck only has a new game option

If you're having trouble getting the saves to sync, run the game in Proton Experimental compatibility mode on the Steam Deck

SonOfGhostDad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Welp, guess I'll be a Noble Officer, then. Glad to see the most stereotypically 'Rogue Trader' option is well-regarded.

It's really "Action Economy The Class," which is always powerful in turn based games. I cannot emphasize enough how much work Argenta puts in when one or two of these action economy builds are constantly funneling free turns to her. And if for some reason you don't just want to constantly burst fire a bolter, you can for instance tell Adelard to slap the last guy threatening him in melee range, or have Idira put up buffs on a second character that turn, or let the person who was just wounded patch themselves up before their turn comes around... etc etc.

All this is garnished by the narrative resonance of being the 'leader' of the party getting to do leader things that benefit the whole group in a very general but powerful way. It's definitely my "class fantasy" as it were.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

A buffer tactician would go Officer, then either Imperial world to boost Fellowship the most with no drawbacks, or perhaps hiveworld to help people next to him. Melee may prefer commissar, while ranged would go noble.

Hive World has one of the most silly background-exclusive talents available for someone focusing on Fellowship. Namely Comradery, the one that lets you just flat out use Fellowship instead of Willpower for resistance checks. Who cares about a penalty there when you're not a psyker and you can just use your best stat for practically any relevant check instead?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm assuming that different party members also have different preferred alignments? Can't see a Battle Sister or Space Wolf easily following you if you go Hereticus, for instance, and it'd be nice to know ahead of time who I'll mostly be hanging out with and investing resources in in each of the three paths, even if it's a bit of a spoiler.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's pretty cool that this game explores things like labor relations in the 40k universe instead of just being like "you are all slaves to the immortal god emperor"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming that different party members also have different preferred alignments? Can't see a Battle Sister or Space Wolf easily following you if you go Hereticus, for instance, and it'd be nice to know ahead of time who I'll mostly be hanging out with and investing resources in in each of the three paths, even if it's a bit of a spoiler.

They each come with their own dispositions already set for the most part.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been able to talk Abelard down from his fascist dogmatic stance a few times and he at least pretends to see the light of my iconoclastic revelations. Granted he's just some navy officer and not a zealous space marine or sister of battle but it seems like at least some of the companions have a bit of flexibility, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to corrupt companions to heretical. Space marines get corrupted all the time in the lore, right?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not so much in the current timeline, they got corrupted back in the Heresy days. You don't see an Ultramarine decide some random Chaos god is cool n good. He would end his life before even considering that. There might be a device or weapon that could possess a Space Marine, but I haven't read anything in current setting of that happening. If they found something questionable, usually they defer to a different body (Inquisition, Grey Knights, Dark Angels, etc) rather than just picking it up and playing with it. They all have PTSD from the Heresy. Space Marines are incredibly smart. On a scale I would put them just under Primarchs, and a large gap between any normal humans, even high ranking ones like Inquisitors and Terran Council members.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 8, 2023

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Space Wolves can mutate into semi-feral things called wulfen though, so that might be an avenue for Ulfir to take in terms of keeping him in a hereticus party. Although I'm just speculating as I'm not that far yet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Best bet for a Space Marine going along with questionable leadership would be an Alpha Legion marine. They work both sides, and so long as it justifies whatever goals they might have, they usually go along with it. The latest Abnett books has an Alpha Legion working with an (Wanted) Inquisitor, for example. A Space Wolf I couldn't see them allowing any heresy whatsoever.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 8, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been able to talk Abelard down from his fascist dogmatic stance a few times and he at least pretends to see the light of my iconoclastic revelations. Granted he's just some navy officer and not a zealous space marine or sister of battle but it seems like at least some of the companions have a bit of flexibility, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to corrupt companions to heretical. Space marines get corrupted all the time in the lore, right?

In older lore it could happen, but it was rare-to-unheard of, and typically happened in the usual suspects: Librarians and other psykers. With the notable exception of Grey Knights being the super special boys.

Abelard seems one of the more open and reasonable ones that isn't also straight up flirting with Chaos like Idira. My character negotiated the compromise with the strikers, but letting a psyker, let alone an unsanctioned one, just kinda do their own thing is beyond the pale. Edelgard or whatever his name was is an object enough lesson in where that can lead, even for a sanctioned psyker of sound mind.

Still dogmatic, still going to execute traitors and heretics on the spot, but only with reasonable suspicion. The lower decks need priests, not death squads. Teach them to properly worry about their feet turning into hooves if they pull on a pair of cultist boots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am gonna run pro imperial but with kinda of a liberation theology bent with some "i care about civilians and MY people" for my first time.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Normally I don't get invested in the story of most CRPGs, but because I've been reading so many 40k books lately I'm actually invested in the lore and story which is kind of nice for a change.

I went for a pyromancer soldier to start, but I only have one fire skill for the time being. I kind of want to burn stuff and then hopefully find flame weapons that will do more damage to enemies on fire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Normally I don't get invested in the story of most CRPGs, but because I've been reading so many 40k books lately I'm actually invested in the lore and story which is kind of nice for a change.

I went for a pyromancer soldier to start, but I only have one fire skill for the time being. I kind of want to burn stuff and then hopefully find flame weapons that will do more damage to enemies on fire.

same. its kinda weird going into a game with a glossery and seeing terms i already know way way way too well. nice change of pace. I do feel bad for folks who arnt 40k fans because the game kinda tosses you into the deeper end. like its not the super deep end(like space marine to a degree) but i can see someone getting confused despire the help.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 8, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Actual mechanical question: Does "burst fire" count as a ranged area attack? I'm starting to question whether it counts after assuming it did for taking that one skill with Argenta that boosts ranged area attack damage.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

......Abelard is the Iconoclast option. Everyone else is generally way more fundamentalist than him. He is, by and large, as nice as it gets.

Also most of the combat in this game is so loving boring, it's just a dozen dudes that can't stand up to an attack running around for three minutes throwing 18 automatic fire shots at me. Either the odds play out normally and they all die having wasted my time, or someone goes down and gets -90000 to all their important stats.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Actual mechanical question: Does "burst fire" count as a ranged area attack? I'm starting to question whether it counts after assuming it did for taking that one skill with Argenta that boosts ranged area attack damage.

No. Area attacks are specifically ones that potentially hit everything in it in the same attack. So flamers or meltas on AoE, for the most part. Burst Fire has an area cone, but you're still firing off one shot at a time that can just randomize where it goes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Given that's Owlcat this isn't a really serious complaint, but I sure wish that one thing they fixed from Pathfinder would be for the character that detects a trap to pathfind his way around it to disarm it safely when you click on it instead of running right through the big red area to get to the part that he disarms.

Lord Koth posted:

No. Area attacks are specifically ones that potentially hit everything in it in the same attack. So flamers or meltas on AoE, for the most part. Burst Fire has an area cone, but you're still firing off one shot at a time that can just randomize where it goes.

Whoa, so Concentrated Fire is useless on Argenta with a bolter? They could have made that clearer.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

It's pretty cool that this game explores things like labor relations in the 40k universe instead of just being like "you are all slaves to the immortal god emperor"

Even more than most 40k games this really feels like someone really adapted a Black Library novel.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

E: I misread.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2023

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Philthy posted:

Not so much in the current timeline, they got corrupted back in the Heresy days. You don't see an Ultramarine decide some random Chaos god is cool n good. He would end his life before even considering that. There might be a device or weapon that could possess a Space Marine, but I haven't read anything in current setting of that happening. If they found something questionable, usually they defer to a different body (Inquisition, Grey Knights, Dark Angels, etc) rather than just picking it up and playing with it. They all have PTSD from the Heresy. Space Marines are incredibly smart. On a scale I would put them just under Primarchs, and a large gap between any normal humans, even high ranking ones like Inquisitors and Terran Council members.

This is very much not true, I would say, on many levels. Loyalist Space Marines, including the First Founding ones who are wrangling generational Heresy trauma, still fall to Chaos all the time. They're educated enough to not pick up random suspicious possessed objects, and indoctrinated enough to usually not question things, but no brainwashing is perfect. Not to mention that sometimes Chaos just happens if you spend long enough in a sufficiently Warpy place, and the whole Badab war happened, where multiple whole Chapters got so irritated with the Imperium that they just hosed off to chaos.

Is it common? No. Does it happen? Absolutely.

The incorruptible ones are the Sisters of Battle(mostly, there's like...one or two singular exceptions and one of them got better) and Grey Knights.

Anyway, my PC ended up in the image of one of my recent favorite characters in another thing. I'm picturing her as the Radical Inquisitor type-eradicate Chaos at all costs, no matter what. Probably more angry about Chaos than any sort of devotion to the Emperor. Not sure whether she'll lean Dogmatic or Heretic in the long run(probably Heretic because I like it better and the ends justify the means even more if the means are fun).

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Just in case anyone else is as stupid as I am and was wondering why none of the DLC got applied when you ordered the full version off of the Gamersgate site that isthereanydeal recommended, the order actually has individual activation keys for every component :blush:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Philthy posted:

The Red Corsairs whole thing is that they just let random loyalist guys who turn traitor join

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Can confirm that I've played for about 10 hours so far with not a single crash on a shiny new Ryzen 7800X3D and GeForce RTX 4070 system. Needless to say, with specs like that I'm practically at frame cap even with everything maxed out. I've only gotten a few visual bugs that sort themselves out so far, it otherwise feels equal to the polish of Wrath after a year of patching so far.

It's been an absolute blast as well, I'm having a lot of fun and have gotten some close wins with my Pyromancer Soldier RT and the growing party (I did Cassia's station and the asteroid before heading to the main planet in chapter 1). Early on, it's a lot more "blast-loaded" than an Officer build, but once a full team is assembled and more levels are gained, it should be really interesting. My only complaint is that the Soldier Heroic Act doesn't allow for tons of psyker attacks; while that makes sense on some level, I was really hoping I'd be able to set four or five dudes on fire at the same time, but alas, I am apparently limited to just two. If anything, I probably need to give up on the preorder pistols and put my long-las on my RT to make use of that sweet hero potential.

Also, during the dream sequence leading up to landing on Minoris, I ended up throwing away the blade shard because I rejected the sword entirely. I'm sure that won't come back to bite me in the rear end and lock me out of the secret ending. :v:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you look at his conviction sheet he's an iconoclast from the start. He would very much like for things to be better, but has made it to 50 in the setting by just doing what is expected of him (fascist violence). He likes it when you tell him there's another way, but isn't brave enough to see that from the start.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mulva posted:

Also most of the combat in this game is so loving boring, it's just a dozen dudes that can't stand up to an attack running around for three minutes throwing 18 automatic fire shots at me. Either the odds play out normally and they all die having wasted my time, or someone goes down and gets -90000 to all their important stats.

You can crank the combat speed up in the options menu to the point where enemies don't even show animations and their turns and attacks happen near-instantly. Also taking down hordes of enemies quickly becomes much easier not too far into the game, eventually the hordes of chaff enemies become a welcome sight because they let you charge up your momentum bar quickly.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's a build planner spreadsheet here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/189mhb0/character_builder_spreadsheet_v100/

I'm finding it useful to read the descriptions for everything quicker than by switching through the game's UI.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Barreft posted:

Does this not have Steam Cloud saving? Opening it up on the Deck only has a new game option

Steam deck cloud sync works now.
Earlier when you posted it didn't, but I synced my saves on both PC and Steam deck today and it works now.

:iiam:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Has anyone Speedrun the game yet and is Theodora's killer the one everyone thought it was?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

you're going to be very upset when you do the Prison planet in act 1...

"First Oh!, and then.. (ohh........) and then ew...."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

am i missing something or does the sanctic talent that increases your psy rating whenever someone uses a heroic act not seem to do anything

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Owlcat loves concocting completely daft cutscene justifications for an antagonist to scurry away to fight another day, and Ethelbert heroically sacrificing himself by taking three steps forward to chase the villain all the way off-ship, then instantly turning into a chaos spawn, and teaming up with the villain's henchmen who I guess had not run away has got to be up there with the best/worst of them.

On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for the ability to play as a mutton-chopped coward who hides behind tables while barking orders at the actual heroes, so I'm willing to forgive pretty much anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

grobbo posted:

Owlcat loves concocting completely daft cutscene justifications for an antagonist to scurry away to fight another day, and Ethelbert heroically sacrificing himself by taking three steps forward to chase the villain all the way off-ship, then instantly turning into a chaos spawn, and teaming up with the villain's henchmen who I guess had not run away has got to be up there with the best/worst of them.

On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for the ability to play as a mutton-chopped coward who hides behind tables while barking orders at the actual heroes, so I'm willing to forgive pretty much anything.

i was cool so i got my crew to help me out.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

t3isukone posted:

This is very much not true, I would say, on many levels. Loyalist Space Marines, including the First Founding ones who are wrangling generational Heresy trauma, still fall to Chaos all the time. They're educated enough to not pick up random suspicious possessed objects, and indoctrinated enough to usually not question things, but no brainwashing is perfect. Not to mention that sometimes Chaos just happens if you spend long enough in a sufficiently Warpy place, and the whole Badab war happened, where multiple whole Chapters got so irritated with the Imperium that they just hosed off to chaos.

Is it common? No. Does it happen? Absolutely.

The incorruptible ones are the Sisters of Battle(mostly, there's like...one or two singular exceptions and one of them got better) and Grey Knights.

Anyway, my PC ended up in the image of one of my recent favorite characters in another thing. I'm picturing her as the Radical Inquisitor type-eradicate Chaos at all costs, no matter what. Probably more angry about Chaos than any sort of devotion to the Emperor. Not sure whether she'll lean Dogmatic or Heretic in the long run(probably Heretic because I like it better and the ends justify the means even more if the means are fun).

Turning to chaos is rare for space marines but just saying gently caress this poo poo and going rogue happens a lot more often. Its a not uncommon problem the imperium has where a squad/company of space marines takes over a backwater planet and install themselves as god kings.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

you're going to be very upset when you do the Prison planet in act 1...

"First Oh!, and then.. (ohh........) and then ew...."

On the other hand, it gives us one of the most 40k dialogues in history. Providing prisoners 3 meals a day and no mouth punches? Clearly mad.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I am stuck in the most terrible indecision (I know respeccing is a thing, but y'know.)
Voidborn.

Psyker-Telepath, Operative, Grand Strategist (pros, cons?)
Psyker-Pyro, Officer, Master Tactician (pros, cons?)
Psyker-Sanctic would be fine but it feels weird to be looking at a hereticus playthrough but screaming about THE EMPEROR'S WILL

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i was thinking the trash mobs werent so bad then i got to the starport and wtf

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm trying to figure out how to handle Heinrix now that I have him. I've got an idea in mind, I just have no clue how to make it work for me yet.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Iymarra posted:

I am stuck in the most terrible indecision (I know respeccing is a thing, but y'know.)
Voidborn.

Psyker-Telepath, Operative, Grand Strategist (pros, cons?)
Psyker-Pyro, Officer, Master Tactician (pros, cons?)
Psyker-Sanctic would be fine but it feels weird to be looking at a hereticus playthrough but screaming about THE EMPEROR'S WILL

Pyro on a non offensive archetype feels off. Minimal synergy with voidborn too. Unless Int counts two times for the grand strategist bonuses. A different psyker focus or criminal would work.

Telepath debuffer and operative works better. That one would possibly be better for Grand Strategist if the INT stacking works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cuntman.net posted:

i was thinking the trash mobs werent so bad then i got to the starport and wtf

The starport fights absolutely wrecked me harder than anything else so far. I just wrapped up in chapter 1 and in retrospect I don't think it's intended to be the first thing you do. It's still possible to do first but the enemies there kept blasting me behind cover and overwhelming the poo poo out of me, I was getting multiple characters downed in every fight. It's been smooth sailing ever since then.