Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

On The Internet posted:

Can someone explain Joshi graduation? I don't watch Joshi wrestling but I like Yuka in AEW. Heard that she just graduated and curious to what that process is like. Did Riho graduate? Shida?

It's simple enough to think of it as just departing their home company for any variety of reasons. Yuka is graduating to go to AEW, Nodoka Tenma graduated from wrestling altogether to become a farmer in her home town. Elsewhere Sayuri recently graduated from Gatoh Move due to a long term illness while Yunamon graduated to go freelance (she's now signed to STARDOM?)

Riho did graduate from Gatoh Move back in 2019, her final match against Emi Sakura. Shida i'm not too sure about, assumedly when she left Ice Ribbon a decade ago but can't find any reference to her final match with Tsukasa Fujimoto being called a graduation match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Tweak posted:

I believe Taz is immune to pile drivers, a trait he passed on to his son as well.

How do you piledrive that which has no neck

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

On The Internet posted:

Can someone explain Joshi graduation? I don't watch Joshi wrestling but I like Yuka in AEW. Heard that she just graduated and curious to what that process is like. Did Riho graduate? Shida?

It just means that she's leaving the promotion. Often because they are retiring but Yuka is heading to AEW. Shida had a different situation because when she left Japan she was already freelancers. Riho did graduate from Gatoh Move, her final match was against Emi Sakura: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0RH8wLd440

I think the tradition started back in the AJW days when it was the only game in town for women's wrestling and they had a mandatory retirement age of 26. Once you hit that you were done. You graduated. AJW didn't allow the women to have boyfriends, because idol culture is loving nightmarish so you graduated & could go get married. Except you'd spent the entire developmental stage in the insane world of professional wrestling. So when JWP launched in 1986 with the joshi scene booming thanks to the Crush Gals, well, suddenly you had somewhere to go continue wrestling once you'd graduated.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

On The Internet posted:

It's a very old term in Japanese pop culture for retirement from entertainment and carries connotations of becoming a wife and mother for women/entering real life in general. IIRC mandatory retirement ages have been common across the board. especially for women's entertainers, but in Joshi the terminology undoubtedly owes something to AJW's mandatory retirement at 26.

https://twitter.com/i/events/920767520734433281?lang=en

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joshi borrows it from idol culture (pop singers and/or members of girl groups), and in Japanese the word is literally “graduation” same as graduating from high school. And yeah, now it often means leaving a promotion full-time, but it used to mean leaving to become a housewife.

There was a joke in Japan that women and Christmas cakes are both worthless after the 25th, and while that explicitly isn’t true anymore, that was the 1980s or 1990s, and that wasn’t that long ago. The echoes are still felt today.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

harperdc posted:

Joshi borrows it from idol culture (pop singers and/or members of girl groups), and in Japanese the word is literally “graduation” same as graduating from high school. And yeah, now it often means leaving a promotion full-time, but it used to mean leaving to become a housewife.

There was a joke in Japan that women and Christmas cakes are both worthless after the 25th, and while that explicitly isn’t true anymore, that was the 1980s or 1990s, and that wasn’t that long ago. The echoes are still felt today.

Yeah, I was honestly a little surprised that I believe it was Hyper Misao got married but still wrestles.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Thanks for the explanations, all! Is it normal for Joshis to stay in the same company for their entire careers? Like if they moved around from place to place would they graduate each time?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

On The Internet posted:

Thanks for the explanations, all! Is it normal for Joshis to stay in the same company for their entire careers? Like if they moved around from place to place would they graduate each time?

It's variable, like with every wrestler. Some people do their whole careers with one place, some move around.

AFAIK, as long as you're committed to a company for a decent length of time, you will get a nice sendoff (and maybe get beat up by the entire roster (or participate in an anal explosion match with your husband (DDT)) who knows?)

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 7, 2023

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Gonna need details on the anal exploding match

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

On The Internet posted:

Yes & no? I'd say that loyalty to the company you come up with (or at least the trainer you had) is pretty common in Japanese wrestling, male & female. But at the same time it's way more common than ever to jump ship. To take the example of Riho, she obviously got trained by Emi Sakura & was loyal to Ice Ribbon for years after Emi started that in '06. Then Emi fell out with the financial backers & left at the end of '11, and at the start of the next year several of the people she'd trained like Riho, Obihiro & Rey also left Ice Ribbon, Obihiro & Riho went with her to Gatoh Move, Rey ended up as a freelancer. A couple others mostly just slowed down their wrestling.

But then you also look at the current Stardom roster. There's certainly home grown talent, the likes of Mayu Iwatani, Momo Watanabe, AZM, Starlight Kid, Utami Hayashishita, but they've always been willing to add to that roster from outside the company. You look at the confirmed matches for Dream Queendom later this month & it's a real mix: Suzu Suzuki vs Maika for the red belt, Suzuki was Ice Ribbon trained & Maika was JTO/TAKA Michinoku trained, white belt match is MIRAI (TJPW) vs Saori Anou (Actwres girlZ) & then the tag title match is Hayashishita & Kamitani vs Tora & Watanabe, all originally Stardom trainees.

And sometimes when jumps happen they can be controversial. See when Giulia left Ice Ribbon for Stardom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

On The Internet posted:

Gonna need details on the anal exploding match

https://twitter.com/W_UNIVERSE2020/status/977837456601968640?s=20

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

That ruled. Thank you

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
well, yeah, but that's not the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShgRtPNfAQA

FMW, always innovating

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

To note, neither of those are the particular anal explosion match referenced!

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1608374404337266688?t=6_DCmZ_lAjDF2dN8GV8Phg&s=19

yes, that is her husband blowing up her rear end

(Ed note: seems I've misremembered this whole thing, this was an anal explosion opening ceremony, leading up to the graduation a few months later. Match is available for free with English comms, but it is a Pheromones match so ymmv, I recall liking this one, surreal in the way only DDT can manage.

https://www.wrestle-universe.com/videos/stE5SfEV1V6wZJ2oXonpR (2:17:10 is the start of the pre-match video))

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 7, 2023

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Wow, I can't believe I've been missing out on a world of rear end explosions I never knew existed! Thank you all very much

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im more surprised that it wasnt in HUSTLE

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my friend claims Xavier woods wasnt fired because of the sex tape bc he was the only one who didnt touch or get fluids on the belt that was in the video. is he fuckin with me or is there truth to that

id say hes fuckin with me but with Vince who knows

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i dont think anyone was fired directly for that

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Was Brad Maddox already on the way out when that video leaked?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is your friend fifteen years old?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

my friend claims Xavier woods wasnt fired because of the sex tape bc he was the only one who didnt touch or get fluids on the belt that was in the video. is he fuckin with me or is there truth to that

It's true

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Your friend is a dumbass, Brad Maddox was already gone from the company and Saraya was never fired either.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Besides, if you had to fire everybody who had sex on, with or while wearing a chamionship belt, you'd have to fire the whole locker room.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Invalid Validation posted:

Has there been any real big fat boys come back after a break and lost a ton of weight? Not like Bigshow slimming down after bloating out on the road, I mean like Vader losing like 200 pounds.

Not sure if he was what you'd consider a "real big fat boy" but Ric Flair is a pretty good example of that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Invalid Validation posted:

Has there been any real big fat boys come back after a break and lost a ton of weight? Not like Bigshow slimming down after bloating out on the road, I mean like Vader losing like 200 pounds.

Big Boss Man/Big Bubba got pretty heavy for a while, but then came back in pretty good shape for his run in the Corporation toward the end. I don't know if it was the best shape of his career or not but he definitely slimmed down.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah Bossman was so much skinnier when he was in the WWE in the late 90s when I saw videos of him wrestling in the late 80s/early 90s I thought it was a different guy and that the current Big Bossman was doing some kind of homage act of the guy from the 80s. It took me a long time to realize it was the same person.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

Big Boss Man/Big Bubba got pretty heavy for a while, but then came back in pretty good shape for his run in the Corporation toward the end. I don't know if it was the best shape of his career or not but he definitely slimmed down.

This reminds me, John Tenta was a lot smaller when he went back to the wwf as Golga. Or maybe it just seems like that cause he was hanging around Kurgan and Giant Silva. I dunno.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not for nothing but people really ought to check out Boss Man's tour in AJPW if they've never seen it. You've got him in there with Kobashi, he teams with Stan Hansen against Kobashi and Misawa and more than holds up his end of things. Lot of it's on YouTube.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mr. Hughes lost a ton of weight in the 90s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Great shape" is kinda relative when you consider what the WWE was encouraging people to do to get in shape. Nothing wrong with slimming down in and of itself, of course, but I doubt Bossman died of a heart attack at 41 because he didn't lose enough weight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Just Bossman going from his 80s heel run to his first face turn was an incredible drop in weight

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Not for nothing but people really ought to check out Boss Man's tour in AJPW if they've never seen it. You've got him in there with Kobashi, he teams with Stan Hansen against Kobashi and Misawa and more than holds up his end of things. Lot of it's on YouTube.

He was so loving fast and agile. As a kid I really wanted him to be made a huge deal when he came back in the late 90s. He was world champ of my figure fed, at least.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The brinkmanship between Punk and Seth over who can get the most worked shoots into their promos will lead to legitimate shoots and a pissbaby singularity that threatens to consume us all

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

He was so loving fast and agile. As a kid I really wanted him to be made a huge deal when he came back in the late 90s. He was world champ of my figure fed, at least.

I totally had a SWAT era Boss Man fig. I also had a Vince toy that didn't really look like Vince so I said he was Vinces long lost son Bob McMahon and his wrestler name was The Corporate Headhunter and he was the toughest guy in The Corporation. Sorry Boss Man.

EDIT
I found Bob

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 8, 2023

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sandman McMahon posted:

I totally had a SWAT era Boss Man fig. I also had a Vince toy that didn't really look like Vince so I said he was Vinces long lost son Bob McMahon and his wrestler name was The Corporate Headhunter and he was the toughest guy in The Corporation. Sorry Boss Man.

This rules. Little kid action figure lore is the best.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We've found the Dick Slender/Ax Duggan version of Vince. We can call him Bob Headhunter Jr.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

And you might ask yourself, "Who the gently caress hired Raven?"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gavok posted:

:laffo:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Gavok posted:

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

EDIT
I found Bob

If you changed the box this could be the toy for a random Sopranos heavy.