Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its "Tap the DNS sign" today.
Something changed, and dns searches are taking longer then they should, eventually time out. But not always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

vanity slug posted:

git commit -am "fixed"

murder

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

A Frosty Witch posted:

I saw a memory stick Christmas wreath today and I can't believe it's been 11 years, y'all

what even is time

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

CitizenKain posted:

Its "Tap the DNS sign" today.
Something changed, and dns searches are taking longer then they should, eventually time out. But not always.

Our DNS was wonky today. Turns out that CySec decided to block some gTLDs today and that makes DNS unreliable. Who woulda thunk it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

JPrime posted:

what even is time

A flat circle, like a wreath.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

JPrime posted:

what even is time
None of your concern.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A flat circle, like a wreath.

time is like a buffallo. it... exists and... uh... eventually you have to get another one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm fully invested in Do Nothing December now. I think the last three meetings I've joined I said hello at the start and then goodbye at the end, and sat on mute playing PlayStation the rest of the time.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

JPrime posted:

what even is time

Imagine four buffalos on the edge of a cliff. Say the buffalo nearest the cliff becomes 98% full and is sent to the back of the line of buffalos and takes the place of the first buffalo. The formerly first buffalo becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth corrupts completely. This is none of your concern.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the cliff? windows nt

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I took home an old work Buffalo this week and currently migrating files to it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm fully invested in Do Nothing December now. I think the last three meetings I've joined I said hello at the start and then goodbye at the end, and sat on mute playing PlayStation the rest of the time.

This is the way to do it. It's review and survey time here. Don't build anything new. Don't make changes. Don't make waves. 2.5 weeks is not as much time as you think and it's easy to push the "gently caress up everyone's holiday" button.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A Frosty Witch posted:

Imagine four buffalos on the edge of a cliff. Say the buffalo nearest the cliff becomes 98% full and is sent to the back of the line of buffalos and takes the place of the first buffalo. The formerly first buffalo becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth corrupts completely. This is none of your concern.

Witch, please, he had a NAS.
(Takes a drag off a cat 6 cable and drops his allocation table)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Our DNS was wonky today. Turns out that CySec decided to block some gTLDs today and that makes DNS unreliable. Who woulda thunk it?

Ours is still kinda busted, seems like the primary cluster in Infoblox just kinda stopped. Also someone removed an Azure server that thing were using and didn't tell anyone?

We discovered at the end of this that our DNS setup shouldn't have been working at all, and has only been limping along due to blind luck for over a year. When we had talked to Infoblox and moved to their platform, the engineer we worked with, and the support person both left the company before we finished. Turns out they missed a few things.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 8, 2023

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

A Frosty Witch posted:

I saw a memory stick Christmas wreath today and I can't believe it's been 11 years, y'all

Lol, that post history was a trip! And I'm only up to mid-2016. I hope things got better for you!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

smh at anyone that has to read through the thread and didn't experience it when it happened

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Bone Crimes posted:

Lol, that post history was a trip! And I'm only up to mid-2016. I hope things got better for you!

Oh.

Oh, hon.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Narrator: They did.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I might have missed a post here and there, but I'm up to 2021 now.

Data Graham posted:

The IT -> witchcraft pipeline

The Iron Rose posted:

enchant, transfigure, levitate

lol

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Thanks Ants posted:

We're in Europe, but wife works at a huge intl corporation and the Americans are already telling her "happy holidays" since December 7th. They're truly ahead of the curve on doing gently caress all in December.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanksgiving gets them started early.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

We're in Europe, but wife works at a huge intl corporation and the Americans are already telling her "happy holidays" since December 7th. They're truly ahead of the curve on doing gently caress all in December.

Its the -worst-. Jingle bells music starts in stores in November now.

Not actually a joke post these days

(I blame this more on advent calendar overflow than anything else. Gotta train those expectations to start RIGHT ON DECEMBER FIRST!! and be hallmark-y for a month cuz of it.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My local supermarket filling the seasonal aisle with christmas stuff on August 31st was the last straw for me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arquinsiel posted:

Thanksgiving gets them started early.

Oh, we get started before Halloween, now.
Which ticks me off. I like Halloween, and I like Thanksgiving. Let them be their own holidays, rather than "pre-Christmas".
Christmas starts on Black Friday *at the earliest*. Don't even get those decorations out of the attic before that.

Jaded Burnout posted:

My local supermarket filling the seasonal aisle with christmas stuff on August 31st was the last straw for me.

Retail has gotten more and more desperate to try and save the year with holiday sales.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shugojin posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Username/avatar combo?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

internet not working!!

problem: for some reason your teenage son has rewired this to be modem > switch > router > back to switch from a lan port on the router and decided it was fine because "the light is green"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
For some reason, a camera in this Cisco array is drooping, it still tracks, but isn’t level. So it looks like Marty Feldman.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Darchangel posted:

Oh, we get started before Halloween, now.
Which ticks me off. I like Halloween, and I like Thanksgiving. Let them be their own holidays, rather than "pre-Christmas".
Christmas starts on Black Friday *at the earliest*. Don't even get those decorations out of the attic before that.

This is one of the few ways that living in Europe is worse than the states. Halloween isn’t a real holiday and Thanksgiving doesn’t even exist, so there’s not even the “buffer” holidays through autumn to stop shops from hauling out the Christmas tat mid-October.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

To be fair, folks don’t get Halloween off here in the states either.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

To be fair, folks don’t get Halloween off here in the states either.

Halloween is the only buffer to keeps Christmas stuff from hitting the shelves in August.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shugojin posted:

internet not working!!

problem: for some reason your teenage son has rewired this to be modem > switch > router > back to switch from a lan port on the router and decided it was fine because "the light is green"

lol

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

First day at the new job!

HR never set me up in the system so I don't have a computer or a username or an email address. So I'm sitting in my office twiddling my thumbs in between one on ones with my employees and not being able to do anything since I can't look at our projects. Everyone is looking to me for leadership but haha oh well.

Also I don't have rent money for next month because I ate my whole unemployed savings to finance the move and I just found out I don't get my first paycheck until February.

Tomorrow we have a lunch meeting and they're bringing in Panera and the urge to order a lethal amount of that lemonade that kills you is non-zero.

Nothing ever changes, I'm gonna have content for this thread forever.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A Frosty Witch posted:

I don't get my first paycheck until February.

A full six weeks to first paycheck is insane

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

A Frosty Witch posted:

First day at the new job!

and I just found out I don't get my first paycheck until February.

oh god what the actual gently caress

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

It's education so we get paid monthly. Pay periods run from 20th-20th and timecards are due the Friday before the next 20th. I just missed this pay period so I have to wait till we get paid on the next one, which is February 1st. It's wild but that's the public sector for you.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Y'all jinxed her by setting that thread title. :colbert:

Hope they can figure something out for you so you're not screwed on rent.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Geemer posted:

Hope they can figure something out for you so you're not screwed on rent.

I marched down to HR and threw an absolute "do you know who I am" tantrum until they gave me an email address.

Also I think I can use my credit card to pay my rent.

Everything's finally lining up for ol' Frosty Witch

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Geemer posted:

Look, I just press the buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Press them in such a way that I do good at this job please thank you