Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love how all these actors had a chance to play weird, exotic, alien roles and then also be on Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Imasalmon posted:

I read an interview with Grammer, where he said they filmed TNG right next door to Frasier, so it led to a lot of cameo and guest spots.

Yeah, Cheers / Frasier and the Trek shows were basically adjacent to one another on the Paramount lot, so it was easy for Trek cast members to do guest shots, especially if it was a light work week for them on Trek and they didn't need to spend a lot of time in costuming and makeup.

The proximity is also why Grammer was able to hop in a booth on a lunch break from Frasier and record his one-line cameo as Bateson in First Contact.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

The proximity is also why Grammer was able to hop in a booth on a lunch break from Frasier and record his one-line cameo as Bateson in First Contact.

I fuckin KNEW that was actually him

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I fuckin KNEW that was actually him

Yeah it's been confirmed for decades now that that was Grammer in First Contact and that Bateson and the USS Bozeman were part of the Battle of Sector 001.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the first I’m hearing about that. I always thought it was an internet rumor.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I still liked his cameo as the captain of the ship the enterprise kept crashing into in that time loop episode

Oh yeah, that was him and his ship wasn't it

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 7, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the first I’m hearing about that. I always thought it was an internet rumor.

The Bozeman was in the First Contact expansion for the Decipher CCG, Trek tabletop gamers always knew :smugbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

In tonight's episode of DS9, "Dramatis Personae," everything was perfectly normal and nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

But if... hypothetically speaking... something were to happen, say... a power struggle between Sisko and Kira... whose side would you take? Or would you even take a side? Perhaps you'd be content to simply wait and see who comes out on top. Not the smartest play, to be frank. If you really cared about securing your place on the station, you'd decide who your friends are sooner rather than later.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Sisko, all day long.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McSpanky posted:

The Bozeman was in the First Contact expansion for the Decipher CCG, Trek tabletop gamers always knew :smugbert:
I was more talking about him doing the actual voice

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I still liked his cameo as the captain of the ship the enterprise kept crashing into in that time loop episode

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

I recommend we decompress the thread's main shuttle bay

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I recommend that Jean-Luc blow up the drat ship!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
ALL HANDS ABANDON THREAD

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Not sure if it was mentioned, I just glanced at the last few pages, but Robert Duncan McNeill's and Garrett Wong's podcast The Delta Flyers began discussing DS9 and Armin Shimerman and Terry Farrell have joined them, at least for the discussion of Emissary. I'm not sure if they're going to go through the whole series together but I just started it and it's fun to hear them together for 2+ hours reminiscing about 90's Trek.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's interesting to me that McNeill and Roxann Dawson have never been asked (or at least never accepted) to direct any episodes of the newer shows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dawson was asked, I remember reading a thing about her directing on Foundation where she mentioned it.

Dunno about McNeill but he's pretty busy these days as a producer, he might not have been able to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 7, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which main character actors became successful directors at some point during or after their stint on a show

Nimoy, Frakes, Burton, Dawson, McNeill, who else

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

PStew is an opera director that Frasier ends up inadvertently dating when a typical misunderstanding leads to Frasier being believed to be gay,

That episode is one of my favorites. PStew is just gnawing on the scenery the whole time. Surprised he didn't accidentally eat Eddie.

There's also an episode where Frasier has to do a favor for someone: get Captain Archer's autograph, in the only Enterprise reference I've ever seen in a TV show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

That episode is one of my favorites. PStew is just gnawing on the scenery the whole time. Surprised he didn't accidentally eat Eddie.

There's also an episode where Frasier has to do a favor for someone: get Captain Archer's autograph, in the only Enterprise reference I've ever seen in a TV show.

I appreciate that that episode was also just Frasier going "You know what, I enjoy this guy as a person, so gently caress it let's see where this goes." Some of the best episodes of Frasier are the ones where he just commits to the bit to try and keep a relationship going, like the one where pretends to be Jewish during Christmas to make it through the holidays with his girlfriend's mother.

It has probably the best sight gag in the whole show too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo8VxKKSkU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Chekov's Christmas Tree

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

It has probably the best sight gag in the whole show too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo8VxKKSkU

That episode is a good one.

They were hugging by now!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Spiner on Cheers:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Don't forget everyone's favorite Klingon warrior, Christopher Lloyd, was on Cheers as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Starting to wonder if someone should just start a Cheers/Frasier thread.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't forget everyone's favorite Klingon warrior, Christopher Lloyd, was on Cheers as well.

Great scott!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

davidspackage posted:

Also Kira-O'Brien's thing is kind of hot, I will not be taking questions.

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno who first made the "he puts the beige in Bajor" joke about Bareil but I'll never forget it.

I've been watching a guy react to DS9 for the first time on youtube and he is so into everything about the show, even the "bad" episodes he digs, it's very funny. He's ROOTING for Kira / Bareil.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 8, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

Now I'm wondering, based on word count, if there are more Klingon words used in the whole run of TNG or the Frasier where Noel gets back at Frasier by tricking him into thinking that the Bar Mitzvah speech he wrote in Klingon is actually Hebrew.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MillennialVulcan posted:

I've been watching a guy react to DS9 for the first time on youtube and he is so into everything about the show, even the "bad" episodes he digs, it's very funny. He's ROOTING for Kira / Bareil.

I said it before but Bareil did have some sort of weird fan club who was MAD AS gently caress he got knocked off

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Taear posted:

I said it before but Bareil did have some sort of weird fan club who was MAD AS gently caress he got knocked off

This is the funniest Trek fact possible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“Vedic Bareil fancam” would be a good trek bbs username

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Funny because the episode where he was knocked off was easily his best one

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Bariel almost had his brain replaced with a robot and was dangerously to getting an actual personality

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Unfortunately they had to scrap the storyline where he became RoboKai and brought Captain Jellico to justice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Richard Arnold confirmed it in a 1997 issue of Star Trek Communicator.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Missed watching an episode of DS9 yesterday, so the plan was to watch two tonight to make up for skipping a day.

I say "was" because I just finished watching "Duet," and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to immediately watch whatever is next in line after it, because that's gonna be one hell of a tough act to follow.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's no Duet but it's pretty good

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

W.T. Fits posted:

Missed watching an episode of DS9 yesterday, so the plan was to watch two tonight to make up for skipping a day.

I say "was" because I just finished watching "Duet," and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to immediately watch whatever is next in line after it, because that's gonna be one hell of a tough act to follow.

Duet is not just one of the best DS9 episodes, I think it's one of the best Star Trek episodes. It's a brilliant example of what this whole thing is about.

The next episode is the season 1 finale, and it's actually pretty good. But your instinct is correct. Let Duet digest for a bit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Powered Descent posted:

Duet is not just one of the best DS9 episodes, I think it's one of the best Star Trek episodes. It's a brilliant example of what this whole thing is about.

The next episode is the season 1 finale, and it's actually pretty good. But your instinct is correct. Let Duet digest for a bit.

I think I will. As I was sitting down to watch it, I was thinking to myself, "Okay, this is the one they keep mentioning as being really good in the Classic Trek thread, let's see if it can live up to that."

Yeah. It lived up to that, and then some. That was some powerful stuff.

So I'll watch the end of Season 1 and the start of Season 2 tomorrow to make up for the missed day yesterday. But for now... I'm just going to sit here and think about what I just watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah the end of season 1 leads into a trilogy of episodes and it's loving phenomenal, honestly one of my favorite parts of DS9 overall. Definitely the right call to pause after Duet so you can sprint through the end of season 1 and the opening of season 2.