Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fuckin' Billy Mitchell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lmfao

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChudsOfTikTok/status/1732571517643321440?t=oKWeTzUgQ5LEA-Ta9goVDw&s=19

Lol, probably a nuke

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"You guys are going to jail" lmao.

No nuke could ever be that cool.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
They let nukes off the ship on port calls? :raise:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’d loving kill them both myself if my liberty in Greece got canned. Where the gently caress are the liberty buddies?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We had an ICFN get legit curb stomped there. He was drunk and started making some inappropriate comments/actions towards some local girls and some local guys did the deed. He came back to the boat the next morning from the hospital and his mouth and face were all hosed up. He got medevac'd back to Norfolk that same morning.

We also got a Legendary port brief that included the hits, "If you see a group of people jumping up and down, they are probably anarchists so stay away," and "There ae anti American groups that protest whenever a submarine pulls in, so we will station an extra topside security watch with a nightstick." It was then explained that these groups can be armed with rocket launchers, which led someone to ask if the topside watch would be expected to hit the rocket out of the air.

I always had a wonderful time there, or so I'm told. I stayed blackout drunk for that part of my life (I'm better now)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

We had an ICFN get legit curb stomped there. He was drunk and started making some inappropriate comments/actions towards some local girls and some local guys did the deed. He came back to the boat the next morning from the hospital and his mouth and face were all hosed up. He got medevac'd back to Norfolk that same morning.

We also got a Legendary port brief that included the hits, "If you see a group of people jumping up and down, they are probably anarchists so stay away," and "There ae anti American groups that protest whenever a submarine pulls in, so we will station an extra topside security watch with a nightstick." It was then explained that these groups can be armed with rocket launchers, which led someone to ask if the topside watch would be expected to hit the rocket out of the air.

I always had a wonderful time there, or so I'm told. I stayed blackout drunk for that part of my life (I'm better now)

Greece didn’t let us off the docks during 2020 when I was there so I have no idea what it’s really like but in Sicily, Rome and Naples we were a goddamn curiosity and some of the few Americans in the whole country out sight seeing.
Was amazing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Greece didn’t let us off the docks during 2020 when I was there so I have no idea what it’s really like but in Sicily, Rome and Naples we were a goddamn curiosity and some of the few Americans in the whole country out sight seeing.
Was amazing.

There's a difference between when a small boy or USNS, in your case, makes port versus a big deck amphib or carrier

One of the good things about Souda Bay was the shawarma cart that was just on the pier

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

When I went to greece in the navy, one of the sailors in my division was already out and drinking. He ended up getting too wasted and so I and my liberty buddy dragged him back to the sub. On the way back he barfed in a cab and I paid the cabbie to get it cleaned. When we.got back we got dude to the bunkroom, where he proceeded to pee on a rack and get hammered until the rest of the department found out

I figured I was in line for an attaboy or at least a shout-out for finding and assisting a more senior sailor make it back to the boat while at a liberty port when they were incapacitated. Instead it was suggested that his intoxication was my fault and that junior sailors couldn't ve trusted to drink while on liberty. I somewhat naively attempted to argue that I wasn't hid liberty buddy and had nothing to do with the incident before being told I was gonna be cranking in port because I wasnt qualified and the CSs needed support. And thus began my deep love affair with the United States Nuclear Navy Submarine force hooah

Chania and hurkleon were pretty good though. We had a lot of sailors do immensely stupid things, such as attempting to being a female bar greeter onboard the vessel because "they were in love" and "she had been trafficked" which absolutely nobody in the CoC gave a single gently caress about .

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
In 10 years of sea time I have 7 days in a foreign port, of which 4 were spent on duty

See the world!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Cerekk posted:

In 10 years of sea time I have 7 days in a foreign port, of which 4 were spent on duty

See the world!

I was super lucky to get to spend 3 years as part of ship’s company on an amphib out of Sasebo. We spent 18 months or so at sea but as the USMC liaison, I had zero ship quals and no watches. I just had to load and unload the ship when we put Marines on it. That meant every port visit we did, I got the entire liberty period to go see Asia.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hekk posted:

I was super lucky to get to spend 3 years as part of ship’s company on an amphib out of Sasebo. We spent 18 months or so at sea but as the USMC liaison, I had zero ship quals and no watches. I just had to load and unload the ship when we put Marines on it. That meant every port visit we did, I got the entire liberty period to go see Asia.

I’ll do you one better. I was on one of the sweeps out of Sasebo. CTF76 gave zero fucks about us, so we got to do whatever we wanted. So far to the point there was a series of three Liberty incidents in one weekend which brought down the hammer on the entire ship force in the basin. They made everyone come back and live on ship for 2-3 weeks. My DIV CO went to bat for us with 76 explaining that we had the lowest rate of incidents and got us cleared day 2. So for a couple weeks, we were the only sailors out in town and it was loving amazing.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Grip it and rip it posted:

before being told I was gonna be cranking in port because I wasnt qualified and the CSs needed support. And thus began my deep love affair with the United States Nuclear Navy Submarine force hooah

Cranking in port was awesome when i did it though. Get up at 5, prep and serve breakfast, prep for lunch, and then leave at 11 if you weren't on duty.

Then we would head out, drink and gorge ourselves stupid, get back to the boat around 2am, and then back in the galley at 5:30 reeking of booze and puke

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hekk posted:

It was super cool when we were restricted to base in Guam "for COVID safety" during our post collision investigation, and our CSDS 5 and 7th fleet reps would come on board in the morning reeking of booze with Dusit Thani labeled water bottles in their hands. Especially when the Michigan pulled in and stole our berthing barge, so the literal only place we were allowed to sleep was the boat.

Boy I miss the Navy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elviscat posted:

It was super cool when we were restricted to base in Guam "for COVID safety" during our post collision investigation, and our CSDS 5 and 7th fleet reps would come on board in the morning reeking of booze with Dusit Thani labeled water bottles in their hands. Especially when the Michigan pulled in and stole our berthing barge, so the literal only place we were allowed to sleep was the boat.

Boy I miss the Navy.

Is it still considered piracy to commandeer a berthing barge? Asking for a friend.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hope you all don’t mind me posting about The Last Ship again because I get curious about the accuracies/inaccuracies sometimes.

So in the last episode I watched the ship was hunting-evading an enemy nuclear sub, an Astute class one. I’m not sure how I feel about a single ship hunting a nuclear submarine buuuut in the episode they showed that they had a guy who’s entire job was to wear a headset to listen to the beeps and boops from the sonar and answer questions to the captain based on those sounds alone. The TV shows him closing his eyes to focus and he never looks at the screen when he tells the captain the enemy is 40 mi away or that they are at 34 degrees or whatever.

Surely the show showing sonar as this super duper low tech is just a made for tv thing? Y’all have computers that listen to the boops and can identify poo poo faster and more accurate than a person? Right?

Side note the show likes to keep showing off the same stock footage of a SM-3 launching. I’ll never get tired of seeing this because my very first job was working on the thrusters for that missile’s kill vehicle, which sounds a lot cooler than it was.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hope you all don’t mind me posting about The Last Ship again because I get curious about the accuracies/inaccuracies sometimes.

So in the last episode I watched the ship was hunting-evading an enemy nuclear sub, an Astute class one. I’m not sure how I feel about a single ship hunting a nuclear submarine buuuut in the episode they showed that they had a guy who’s entire job was to wear a headset to listen to the beeps and boops from the sonar and answer questions to the captain based on those sounds alone. The TV shows him closing his eyes to focus and he never looks at the screen when he tells the captain the enemy is 40 mi away or that they are at 34 degrees or whatever.

Surely the show showing sonar as this super duper low tech is just a made for tv thing? Y’all have computers that listen to the boops and can identify poo poo faster and more accurate than a person? Right?

Side note the show likes to keep showing off the same stock footage of a SM-3 launching. I’ll never get tired of seeing this because my very first job was working on the thrusters for that missile’s kill vehicle, which sounds a lot cooler than it was.

There’s another documentary called “Periscope Down” that shows this very skill be used a few times.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So you’re saying it’s real? I dunno I kinda assumed the sonar system had a computer that could instantly and more accurately tell you more information about a target than a person can.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Boris Galerkin posted:

So you’re saying it’s real? I dunno I kinda assumed the sonar system had a computer that could instantly and more accurately tell you more information about a target than a person can.

Nice try comrade but you'll not catch me breaking opsec

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Boris Galerkin posted:

:lol:

If active sonar is going on you will know the exact bearing it is along with the SPL (sound pressure level) but not an exact distance. There is a sensor that is dedicated to that, very similar to a RAWR on an aircraft (that tells you what radar is in the air and its direction).

To find out the exact range requires the ages old method of triangulation via bearing rates. I'm sure you can look up TMA formulas on the internet that explain it.

Sonar is also a team thing not 1 guy doing it all.

Also to know "what" something is requires knowledge. There is no computer that spits out "ITS A CLASS XXXXXX"

edit : but you're talking about the surface ship doing active. that will give a distance to the return which will be pretty accurate. it will not tell you anything else, just a distance to the return not what anything is and reading active sonar is a bit of a skill.

ded fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 8, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Active sonar gives good bearing and reasonably good distance info based on time and speed of sound in water. It won't spit out details. You can't necessarily hear a lot of details either, depending on pulse type and length (distance). It's easier in blue water than in a fjord.

Long range active sonar is also tricky.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I can't speak for surface sonar shacks but I know from experience that yes, one guy will have headphones on listening. It also does help if you close your eyes and concentrate because that's how human beings do things. Having your headphones on and listening to a return from active sonar might have been something on the older systems and I can't speak to that but I don't think that's necessarily never been a thing for active.

I can also tell you that the book is really good so I don't know how the translation went to the show but if you are enjoying the story at all maybe quit watching it and start reading it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know what all those lines and blobs and sounds and stuff mean, but trying to go to sleep while you're being pinged by active is super annoying.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

I don't know what all those lines and blobs and sounds and stuff mean, but trying to go to sleep while you're being pinged by active is super annoying.

Agreed.

When I was on 750 we were in Haifa when Saddam started moving missiles around again so we got rapdily out of port early to go sit in the Red Sea with the San Jacinto. Those Motherfuckers kept their active on 24/7, just saturating the water with noise. Not only did it come through the hull, it made any kind of passive detection pretty impossible. After a couple of weeks submerged we got to surface and have a steel beach with them. They sent small boats over and we got to use their store, which was great because we left Israel in kind of a hurry and a lot of people didn't get the chance to resupply things like shampoo or smokes.

My watch team of STSs asked for a tour of the shack so we could see the difference and talk to surface sonar guys. We walked in and the 2nd class that was my supervisor underway said, "where is the button?" They asked what button and he said "the button that turns on your active because I'm going to break the poo poo out of it." We all laughed and no one showed him the button.

SEVERAL years later I was at Locheed in Manassas for training and one of the instructors was telling a sea story about when he was a surface sonart tech on the San Jacinto and he had been on watch when we came in. I still have my San Jack big plastic insulated mug.

Anyway yes active sonar sucks for everyone, even the sonar nerds.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've spent more hours than I'd like to think about in front of a sonar set, and particularly when you're chasing an SSK like Ula in a fjord with a bunch of noise and weird echoes, your ears will help you pin down the actual submarine. There's a certain quality to the return that is hard to explain in words, you have to learn by experience.

Of course if you have an American DD with you on the CASEX, forget about finding anything because they don't respect frequency plans and no one has told them that you might not want to push full power in enclosed waters. loving morons one and all.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't know which is a better drunk liberty story, being saved by two Yeoman as I drunkenly inform several Aruban police officers that I will go find Natalie Hollaway's body (they were not impressed)...or finding the captain drunk in a pile of trash and sneaking him back onto the ship with the AvDet.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

do submarine dudes get extra upset when they see people tapping the glass at the aquarium

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I dunno, but I know of a sub crew that got pissed at our 16 second low frequency FM pulse (towed sonar is fun) that we tested out just to gently caress with them. In a fjord :v:

Added bonus: we also woke up an absolute rear end in a top hat Lt Cmdr and trolled the gently caress out of him on the phone when he called the CIC to bitch about our shenanigans :smuggo:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Elendil004 posted:

I don't know which is a better drunk liberty story, being saved by two Yeoman as I drunkenly inform several Aruban police officers that I will go find Natalie Hollaway's body (they were not impressed)...or finding the captain drunk in a pile of trash and sneaking him back onto the ship with the AvDet.

finding the captain drunk in a pile of trash makes me think they were an amazing skipper or the worst ever with zero in between

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

maffew buildings posted:

finding the captain drunk in a pile of trash makes me think they were an amazing skipper or the worst ever with zero in between

He was solid, not as good as the first guy, a lot more hands off but wasn't objectively bad in any way. My first CO, I'd still follow him into harms way.

He (my first CO) actually did something very early on in my time on the ship that really gave me a ton of respect for him.

I had so far been on one patrol, and my parents were visiting the ship in homeport so I was giving them a tour after the work day. I had just left the bridge and made a comment passing the CO's door "Down that way is "Officer Country" berthing for the officers." And the CO hears me and pops the door open. I introduce him and he took just a few minutes to talk to my folks but he specifically dropped a couple things I'd done on the patrol. Nothing earth shattering, but I was a very junior E-4 and he knew two or three things I'd done, and made a point to talk to my folks about it. Dude probably knew something about every sailor on the ship.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a good CO :allears:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
That is a good CO.

My first CO thought we were ETs even though we saw him literally every day during cleaning stations (we had the p way under his stateroom).

Also during an all E4 call he straight up said nothing an E4 could do is worthy of a NAM. I guess he was right because that deployment I got a FLOC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

That is a good CO.

My first CO thought we were ETs even though we saw him literally every day during cleaning stations (we had the p way under his stateroom).

Also during an all E4 call he straight up said nothing an E4 could do is worthy of a NAM. I guess he was right because that deployment I got a FLOC.

Don’t they give NAM’s for saving people from drowning?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

That is a good CO.

That dude's great grandpappy must have been the one handing out awards to Taffy 3 after the Battle off Samar.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Don’t they give NAM’s for saving people from drowning?

The next co did that when a lady jumped off the ship.

They give nams for everything, I always saw them as like, hey you did good this deployment, whether that was fixing a radar casualty or stocking the soda machine. But also gently caress that guy for thinking thay way. Like if the e4 fixes the gear that saves a tech rep visit and helps the ship continue its mission they should get a spot Nam.

It's also very funny because it's inconsistent, like I finished my career with 6 loving nams lol. I knew an admin guy who had nine!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
my nam was for fixing gear we had no documentation or proper access to, which kept us at sea and on our special mission thing. AFTAS was such a cobbled together pile of stuff.

i had to figure out a way to delete things in the /root directory on a sunspark unix system that we did not have the admin access to because the civilian rider was not with us. then the next week one of the cards in the system broke for processing the tb-29 information and thankfully we actually had a spare for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

my nam was for fixing gear we had no documentation or proper access to, which kept us at sea and on our special mission thing. AFTAS was such a cobbled together pile of stuff.

i had to figure out a way to delete things in the /root directory on a sunspark unix system that we did not have the admin access to because the civilian rider was not with us. then the next week one of the cards in the system broke for processing the tb-29 information and thankfully we actually had a spare for it.

I got my first one for the vice president laughing at my misfortune and my second one for repairing a bunch of wiring on a busted ship.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thanks for the info on sonar and subs. I’ve just learned today that you can actually hear the pings when another ship has active sonar on even without headsets connected to the system… y’all hear that just while you’re walking around the ship?

I always assumed any scenes in movies that showed something like this was fake because I assumed that subs had some layer of sound dampening material, like idk even an air gap inside the hull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sonar pings are LOUD. You can still hear them clearly beyond the horizon. Just a rock concert blaring MUUUWREEEeeeeee.....

Ain't nothing deadening that against the human ear. Tons of ways to prevent it from usefully reflecting off of you though.