Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

The starport fights absolutely wrecked me harder than anything else so far. I just wrapped up in chapter 1 and in retrospect I don't think it's intended to be the first thing you do. It's still possible to do first but the enemies there kept blasting me behind cover and overwhelming the poo poo out of me, I was getting multiple characters downed in every fight. It's been smooth sailing ever since then.

The cover layout is weird, and the wide open spaces make it hard to position your characters behind cover to start. Plus the melee cultists can be a massive surprise and complication. When I landed, not only was the lack of clear cover making it hard to avoid weapons fire, but the fact that the brawlers are tougher and can do a shocking amount of damage lead to the first encounter having three of my crew go down. Which is made even more challenging because you can't return to the ship until you take out the AA gun, itself a difficult encounter with a particularly obnoxious sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm assuming that this has the same kind of difficulty as other Owlcat games, in that if I want a challenge without spending hours balancing excel spreadsheets I should play on Normal?
As opposed to something like BG3 where Normal is actually the easy mode.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I'm assuming that this has the same kind of difficulty as other Owlcat games, in that if I want a challenge without spending hours balancing excel spreadsheets I should play on Normal?
As opposed to something like BG3 where Normal is actually the easy mode.

I've only made it through chapter 1 but outside of the above-mentioned Starport fights, Normal feels rather easy. Default difficulty settings on Normal give your enemies debuffs and your characters buffs, Daring (the next difficulty up) has everything on a level playing field. And RT mechanics don't seem to be like Pathfinder mechanics where you need absolute build precision to even land attacks on a level playing field, so maybe try Daring first if you want a challenge. You can adjust it at any time either way.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah so far I’ve found Daring to be a solid choice when I usually played Wrath a level below that. But I usually play suboptimal characters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cuntman.net posted:

i was thinking the trash mobs werent so bad then i got to the starport and wtf

It's exhausting lol can't comprehend why they didn't tweak that

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

i was thinking the trash mobs werent so bad then i got to the starport and wtf

The starport and the rest of that planet is just mind boggling because not a single person in the beta enjoyed that and mentioned wanting it trimmed in some way.

And that's on normal! Like I can't imagine how much of a slog that must be on the harder difficulties

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm probably just spoiled by Baldur's Gate 3 and the answer is probably no, but does anything on the character creation screen affect your dialogue options?
Like, are class/origin/homeworld-specific dialogue options a thing or nah?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I'm probably just spoiled by Baldur's Gate 3 and the answer is probably no, but does anything on the character creation screen affect your dialogue options?

Extremely rarely. It mostly makes a difference in the Prologue and in some areas where you being a psyker would need to obviously be addressed but otherwise not so much.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I feel like they are, but it's been a long time. The dialogue is p good, you can be such an rear end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Starting as a Crime Lord has come up a couple of times in the tutorial, I imagine it would come up pretty rarely except as an insult from other Rogue Traders and their allies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So what are the bugs/broken stuff so far? Was super busy so haven't had time to start yet.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

there are definitely some background-related dialogue options/reactions, but I couldn't speak to their prevalence or level of impact throughout the game (and, excuse or not, it would make sense for your backgrounds' relevance to taper off as your status as Rogue Trader subsumes everything else)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Game good.

https://imgur.com/0N98Vh5.mp4

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What's the difference between "Crime Lord" and "Noble" :confused: :haw:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

So what are the bugs/broken stuff so far? Was super busy so haven't had time to start yet.

Outside of some weird combat bugs on day 1 that already stopped happening, I haven't experienced a single bug or broken thing that I was aware of

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sab669 posted:

which level of the hive city you are born in

MonsieurChoc posted:

shockingly good state, aside from a weird skill check for medicae that had a 15% success rate in the tutorial when set up as something you'd except to automatically pass, but the real bugs and problems aren't going to be obvious until people get past the content that was the Beta, end of Act 3.

The level of voice acting is weird, it literally cuts out in between scenes for the same characters, and the main lady Theodora isn't even voiced.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 8, 2023

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I just hit Psy Rating 1, how do I unlock "new Psy Powers"?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

So I just hit Psy Rating 1, how do I unlock "new Psy Powers"?

They come up as abilities and talents to select alongside the generic and archetype ones.

Be aware, hitting level 35 may lock out your homeworld/origin abilities as options, meaning you want to take psyker stuff instead of archetype stuff whenever possible. From some of the early reviews, Exemplar is solely about adding from the archetype trees and a new level of special Exemplar talents.

quote:

Exemplar is a Tier III Archetype in Rogue Trader. Exemplar can be unlocked after reaching level 36 with any Tier II Archetype. Exemplar offers a unique blend of versatility and specialization. As you progress, you can reclaim missed Talents from your previous Tier I and Tier II Archetypes, choose from a broad talent pool, enhance Skills and Characteristics, and gain unique Abilities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

The level of self-awareness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gonna need to summon up some more qi before tackling the (end of spaceport) Aurora fight. Are there any tips and tricks?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Gonna need to summon up some more qi before tackling the (end of spaceport) Aurora fight. Are there any tips and tricks?

Kill electro priests to gain more time.

Bring lots of AOE stuff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Different fight I think? This is the one with the chaos space marine.

It's where I stopped playing the beta, so I've forgotten all the mechanical gubbins. I think maybe I need to kill the sniper asap then taunt the csm into being kited around.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Game is pretty and I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. I feel like I’ll be restarting a billion times to try things out.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
There's a Void Born trait that seemingly allows you to use Intelligence instead of Fellowship on skills and abilities.

1. Does this work?

2. Is it as good as it sounds?

EDIT: Like, with this trait can I make an officer who neglects Fellowship but maxes Intelligence?

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 8, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Cassia sure is kinda overpowered. Her eye laser is so freaking good and with the right talents she's super dodgy AND super tanky.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nanomashoes posted:

If you look at his conviction sheet he's an iconoclast from the start. He would very much like for things to be better, but has made it to 50 in the setting by just doing what is expected of him (fascist violence). He likes it when you tell him there's another way, but isn't brave enough to see that from the start.

Also his compassion pretty much stops trickling down at the middle class.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Different fight I think? This is the one with the chaos space marine.

It's where I stopped playing the beta, so I've forgotten all the mechanical gubbins. I think maybe I need to kill the sniper asap then taunt the csm into being kited around.

I ignored all the adds until the spoilered unit was dead. Blow through heroic actions on warriors/soldiers right away to get multiple attacks and have Idira spam Psychic Shriek on it (especially if you've given her +1 psy rating, it does huge damage because it ignores armor). All the chaff adds aren't much of a threat and they're easy to take down afterward. Get your squishy units out of LoS of the sniper

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 8, 2023

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, Cassia sure is kinda overpowered. Her eye laser is so freaking good and with the right talents she's super dodgy AND super tanky.

Yeah, so far Cassia is easily the best companion. Why yes I would like to forcefully move every enemy out of cover and damage them multiple times a turn.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

evilmiera posted:

The starport and the rest of that planet is just mind boggling because not a single person in the beta enjoyed that and mentioned wanting it trimmed in some way.

And that's on normal! Like I can't imagine how much of a slog that must be on the harder difficulties

In fairness, I think they *have* trimmed the starport. It's just...still very long.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I’m trying to decide how reckless I can be with my consumables. The first merchant equivalent I found had 9 medkits. Do they ever restock? If I use my medkits really foolishly and burn through all 30 of them, can I go back and restock without advancing the plot?

More generally, can you grind in this game? I would kinda like to pick fights with randos for a while until my pyromancer soldier can start casting those big fire lasers. I hear the bosses are enough of an escalation that I would really like to be better equipped, and I don’t want to worry about whether I am making a mistake giving cargo to buy up reputation with the wrong factions. If I won’t run out of space pirates to fight and loot, that will significantly shift how I ration out my resources.

Thanks!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I ignored all the adds until the spoilered unit was dead. Blow through heroic actions on warriors/soldiers right away to get multiple attacks and have Idira spam Psychic Shriek on it (especially if you've given her +1 psy rating, it does huge damage because it ignores armor). All the chaff adds aren't much of a threat and they're easy to take down afterward. Get your squishy units out of LoS of the sniper

I'm guessing that early on being able to punch through armor is going to be way more important then dodge, as all the Act 2 bosses who aren't alien ballet dancers are massive screen filling monsters who look like they equipped with spaceship hull plating.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

The Red Corsairs whole thing is that they just let random loyalist guys who turn traitor join

Yeah, this sentiment is pretty common among Chaos warbands. Most warbands will take anyone useful for the most part. The Emperor's Children even had a company led for quite some time by a baseline human female. She got boosted by Slaanesh so much she was able to solo an Emperor's Children marine, take/wear his armor, and assume what was basically a captaincy within that Millennial of the legion. She was treated a bit different because she wasn't a true astartes but in practice even that didn't make much difference.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 9, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What in the world is going on with this game? I'm stuck cause no text is showing, reloading does nothing. I'm still in the prologue sigh

e:

Found the fix if anyone else gets this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2186680/discussions/0/4027970229983400554/#c4027970229983541577

quote:

Brent McKowski has Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader 23 hours ago
Missing all text
Any skills/abilities descriptions, what stats do, text in pop ups. aren't visible.
I can see icons, but not what they do.
I tried to uninstall / reinstall, still have the issue.
When I uninstalled there was nothing remaining, unless it's keeping some profile somewhere other than install directory.

quote:

Originally posted by Deuce:
Just figured something out - my sound was resetting to 0 when I would launch the game and I was messing around in the settings

Go to the accessibility tab on the settings and at the bottom is font size....you want that to be 1. Mine was set all the way down to 0 it seems somehow

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 9, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Emperor's Children are the biggest chumps from the heresy though unless you count the Word Bearers... or the Night Lords... or the iron warriors... or the alpha legion lol.

Horus isn't sending his best, folks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A scene fit for a dictator.

I'm sure nothing bad is about to happen.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Emperor's Children are the biggest chumps from the heresy though unless you count the Word Bearers... or the Night Lords... or the iron warriors... or the alpha legion lol.

Horus isn't sending his best, folks.

The Word Bearers Won.
The battle for best theme in this game, at least

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What are the generic talents are people taking first? I've been taking Swift movements first on my melee characters after remembering how tedious it was to try and close the gap against enemies. I'm also going for anything that helps reduce armor.

I also don't know what are good weapon proficiencies to take, aside from bolter/flamer nothing is going to matter until you can even find the proper equipment. Weapon Expert for Bolters(+10% armor pen), Las(additonal -20% dodge), and Flame(attacks -1AP) all look really good even for early characters

Grenadier looks really good but no point in taking it until grenades become plentiful. I've been using Argenta to "sneak attack" to start combat with a burst round and being able to add that to the following turn could help clear a big chunk of the chaff.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't see any reason not to take Nimble on everyone because as far as I know Dodge has no diminishing returns and it's a flat 10% (before armor maluses)

Also don't forget that you can use Charge to close the gap on melee. It doesn't need a target, you can just charge to an empty square. Swift Movement is still good though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2023

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
For Abelard, I took Combat Master to negate melee superiority. I tend to send him first in. I am considering dueling mastery.
I guess Nimble would be good for dodgier characters

Frrom all the weapon related talents, lowering heavy weapon requirement can open a new avenue for certain characters. And it gets further impactful common talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I don't see any reason not to take Nimble on everyone because as far as I know Dodge has no diminishing returns and it's a flat 10% (before armor maluses)

Also don't forget that you can use Charge to close the gap on melee. It doesn't need a target, you can just charge to an empty square. Swift Movement is still good though

The power armors are 75% DR, the heavy armor is only 50%. Unless I'm reading it wrong its not a percentage of your dodge reduced, if you have 60% dodge, then heavy armor reduces that to 10% dodge.

Not sure if it's worth trying to squeeze out 10-20% dodge for a character in heavy armor, in melee isn't it a parry/dodge calculation and just uses the best one?