Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I mean, judging from how BotW and TotK show the Zonai and their history, that ended up in the game eventually. The alien invasion just ended up being benevolent and/or temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Apparently an alien invasion was an idea seriously considered for BotW, so that's not too far outside the realm of possibility

why is it that nintendo always starts with stuff like this and how fire emblem awakening was supposed to take place on mars, then talks themselves down from it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

looooool

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I can't wait to face the alien final boss, Overlord nonaG.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

why is it that nintendo always starts with stuff like this and how fire emblem awakening was supposed to take place on mars, then talks themselves down from it

I mean they were developing for the Wii U

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every Zelda game has to up the stakes so now that we’ve travelled 10,000 years in the past, next time we’re gonna travel 100,000 years back to when the Zonai first invade

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steve Yun posted:

Every Zelda game has to up the stakes so now that we’ve travelled 10,000 years in the past, next time we’re gonna travel 100,000 years back to when the Zonai first invade

But still somehow Ganon.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

And Zelda still won’t recognize him beyond “I’ve gotta bad feeling about this guy”

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Make them all teenagers though. And set it in school. King Rhoam can be the principal.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Make them all teenagers though. And set it in school. King Rhoam can be the principal.

You joke but this is basically the beginning of Skyward Sword with Principal Rauru (old man version not hot goat)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cojawfee posted:

But still somehow Ganon.

You have to team up with him to defeat the aliens. Fight moblins etc to recruit them. Raid dungeons for ultimate weapons.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They should do Mario RPG but for Zelda

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Runcible Cat posted:

You have to team up with him to defeat the aliens. Fight moblins etc to recruit them. Raid dungeons for ultimate weapons.

I'll accept this if I can finally be friends with bokoblins.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Martman posted:

They should do Mario RPG but for Zelda

Where do I preorder this. I am down for party member Ganon. Especially if like Mario RPG it's SNES era Link and Ganon looks like some weird rear end pig in a cape

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I would definitely unironically enjoy a farcical take on Hyrule which is also a fun and accessible turn-based RPG. Call it Zelda Gaiden RPG and have Zelda be the player character.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That might actually be a better way to have playable Zelda than just swapping her in for Link and the princess suddenly knowing how to use a sword and bombs and whatnot

Kinda like how Luigi’s first successful solo outing was a completely different genre to the rest of the “main” games

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

As long as Zelda isn't the healer/support.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Looks like the levitation trick isn't just limited to that arch with the balancer glued to it

https://x.com/yukino_san_14/status/1730604784242327800?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy loving poo poo lmao

Going to keep the URL unparsed due to spoilers. Linked is a video on how to take care of the primary boss fight in a very short amount of time.

https://x.com/cross00841798/status/1730569597886325223?s=20

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mustached Demon posted:

As long as Zelda isn't the healer/support.
zelda is the character who starts out the game looking like a white mage, with heals and status buffs, and then midway through the game she starts learning poo poo like "Omega Hyper Death Beam of the Goddess" and you get another character who learns the more dedicated healing spells. its tingle

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You know it's gonna be rupee based, and it'll cost 100x as much as the equivalent magic points in any other game

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Blaziken386 posted:

zelda is the character who starts out the game looking like a white mage, with heals and status buffs, and then midway through the game she starts learning poo poo like "Omega Hyper Death Beam of the Goddess" and you get another character who learns the more dedicated healing spells. its tingle

Rauru getting to demonstrate what he can do with the Power of Light is one of my very favourite cutscenes ever. LASER CANNON gently caress YEAH!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

But still somehow Ganon.

A backup Gannon robot

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy loving poo poo lmao

Going to keep the URL unparsed due to spoilers. Linked is a video on how to take care of the primary boss fight in a very short amount of time.

https://x.com/cross00841798/status/1730569597886325223?s=20

So that's how the sausage is made

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
dethl was always the strongest zelda boss

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Finally maxed out my energy wells. You can use excess crystallized charges to purchase zonai capsules

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Personally for me it is Ganon's Sword. That fucker gave me so many issues in Skyward Sword. Granted that game gave me a hell of a lot of issues.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's dethI, not dethl

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol

https://x.com/cross00841798/status/1732703631101898893?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/javierabegazo/status/1732970191959761241?s=20

Such disrespect

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't that the same game awards that was started on Spike TV?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah different thing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I support this contraception messaging

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Thirty seconds is awfully short for an acceptance speech, especially when half of it is eaten up by a translator. Should've been 1-2 minutes.

That said, for the love of god, people - when you have a set amount of time to speak, don't go over it!

Signed, a live events worker

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Thirty seconds is awfully short for an acceptance speech, especially when half of it is eaten up by a translator. Should've been 1-2 minutes.

That said, for the love of god, people - when you have a set amount of time to speak, don't go over it!

Signed, a live events worker

This is just bad event planning, especially if they want their event to be taken seriously (they don't care). They spent like ten minutes letting Kojima promote a game that isn't even close to existing yet, and gave actual award winners 30 seconds.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Oh yeah, definitely agree that their time allotments were all out of whack

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s really funny how the “award show” part of the event becomes more and more of an afterthought each year

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For those who have played both TOTK and BG3, do you feel BG3 was more deserving of GOTY?

I haven't played BG3 yet. I will soon. But i've watched a lot of videos on it. Reviews, game tips, walkthroughs. I'm intrigued with having choices that profoundly impact the story, characters, and how your game plays out. Having mature writing, with good voice acting.

But the top down isometric view doesn't seem very immersive. Neither does looking at a big panel of icons.

Yet one could look at a totk video, like "30 tips you didn't know about totk" that Gamespot uploaded, and it blows your mind. And they released 4 of those. I'm not even talking about the crazy builds videos that went viral, but things that were practical and useful, but still mind blowing.

I know playing with a mouse and keyboard is ideal, but that means playing at my desk, with a smaller display, and less comfortable chair. That's not the games fault, but still, i'm wondering if all the praise is from people who were previous fans of the franchise, or D&D nerds that love turn based rpg's.

The building and crafting in totk could be its own game. Shrines could be its own game, like portal. The eventide type survival challenges could be its own thing. If you get tired of doing something, you could do something else thats almost a different game genre. I'm not seeing anything nearly that dynamic in BG3. But people are saying it revolutionizes the rpg genre. How so? TOTK changed my whole mindset when playing. Using your own creativity and imagination with unlimited possibilities for combat, puzzle solving, and traversal. How does BG3 top that?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ToTK, Alan Wake 2, and Baldur’s Gate 3 were all deserving candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

seems like you've made up your mind and your own criteria - 'immersion,' couch play - might not be other people's criteria but it's basically synthesizing a AAA game presentation with giant meticulously designed zones and super expressive high def characters with a wildly deep old school CRPG. imo the strength of a video games as a medium is player choice and reactivity and bg3 has more of that by some order of magnitude in terms of affecting the world and characters whereas however you approach things in totk you're pretty much going to end up in the same place as every other player, give or take 25% map completion. so imo it was always gonna run away with an award from a show that tries to appeal to both the 'cinematic' gaming crowd and the 'hardcore' gaming crowd. i'm only like 40 hours in but on the whole is it a more impressive production than totk, which i loved but you could uncharitably call a souped-up botw? yeah