Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doing the historical clone quest, which is an ok enough concept but

at one point FDR refers to his faction as the believers for some reason

there's a spelling error in the dialogue

it seems like each faction should have had it's own base further away from each other and that was changed

I did the compromise between the pragmatists and believers, but a couple minutes after killing Genghis the believers started attacking me out of nowhere

also after getting a super power I am prompted to talk to Coe, and he acts like he was there when it happened and the others weren't. he was not there. seems like all the constellation companions just word vomit their response as if they were there when the story beat happened? that poo poo happened weeks ago

god drat it's still just like an oblivion expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I let him live and after that I occasionally ran into him pirating ships. Can you get any actual companions out of that besides Amelia Earhart?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Based on the long gameplay clips they've been showing Skywind might actually, for real, come out in 2024, and it's going to be very embarrassing for BSG if the trailers are accurate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So. Is it worth buying, even on sale? Sounds pretty rote and lifeless a la Fallout 4.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

So. Is it worth buying, even on sale? Sounds pretty rote and lifeless a la Fallout 4.

Imagine fallout 4 is a restaurant before covid. Starfield is that restaurant after covid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's more about your time than the cost. I didn't pay anything and wouldn't recommend it. At the same time, glad I saw it for myself so I didn't have any lingering curiosity. You can truly get a feel for what the game will be like within the first hour or 2 if you wanted to do a steam 2 hour refund rental.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Even some of the usual bethesda mod creators have said on discord that they'll "probably" get to it eventually but they currently have no motivation to play or mod the game. I imagine once Maxie finishes their material compiler some of that malaise will mysteriously vanish, but watching the coding discords has been fairly grim this time around

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm a big Fallout and Elder Scrolls fan and I'm enjoying Starfield very much despite the valid criticisms. It scratches my Bethesda itch very well and I'm happily working my way through my second playthrough. Working on storylines I didn't do the first time, stumbling across new sidequests, etc. I haven't even touched companions yet; I typically play all the Bethesda games as a stealthy lone wolf.

I give the game a B right now; I just wish the Xbox crashes were eliminated.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's considerably more lifeless than Fallout 4

It's like they made a Bethesda game without any semblance of personality. They also sanded all the edges off so it lacks a lot of the wildcat fun of goofing with broken mechanics and systems.

It's fine, but it's probably more of a $20 GOTY edition with all the DLC fine.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 9, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

infernal machines posted:

The companions being so much worse really hurts this too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

socialsecurity posted:

The companions being so much worse really hurts this too.

Especially since they all have 78000 loyalty levels so every time you do anything it's all

DO YOU HAVE A MOMENT TO TALK :byodame:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

It's more about your time than the cost. I didn't pay anything and wouldn't recommend it. At the same time, glad I saw it for myself so I didn't have any lingering curiosity. You can truly get a feel for what the game will be like within the first hour or 2 if you wanted to do a steam 2 hour refund rental.

Agreed with the first part, disagreed with the second. The game grabbed me hard at first by throwing me at the one quest that was well put together and then had me chasing the dragon thinking it would be good again for a while.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Azhais posted:

Even some of the usual bethesda mod creators have said on discord that they'll "probably" get to it eventually but they currently have no motivation to play or mod the game. I imagine once Maxie finishes their material compiler some of that malaise will mysteriously vanish, but watching the coding discords has been fairly grim this time around

Bethesda also just reopened the 'paid mods' wound by pushing an update to Skyrim Special Edition that rebranded the Creation Club to Creations, which puts paid mods and free stuff into one big bag. On top of that, people were complaining that it also somehow broke scripts for at least a few popular mods or load organizers.

In summary, now's probably not a great time to talk about mods.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hawowanlawow posted:

doing the historical clone quest, which is an ok enough concept but

at one point FDR refers to his faction as the believers for some reason

there's a spelling error in the dialogue

it seems like each faction should have had it's own base further away from each other and that was changed

I did the compromise between the pragmatists and believers, but a couple minutes after killing Genghis the believers started attacking me out of nowhere

That mission is just buggy as poo poo for some reason. Despite the various combinations of dialogue options that suggest otherwise, someone will always be hostile at the end of the negotiations, even if their responses up to that point aren't

In the process of doing the mission where you go to get the terminal password I somehow racked up 11 murders. Apparently somewhere in the half dozen places they route you through to find the loving thing there are at least 11 unaligned NPCs I managed to shoot despite only engaging in the mission.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

It's like they made a Bethesda game without any semblance of personality. They also sanded all the edges off so it lacks a lot of the wildcat fun of goofing with broken mechanics and systems.

It's fine, but it's probably more of a $20 GOTY edition with all the DLC fine.

But it never won GOTY, so that version will never exist, alas.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are you joking or do games actually have to win a literal goty award somewhere in order to say that? i thought it was just a marketing thing, especially since there are usually many games released in a given year that end up with a "goty edition"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
In some countries that could count as false marketing and could possibly cause trouble with competition and consumer agency. Not sure about the US. Or of it any government agencies would bother with following something like that up especially considering how BS a lot of awards are.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

are you joking or do games actually have to win a literal goty award somewhere in order to say that? i thought it was just a marketing thing, especially since there are usually many games released in a given year that end up with a "goty edition"

I remember when games at least did have a list of all the awards they won on their GOTY edition- I think the DX box is where I first heard about BAFTA when I was like 12. Now though it’s definitely just shorthand for “game+some/maaaaybe all the DLC”.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Its very easy to have a GOTY edition because theres nowhere that says who has to say its game of the year, somewhere out there somebody has said it so find it and slap it on the box, easy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where's my Daikatana GOTY edition

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

im not sure we can entirely depend on bethsoft's idea of "fun". sounds like meters to manage yes but it would at least force you to land to refuel and take a look around

which is what survival mode in fallout 4 is and it winds up making the base game funner.

Yeah, no, one thing Bethesda doesn't do is reactivity.

Instead, no one will ever acknowledge the hundreds of pirates you've killed or the fact that you wiped out the entire fleet in the system in the Mantis' space ship.

Tangentially related, remember when faction armour was a thing? And yet, somehow, dressing head to toe in Pirate gear doesn't make a lick of difference and they'll still open fire on me at a hundred yards.

Faction armor was only a thing in FNV. Its odd you say the game doesn't have reactivity because roaming around in the mantis' ship specifically spooks spacers - doing the CF questline seriously gimps the game because a third of intended hostiles are now just buddies. Fallout 4 had the thing where doing settlement quests specifically let you have hangout spots and resupply depots as you progressed into the game with occasional caravans patrolling between them.

Its clear that they took a lot of inspiration from FNV in later games but they focused more on mechanical additions instead of a story blurb.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 9, 2023

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The mantis ship spooking spacers is terrible, reactivity wise. When I was doing the CF storyline I’d hear people in the key constantly talking about how they’d love to get their hands on the Mantis.

I was in the Mantis armor, and arrived in their ship, which is the only ship in the game that anyone recognizes. It wouldn’t have annoyed me at all if it wasn’t for the fact that there is only one ship in the entire game people recognize and that recognition is exclusively siloed to some random encounters despite there being other places where it should be recognized. Either have it or don’t, the half-measures this game takes are so loving annoying.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The mantis ship spooking spacers is terrible, reactivity wise. When I was doing the CF storyline I’d hear people in the key constantly talking about how they’d love to get their hands on the Mantis.

I was in the Mantis armor, and arrived in their ship, which is the only ship in the game that anyone recognizes. It wouldn’t have annoyed me at all if it wasn’t for the fact that there is only one ship in the entire game people recognize and that recognition is exclusively siloed to some random encounters despite there being other places where it should be recognized. Either have it or don’t, the half-measures this game takes are so loving annoying.

This, specifically, is a thing I'm complaining about.

"You're the Mantis, feared pirate hunter, but only in random encounters" is not actually that fun of a mechanic. They made the decision not to prevent the player from engaging in the CF content while dressed as the Mantis/using the Mantis ship, intentionally. Just like how there's "faction armour" except it exists only in maybe two places in the entire game, you never actually try to use the mechanic because it's not implemented anywhere outside of these little scripted mission segments. There are a bunch of bits and pieces of mechanics that are sort of half there, but then implemented in the narrowest possible way, or only in very specific scripted set-pieces, rather than the game as a whole.

And to Tankbuster's point, joining the CF gimps the game by actually being a faction member. It doesn't matter what outfit you wear, you're now a friend to pirates everywhere for the duration of the quest line. This makes no sense whatsoever, but is implemented because they simplified the faction mechanics.

Also, re: faction armour, stuff like the ghoul mask existed in FO3, and IIRC FO4 had an equivalent too, mechanically it was there even if it wasn't used.

e: I've played the game quite a bit, I've enjoyed it well enough, but I find it frustrating the number of things they've omitted that have been done in previous games. Even the outpost system, which in FO4 at least gave some sense of progression, a feeling that you were maybe reclaiming the wasteland and helping rebuild, is absent except for the literal outpost itself. It doesn't do anything or connect with anything outside of building the outpost.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 9, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
because all of the major issues apart from the dogshit exploration loop were specifically made because of the complaints in fallout 4. Outposts are even more vestigial because people were forced to use it in 4 and didn't like it to complain about it. Turns out a lot of complaints would be worthless for the games they were making. They should have come out with a survival mode at least. Fallout 4 scooted by with a really stylized world but thiss specifically down-to-earth sci fi aesthetic doesn't lend itself to that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Not right now. But check again in a year, it might be really good after Bethesda releases the creation kit and we get a bunch of mods

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If they understand the situation properly, at least the first DLC should be free. So it will be $59.99 and billed as a half-quel

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

that article posted:

2023 has turned out to be the year of Baldur's Gate 3, RPG-wise at least, and it's easy to forget that no-one expected it to be this way. Many including myself expected the biggest and best game of the year to be Bethesda's much-anticipated Starfield
Why on earth would anyone ever expect that?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Scherloch posted:

Why on earth would anyone ever expect that?

Hmm yes what kind of fool would have thought

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Coldforge posted:

Hmm yes what kind of fool would have thought

Expecting it to sell well and take attention away from your own product is not the same as expecting it to be "the best game of the year."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starfield absolutely had a hilariously cartoonish amount of hype prior to coming out. Both Microsoft and Sony were looking to get it exclusive on their systems. People were hyping it as the easy GotY this year. It was insane how much buildup was around it. People were buying $100 bundles to play the game early. It's kind of rewriting history to pretend people weren't expecting it to be great.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Starfield absolutely had a hilariously cartoonish amount of hype prior to coming out. Both Microsoft and Sony were looking to get it exclusive on their systems. People were hyping it as the easy GotY this year. It was insane how much buildup was around it. People were buying $100 bundles to play the game early. It's kind of rewriting history to pretend people weren't expecting it to be great.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E oop

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was hyped, BSG had made many of my favorites games. Even vanilla Fallout 4, which I didn't think was great in a lot of ways, was still something I enjoyed much, much more than Starfield. My main concern going into the game was "will this fail to rise above Fallout4"; I wouldn't have bet it'd be noticeably worse.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea, personally im not a big fan of f4 but i enjoyed skyrim and loved morrowind, and oblivion had its moments too.

i wasnt expecting starfield to blow me away but i thought there was a chance it could be pretty good, maybe even great with mods. i was expecting some of the usual bethesda shoddiness of course but i honestly didnt think it would be this bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's weird because it feels like you can see the outline of something cool that just isn't actually in the game. Mostly what is there feels like a rough draft, except it's in the final game, after a year's delay.

There are a lot of bits and pieces I enjoyed, but nothing really cohesive and no consistency to the quality of the quests.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It's weird because it feels like you can see the outline of something cool that just isn't actually in the game. Mostly what is there feels like a rough draft, except it's in the final game, after a year's delay.

There are a lot of bits and pieces I enjoyed, but nothing really cohesive and no consistency to the quality of the quests.

This is why it’s such a frustrating game to play. You can see they could have made a good game but just didn’t. The UC Vanguard quest is what the whole game really should have been and it’s loving incredible a large side quest is the only thing in the game that feels like it matters at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This, specifically, is a thing I'm complaining about.

"You're the Mantis, feared pirate hunter, but only in random encounters" is not actually that fun of a mechanic. They made the decision not to prevent the player from engaging in the CF content while dressed as the Mantis/using the Mantis ship, intentionally. Just like how there's "faction armour" except it exists only in maybe two places in the entire game, you never actually try to use the mechanic because it's not implemented anywhere outside of these little scripted mission segments. There are a bunch of bits and pieces of mechanics that are sort of half there, but then implemented in the narrowest possible way, or only in very specific scripted set-pieces, rather than the game as a whole.

Also, similar to this, the early quest where they tell you to power down your ship to sneak by the Va’Ruun… which isn’t a mechanic in the actual game because you’re always getting attacked from when you jump in.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, similar to this, the early quest where they tell you to power down your ship to sneak by the Va’Ruun… which isn’t a mechanic in the actual game because you’re always getting attacked from when you jump in.

God me I've had that 8 hour video essay on in the background and the author used that mechanic to get close enough to a patrol ship to turn himself in when his bounty was so high that he'd otherwise go straight into combat. So, it's real it's just not utilized.

The main thrust of his video is that there was no central design document and so every dev or dev team at BSG was working in a vacuum and not knowing how things fit together.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Someone in the Xbox thread called it a controversial 7/10 and that honestly seems pretty apt.

Starfield players can be divided into two groups: people who dislike it immediately because it's not what they want/expect; and people who played 50+ hours and ended up disliking it because none of the parts fit together in a way that makes sense.

I put in probably 80 hours and got all the cheevos, but wow the flaws are seriously glaring by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I played it for 70 hours and mostly enjoyed my time (the ship building stuff was great) but even still it felt it had so much more potential. I guess I can't blame it too much if I played that long, though? But for now I have absolutely no desire to ever return to it. (and this was with a liberal use of QOL mod stuff already)