Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Millenials and Zoomers yearn for the days when you can support yourself with an office job. Movies like Office Space and Fight Club aged poorly.

I don’t want to work in the office I just think it’s chill and I laugh at how lovely the characters are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Volmarias posted:

Only 5% of Americans work more than one job over the table.

And that probably doesn't even include gig work or mlms

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sentient Data posted:

And that probably doesn't even include gig work or mlms

I would assume that gig economy stuff would still be tracked, even if they're "independent contractors" but who am I to say.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t want to work in the office I just think it’s chill and I laugh at how lovely the characters are

I know right, i work in warehouses bc office work would make me shoot up the place, office people suck rear end

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Only 5% of Americans work more than one job. Although nobody should have to work more than one job, it is not particularly common.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/02/new-way-to-measure-how-many-americans-work-more-than-one-job.html

census.gov in a post from early 2021 posted:

Over the entire 22-year time period from the second quarter of 1996 to the first quarter of 2018, the multiple jobholding rate has averaged 7.2% of all employed individuals, according to the LEHD data.

The multiple jobholding rate is defined as the number of multiple jobholders in a given quarter divided by the total number of employed persons.

Figure 1 shows the seasonally adjusted time series of the multiple jobholding rate. The multiple jobholding rate increased from 6.8% in the second quarter of 1996 to 7.8% in the first quarter of 2018.

In the first quarter of 2018, 9.1% of women and 6.6% of men were working more than one job.

Industries of Multiple Jobholders

Our working paper also shows that most multiple jobs are clustered in a few industries. Here’s the percentage of second jobs by sector:

16.8% in healthcare and social assistance.
16.7% in accommodation and food services.
14.5% in retail trade.
10.8% in administrative and support and waste management and remediation services.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Would that even count gig workers? They aren't employees. They don't have employers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A shitload of American economic data is terrible, both by design and otherwise, there's a reason there's so many articles about 'Why are people do down about the economy that's obviously doing great? The ungrateful plebs don't know how good they have it!'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Depends on if gig workers even count as employed. They should but they might fall under self employed instead of regular employed and I don't know how that interacts with this data. People taking multiple gig work jobs may only count as one job since it's all self employed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kwyndig posted:

Depends on if gig workers even count as employed. They should but they might fall under self employed instead of regular employed and I don't know how that interacts with this data. People taking multiple gig work jobs may only count as one job since it's all self employed.

I doubt the data collection has kept up with the situation. A guy who does deliveries and ride shares might have half a dozen apps on his phone, or phones, all at the same time and take the jobs that pay the most at any given moment. There's no point in having loyalty to one app over all others, they certainly don't have any loyalty to you.

There are guys who own multiple properties and use air b&b as their main source of income, but would that count as a job?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of American economic data is terrible, both by design and otherwise, there's a reason there's so many articles about 'Why are people do down about the economy that's obviously doing great? The ungrateful plebs don't know how good they have it!'
Yeah so if even the numbers which might not count gig workers say that it's approaching 1 in 10 then the "it's only 5% and also 5% shouldn't count as a lot" guy is extra wrong, right

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The majority of adults I know have some sort of side hustle.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Alterian posted:

The majority of adults I know have some sort of side hustle.
How old are you? I'm 46, and I don't know anyone IRL with a side hustle.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

I'm 36 and about half the people I work with have one. We make decent money (20+/hour) in the midwest so COL is low, but some people still struggle to get by. One person I know has two jobs (one full time, one part time/seasonal) AND a side hustle, but she's the type that is incapable of relaxing.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I'm early 30's in Texas and most of the people I know have a "Real Job" and some other sort of side gig, weather it's the occasional bartending, driving for uber eats, something illegal that definitely wouldn't be reported to the government, some kind of performance gig playing music in bars or fairs, or now incresingly commonly, legal sex work like Only Fans.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm in my forties and working an under the table farm job and a side hustle to make 50% more nights and weekends.

80 hour weeks, but I can barely make rent and other mandatory payments while still living check to check.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I work a 9-5 office job, and own my own freelancing llc. I don't work constantly but I do big projects now and then, I don't know how that would be counted but have filed both 1099 and business taxes depending over the years in addition to my normal taxes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mid-40s, disabled and in poverty

This is depressing can we talk about zoos again

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah so if even the numbers which might not count gig workers say that it's approaching 1 in 10 then the "it's only 5% and also 5% shouldn't count as a lot" guy is extra wrong, right

You're just arguing with me over my and your definition of the word "common" tho, because I said nobody should have to work more than one job.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Inedible penguin actually said nobody should have to. You're just being weirdly contrarian for some reason with someone who agrees with you. Which I guess is your gimmick.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I have an office job and also a landlord. Is landlord a side hustle?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You're just arguing with me over my and your definition of the word "common" tho, because I said nobody should have to work more than one job.

Nobody was arguing with you, just with the statisticians made of either flesh or straw

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The MSJ posted:

I have an office job and also a landlord. Is landlord a side hustle?

Depending on the forum, either it's a full time job or :thermidor:, nothing in between.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Agents are GO! posted:

Something undermarketed is that disabled Americans quite often qualify for a free lifetime pass to national parks that covers 1 car or up to 4 people. My wife has one.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/accessibility/interagency-access-pass.htm

Madison, Wi has a free zoo, and there are a bunch more, apparently.

https://roadtripowl.com/free-zoos-and-aquariums-in-the-usa/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Agents are GO! posted:

How much do you think they'd paid someone to be a zoo exhibit? Surely we're not too far from rich people paying to look at poors in zoos.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We could get reenactors, real hardcore fuckers to live in like historically accurate conditions, make it educational.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Knormal posted:

Surely we're not too far from rich people paying to look at poors in zoos.

What else do you think twitch and youtube are?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Beachcomber posted:

Something undermarketed is that disabled Americans quite often qualify for a free lifetime pass to national parks that covers 1 car or up to 4 people. My wife has one.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/accessibility/interagency-access-pass.htm

I got mine this summer. Incredibly easy to get, free for life, and they'll replace the card if you ever lose it.

I honestly wept ugly tears at Cedar Breaks when they gave it to me, so grateful to have access to not only national parks but all national lands: forests, fish and wildlife, and others but I'm forgetting right now. I camped for free across the country this summer on the power of the pass.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I was correcting your claim of 5%, and if you're looking at the actual numbers of "1 out of every 13 people, and this probably doesn't even count people who do app gig bullshit" and still thinking that's not common, well, uh, ok i guess, what WOULD you count as common, at that point i do genuinely wonder

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Early 40's. I'm a full time professor and I also do consulting work on projects that come my way in the area I teach in. Same with my husband. I have several colleagues that adjunct at other schools on top of their full time ones. I know a lot of people that suppliment with stuff like instacart if their main second job isn't going as well. My dad also did contracting work outside of his normal salary job on and off while I was growing up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alterian posted:

main second job

:smithicide:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

InediblePenguin posted:

I was correcting your claim of 5%, and if you're looking at the actual numbers of "1 out of every 13 people, and this probably doesn't even count people who do app gig bullshit" and still thinking that's not common, well, uh, ok i guess, what WOULD you count as common, at that point i do genuinely wonder

It should be completely unheard of, but in the context of the original conversation iirc the implication was "most people," as in it's on the balance safe to assume.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I got mine this summer. Incredibly easy to get, free for life, and they'll replace the card if you ever lose it.

I honestly wept ugly tears at Cedar Breaks when they gave it to me, so grateful to have access to not only national parks but all national lands: forests, fish and wildlife, and others but I'm forgetting right now. I camped for free across the country this summer on the power of the pass.

Don't sleep on the disabled seating at events too. Most venues will give you a great seat.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The hard R? Excuse me wtf?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It seems like that ad came out (2009) before “hard r “ entered the lexicon

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

mlnhd posted:

It seems like that ad came out (2009) before “hard r “ entered the lexicon

see also

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cripes, I've played that game how many times over the years and never even thought of that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Perfect Dark also did it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This messes me up when I'm watching Honey I Blew Up The Kid:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mega Man is a competing AI, so that's why Elon Musk was so worried about an N bomb that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Mega Man is a competing AI, so that's why Elon Musk was so worried about an N bomb that one time.
Weewon Wusk