Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Two kids were born in my colony and are grown up now, one has no traits and the other has psychically deaf :cripes: Passion rolls were good at least

E: double checked and it was psychically dull

Danaru fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reveilled posted:

New run, one of my starting colonists’ little sister arrives as a wanderer so I let her join. Comes with misandrist baked in, not ideal long term but for now it’s OK since my colony is all women. Bust my rear end getting that kid better educated than a Nobel prize winner and get to choose from six traits as she becomes an adult:

Misogynist
Nervous
Psychically Deaf
Masochist
Tortured Artist
Greedy

Jesus. I guess nurture can only do so much. I guess I’m shopping for a mindscrew now.

I'd probably take Psychically Deaf or Tortured Artist(assuming the pawn has a passion in art).

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone have any idea why 1x3 chunks of my base keep disappearing? Is my behemoth just snacking on infrastructure?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone have any idea why 1x3 chunks of my base keep disappearing? Is my behemoth just snacking on infrastructure?

Gonna need more details to have any ideas. What kind of stuff is disappearing, what kind of frequency, etc.

I recall I had something that would delete buildings like my horseshoe pin or kneel pillows randomly, but I eventually figured out it was mod related - I think it was when an event from a more events mod occurred? It's been a while so I may be misremembering. I decided I didn't really care about that mod so I took it out and that was that.

Owlchemist's window mod also might have a bug where if an item is occupying the same tile as the window (like when you strip a corpse next to the window and the stuff gets dumped all around it) and then you save and reload, the window gets deleted. I only had it happen once though and I didn't test it thoroughly to verify.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There is also an item and structure limit in Rimworld and going above it means it can just start disappearing bits of your base.

It is pretty high but if you have a large base with a lot of decoration you can definitely hit it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

isndl posted:

Gonna need more details to have any ideas. What kind of stuff is disappearing, what kind of frequency, etc.

I recall I had something that would delete buildings like my horseshoe pin or kneel pillows randomly, but I eventually figured out it was mod related - I think it was when an event from a more events mod occurred? It's been a while so I may be misremembering. I decided I didn't really care about that mod so I took it out and that was that.

Owlchemist's window mod also might have a bug where if an item is occupying the same tile as the window (like when you strip a corpse next to the window and the stuff gets dumped all around it) and then you save and reload, the window gets deleted. I only had it happen once though and I didn't test it thoroughly to verify.

it seems like anything can disappear, but only ever in 1x3 blocks. So, chunks of wall, chunks of fence, chunks of pipeline, my paste dispenser, etc. I've only been alerted to this by the fact that some rooms have stopped being rooms or when stuff stops working, which has just been weird.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Greedy is actually a straight permanent mood buff, once you meet their need for a high stat room, it's Jealous that's the really annoying one.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don’t think Greedy ever gives a mood buff beyond the usual mood buff people get for having a nice room, it just gives a worse than usual debuff for having a bad room. It’s pretty easy to get it to the point where the trait doesn’t do anything though, a normal quality large wooden sculpture in a 4x3 bedroom is all you need.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I don't have Royalty so I always throw Psychic Deaf on my genomes for free points and immunity to droning.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Psy-Dull and Psy-Deaf are definitely positive traits in like 70% of situations. Being able to ignore/minimize psychic drones is pretty great and you can always just make someone else a dedicated psy-caster.

The only real downsides are you can't benefit as much from some of the better psychic powers or emanators but that's always felt like a really good trade-off to me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wouldn't Masochist be a positive trait too? Can help a lot with reducing mental breaks after combat if on a fighter and they get hurt, and if they end up with scars it becomes a permanent mood buff. Not huge usually but turning a -5 into a +3 or whatever it is ain't nothing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mzbundifund posted:

I don’t think Greedy ever gives a mood buff beyond the usual mood buff people get for having a nice room, it just gives a worse than usual debuff for having a bad room. It’s pretty easy to get it to the point where the trait doesn’t do anything though, a normal quality large wooden sculpture in a 4x3 bedroom is all you need.

Huh, I must misremember this, I thought it had a positive side :negative:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ms Adequate posted:

Wouldn't Masochist be a positive trait too? Can help a lot with reducing mental breaks after combat if on a fighter and they get hurt, and if they end up with scars it becomes a permanent mood buff. Not huge usually but turning a -5 into a +3 or whatever it is ain't nothing.

That's the one I went with, I can give her a (fashion-only!) slave collar and body strap for a mood buff, and eventually a mindscrew for a permanent boost to mood (-4% consciousness, but not enough to worry about). It's technically a pretty good trait! And tortured artist and psychically deaf have technical niche uses as mentioned, but I don't think I've ever had a spread of trait choices which screamed "traumatic childhood" harder than that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah, Masochist is strictly positive. It’s situational and I don’t usually like to keep pain scars around permanently because masochist doesn’t stop pain from negatively affecting stats like move speed and manipulation, but at least masochist never has any downsides.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Thrumbofur body straps are surprisingly protective.

And there's even a mod to make ideology specific body straps: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3030158240

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Reveilled posted:

That's the one I went with, I can give her a (fashion-only!) slave collar and body strap for a mood buff, and eventually a mindscrew for a permanent boost to mood (-4% consciousness, but not enough to worry about). It's technically a pretty good trait! And tortured artist and psychically deaf have technical niche uses as mentioned, but I don't think I've ever had a spread of trait choices which screamed "traumatic childhood" harder than that.

The treelings from that one mod I used (Euglena?) very rarely get more than 1-2 trait choices. It's awesome to see this:

Choose your trait:
Lazy

Or

Choose your trait:
Lazy
Gourmand

Like, what the poo poo, these kids grew up in a billion-dollar colony with a dedicated classroom and 4 teachers with 20s in relevant skills. WHY ARE THEY SO loving DUMB.

Oh yeah. Treelings. You're lazy, eh? Good news, all you'll ever have to do, in your entire life, is dance around this tree 18+ hours a day.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HelloSailorSign posted:

Thrumbofur body straps are surprisingly protective.

And there's even a mod to make ideology specific body straps: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3030158240

I don't care how much of a mood buff they give I am not adding nipple clamps to my colony

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

I don't care how much of a mood buff they give I am not adding nipple clamps to my colony

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Danaru posted:

add the superior buddhist shibari instead

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Embrace animalist superiority.

They have the best power armor helmets too.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Greedy is actually a straight permanent mood buff, once you meet their need for a high stat room, it's Jealous that's the really annoying one.

How the hell do you manage jealous anyway? I always end up putting those pawns down.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jealous is pretty easy as long as you only have one(and there's not other annoying factors involved like someone being jealous when they're not your big shot noble). Having more than one of them is a lovely annoyance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Have all the jealous people be involved in one big polycule

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I handle jealous by completely ignoring them complaining. They can either get positive mood buffs elsewhere or they can cope.

isndl
May 2, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh yeah. Treelings. You're lazy, eh? Good news, all you'll ever have to do, in your entire life, is dance around this tree 18+ hours a day.

If they are Very Sleepy you can try plugging in a circadian half-cycler so they can learn day and night! A little bit of lost consciousness doesn't hurt when they're not doing anything important anyways. You can take it out when they're done growing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Circadian half cyclers dip -15% consciousness, but neural superchargers can offset +10% of that. I've never experimented with them but I've wanted to for a while

E: Recently I also realized that biosculptor medic cycles cure slow rear end diseases like sleeping sickness and malaria. It's also great for VRE Genies who have no immune system :v:

E2: Luci also gives +10% :unsmigghh:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 8, 2023

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If it's the same tree people mod that I tried, there is a +2700% modifier to growth, so the kids grow up in like 3 days. They go through growth moments more often the luciferium.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Danaru posted:

Circadian half cyclers dip -15% consciousness, but neural superchargers can offset +10% of that. I've never experimented with them but I've wanted to for a while

E: Recently I also realized that biosculptor medic cycles cure slow rear end diseases like sleeping sickness and malaria. It's also great for VRE Genies who have no immune system :v:

E2: Luci also gives +10% :unsmigghh:

Pollution Stimulus gene is +5% consciousness I believe.

Half-cyclers do have an indirect impact on moods as pawns will never sleep and so they won’t get a regular top-up on their comfort bar and will also become perfectly celibate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm trying real hard to be an rear end in a top hat this run since I'm empire aligned, but I've straight up had it with slavery. I know a big part of it is that my base has uninterrupted pathing to the edge of the map (works great for baiting raiders to try to race my turrets) but seriously I've dealt with three rebellions recently despite having straps and collars and I'm sick of the downtime :mad: My next map is gonna be a deserter run even if the deserter sucks dammit

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

are your slaves allowed in the rooms where you store weapons or like carrying things in their inventories that count as weapons? because both those can cause revolt chance to spike up

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Wood and beer both used to count as weapons, but not sure if they still do. Either way, keep them out of your weapons locker and maybe wood storage?
Also lobotomize them. Or remove some bodyparts depending on what you use them for. They can haul with just one wooden peg leg.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:cripes: I forgot to keep weapons seperate from my general storage, now it makes more sense

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Danaru posted:

I'm trying real hard to be an rear end in a top hat this run since I'm empire aligned, but I've straight up had it with slavery. I know a big part of it is that my base has uninterrupted pathing to the edge of the map (works great for baiting raiders to try to race my turrets) but seriously I've dealt with three rebellions recently despite having straps and collars and I'm sick of the downtime :mad: My next map is gonna be a deserter run even if the deserter sucks dammit

Slavery isn't even any more useful than just having a pawn run around cleaning up everyone's vomit and bedpans. It's not like some jobs are so bad that nobody should do them, even mining is risk-free and some pawns are happier mining than sitting in a bath or whatever.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Slavery is JUST the rear end in a top hat option, just like in real life there is no reason to engage in slavery

isndl
May 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Slavery isn't even any more useful than just having a pawn run around cleaning up everyone's vomit and bedpans. It's not like some jobs are so bad that nobody should do them, even mining is risk-free and some pawns are happier mining than sitting in a bath or whatever.

Slavery has a few perks like the inherent expectations boost, job restrictions override, and removal of the recreation need so they get more work done. It tends to be very strong in early colonies but by late game it's less useful.

Slaves are also another excellent candidate for circadian half-cyclers, as the consciousness penalty reduces escape attempts and no recreation need means they don't need breaks except for food. Then the brain implant gives you EMP weapons as a fast and easy way to safely down them when they do attempt to escape, it's basically win-win-win as long as you aren't using them for crafting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

Slaves require no recreation and they have a huge intrinsic mood boost, these are big advantages for a pawn that's just cleaning up vomit and hauling around rocks all day. They have a workspeed penalty so when it comes to skilled labor it's kind of a wash, no point in having an enslaved crafter imo. And it also takes a lot less time to enslave them than it does to recruit, and some pawns are impossible to recruit

There was an exploit for awhile where you could much more quickly recruit people by simply enslaving them first and then instantly freeing them, I don't know whether that's been fixed but it was a pretty funny loophole.

Personally I use robots for all of my hauling and cleaning, it just makes a lot more sense imo. But before you could do that, yeah I had slaves sometimes

e: Oh yeah and for awhile you could also basically delete job restriction from a pawn by enslaving them first, for some reason when they were freed their "won't do X" attributes caused by various character backgrounds wouldn't come back. It's like therapy!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 9, 2023

How!
Oct 29, 2009

This thread is always a trip for a few paragraphs if you forget where you’re at

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Enslave robots, it's pretty effective imo

I think it would be cool if there was a rare Maximum Overdrive type event, where even your simple mechanoid machines all rebel simultaneously. Maybe make it conditional on the human population being above a certain size

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The Maximum Overdrive event needs to like... Have the nutrient paste dispenser yeet meals at pawns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How does the deserter faction mod work out with multiple settlements? Is the heat shared between the two, would the doom laser hit both settlements at once? Or is it possible to split your heat between the two bases