Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Durf posted:

here's a fun image I saw today. ridings displayed via representation instead of real estate

Alberta and the praries matched by the maritimes and the GTA alone lol

I'd like to know more about the New Brunswick greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Durf posted:

here's a fun image I saw today. ridings displayed via representation instead of real estate

Alberta and the praries matched by the maritimes and the GTA alone lol

Looks like a map from Super Metroid

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

It takes some real gumption to proclaim that replacing 2 floors of dilapidated housing and fast food joints with 60 stories of housing has no benefit in a housing crisis.

Whenever I see some tweet-length call to action regarding housing development I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to interpret it. Like the developers who want to put up condos no locals can afford that will all be bought by speculators and landlords are making the same arguments as people genuinely concerned about housing affordability (but obviously with different intent)

It's confusing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
those "2 floors of dilapidated housing" are affordable. the hypothetical 60 stories of new units will not be. we know this.

tearing down lived in affordable housing to build investment vehicles for speculators and landlords is not in fact solving the housing crisis.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fire talk: Many korean highrises just have one stairwell but every unit will have a "descending lifeline" and hook.

Which is like, sure better than not having one, but I am an able-bodied adult and I am not at all confident I could rappel down a highrise in an emergency. but there's an idea canadian developers can use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
badass

do you get to do drills on it?

just imagining tiny korean grannies rappelling down the side of a building

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

infernal machines posted:

badass

do you get to do drills on it?

just imagining tiny korean grannies rappelling down the side of a building

I don't think so! I hope if I ever need to use it there are at least instructions inside.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's just frustrating because I feel like Canadians have so internalized this logic that the Big Government getting in the way of Business is the only reason things don't happen, and getting rid of any public authority is the only way things can.

I hope anticommunism was worth it.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

those "2 floors of dilapidated housing" are affordable. the hypothetical 60 stories of new units will not be. we know this.

A 225 sqft bachelor apartment above a pizza place and (sorry DaysBefore) a passable Chinese restaurant is $1400/ month though. We’re cooked if that’s what counts as affordable.

Hubbert posted:

I'd like to know more about the New Brunswick greens.

Jenica Atwin was elected as a Green Party MP in 2019 for Fredericton (first ever outside BC), and crossed the floor to the Libs in 2021.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Dec 8, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we are cooked, and that's still more affordable than those 500 sq. ft. condos are going to be in any of our lifetimes.

if you live in one, and you have rent controlled rent, odds are you're paying a bit less than market rate, which helps too.

idk about NS, but here in ontario, rent control doesn't apply to properties built or significantly renovated after november 15, 2018. meaning not only are new construction condos not affordable as rentals, they will remain perpetually so, and the rents can be raised arbitrarily.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Which means they will be

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they are.

i know someone managing a number of rental condos for an investment fund that raised the rates $800-$1000 on $2200 a month units as soon as the pandemic rent control restrictions ended.

this is the poo poo we're building for, and this is why it's not solving a loving thing.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

The only time we’ve had rent control in my adult life in this fake province has been since COVID and it’s a “temporary rental increase cap”, which just means every landlord has switched to fixed-term leases so they can force tenants out annually.

For comparisons sake I had a pretty nice bachelor when I moved here for $695 that was most recently listed last year for $1750.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

they are.

i know someone managing a number of rental condos for an investment fund that raised the rates $800-$1000 on $2200 a month units as soon as the pandemic rent control restrictions ended.

this is the poo poo we're building for, and this is why it's not solving a loving thing.

But what if we gave more money to developers? Surely if they had enough money, they would decide to do less profitable things, instead of ... making even more money?

:thunk:

Where is this idea that they need to be satiated coming from?

ElehemEare posted:

For comparisons sake I had a pretty nice bachelor when I moved here for $695 that was most recently listed last year for $1750.

Yes, but have you considered that every MBA learns that inflation is bad because wages keep going up? There's inflation, so not only do people have money that needs to be shaken out of them, doing so is actually a social good and prevents the greater evil of.. something?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think the theory is that inflation motivates me to do stuff with my money because a big pile of it will lose value if I don't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Blaming all of our social ills on foreigners, seems... less than ideal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIaZ7W5WJE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cool cool cool. Good country.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

on the other hand it seems to have worked for all of human history

for rich fuckers anyway

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

The ancestors tell stories about living indoors, even inside the Miniums, those sacred obelisks of power. they say that before the Great Development, people lived in all kinds of structures. Fools, imbeciles! Every day I thank our gods for the Miniums as I live in their glorious shadows. To outsiders they look empty and useless, but to us northerners they are towers full of dreams. Some say we might live in them once again, but others say it is impossible without defiling them with "doors" and "stairwells"

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Our clan marches under the banner of the Double Flaming Stairwell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey, check it out, someone doing something actually useful to develop "deeply affordable" housing. weirdly there's no mention of sloppy blowjobs for developers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Durf posted:

on the other hand it seems to have worked for all of human history

for rich fuckers anyway

It goes back to the cause-effect thing.

On the one hand, you need a BA to stay in the middle class. Skilled trades pay well, and Canadians pretend they're class blind, but, whatever, those are not professions and everyone knows it. (See: A Sense of Their Duty: Middle-Class Formation in Victorian Ontario Towns)

On the other hand, tuition has loving skyrocketed, even as a degree gets you less. I know a Boomer with a BA in Recreation who got a job for one of the Big Six out of university in the 70's. Not to disparage what seems like it was a really cool program, and back when cities and school boards actually had money in Recreation, but you need a BSc in Mailroom Science today to get an entry level job that will absolutely not take you to the boardroom.

Okay, so at the same time, the universities are addicted to foreign student money. This ties in to their administrations growing at a geometric (?) rate.

Finally, companies love hiring foreign students. Partly because the Canadian middle class can not longer reproduce itself, but also this is a cause of that too, so it's a bit muddled.

So here are all of these decisions, made in Canada, by Canadians, and the "solution" is to punish... the 20 year old kids who were invited here and are trying to get an education?

UWO famously changed their name from University of Western Ontario to Western University (wink wink) to entice foreign students recruited abroad.

jfc

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Frosted Flake posted:

ah yes housing is too expesive because some dude paid $10,000 to move here to study accounting and now he lives in a hallway with 7 other guys. it's that guy's fault

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
if ohtani goes to the blue jays i'm going to love baseball again just like i did when roberto alomar spat in the face of an umpire

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
:350:

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1733163657968722429

Only acceptable if this is the same field from the football meme.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

:350:

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1733163657968722429

Only acceptable if this is the same field from the football meme.

I assumed it was already named after him since it has "coke" in the name

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Square Peg posted:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Square Peg posted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its etobicoke not etobicrack

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

fisting by many posted:

fire talk: Many korean highrises just have one stairwell but every unit will have a "descending lifeline" and hook.

Which is like, sure better than not having one, but I am an able-bodied adult and I am not at all confident I could rappel down a highrise in an emergency. but there's an idea canadian developers can use

Two words:

Zip lines

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Broke: my l*xury condo's elevators
Woke: ziplining from my 50th floor balcony (safely [wearing a helmet][check out more DIY zipline tips on my tiktok])

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PhilippAchtel posted:

Two words:

Zip lines

we already did that goon project, though I guess it would dovetail nicely with maid

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

PhilippAchtel posted:

Looks like a map from Super Metroid

Mother Brain has got my vote! Her solution to the housing crisis is so much more direct than those lukewarm policies Kraid has to offer...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

fisting by many posted:

in Japan every place I’ve lived has a trap door with a ladder on the balcony

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'm under the impression that the reason we're not constantly hearing about Germans dying in apartment blocks on fire is because there is a second egress, which is a fire truck with a ladder that is long enough to get to the top floor of a 6 story building.

So I have no idea if our own fire trucks are also capable of this, but if not the solution is to buy some that can do this. I suppose if the Province doesn't look into the whole "fire department needs upgrades" thing yea there's a possibility that this is gonna cause deaths, but otherwise it shouldn't.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Square Peg posted:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I hate to break it to you but everyone in Germany is dead of condo fires.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't think some of you understand how deeply silly the 2 stairwells rule can be in small buildings.

I used to live in a building like this. Total of 4 floors. 15 units (one of the ground floor spaces was occupied by the laundry room and storerooms). In a fire the 3 remaining ground floor units could evacuate through their patio doors. (Honestly most able bodied people on the first floor could probably get from their balcony to the ground too, and they were mostly able bodied because there was no elevator.) So 12 units using the stairs. These buildings were all 1 or 2 bedroom units, so an absolute maximum of 4 people per unit, usually fewer. No more than 48 people trying to evacuate at one time, which could easily be done with a single staircase.

We eventually had to leave because my mom could no longer manage the stairs. If instead of 2 stairwells it had been 1 stairwell and 1 elevator that would have been a great quality of life improvement for the residents.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

gee golly gosh darn it, we wanted to build affordable housing, but we just can't make ends meet with two stairwells

I suspect the reason that the BC NDP is exploring this is because this quote is probably something not ironically said by non-profit developers.

At this point with sky high interest rates and construction costs, even non-profits are finding it unviable to build anything, even when the government gives them help.

That's the biggest reason to find ways to loosen regs and drive down the cost of housing. It helps non profits stretch a dollar and make more affordable non-profit housing.

If it helps for-profits too who cares tax them ruthlessly on the back end and funnel that money back into non-profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol just saw on twitter a local builder musing about what may be possible with BC's new 6 plex upzoning. You can see here the absolutely nonsense useless double stairs.

https://vxtwitter.com/Lanefab/status/1733320625035583809?s=20