Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

duckdealer posted:

Craig is good. Not a big Keenan guy though personally.

How is everyone's training going lately?

Coming back after light knee injury. Mobility is back, strength still lacking. Probably head back to judo in January.

Edit: also got me one of those anaconda knee braces. I dont know if its actually helping but having a knee pad that doesnt slide is game changing. Ive never really been one for knee cuts and shots, because I never liked the impact on the knee, but with this I feel invincible.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

duckdealer posted:

Been good! I finally have a bit of confidence back in the toe, six months after surgery and thinking I might do my next comp (first at blue belt :gonk:) in March. I've really been trying to work sweeps from open half and butterfly half lately and it's been a heap of fun

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm still out here flubbing basic Judo techniques, but indefinably improving in stand up nonetheless. I opened my big mouth and said I'd go to the local BJJ tournament feb. 24th and now, horrors of horrors, I have to actually address the fact that I'm out of shape and overweight, bleh.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

duckdealer posted:

Working in a school has gotten me sick again so it's.coming up on like 3 weeks off... I've only seriously trained for like 2 months cause I keep getting sick 😭

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm still out here flubbing basic Judo techniques, but indefinably improving in stand up nonetheless. I opened my big mouth and said I'd go to the local BJJ tournament feb. 24th and now, horrors of horrors, I have to actually address the fact that I'm out of shape and overweight, bleh.

Same, but my tournament is on January 27th.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm still out here flubbing basic Judo techniques

Sounds like judo to me!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I had another Bokh session, and among several things to work on, I realize I'm not great at pairing my arm movements for grip breaks and unbalancing. That is, if I'm trying to rip one hand back, I frequently benefit from pushing the other hand forward to accelerate/exaggerate the effect. Now it makes sense why those pummeling drills are so fundamental.

Coming from striking, it's certainly less intimidating to have so many things in front of me that I have to improve on. Just knowing I did it in one sport helps me understand the pace I'm working at to get better.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Finally back on a consistent training schedule again after several months of travel, illness, etc. Haven't felt motivated to focus on anything in particular while training, but I do seem to be magically catching reverse armbars all of a sudden even though that's something I've never really worked on or thought much about from an offensive standpoint.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
been watching a bit more high level competition footage which makes me feel better about how hard wrestling someone down or passing someone's guard can be,

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

starkebn posted:

been watching a bit more high level competition footage which makes me feel better about how hard wrestling someone down or passing someone's guard can be,

Yeah, I watched some high level judo and noticed a lot of times people try a throw and nothing happens. And that made it feel better when I try a throw and nothing happens.

Edit: Been sick and sleep deprived, so I've not trained since Saturday. Last week's training was good though lol.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My daughter lost all 3 of her matches because her willingness to go to her back too easily, however her ability to break posture from a standing position was on point. It will be a learning curve for both of us. :frogdunce:

The hazy memories that I have long ago of one of my teammates transitioning from bjj to wrestling (for high school) was that:

1) you never want to go to your back, which is a hard habit to break; and
2) if you can end up in the guard of your opponent, you've basically won. (which is a real forehead slap moment when you realize).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

duckdealer posted:

I've tried to talk to Keenan a couple of times about tournament stuff when I have seen him at events and hes always been a little unapproachable.

Training is going good. Despite still being the FNG at my gym here in the Northeast, I'm starting to become part of the crew. I think helping to teach a class brought some cohesion and a sense of where I come from in my jiu jitsu. Being an upper belt in a new gym is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing in that guys will look to you for guidance on concepts, and a curse in that everyone wants to kick my rear end :P

I'm loving the Nogi class which is taught by a really good black belt. Lots of leg lock concepts I've been lacking in my training.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

idk how my training is going right now. I'm in a low-morale ebb I guess. Jits I'm not really getting any coaching and spending a lot of time helping new white belts with the same poo poo I've helped new white belts with a million times and I'm kinda sick of it. Judo I'm feeling old and slow and getting tossed around by super athletic orange belts who are just way faster than me, plus our regional Judo organization has a ridiculous boner for extraneous paperwork rn and I kinda makes me want to face god and walk backwards into hell.

I did Gerby someone almost to unconsciousness (he didn't realize he was being choked until he was on the edge of going out and had to sit out the remaining 3 minutes of the round) last week so land of contrasts I guess.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What is a Gerby?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

https://youtu.be/FzFFYj-6NDU?si=jrG5szjMmtNLHoqS

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

What is a Gerby?

Presumably the YouTube link explains it but tldr it's basically a Peruvian necktie with the end of Tori's lapel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's a pervert move

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

It's a pervert move

Did you learn this move from Craig Jones? :D

edit: nm he doesnt train in the gi VVV

Now Im wondering where else you can hit this from (besides turtle).

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 7, 2023

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Isn’t it basically the same thing as a canto choke from guard?

Also you can do a version from top side control.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

I do this variation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Isn’t it basically the same thing as a canto choke from guard?

Is the Canto choke with the attacker's gi? I just watched a video of him demoing with Bernardo and it just looked like a loop choke from a different angle, using Bernardo's gi and supported by a leg.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

CommonShore posted:

idk how my training is going right now. I'm in a low-morale ebb I guess. Jits I'm not really getting any coaching and spending a lot of time helping new white belts with the same poo poo I've helped new white belts with a million times and I'm kinda sick of it.

I'm sure this isn't news to you, but it could be for someone else reading. There comes a time you just have to take improvement into your own hands. Just think of something in your game you want to do better at and start learning about it. Talk to your coach or teammates directly about that thing if you can or watch some instructionals. Then either tell your rolling partners you want to work on those concepts, or if they're a lot lower skill than you, work your way there every roll.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Personally, at the moment I'm just trying to maintain fun while rolling. The only other goal I have is to try and stop getting pulled too deep into other people's attacks. I can often notice stuff is going poorly for me but don't really do anything to get out until it's too late. I want to get better at escaping things before they even become a problem.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Is the Canto choke with the attacker's gi? I just watched a video of him demoing with Bernardo and it just looked like a loop choke from a different angle, using Bernardo's gi and supported by a leg.

Yeah Canto is not using the Gi, but I also dont see why you couldnt set this up with the lapel like butros was talking about. I like it!

starkebn posted:

Personally, at the moment I'm just trying to maintain fun while rolling.

The most important thing. Sometimes we lose sight on the fact that for most of us, this is a hobby.

I had a lot of fun the other night in Nogi. I just decided I was going to try a bunch of experimental poo poo and see where it got me. At one point I got into a standing ankle lock with my teammate and he laughed and was like "you can do that??".

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 8, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had fun at jkits last night. I've given myself the mission not to get armbarred, ever. I did well last night, but got caught once in a rear triangle armbar by a brown belt - survived the black belt.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Ok, I found a new source of motivation. There's a white belt who seems to have become so offended by me rolling with him without using my hands (as I often do with white belts now if I feel like working on my open guard) that he complained about it to our head instructor, who naturally found his frustration hilarious. I'm gonna make it my mission to hit him with every flashy and/or BS move I can think of until he learns to appreciate the absurdity that's possible when there's such a big experience gap between two people*. Gonna start with this one, but I'm happy to take any additional suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJggLAD7tM

*he's also a cop, so knocking him down a few pegs is basically a moral imperative

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
If he taps start yelling STOP RESISTING!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Sherbert Hoover posted:

If he taps start yelling STOP RESISTING!

:emptyquote:

The thing that I find the most morale busting is always gonna be when the higher belt just effortlessly plays catch and release on like fifteen different rapid fire submissions. They'll take my back, get a choke and just as my hand comes up to tap they'll let go and switch to an armbar, then climb into mount, etc etc

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Oh yeah, every cop I roll with already gets the "STOP RESISTING" kimura if RATM is on the speakers, that's just automatic. Bonus points if you get both arms at once!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

No hand scissor sweeping fresh white belts never gets old and I can’t even imagine the satisfaction of doing it to a cop.

Make sure next time he complains you pull out the “I’ll stop doing it when you stop letting me.”

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

duckdealer posted:

I only started in August, but after hitting it hard for a month or 2 I really slowed down in my training. Life/work/several kids extra-curriculars etc. I was showing up once every couple of weeks.

It's going good now, I'm back to at least once a week now. Twice a week would be great but not always possible.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I opened my big mouth and said I'd go to the local BJJ tournament feb. 24th and now, horrors of horrors, I have to actually address the fact that I'm out of shape and overweight, bleh.

I've wanted to try a competition, but also the weight thing. As a 5'7" guy, I'd like to compete closer to the weight division I *should* be at so I'm less likely to have the 6'8" opponent.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My straight ankle locks were getting a lot better apparently, and last month 3 of the black belts and one of the brown belts all decided to spend a bunch of time with me improving them.

They went from "a hail Mary that sometimes lead to a sweep or sub" to "If I grab your ankle and you don't immediately pull it out you're in trouble"

Specifically learning a new finish using the Aoki lock grip instead of grabbing my own lapel, butterfly ashi instead of single leg X and bracing their heel on my ribcage and finishing by flexing my shoulder blades instead of arching my back made the finish come so much easier in more places.

My goal for last month was actually to practice my guard passing, but instead I learned more footsie. Whoops.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BounceBanana posted:

I only started in August, but after hitting it hard for a month or 2 I really slowed down in my training. Life/work/several kids extra-curriculars etc. I was showing up once every couple of weeks.

It's going good now, I'm back to at least once a week now. Twice a week would be great but not always possible.

I've wanted to try a competition, but also the weight thing. As a 5'7" guy, I'd like to compete closer to the weight division I *should* be at so I'm less likely to have the 6'8" opponent.

You probably won't get The Big Show at a local comp. The HW division is usually other fat guys at the local/hobbyist level.

Source: 5'9" 285lbs have competed a few times

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

L0cke17 posted:

My straight ankle locks were getting a lot better apparently, and last month 3 of the black belts and one of the brown belts all decided to spend a bunch of time with me improving them.

They went from "a hail Mary that sometimes lead to a sweep or sub" to "If I grab your ankle and you don't immediately pull it out you're in trouble"

Specifically learning a new finish using the Aoki lock grip instead of grabbing my own lapel, butterfly ashi instead of single leg X and bracing their heel on my ribcage and finishing by flexing my shoulder blades instead of arching my back made the finish come so much easier in more places.

My goal for last month was actually to practice my guard passing, but instead I learned more footsie. Whoops.

The tip that Imanari gave at the seminar segments he did on the Aoki lock was palm on your hip bone - high hand feels right when you're doing it, but low hand is broken bones.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

You probably won't get The Big Show at a local comp. The HW division is usually other fat guys at the local/hobbyist level.

Depends on the local. In Atlanta there's a few freak shows in the higher weight divisions, not to mention dudes travel here even for smaller less prestigious stuff.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CommonShore posted:

The tip that Imanari gave at the seminar segments he did on the Aoki lock was palm on your hip bone - high hand feels right when you're doing it, but low hand is broken bones.

Is there a picture or link to this you can share? I'm not sure I follow from that description.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

Is there a picture or link to this you can share? I'm not sure I follow from that description.

Same.

I used to have a pretty mean footlock (hand high/north version) but have let it atrophy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll try again I'll see if I can do it with words

A classic "Dean Lister" style footlock/achilles lock involves a guillotine grip on the foot, and if we're doing a very stiff version, often that's going to be attacking arm with the palm in and we often want the forearm of the attacking arm as high as possible and perpendicular to our own spine when attacking, so shrugging and the hand of that attacking arm goes on the sternum and is reinforced by the other arm. The attacker's weight goes down into the foot via the arm pit, shearing down across the forearm under the achilles, with some other variations within that for different versions. This tends to produce a forceful tearing pain in the ankle and a crushing/folding experience in the foot and toes.

What Imanari had us do for the "Aoki" style one, with the slipping heel, is instead have that arm drop 45 degrees or so, by reaching across our body toward our far hip bone (i.e. attacking w/ right arm, reaching for own left hip), producing a more horizontal pressure instead of the mostly vertical core breaking action of the Lister lock. This means that the knuckle of the big toe of the targeted foot gets anchored in the armpit, kind of on the ribs, and the heel gets dragged in the other direction across the attacker's body, shearing the ankle with a hypersupination, made worse by the torso turns, looking over the shoulder etc. This tends to produce a very localized, very sharp, stabbing pain in the ankle.

If that description doesn't work I'll see if I can find my notebook where I drew some diagrams when I was at the seminar.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah maybe not. Hopefully the only one is the one at my gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Don't compete if you don't want to, it's not a requirement