Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think all our 'mechs have to make it for it to count as a victory, right? if so there's no choice now whether to slug it out, at least to cover for the MAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Kablooey posted:

I think all our 'mechs have to make it for it to count as a victory, right? if so there's no choice now whether to slug it out, at least to cover for the MAD

Yep, Primary objective is 4/4 escape

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You don't get partial completion for part of the force escaping?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

MekHQ lets me assign degrees of victory / defeat for any given mission. These include Decisive Victory, Victory, Marginal Victory, Pyrrhic Victory, Draw, Marginal Defeat, Defeat, and Decisive Defeat. Losing a mech will fail the primary objective, but I'm willing to give the players a Marginal Victory as long as the remaining three make it out.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Would be good to get the clarification on that, but (Answer came in while I was typing) yeah I'm expecting I'm just going to be drawing the attention this turn. Figure I should shoot up the Sentinel while kicking the Commando.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

Losing a mech will fail the primary objective, but I'm willing to give the players a Marginal Victory as long as the remaining three make it out.
We should try to save the Marauder if we can, if we can clear the way forward it may be able to run to woods ahead of it, but there may be nothing we can do. It all depends on how much work Narrow Profile and the forest put in for us. If it survives, we may be able to give covering fire and save it, if not we should just press on.

Either way, we should endeavor to make the loss of the Marauder pale in comparison to what they lose. :black101:

Also from a narrative perspective, I don't mind having our opponents pull a partial victory out of this. They've been training hard to make it this far, if they can make a partial success they'll have earned it. I wouldn't exactly call killing 1/4th of an attacking lance a success, (especially if we successfully kill half their team in return) but it's a hell of a lot better than their first outing was

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think taking out the most powerful unit of the attacking force is a pretty good outcome when you look at the relative pilot levels and respective force compositions

Actually stopping the enemy was probably not realistically achievable

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i'm two for two on falling over :v:

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Can a unit just spin in place to use running MP? Wondering if spinning up to running MP would allow for Evasive Action instead of shooting. Trying to picture this in my head is also hilarious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MP is determined by how far you move, not how fast I think?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

The Target Movement Modifier is determined by how far the target moved. The Attacker Movement Modifier is based on the MP used by the attacker, i.e., walking, running, or jumping MP. Using running MP to move 2 hexes doesn't give you any Target Movement Modifier, but you still eat the +2 Attacker Movement Modifier for using running MP.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Farseli posted:

Can a unit just spin in place to use running MP? Wondering if spinning up to running MP would allow for Evasive Action instead of shooting. Trying to picture this in my head is also hilarious.

It would be pretty silly, but it is within the rules as written. Unfortunately Mike doesn't have the Evasive Action SPA so it's not an option for you.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

Oh, right, completely forgot that it's an SPA. But now that I know it I'm gonna make it happen in another game just because. Orders submitted.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Farseli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlhgAkJBos

But in a mech.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Oh my god, I just thought about what that'd almost be the equivalent of. Not just what Volmarias posted, but a 360s no-scope.

All a player has to do is couch (which isn't in BT rules... to my knowledge) up and down on a downed enemy and it's complete.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

sorry my brain is fried and i can't think about math for my orders, QKD i want to stand up and go vaguely south a bit and shoot the sentinel with medium lasers and cool down a bit

if someone posts some version of that to be my orders/if Scintilla could just make me do something along those lines that would be great please and thank you

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

biosterous posted:

sorry my brain is fried and i can't think about math for my orders, QKD i want to stand up and go vaguely south a bit and shoot the sentinel with medium lasers and cool down a bit

if someone posts some version of that to be my orders/if Scintilla could just make me do something along those lines that would be great please and thank you

Considering the way you got knocked down... this is a lot harder to plot out than I thought. It's rough. I think the best thing to do would be uh... I have no idea. We're dealing with a hell of a handicap. You're losing at least 2 MP from standing up, and turning around would take 2 or 3 more, since you're overheating that leaves you with 1 or 2 MP to spend on movement.

I think the best option may literally be to just, stand up, walk two steps backwards, and see who we can hit with a torso twist?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

glwgameplayer posted:

You're losing at least 2 MP from standing up, and turning around would take 2 or 3 more

You can face any direction when you stand up.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can face any direction when you stand up.

Considering I didn't know that, you might want to reconsider letting me come up with the plan.

Anyway, I'll change my answer to standing up while turning to 0209 and running to 0211. From that position, we can do what bio suggested and light up the sentinel. However, I suggest only using 3 lasers so we can cool off the rest of the way

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Working on the update right now, and this song comes to mind.

Edit: Spoke too soon, three mechs have eaten dirt so far. It's like domino rally out here.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 10, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

Edit: Spoke too soon, three mechs have eaten dirt so far. It's like domino rally out here.

On one hand :black101:

On the other hand :pray: please don't be us please don't be us please don't be us...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Snow_Scar_[3901]: Turn 9

A mixture of emotions swirled through Mike’s chest as he watched the Fusilier mechs descend on his Marauder like a pack of vultures. As a mechwarrior, he was dismayed that he had allowed himself to be encircled. An impetuousness he thought he had rid himself of had led him to overheat his mech, and its subsequent lack of mobility had allowed the nimbler Fusilier units to catch up and cut him off. It was a rookie mistake, and Mike was disappointed in himself for making it. As an instructor, however, he couldn’t be happier. The Fusiliers had sensed his weakness and immediately pounced on it. Their mechs moved in concert with one another, tightening the noose around his Marauder until there was nowhere left for him to run. As tactical manoeuvres went, it was textbook perfect.

Ahead, Anna’s Thunderbolt paused. The bulky mech’s profile shifted as it began to turn back towards Mike’s position. “Razor! drat it. Hold on, I’ll give you support-” Anna began, but Mike brusquely cut her off.

“Stay on mission, Mirage. Our objective is to reach the northern edge of the combat zone, and you’re nearly there. Keep heading north. I’ll hold the Fusiliers here as long as I can.”

“But they’ll tear you to pieces!”

Mike closed his eyes and sighed softly. Anna was a good kid, but she was still a bit too naïve for his liking. Part of it was probably her upbringing – the Outworlds Alliance had always been a peaceful and non-aggressive state, to the point where it hadn’t even had a standing army for a good chunk of its existence. Given that, it was perhaps unsurprising that Anna would struggle with concepts like cutting losses, battlefield triage and sacrificial plays. The hard truth was that warfare was a zero-sum game, and occasionally one of your guys had to take a fall so that everyone else could live another day.

“Yeah, they probably will. But that’s what happens when you screw up – so don’t make things worse by coming back. You’d just be throwing good money after bad, and as a professional merc, that really sticks in my craw. Now, get going!”

In the distance, Anna’s Thunderbolt turned back and began advancing north again. Mike relaxed slightly, then turned to face his soon-to-be destroyers. The Fusilier mechs seemed to hesitate as his Marauder raised its arm-mounted weapon pods, as if the reality that they were about to enter a firefight with one of the Inner Sphere’s most famous and feared heavy mechs was only just beginning to sink in.

“Alright then,” Mike growled as he powered up his Marauder’s weapons systems and braced the mech’s back against the steep hill behind him. “Come and have a go if you think you’re hard enough!”

Dervish DV-6M (Player) jumps into Deep Snow and automatically bogs down!

Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player) attempts to stand up. Needs 5, rolls 5: Succeeds!

Weapons fire for Dervish DV-6M (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Rear Left Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear Left Torso, 6/12 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! Three Critical Hits Sustained! Heat Sink Hit! Heat Sink Hit! AC/10 Ammunition Hit! AC/10 Ammunition explodes, dealing 80 damage! Pilot Hit! Pilot Hit!
---Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 80 damage to Left Torso, 0/12 Structure remaining. Left Torso destroyed! Left Arm blown off! 74 damage transfers to Centre Torso, 0/16 Structure remaining. Centre Torso destroyed! Mech destroyed by ammunition explosion!
-Fires LRM-10 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 9: 3 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 3 damage to Right Leg, 10/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-2 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Marauder MAD-3R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Left Arm! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Left Arm, 1/11 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 4, rolls 7: Hits Left Arm! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 0/11 Armour, 2/6 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Arm! Two Critical Hits sustained! Shoulder Hit! Large Laser Hit!
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 4, rolls 4: Hits Right Torso! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 10/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires AC/5 at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Head! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Head, 4/9 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!

Weapons fire for Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 1! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 1 damage to Centre Torso, 31/35 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-4 at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits! Narrow Profile imposes -4 malus: number of missile hits reduced to 2! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Leg (12/18 Armour remaining) and Left Torso (11/17 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Fires Large Laser at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 7, rolls 12: Hits Right Torso! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 8 damage to Right Torso, 0/17 Armour remaining.
-Fires Small Laser at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Centre Torso! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 1! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 1 damage to Centre Torso, 30/35 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-2 at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits! Narrow Profile imposes -4 malus: number of missile hits reduced to 1! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (14/16 Structure remaining). Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 10: 3 Missiles Hit! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (12/16 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), Right Torso (10/16 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)) and Left Torso (9/17 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-6 at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Dervish DV-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/10 at Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player); needs 10, rolls 10: Hits Right Leg! Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 24/29 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player); needs 10, rolls 10: Hits Rear Centre Torso! Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player) takes 5 damage to Rear Centre Torso, 6/11 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TBT-5S (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 12, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!

Physical attacks for Marauder MAD-3R (Player):
-Kicks Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 5, rolls 9: Hits Left Leg! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 15 damage to Left Leg, 0/8 Armour, 0/6 Structure remaining. Left Leg destroyed! 1 damage transfers to Left Torso, 5/6 Armour remaining. Mech destroyed!

--

Physical attacks for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Physical attacks for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Leg! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 4 damage to Right Leg, 8/18 Armour remaining.

Physical attacks for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Leg! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 8 damage to Right Leg, 0/18 Armour remaining.

Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Right Leg! Marauder MAD-3R (Player) takes 11 damage to Right Leg, 5/16 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Leg! No Critical Hits sustained.

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Marauder MAD-3R (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Dervish DV-6M (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Marauder MAD-3R (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Thunderbolt TDR-5S (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 3 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 7 heat, sinks 7 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Marauder MAD-3R (Player):
Took 20+ Damage; needs 6, rolls 8: Succeeds!
Was Kicked; needs 6, rolls 9: Succeeds!
Was Kicked; needs 6, rolls 7: Succeeds!
Was Kicked; needs 6, rolls 3: Fails!
-Marauder MAD-3R (Player) falls on its front, suffering 5 damage to Right Arm (13/22 Armour remaining) and 3 damage to Right Leg (2/16 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)).
--Critical Chance in Right Leg! No Critical Hits sustained.
--Mike Clements must roll a 6 to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 9: Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
Took 20+ Damage; needs 7, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
Missed a Kick; needs 6, rolls 4: Fails!
-Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) falls on its right side, suffering 5 damage to Right Torso (15/20 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Right Leg (15/16 Armour remaining).
--Jean-Paul Camus must roll a 6 to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 8: Succeeds!

--

Ricardo Hess (Sentinel STN-3KA) has taken 1 damage this turn! Ricardo Hess must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Ricardo Hess must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 8: Succeeds!

--

Dervish DV-6M (Player) attempts to break free of Deep Snow. Needs 5, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) attempts to stand carefully. Needs 4, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Hyper-Extending Actuators: The mech can reverse its arms as if it lacked Hand and Lower Arm Actuators.
-Multi-Trac: The mech does not suffer the usual penalties when splitting fire between multiple targets.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Ruby Lance reaches the Northern Map Border (0/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy at least three Fusilier battlemechs (2/3) (100,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy all six Fusilier battlemechs (2/6) (200,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 12th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 11, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1OurToVQRw

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mike is 2/2 in eating dirt isnt he

>.>

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
In hindsight I think we should have shot the hornet because it’s the only Mech that has a real chance of catching up to us. End it was nice and fragile so it would be an easy way to get the extra money

As for the marauder I think all you can do is pick a target and hit it as hard as you can. Don’t worry about your heat or your minimum range just hit it as hard as you can. Like a Taurian would. Although if you want to boost your survivability you could try moving into the woods ahead so they can’t kick you again

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 10, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

In hindsight I think we should have shot the hornet because it’s the only Mech that has a real chance of catching up to us. End it was nice and fragile so it would be an easy way to get the extra money

yeah I suggested that before this turn but this worked out pretty nicely anyway. It's not like it has too much of a bite anyway.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I hope it doesn't feel like I'm abandoning the lance by heading off the map this turn, but I'm heading off the map this turn.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

I hope it doesn't feel like I'm abandoning the lance by heading off the map this turn, but I'm heading off the map this turn.

wouldnt blame you for that but we're 2/3 for the first bonus, and the hornet is looking so tasty

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What happened with the Thunderbolt?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Slavvy posted:

What happened with the Thunderbolt?

Nothing bad they’re just playing the objective and that’s fair. Although I would appreciate if they would hold off running away for a second to try and lob some LRM’s at the most convenient target. (I just really want to get the money for wiping out 3 mechs)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait nm I mistook the qkd for the Thunderbolt, my bad

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think our next piece of advice for Cosette should be 'refit that thing into a -4P'.

Also holy poo poo our Marauder is going down swinging alright.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
If I run a mission similar to this one again I'll probably make destroying a certain number of enemy units one of the primary objectives. That way players will get to shoot stuff while also not feeling quite so pressured to disengage and book it to the objective.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
What the hell just happened here?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

painedforever posted:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ah, that's the version of the book that I broke into the game with. Really takes me back.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

painedforever posted:

The Dervish blew up the Hunchback with a raking shot to the back, the Quickdraw achieved nothing despite running back to assist the Marauder, the Thunderbolt played the objective, and the Marauder crushed the enemy Commando's leg and nearly crippled the Sentinel despite being under fire from almost every mech on the enemy team.

Personally, I hope the Marauder can make them regret singling it out. Mostly because it would be very funny for it to be completely surrounded and outgunned (at least in terms of enemy units) and then make them regret it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Marauder nearly stayed upright after all that, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
As the Marauder rises it should slowly turn black and give that Wolverine a toothy grin.