Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

extremely bizarre concept, just... volunteering at a commercial store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

amigolupus posted:

And she gave her spot to her dad, too. Imagine actively choosing to be less cool than your own dad lmao.

It's :psyduck: why Moy thinks we're supposed to root for Keith. Guy's this close to giving a MAGA-rear end rant, and he's already being territorial over his ex-girlfriend (and after only one date, no less)

I think that with Mary’s help, everyone is going to learn that the truth is in the middle and everyone can get along with a little compromise.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

someone awful. posted:

I can see it in like... Mayberry

Otherwise lmao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

amigolupus posted:

What tattoos??? Holbrook, you lazy hack.
Dethany is canonically covered in tattoos and has multiple peircings. Holbrook refuses to draw them because it would be too fiddly. He created the character and has full control over her appearance and could simply have said that she doesn't have any visible tattoos or piercings, or has a small number that would be no trouble to draw. :mad:

Powered Descent posted:

Is it just me or has Savarna de-aged by a good 20 years or so? Suddenly she's gone from murder-milf to a coed at Lost Woods U.
It seems to me that they're doing that deliberately, in a vain attempt to make it seem less weird that Kit is probably going to start dating his dad's ex-girlfriend (from when he mistakenly believed he was a widower)? It also seems like Kit the Elder and Diana are weirdly on board with this, even though they (or Diana at least) is strangely set on Kit the Younger ending up with Kadia? Very weird vibes from everything about this.

catlord posted:

Microwave coffee?
Instant, I guess, if you don't have a kettle?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

Dethany is canonically covered in tattoos and has multiple peircings. Holbrook refuses to draw them because it would be too fiddly. He created the character and has full control over her appearance and could simply have said that she doesn't have any visible tattoos or piercings, or has a small number that would be no trouble to draw. :mad:

It particularly stands out (and grates even more) because now Fiona in K&K has more visible piercings than Dethany does.

Tiggum posted:

Instant, I guess, if you don't have a kettle?

I guess. I'm not a coffee snob but even so, I find the idea of microwave coffee... repellant.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ellie the beep posted:

the father is still in the picture and unwed mothers are not cool, but uchida has a fairly provocative sense of humour so she acts like an unwed mother to prank people

Yeah I’m not pulling all the sex scenes back up but they looked like different dudes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah I’m not pulling all the sex scenes back up but they looked like different dudes.
She's still with her boyfriend, but I don't think they're sexually exclusive. I'm not even... 100% if they're romantically exclusive, though we haven't really seen anything to indicate otherwise.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

someone awful. posted:

Yeah, this is really hard to imagine. What if she'd insult a customer, or break something, and you'd really let her touch the register? :psyduck:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 05, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

someone awful. posted:

lead paint

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 12/3/03

I don't consistently love "Get Fuzzy" as much as I used to back in the day, but I love that Bucky is stepping in to defend Satchel, in-character.

Whether or not it's intentional, it's satisfying seeing Satch take so much abuse and then Buck gets his first line of the week to remind shithead dad "yeah, but you're also a loser so, like, write that down."

It's the closest Bucky can get to saying "yeah, Satchel is an idiot, but he's my idiot."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Classic :siren: UNTRANSLATABLE FINGERPORI :siren:

The important phrase here is "koirien karatessa", "karatessa" once again being a homonym.

The first meaning is the second infinitive form of "karata", to run away. Due to the way Finnish words and loan words conjugate, the inessive form (indicating for instance something the subject is inside of, but also has other meanings) of "karate" is also "karatessa".

And so we end up with a sentence that can mean either "When dogs run away", or "in dogs' karate".

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Crab Dad posted:

It'll be cleared up a bit in the end-of-chapter essay, but basically: she's living with her boyfriend, but he's not the father of her son (and knows it), and she basically sleeps with other people if she feels like it and he's cool with, or at least accepting of, her doing so. I suppose in TYOOL 2023 we'd say polyamorous / ethically non-monogamous or something of that ilk, but I do get the impression she's playing up the sleeping-around angle for gags in a lot of these comics - as she said in the first essay, the whole thing is not strictly biographical. The timeline isn't entirely clear, but some time between when the comics were originally written and when they were collected, they do get married, but with no expectation she'll stop sleeping with other people (but that said, volume 2 has a lot less sleeping-around humor).

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 9, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Is it just me or has Savarna de-aged by a good 20 years or so? Suddenly she's gone from murder-milf to a coed at Lost Woods U.
Yeah I was about to post about it. It's like she's suddenly near Kit's age.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They had a fill-in artist for the Phantom dailies for a while, and I think the original artist is back; that could partially explain her drifting on and off model?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 05, 2002)

A comic about not loving.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

LvK posted:

I don't consistently love "Get Fuzzy" as much as I used to back in the day, but I love that Bucky is stepping in to defend Satchel, in-character.

Whether or not it's intentional, it's satisfying seeing Satch take so much abuse and then Buck gets his first line of the week to remind shithead dad "yeah, but you're also a loser so, like, write that down."

It's the closest Bucky can get to saying "yeah, Satchel is an idiot, but he's my idiot."

"Nobody gets to be a dick to Satchel but me" is pretty on-brand for Bucky, yeah. Which makes the one time Satchel yells at him and Bucky panics better. "Oh hell I went too far. Rob, save me from the consequences of my actions"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Aaaand there's the grumbling about the lovely kids and perceived victimhood I was expecting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Kids these days, with their growing independence and their goddamn wanting to have their own lives that don't revolve around me! :argh:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Wishing riderchop's union to be all the Arlo and Janis and none of the Amos and Edda (which I'm still not posting).

You'll notice I didn't wish you a Ted and Sally Forth. Well...

Honestly I don't feel any sympathy for the Forths since they keep dragging her there against her will.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse
Expecting your child to come straight home and prepare dinner seems extremely odd to me. Like, why do your kids expect you to provide food for them? I dunno, Lynn, maybe because you're the parent and it's your responsibility? You're the one who made the decisions that resulted in this situation and imposed it on them. And you know there was no discussion or negotiation, she just said "you're responsible for dinner now, liz".

His Divine Shadow posted:

Honestly I don't feel any sympathy for the Forths since they keep dragging her there against her will.
Jackie says "I thought you'd like to be with family for the holidays" but she knows that's not true. Her mother made it clear on multiple occasions that she would prefer to be with her friends, but Sally and Jackie have consistently ignored that and basically forced her to be here. No one would react well to this.

Actually, there some similarities between the way Elly Patterson (yeah, I know her name's not Lynn) treats her kids and the way Sally and Jackie treat their mother.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House, featuring a good old-fashioned regicide for the holiday play. (December 6, 1924)

Imagine! Playing Caesar while looking like a common Gaul!

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 04, 1960)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers are boring

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

Expecting your child to come straight home and prepare dinner seems extremely odd to me. Like, why do your kids expect you to provide food for them? I dunno, Lynn, maybe because you're the parent and it's your responsibility? You're the one who made the decisions that resulted in this situation and imposed it on them. And you know there was no discussion or negotiation, she just said "you're responsible for dinner now, liz".

Jackie says "I thought you'd like to be with family for the holidays" but she knows that's not true. Her mother made it clear on multiple occasions that she would prefer to be with her friends, but Sally and Jackie have consistently ignored that and basically forced her to be here. No one would react well to this.

Actually, there some similarities between the way Elly Patterson (yeah, I know her name's not Lynn) treats her kids and the way Sally and Jackie treat their mother.

The whole mom drama in Sally Forth reads very realistic to me. Some people really do put themselves through hell dealing with lovely family because “They’re Family” and god forbid you don’t spend holidays with your family.

Medenmath posted:

Imagine! Playing Caesar while looking like a common Gaul!

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 04, 1960)

Arthur is so happy to get Val out of his hair for at least a year.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 9, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

lol here we go

i got married during the break btw, it owns

Being married does own! Congratulations, may you have a relationship at least as functional as The Lockhorns!

maybeadracula posted:

I can see it in like... Mayberry

Otherwise lmao

Listen I have dedicated five+ years of my life to a deeply-cursed attempt to become the world's foremost expert on "what the gently caress was up with Mayberry" and I can assure you that nothing like this has occurred there (through Season Five at least).

The closest we've gotten so far was when one kid pointed out to Opie that it was hosed up how Opie got the same allowance no matter how many or how few chores he did, and when Opie asked Andy about it, Andy's response was to convince Opie that both kids were being spoiled shits, and to convince the other kid's dad into beating his son more often.

Also, more like "mayberryadracula."

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

And that's a wrap on that storyline, folks! Next!

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

öööööö

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Very good

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
oh my goodness how is Wallace always so good :3:

Jucika "428 - Jucika Is Ungrateful"

"429 - Jucika And The Inventory"

"leltár = Inventory, üveg = bottle"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Intern posted:

The whole mom drama in Sally Forth reads very realistic to me. Some people really do put themselves through hell dealing with lovely family because “They’re Family” and god forbid you don’t spend holidays with your family.
Yep, very much agree. My wife and her mother do not have a good relationship at all, and wife finally stopped even trying when her ailing father died since the only reason she was staying in touch with them was to spend time with him while she still could.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

öööööö

Decades ago I worked with a guy who did the “jaw dislocation by yawning “ thing, he had to go to an ER, get a shot of muscle relaxant in his jaw muscles, then get his jaw wrestled back into alignment. I recall that it was pretty painful.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts, in which Doozy tries to close the sale.

Santa's Victory Christmas, featuring the true spirit of the holidays: office work. (December 9, 1942)

Sally Forth, in which half of the readership gets their wish. The other half's in for a world of pain.

Peanuts (December 11, 1976)

Cranskshaft

So Funky held on to the top floor for retirement income?

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (April 25-27, 1935)

So to summarize the story to this point, Lem is an impossibly trusting soul with murder in his heart.

Thimble Theater (July 13, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 8-10, 1943)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

His Divine Shadow posted:

It would be better if they left her there to rot alone until she died but sally and her sister keep touching the hot stove

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Kids these days, with their growing independence and their goddamn wanting to have their own lives that don't revolve around me! :argh:

Been there. Her anger holds back her fear.

Green Intern posted:

Yup; we did this until my mom died last year. My mom wasn't the issue - in fact, she was the impetus; she had a lovely family life growing up, so she biased hard into trying to keep us all together. Now that she's gone, we can go our separate ways at the holidays.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hippocrass posted:

A comic about not loving.

yet

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

manero posted:

Pluggers are boring

I am doxxed, at home and at work

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I think many in this thread have been a little harsh on Kieth in this story (he's kind of a dick but not demonstrably a monster), but this right here is for sure a red flag.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

lol

Apartment 3-G

This should go well.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Like Elizabeth, I was also a mostly pretty good kid back in the time before cell phones and if I had been unexpectedly super late getting home from somewhere my mom's reaction would not have been "my daughter is such a loving bitch wait until she gets home so I can do some teen murder" so much as "oh no, I hope nothing bad happened to my daughter." She might have even tried calling my friends' houses to see if I was there. But we weren't Canadian, so maybe this is just how they do it up there.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I am doxxed, at home and at work

Thankfully, I was saved by not wanting to do the letter in the first place.

Luann

She's just such a good writer, you guys! :swoon:

Gil Thorp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doubleposting because this seems like more than an ETA

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I think many in this thread have been a little harsh on Kieth in this story (he's kind of a dick but not demonstrably a monster), but this right here is for sure a red flag.

Agreed. For me I think this is the tip off that Moy is intentionally not writing this dude as just a sweet guy who wants to see his daughter. She didn't necessarily intend for readers to think of him as a facist, but Moy knows he's got issues.

I'm still wondering about the portrayal of the daughter, though.