Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I explicitly like the pulse shield for when bosses hit their hp < 25% desperation phase. I use it to face tank Snailteus' giant Lazer, Igazu's claw blade, Enforcers lance grab, and half of phase 2 Ibis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have never used anything but assault armor and never will

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I didn't participate due to previous commitments (plus I'm bad) but managed to catch most of it live. Double zimmerman heavwyweight (shoulder drones/missiles/shield) sees much more representation in the JP meta than on global, with the primary reason speculated on being consistent low latency in their scene just kind of growing the playstyle arms race in a different direction, but I think it's mostly down to your piloting needing to be completely cracked to play CQC builds successfully in a competitive context, as double zimm Risa or only LW in the double elimination stage Ramen demonstrated.

Hiwami was JP representation and dominant through both the swiss stage and double elimination with his VEB FASAN chair, showing off why FASAN and chairs are both rated highly in the scene over there. Discoh is I think the most dedicated rat pilot around here in the West so I wasn't exactly surprised to see him perform, though anyone who hadn't been scrimming with him for the prior week was at least momentarily astonished his iterated solution to the build lock rat matchups was manual nebula sniping. What I think truly caught everyone by surprise at the time, though, was Tikku seemingly brute forcing their way through the tournament via counterpicking against the shield meta with a double morley tetra of all things. Folks are still scratching their heads regarding morley's competitive viability, but Tikku succeeded in both raising respect for the weapon, and demonstrating they're an excellent pilot by turning unfamiliarity with the matchup against their own homebrewed build into a decisive advantage vs other top players.

On that note, Discoh - who is not allowed to sell himself too short given the tournament results - likes bringing up that he's not very flexible and relies on labbing and practice to drill solutions into himself, whereas players like Hiwami or SeaKnight are amazing in how you can see them solving for unfamiliar tough matchups in real time. As AC6 is essentially a fighting game where rather than picking from a preset the opponent puts together their own character's moveset, that's naturally an incredible skill to possess.

Regarding game balance, while there's parts and mechanical nuances that need a look at (buerzel/assault boost, bazookas/tank stance, shields, melee that isn't HMMR, RJs, kinetics) there's overall a healthy amount of variety available for player skill expression. I believe we reached a stage where AC6 is being held back by its anemic multiplayer implementation (forget bad netcode, why can't you see people's pings in the lobby??) more than anything else.

Personally, I've pretty much given up on 1v1 because of the lag situation down here in Aus. I assume it's the classic "japanese devs don't care about netcode because the tiny island of japan is basically a LAN" thing. I believe projectiles are clientside or something so explosives feel stupid op. I wonder what the chances are of them doing anything about any of it.

I'm not very good though I really enjoy watching the game at a high level. Do you know any other youtube or twitch channels covering matches?

The interview with Discoh at the end was pretty interesting, his explanation of how he built his mech was great - kind of reminds me of deckbuilding in magic, making sure he had different ways to deal with everything (ie picking a core woth slightly worse attributes for the extra 200 stability or whatever to avoid stun from dual zims) as opposed to the people who built for a specific tactic.

I was rooting for sea knight from the start, but tikku won me over. I have never used the hammer on a quad and didn't realise you could move forward using it to get the second hit, pretty clever. Morley's were a cool meta pick, though I don't really understand the shield mechanics enough to get why they worked - I assume either multiple hits or just the massive impact damage cracks them super fast. I'd also never seen or used the fasan so I'll definitely try that out lol.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Morleys were always stronger than songbirds and needles at close range, they just weren't enough better to be worth the extra weight. I used them a lot when I played because I was trying to avoid the overpowered weapons.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 9, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Hit registration is all attacker-side except missiles, which are tracked defender-side. Combine that with latency and proximity detonation and it's why you get smacked by zooks that looked like they flew past your screen.

Mostly whenever there's a tourney or interesting fight club going on, peeps on discord will bring it up and I'll give a watch so I don't keep a stream list ready :shobon:

RE Morleys, like Sindai says they've got really good numbers, caveat is a significant firing delay and the spread limiting range. They're particularly effective against shields between the high impact and because having it up expands your hitbox, meaning higher likelihood to eat all pellets (or from further away).

In other news, looks like official guide source Future Press accidentally leaked upcoming Patch 1.05 changes, including 4 new weapons and a full frame: https://www.future-press.com/acvi/updates/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Captain Foo posted:

I have never used anything but assault armor and never will

Terminal armour so you don't have to think and can get those sweet just about to die kills.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Very cool and exciting that they're adding new parts and weapons in a patch

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Terminal armour so you don't have to think and can get those sweet just about to die kills.

Yep. Don't got the brainpower to manage activated expansions, or maybe just not enough buttons on my mouse.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

In other news, looks like official guide source Future Press accidentally leaked upcoming Patch 1.05 changes, including 4 new weapons and a full frame: https://www.future-press.com/acvi/updates/

lol someone copy pasted the wrong line on the split missile launchers. One of them got the "guidance" buffed to 145 but all 3 of them got the "max lock count" listed as 145 which is about 137-139 more locks than missiles

also lmao the karasawa loving sucks (it's I think the heaviest arm weapon in the game and doesnt do enough damage quickly enough to justify it) and their buff was to double the ammo but use twice as much ammo when doing a charged shot

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Conspiratiorist posted:

:eyepop: shoulder mounted miniguns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This thing kept me alive long enough to kill ______________Iguazu_________________ in the final final final final final mission with 1 hp left, no ammo, and just throwing a wild spin-kick, connecting and getting the win. It was so loving cool, though it was very satisfying to S-Rank the mission later by just obliterating everybody.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Basticle posted:

also lmao the karasawa loving sucks (it's I think the heaviest arm weapon in the game and doesnt do enough damage quickly enough to justify it) and their buff was to double the ammo but use twice as much ammo when doing a charged shot

That's from last patch, actually! There's many highlighted changes in there that have already been implemented.

Due to that and the noted errors I wouldn't hold any numbers to be final, but all those new parts are for sure in the pipeline, and likely the kinetics buffs and buerzel nerf in some fashion.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NEW PARTS :woop:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Basticle posted:

the karasawa and by extension the moonlight blade are not about being good

they are about stunting on people who played Armored Core (PSX) (1997)

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

and schneider quad legs gently caress gotta play it again

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
terminal armor is a good default since you can just play expansionless and if you gently caress up you at least have a chance to get back into the fight by holding a repair kit, since itll be very hard for your repair animation to be locked out by dumbass random melee attacks RUSTY

assault armor is really strong for pressing advantages eg when people get momentarily stuck on terrain. pulse armor is pretty good but being both time and durability gated on something you have to manually activate is a lil annoying. pulse protection is a meme and imo mostly a way to nerf some of the pve encounters by giving them a nonbutton in that slot (michigan being the biggest loser since hed be even more terrifying with a better option here)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The tiniest possible buffs to ARs. What are they so afraid of with these?

A nice meaty wuerger buff I like.

HUGE weight reduction on morley which is entirely warranted. (It's really hard to see the difference between an 8 and 6 in this font.)

Kind of confused by the weight reduction on plasma missiles, they already felt pretty light for what they could do, but I'm not complaining.

Excited to see HMG arms, but with some quick mental math they're about as weak as the existing ARs, have shorter range, and are heavier. They seem to combine all the bad parts of both ARs and MGs.

Shoulder gatlings are welcome so that we can now pick from two (2) full auto shoulder weapons.

Lack of a lightweight quad frame was really noticeable so that's great.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 9, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

HEAVY ARMS LIVES

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quadruple gatling.....

could it be possible?????

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

They won best action game and we get extra back weapons as a treat.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
That new Schneider AC set looks wild.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Genuinely I don't get why they built the arms and shoulders in the game to not let all weapons be totally interchangeable on them.

I kinda get the reasoning behind "melee weapons on left arm only" but otherwise I dunno.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I really feel like there is something special here in terms of a multiplayer game that is just generally hamstrung by anemic support. Even just more lobby options and visible ping would do wonders. I don't keep tabs on whatever is high level competitive, just finding a lobby with decent ping between players or creating one. I'd love for there be a match making system, but I won't hold my breath on that at all.

New parts is awesome, though. I could probably be distracted and lead along forever with just periodic part patches. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

quadruple gatling.....

could it be possible?????

:stwoon:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finally, Heavyarms cosplay.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

They need to bring back weapon arms, but just for the dual laser blade arms. Give it that X slash that IBIS does. :c00l:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

War Wizard posted:

They need to bring back weapon arms, but just for the dual laser blade arms. Give it that X slash that IBIS does. :c00l:

You are a bold one.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hit registration is all attacker-side except missiles, which are tracked defender-side. Combine that with latency and proximity detonation and it's why you get smacked by zooks that looked like they flew past your screen.

Mostly whenever there's a tourney or interesting fight club going on, peeps on discord will bring it up and I'll give a watch so I don't keep a stream list ready :shobon:

RE Morleys, like Sindai says they've got really good numbers, caveat is a significant firing delay and the spread limiting range. They're particularly effective against shields between the high impact and because having it up expands your hitbox, meaning higher likelihood to eat all pellets (or from further away).

It’s gone now

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
https://files.catbox.moe/yy8jwu.mp4

Could the Double Trouble always lunge quite this far? I thought I hosed up and would stop a mile short.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Batigh posted:

Could the Double Trouble always lunge quite this far? I thought I hosed up and would stop a mile short.

Booster matters for the charged lunge

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Liberator of Rubicon ending:

If you're like me, you were so amped up after Snailteaus that you mowed through Walter in 30 seconds. I put the game down for a while, then picked it back up to play that sequence again. Take a couple minutes with Handler Walter, let all the dialogue play out. The music, dialogue, and even pacing of his charged Coral attacks blend well. The longer, slower fight was much more cinematic and meaningful than my first run.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Batigh posted:

If you stack melee gear you can get a really long lunge.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Liberator of Rubicon ending:

If you're like me, you were so amped up after Snailteaus that you mowed through Walter in 30 seconds. I put the game down for a while, then picked it back up to play that sequence again. Take a couple minutes with Handler Walter, let all the dialogue play out. The music, dialogue, and even pacing of his charged Coral attacks blend well. The longer, slower fight was much more cinematic and meaningful than my first run.

My canonical endings are all interrupting everyone with a chainsaw.

Walter: You finally found... A-
621: *mechanical whirling grinding against metal*

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Something I noticed while blasting through the campaign again yesterday is how much better AC 6 hides its level reuse then it's predecessors. I didn't even notice that it was happening most of the time until my third playthrough. They do things like change the time of day or whether, or have you starting on the opposite end of the stage, etc. Another thing that helps is the sheer density of detail in the stages - visually busy but in a awesome way

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Big Bizness posted:

Something I noticed while blasting through the campaign again yesterday is how much better AC 6 hides its level reuse then it's predecessors. I didn't even notice that it was happening most of the time until my third playthrough. They do things like change the time of day or whether, or have you starting on the opposite end of the stage, etc. Another thing that helps is the sheer density of detail in the stages - visually busy but in a awesome way

I did get tired of THE WALL by the end, but yeah they did a good job of using different parts of that level over and over.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Where the heck is the chainsaw I’m on the last drat boss already

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Where the heck is the chainsaw I’m on the last drat boss already

It's in chapter 3, the mission to kill Honest Brute. I don't recall exactly where the chest is, there's like 4 parts in that level.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Big Bizness posted:

I noticed it right away and felt it was great. This is actually something that has been done throughout the series. It gives the stages meaning, that these are actual locations being fought for and squabbled over by the megacorps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont mind the recycled maps at all though for all the effort 621 goes through to cross the central ocean field using a giant cannon it does feel rather silly that some missions will send you back to the central Belius region with no explanation for how you flew all the way back just to take a few more swings at The Wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont mind the recycled maps at all though for all the effort 621 goes through to cross the central ocean field using a giant cannon it does feel rather silly that some missions will send you back to the central Belius region with no explanation for how you flew all the way back just to take a few more swings at The Wall.

You the player character are trying to sneak over so the PCA doesn't lose their poo poo.

They lose their poo poo anyway in the first episode of chapter 3 so might as well go loud with the flying.