Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ravus Ursus posted:

Let me give you guys shocked about this a brief understanding of how dumb this place is.

75% of our revenue comes from one customer.

99% of our product comes from one manufacturer in China.

If I was that customer, I would be speaking directly with the manufacturer in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The two other direct competitors to that customer do exactly that. We cant get business with thsr competition because of this reason.

No one here seems to think that's a concern.

Also the primary sales rep for that customer is married to a director within that company. And lives in the state where that company has an office. And said company bought the office building he rents office space from.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Ravus Ursus posted:

The VP of finance fell for an email scam and sent an undisclosed sum of money to fraudsters in a foreign country.

10/10

Holy poo poo

At my old job someone in the finance department fell for voice phishing and gave access to our bank account because he kept asking for the 2fa token over the phone under the guise of updating the website. Funny enough, that was my coworkers doing accounts payable

Finance truly does attract Some People I swear

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I got pulled into the lawyer's office and grilled because "Four people told me you said that payroll was hosed and people were getting fired."

Ok buddy, 👌

I may have been responsible for a riot about a year ago involving taxes.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tnuctip posted:

What the gently caress kind of interview trend is this, is this a common thing now? For what level role do they not even have you interact with a real person?

I had one too, for a program manager position. gently caress HireVue.

I have an in- person the week before Christmas, lol.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Past company kept having strange outages they'd deny were a problem and then one day one of the techs discovered that, here in rainy Portland, rain would leak through our janky old building across pipes in the ceiling and drip onto servers' power supplies.

I'll give you one guess regarding whether or not the person who pointed this out was then later fired.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ravus Ursus posted:

But the email scam was clever as poo poo. They backed out vendors server, monitored the emails, and then replied to a chain of ongoing emails with an email address with a single extra letter in a play where it still made a word. So emailing Jim@fakemail.com and in the middle of the chain a response from Jim@fakeemail.com comes in continuing the discussion and, oh the payment for past due bills has been requests but we need to update the wire details.
Are you sure they even bothered with fakeemail.com? If I'm in their server I'll just craft the mail directly and send it.

Also I had a brief moment of horror because just yesterday I arranged for a client's finance department to be told by a supplier to mail cheques to a field in India going forward.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got an invite for one of those pre-recorded video interviews where you record a video of you answering questions so an AI can analyze your body language and eye movement and determine if you're telling the truth.

Along with it was an email with advice about how to prepare for the interview and it's all things like make sure to act out your enthusiasm as much as possible and make sure to buy the nicest clothes you can afford prior to the interview especially if you are of low socioeconomic status, and make sure to rearrange your entire room that you'll be filming from so that it looks like a professional office, and make sure to set up studio-quality lighting so our AI can properly judge you

Call the person who arranged the interview and tell them to shove it up their rear end, if they can’t be bothered to take the time to interview you properly then why would you ever want to work for them?

It’s always a fun call to make if you’re the kind of person that likes to make HR drones sweat.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you sure they even bothered with fakeemail.com? If I'm in their server I'll just craft the mail directly and send it.

Also I had a brief moment of horror because just yesterday I arranged for a client's finance department to be told by a supplier to mail cheques to a field in India going forward.

Nope, it's what legal decided to tell us. It's possible that it was actually what you said and this is their nonsense cover story.

I found out, after my interrogation, that had the fiance VP never made that off hand comment they had never intended to inform anyone in the company that anything had happened. The lawyer admitted that he only shared info with execs that he was legally required to and even then he struggled with whether or not he should do so.

So a cluster gently caress from top to bottom. And the hush closed door meetings was them giving info to the FBI and Homeland Security.

Ok have fun.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 9, 2023

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Let me give you guys shocked about this a brief understanding of how dumb this place is.

you should listen to the little voice in your head telling you to subtly exacerbate the chaos. it'll be really funny

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

You mean like encouraging our ecom team to model their entire amazon store after our closest rival? You know don't copy them, but copy them.

And also leaking to the general masses how much the vacations the owners take are costing.
Martha's vineyard is expensive labor day weekend, the place they're at is booked solid and for next year it's like 25k for the week, crazy.

Or asking leading questions in meeting that suggest we maybe should try just openly stealing the designs of our rivals even after we've defend and won copyright claims for people who did that to us,

My dumbest thing is just agreeing that everything the owner says is a good idea and worth the minimal cost impact it has. These impacts are not minimal. They're currently taking 40k units of products off shelves, opening it, swapping a defective part, and putting it back on shelves.

The cost for this is so high that it would be cheaper to restore all existing product and have new ones made wholesale.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

I loving just had a meeting about "meeting fatigue" on a Friday with break out rooms I'm gonna strangle myself.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ArmTheHomeless posted:

I loving just had a meeting about "meeting fatigue" on a Friday with break out rooms I'm gonna strangle myself.

Are the break out rooms suicide booths? In a rational world, that is the only thing that would make sense.

In corpo world, it’s probably about the fact that the drone’s spirit hasn’t broken yet.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ArmTheHomeless posted:

Oh I'll show you a break out room! *leaves*

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

During lockdown I attended a session on Managing Burnout. It started at 10:30, and at some point I mentioned that I was having brunch because I hadn't had time for breakfast. The facilitator mentioned the irony of doing that in a session on burnout. I asked for a show of hands, and a third of the attendees were eating their first meal of the day. Not all of them were West Coast, so that was lunch for some people.

I get nostalgic for the "not having to leave the house" part of lockdown. I do not get nostalgic for the "have to not leave the house" part, or the part about "might get sick and die if you leave the house."

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

ArmTheHomeless posted:

I just said this elsewhere but corporate culture sometimes gets so far up its own rear end that it doesn't realize that it's painting its own caricature.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Use an AI to answer the questions and animate a video. If they can't be bothered to use a real person to conduct the interview, why should you use a real one to perform the interview?

It won't be long before someone runs an adversarial AI to generate just the right white-noise images and sound to trick the AI interviewer into recommending max salary and benefits. "Report: The interviewee is 99% compatible with the role, 75% more responsible and trustworthy than other candidates and 63% panda. Recommendation: Hire and supply with extra bamboo"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ravus Ursus posted:

Nope, it's what legal decided to tell us. It's possible that it was actually what you said and this is their nonsense cover story.

I found out, after my interrogation, that had the fiance VP never made that off hand comment they had never intended to inform anyone in the company that anything had happened. The lawyer admitted that he only shared info with execs that he was legally required to and even then he struggled with whether or not he should do so.

So a cluster gently caress from top to bottom. And the hush closed door meetings was them giving info to the FBI and Homeland Security.

Ok have fun.
TBH they made it seem worse then. Oh well :shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Reoxygenation posted:

At my old job someone in the finance department fell for voice phishing and gave access to our bank account because he kept asking for the 2fa token over the phone under the guise of updating the website.

Excuse me, I think you mean "vishing". :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also acceptable: Hear Phishing

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

zedprime posted:

Most companies will end up with a policy that you never change account or wire details without talking to a human with a previously recorded contact method because someone gets spear phished exactly how they did.

One of my clients had this happen, it is also a family-owned business where each department is basically one person and everything goes to poo poo on a regular basis due to high turnover.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Lol, lmao

The only way I know we're not talking about the same company is that my client has multiple international suppliers and takes their vacations outside the US.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Which makes sense, but I wonder why it would be a discussion in the first place. What I always heard was that they were very stringent on how they determined the starting salary grade. Like, if you apply for a lower level job and your degree is too high or you have too much experience, they won't even call you back after the HR screener.

I can't speak to your company, but I interviewed at a company where they had quotas for interviews on each opening, so if you dinged the boxes but weren't what they were looking for exactly you could get called in for an interview just to hit the magic number. I know this because a hiring manager told me about the system and the fact that they had an internal candidate they were going to hire. He waited until the end of the interview, and I'm not totally sure if that was better or worse than just telling me up front that I wasted my time by even showing up.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

We're not talking about the same company because it's 70 people big and if ome of the idiots in this office was a goon and in this thread they'd have found me by now. And outside the company people are very unlikely to be here. External contractors are the IT dudes, some legal stuff, yard care, and the jackass who keeps loving up ecom snd wont give them the admin log in info.

And the business consultant... but unless your name is Mark and you're really into jazz, I think I'm good.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

how are white collar jobs even real lmao

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Our new Head of Security in IT had pleaded for mandatory disk encryption on company laptops for half a year, only to be ignored and told it was too much of a hassle.

So he hired a security consultancy to conduct a test. One day, two non-descript white guys in slacks and matching dark blue polo shirts roll up to the front desk at corporate HQ and say they are with our IT partner, and here to do some network cabling. The helpful receptionist lets them past the gate and they trot up the stairs to our Marketing department.

They then go around to every empty desk with a laptop on it and just... take the laptop. They were asked by someone what they were doing, and just said "routine updates, we're with the new IT partner". They walk out the door and into their van with 14 company laptops and a couple of phones, including the CMOs.

Mandatory disk encryption was rolled out within a week.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ravus Ursus, I am in disbelief at your current situation but I also by experience that holy poo poo that specific strain of rank incompetence is real.

Please keep us updated because it’s a great distraction from my current “next week is going to suck, drinks better be comped at this office holiday party” situation

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ArmTheHomeless posted:

Meetings will continue until morale improves :toughguy:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ArmTheHomeless posted:

Hey, team outings to break out rooms can be a fun change of pace, especially if it's during work hours. Our team got close to the record for breaking out, we were like 75m but the fastest was only 70m or so-

Oh, no, those are escape rooms. Sorry.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We were going to have 6 people fly out from corporate to give a day-long meeting about a bunch of stuff. 3 people from out department were going to show up.

It ended up being two guys and two of our group, and only one of the guys actually really talked about one subject, so it ended up being like 2 hours long, so that was pretty cool. I like my job a lot but it's always nice when meetings don't go for 8 hours.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

A glitch in our HR systems has removed me from being managed and apparently I can just approve my own timesheets now and they will automatically get paid?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cynic posted:

A glitch in our HR systems has removed me from being managed and apparently I can just approve my own timesheets now and they will automatically get paid?

Lock up your stapler

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mzuri posted:

Our new Head of Security in IT had pleaded for mandatory disk encryption on company laptops for half a year, only to be ignored and told it was too much of a hassle.

So he hired a security consultancy to conduct a test. One day, two non-descript white guys in slacks and matching dark blue polo shirts roll up to the front desk at corporate HQ and say they are with our IT partner, and here to do some network cabling. The helpful receptionist lets them past the gate and they trot up the stairs to our Marketing department.

They then go around to every empty desk with a laptop on it and just... take the laptop. They were asked by someone what they were doing, and just said "routine updates, we're with the new IT partner". They walk out the door and into their van with 14 company laptops and a couple of phones, including the CMOs.

Whoa that owns. The infosec podcast Darknet Diaries often interviews security testers and it’s fascinating how good procedures have to be to stop them. Yes, the person who appears to be nine months pregnant & is carrying a cake & has what seems to be a real ID badge should not be allowed to tailgate.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Mzuri posted:

haha, it's like the intro scene from Snatch with less guns

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

cynic posted:

The bigger the abuse the more likely it is to be noticed, use this power wisely.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Dameius posted:

The bigger the abuse the more likely it is to be noticed, use this power wisely.

Nah it would just be straight up fraud to do anything with these powers I was just accidentally given. It's definitely stupid poo poo my work did to allow this to happen seemingly at random though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Somewhere a SOX auditor woke up in a cold sweat and doesn't know why.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Place implemented a power saving option across hundreds of Solr servers to shut them down to save power even though they were used 24/7 for data access by clients. We got massive customer complaints about issues and no one figured it out until I compared some SQL queries about those clients' activity with Splunk logs and alerted our techops team that they were literally disabling client-facing services. And then their manager got mad about that because not turning off servers that clients use meant a bigger electricity bill.

Like, dude... Dude, this is a business providing services to paying customers and you can't just shut it off randomly. Do you really need a curious QA nerd poking around to raise a flag that this is not going to work out long term?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mzuri posted:

I’m shocked they didn’t just fire him. Every place Ive worked, IT security’s power evaporates as soon as it’s inconvenient for a VP.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Crackbone posted:

I’m shocked they didn’t just fire him. Every place Ive worked, IT security’s power evaporates as soon as it’s inconvenient for a VP.

Probably because they are in a regulated industry where security audits and compliance are a real loving deal. Like there will be consequences measured in millions for security slip ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Has anyone ever heard of layoffs referred to as "RIF"?

It stands for "reduction in force", apparently.