Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Only Harvard finance students could fund such an impressive campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Frosted Flake posted:

Varsity crew at Hamas U would be sick

Rowing a boat loaded up with AKs and frame charges

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The most oppressed people of all: Jewish students enrolled in an ivy league university half a world away from the genocide, but who might have had to endure the pain and hardship of seeing or reading the phrase "From the river to the sea" somewhere.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

DTA
DTI

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Israel publishes video of their attack on a school to show that they're doing something. The guy they're shooting at around the corner sounds like he has an M-16 pattern rifle, which means this was either a friendly fire incident or it was staged for them to look badass shooting at a wall.

Not necessarily true, al-Qassam probably fields more M16s/M4s than AKs

I mean this is their logo

Some details: - a lot of their gear is Israeli hardware
https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/17iep5l/hamas_seems_to_have_procured_a_fair_amount_of_idf/

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

FirstnameLastname posted:

what makes an ak and m16 sound different besides the size of the round? idk much about guns but i notice a consistent "brighter" report from AKs in audio of people mag dumping ak pattern rifles vs ar ones, is it doing anything differently or is it just round size/rifle body material or something

Probably the sound of the bolt carrier slamming into the rear of the rifle trunnion? AR bolt would slam into a big spring that goes all the way into the stock

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I hope Hamas blows up Wharton college

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/Kepadi/status/1733092192082632959?s=20

-Guernica, Spain

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1733185468764676163?s=20

Israel publishes video of their attack on a school to show that they're doing something. The guy they're shooting at around the corner sounds like he has an M-16 pattern rifle, which means this was either a friendly fire incident or it was staged for them to look badass shooting at a wall.

Hamas has a ton of ar-15 type rifles, and i think its the primary rifle of hezbollah as well

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

The missile that hit the car by the way, wasn't a hamas rocket, but was from the Iron Dome.

couldn't make this poo poo up if you tried

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Al! posted:

ive been things trend towards "whatever happens to isreali citizens next is just deserved" which is actually pretty worrying but would make sense to start to dehumanize an enemy that kills helpless nicu babies without mercy

diluting the definition of antisemitism and conflating it with criticism of a genocidal regime is... the present is untenable but i am also worried for what the future holds, especially for non-israeli Jews in the middle east. israel is putting them in immediate danger of violent reprisal. when it claims that its actions are "in the name of Judaism" it is demanding that they share culpability for its atrocities in the global imagination. it is deeply hosed, especially knowing that what i am describing is desirable to the ultrazionist ("see? you're not safe anywhere on earth except here")

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Antiochus The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the Maccabees would tell you. It’s a Seleucid legend. Antiochus was a King of the Seleucids, so powerful and so wise he could use the Judeum Pondum to restore foreskins… He had such a knowledge of Herophilian medicine he could even keep the ones he cared about from being circumcised. The Hellenistic side of governance is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his cultural power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he enforced his policies too strictly, and his efforts to reverse the covenant of Abraham using methods described by Celsus in De Medicina led to rebellion. Ironic. He could save others from their cultural identity, but not his empire.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zodar posted:

ultrazionist ("see? you're not safe anywhere on earth except here")

this is the most insane part of the whole thing

you're not safe anywhere on earth except here, where we just had the deadliest day for jews anywhere in the world in like 80 years, and also there are rockets falling on our cities every day

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The most oppressed people of all: Jewish students enrolled in an ivy league university half a world away from the genocide, but who might have had to endure the pain and hardship of seeing or reading the phrase "From the river to the sea" somewhere.

the jews are tiiiiiired

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

america is the land of mammon that corrupts everything it touches from the old world into vehicles of greed and misery, probably as punishment for what we did to the native americans

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1733185468764676163?s=20

Watch this closely.

The Israelis take cover behind a window looking into the room they're attacking.

Their silhouette in daylight would be fully visible to any gunmen inside.

E:

You can see in this frame that the other Israeli is casting a shadow directly onto the window.

moths has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Dec 8, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Being an American myself, I can confirm that the United States is a piece of poo poo country. Everything about this place sucks rear end.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

For those of you who aren't Spanish civil war nerds:

Guernica is a town of profound significance to the Basque nationalist movement.

During the war, the Condor legion, a German bomber unit sent to support the fascist uprising, leveled the town on a market day. 3/4 of the town ended up destroyed.

Edit: typo

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Dec 8, 2023

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

I said come in! posted:

The missile that hit the car by the way, wasn't a hamas rocket, but was from the Iron Dome.

lmao

https://x.com/oalexanderdk/status/1733126385663697092?s=46

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Dawncloack posted:

During the war, the Condor legion, a German bomber unit sent to support the fascist uprising, leveled the on a market day. 3/4 of the town ended up destroyed.

i saw children of men in the cinema and let out a gasp when i saw the one guy had this hanging next to his dinner table

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

children of men ftw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

E2M2 posted:

Probably the sound of the bolt carrier slamming into the rear of the rifle trunnion? AR bolt would slam into a big spring that goes all the way into the stock

ya that'd explain the difference, it reminds me of the diff. in exhaust notes between NA and turbocharged engines

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Antiochus The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the Maccabees would tell you. It’s a Seleucid legend. Antiochus was a King of the Seleucids, so powerful and so wise he could use the Judeum Pondum to restore foreskins… He had such a knowledge of Herophilian medicine he could even keep the ones he cared about from being circumcised. The Hellenistic side of governance is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his cultural power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he enforced his policies too strictly, and his efforts to reverse the covenant of Abraham using methods described by Celsus in De Medicina led to rebellion. Ironic. He could save others from their cultural identity, but not his empire.

:holymoley:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

They make vapes now?!?

yeah, but biden outlawed the blackberry pods

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dawncloack posted:

During the war, the Condor legion, a German bomber unit sent to support the fascist uprising, leveled the town on a market day. 3/4 of the town ended up destroyed.

Edit: typo

thats not a “Spanish civil war nerd” fact, the destruction of guernica by fascist bombing is the one thing most people know about it and the basis for one of the most famous pieces of art in the world

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

what makes an ak and m16 sound different besides the size of the round? idk much about guns but i notice a consistent "brighter" report from AKs in audio of people mag dumping ak pattern rifles vs ar ones, is it doing anything differently or is it just round size/rifle body material or something

Iirc the XM177 the SOG guys used in Vietnam had a muzzle device that made it sound like an AK, which is neat, but the more complicated answer is the energy of the gasses leaving the muzzle.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

thats not a “Spanish civil war nerd” fact, the destruction of guernica by fascist bombing is the one thing most people know about it and the basis for one of the most famous pieces of art in the world

that was my initial reaction reading the post too and then i remembered that this is completely false in 2023. people don't know poo poo about poo poo

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ELTON JOHN posted:

i saw children of men in the cinema and let out a gasp when i saw the one guy had this hanging next to his dinner table

the excellent post-nuke/escape from new york italian knockoff 2019: After the Fall of New York (1983) has a bad guy who hangs guernica behind him too:

He's an officer in the Eurac Monarchy (Euro-Afro-Asian) who have stalemated in an apocalyptic war against the Pan American Confederacy ... the Euracs are looking for the last fertile woman on earth in a bombed out NYC, and our Snake Plissken guy has been promised clemency by the PACs if he gets her before the Euracs do. Apemen, little people, rat eaters, Mad Max road warriors and a sci-fi gloss make it more entertaining than Carpenter's film imo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You have extremely high opinions of most people's knowledge of art history and history in general if you think many people know that painting or the fact that the spanish civil war happened at all.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

text editor posted:

Not necessarily true, al-Qassam probably fields more M16s/M4s than AKs

I mean this is their logo

Some details: - a lot of their gear is Israeli hardware
https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/17iep5l/hamas_seems_to_have_procured_a_fair_amount_of_idf/

We also left literal warehouses of these rifles behind after both Iraq wars

They're probably more available than the old AKs at this point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh hey the USA vetoed the UN security council vote on a ceasefire. No surprise there.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

local guy annoys the local priest/rabbi/imam with the worst questions is a good story structure.

Something about them being compelled to answer and tolerate these question by duty that is incredibly funny.

As a kid I read this comic book about Jewish folktales and the like. There was a comic there about the story of a guy who makes a bet with his friend: if he can annoy the famously tolerant Hillel the Elder, he'll make some cash. So he tries to do so by asking him weird racial questions like "why do people in Palmyra (at least I remember it being Palmyra) have slanted eyes" and "why do Ethiopians have wider feet". At the end he fails to annoy Hillel and loses the bet. The answers respectively were "because they live in the desert so it helps them keep the sand out of their eyes" and "because they live in wetlands" (I have no idea if this makes sense). He also asks another question about Babylonians to try and insult him (since Hillel was born in Babylon) but I can't remember it.

I once experienced a real life parallel as a teenager when I was out at night with a couple friends and this orthodox Jewish man was walking around, and one of us dragged everyone over to him and started poking fun at him by asking him (in a sincere tone) why jerking off isn't allowed and poo poo like that. I felt kinda bad, the guy didn't look too annoyed and was genuinely trying to answer the questions.

Halloween Jack posted:

I would actually really love to see some statistics on e.g. what percentage of the IDF is officers, the distribution at different ranks, etc. if anybody knows where to find that stuff.

FWIW the IDF released some stats earlier this year about 2001 kids , According to which:

For Jewish men:
68% enlist
Out of those, 51% are combatants and 8% become officers

For Jewish women:
55% enlist
Out of those, 12% are combatants and 8% become officers

These also came with various comparisons between different cities/regional councils/local councils and their stats. Here's one for example:

The columns for this table are, from right to left
1. The city's rank (this is a top 10 of "big" cities)
2. The city's name (number 1 is Modi'in, number 10 is Petah Tikva)
3. What percentage of the (male) population in that city enlist
4. How many of them are combatants
5. How many become of them officers
6. The city's overall score based on the previous factors

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

The 2 largest things that cause noise from guns are gas leaving the various parts of the gun at high speed (end of barrel/ejection port, etc) and the sound of a supersonic crack of a high speed round .forcing the air to rapidly compress (can't think of a better way to descttbis)

Suppressors and closed bolt guns can help capture the gas to eliminate that source of sound, but that still always leaves the supersonic crack

16in ARs push rounds at about 500 feet per second faster than AKs, different pressures= different pitches

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

sorry if youve answered this already but does isreali car insurance cover rocket strikes?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Al! posted:

sorry if youve answered this already but does isreali car insurance cover rocket strikes?

nope, act of God

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/qudsnen/status/1733221531633717534?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

That's a lot of journalists.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

punishedkissinger posted:

not much Hamas with u?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al! posted:

According to the law you're entitled to compensation if you or your property get damaged due to a "hostile activity" by an organization unfriendly to Israel.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sancho Banana posted:

According to the law you're entitled to compensation if you or your property get damaged due to a "hostile activity" by an organization unfriendly to Israel.

lol the guy who got hit by an iron dome missile is screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh hey the USA vetoed the UN security council vote on a ceasefire. No surprise there.

i hate this