Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

C-Euro posted:

When getting a new Android phone to replace one that you currently use, what sort of data come over automatically and what data need to be copied over manually? I assume anything tied to the Google account on the old device will come over when you sign in on the new device (photos in cloud storage etc.), but what about more basic data tied to the phone itself like contacts, text messages, and call logs?

Related, for data that need to be moved manually, any recommendations for moving stuff off of a phone whose USB-c port is pretty unreliable (or tips on making it more reliable - I've gotten in there a few times with a toothpick to try and clean the contacts, with little success)

Nowadays you don't need a cable, the phones connect wirelessly and transfer data that way.
For me (Pixel 6a -> Pixel 8 pro) everything I needed was migrated, only a few apps needed a new login because they didn't transfer the cookie over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

C-Euro posted:

When getting a new Android phone to replace one that you currently use, what sort of data come over automatically and what data need to be copied over manually? I assume anything tied to the Google account on the old device will come over when you sign in on the new device (photos in cloud storage etc.), but what about more basic data tied to the phone itself like contacts, text messages, and call logs?

Related, for data that need to be moved manually, any recommendations for moving stuff off of a phone whose USB-c port is pretty unreliable (or tips on making it more reliable - I've gotten in there a few times with a toothpick to try and clean the contacts, with little success)

I just make sure my WhatsApp messages are backed up before I migrate. Everything else is in my google cloud.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Good to know that they can do a wireless data transfer, and admittedly just about everything I'd want to copy from old phone to new (that isn't already in my Google account) has copies on my computer. Though I'm trying to remember why I downloaded a text message backup app sometime in the past...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just went to the system update screen in settings and hit the check for update button once and it found it. might be rolling out a little wider at this point now ymmv

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

C-Euro posted:

Good to know that they can do a wireless data transfer, and admittedly just about everything I'd want to copy from old phone to new (that isn't already in my Google account) has copies on my computer. Though I'm trying to remember why I downloaded a text message backup app sometime in the past...

Not even wireless, you can just plug one phone into the other

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Failed Imagineer posted:

Your mileage may vary with that, I tried it when I upgraded to my P6 and it would outright crash my old phone every time.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

OP mentioned their USB port is unreliable, so no.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Today the power button on this pixel 5 has gone crazy and even brushing my finger passed it registers as multiple presses or as holding it down. It keeps popping up the camera or prompting to initiate some sort of emergency call. It sucks.

I have blasted it with compressed air and slapped it around a bit but so far this problem persists. It makes it almost unusable :/.

For fun I have looked at what other small, stock android phones there are with a good camera and there isn't much.

The latest sony xperia is still small but it costs €1000 which is a joke. And I can't help but remember the last xperia I had almost never received any updates and the sony addons were annoying, but maybe those things are better.

There is the latest pixel 8 which is not much bigger than the 5 but I'm really not a fan of the protruding camera strip and €800 is a bit steep.

I would buy a new pixel 5 but google never officially sold them here so even a reconditioned one is over €400 and that seems silly.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

Today the power button on this pixel 5 has gone crazy and even brushing my finger passed it registers as multiple presses or as holding it down. It keeps popping up the camera or prompting to initiate some sort of emergency call. It sucks.

I have blasted it with compressed air and slapped it around a bit but so far this problem persists. It makes it almost unusable :/.

For fun I have looked at what other small, stock android phones there are with a good camera and there isn't much.

The latest sony xperia is still small but it costs €1000 which is a joke. And I can't help but remember the last xperia I had almost never received any updates and the sony addons were annoying, but maybe those things are better.

There is the latest pixel 8 which is not much bigger than the 5 but I'm really not a fan of the protruding camera strip and €800 is a bit steep.

I would buy a new pixel 5 but google never officially sold them here so even a reconditioned one is over €400 and that seems silly.

Sony's UI is very similar to the stock Pixel UI these days. Their "side-sense" shortcut overlay is really the biggest difference. Device support life is Sony's biggest failing though, as they only offer two years of OS updates and three years of security updates on their current "mark V" devices, and afaik "mark IV" and earlier only get two years of OS and two years of security updates.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Yeah that's pretty lame for a €1k device.

And this says the pixel 5 updates ended October of this year so buying another is really not a viable plan. Sigh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

other people posted:

Yeah that's pretty lame for a €1k device.

And this says the pixel 5 updates ended October of this year so buying another is really not a viable plan. Sigh.

What country are you in son?

After losing patience with still no December update for my Pixel 8, I just side-loaded the OTA image. Last time I had to use this ADB magic was in 2010 with my HTC Desire - the internal storage was so meagre you could only get Android 2.3 or whatever on it by doing a full wipe of the phone with the factory image - and it's surprisingly easy to do and so much faster than a regular OTA update grabbed over Wi-Fi.

I'm surprised how little time it took to install - how come this is so much faster than the regular install process?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

I have a Pixel 6, and I gotta say I really like the camera strip. Having the phone able to lie on its back without wobbling or being canted to a weird angle is actually really nice. Since the phones tend to be a little slippery having a thin case is nice, and that also makes the camera bar stick out less and even the whole thing out.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WattsvilleBlues posted:

After losing patience with still no December update for my Pixel 8, I just side-loaded the OTA image. Last time I had to use this ADB magic was in 2010 with my HTC Desire - the internal storage was so meagre you could only get Android 2.3 or whatever on it by doing a full wipe of the phone with the factory image - and it's surprisingly easy to do and so much faster than a regular OTA update grabbed over Wi-Fi.

I'm surprised how little time it took to install - how come this is so much faster than the regular install process?

Yeah, once you get the USB drivers sorted out, its almost always faster for me to grab the ota image and sideload it than wait for the download to show up.

I know they said that "check for updates" was fixed, but it still never pops for me.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Spain. I got a november security update on the 5th of that month but so far nothing for december. But also there hasn't been any notice about updates stopping so who knows.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a Pixel 6, and I gotta say I really like the camera strip. Having the phone able to lie on its back without wobbling or being canted to a weird angle is actually really nice. Since the phones tend to be a little slippery having a thin case is nice, and that also makes the camera bar stick out less and even the whole thing out.

I don't use my phone when it is lying down so I guess that isn't a feature for me. I had a pixel 6 for a month but I gave it up ane bought this 5. The 6 & 7 are just too big for my tiny hands or something. I haven't seen an 8 irl but it is supposed to be almost back to 5 size. Still has that silly strip though.

I don't even use a case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not directly Android-related, but I figured this has the highest concentration of people who'd know.

Is it possible to use double- or triple-flanged silicone ear tips with the Pixel Buds pro? By which I mean both "do ones exist that will fit on the tubes of the earbuds?" and "will they fit in the case?".

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

hooah posted:

Not directly Android-related, but I figured this has the highest concentration of people who'd know.

Is it possible to use double- or triple-flanged silicone ear tips with the Pixel Buds pro? By which I mean both "do ones exist that will fit on the tubes of the earbuds?" and "will they fit in the case?".

Sorry can’t help you with your question, but there is a headphones thread you might consider asking: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036610

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

If you have Google Play Gold, Platinum or Diamond reward perks there's a 40% discount on the Pixel 8's and Pixel tablet running until the end of the month. I have platinum rewards so I may jump on that 8 Pro if I can do a trade in as well.

Edit: play store link

https://playpoints.withgoogle.com/gstorediscount2023/

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 11, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I wonder if you can stack that with a trade in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

If you have Google Play Gold, Platinum or Diamond reward perks there's a 40% discount on the Pixel 8's and Pixel tablet running until the end of the month. I have platinum rewards so I may jump on that 8 Pro if I can do a trade in as well.

Edit: play store link

https://playpoints.withgoogle.com/gstorediscount2023/

gd it

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I'm upgrading to a galaxy A54 from an iPhone 7 and wonder if anyone could tell me the best way to export all the contacts from my iphone? iCloud has less than half the contacts and only 10% in google contacts. I have no idea where the other half are stored so I would like to get them all directly from the iPhone.

I would also like to transfer my messages.

I have the latest version of google drive on my galaxy tablet and it shows all the pictures in my folders at the top level alongside those folders, is there any way to stop this? It's driving me mad.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 11, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hooah posted:

I wonder if you can stack that with a trade in.

I'm gonna find out when I get home from work. It sounds like you can because I've seen people claiming to have done so.

Edit: Traded in my 7Pro, 256GB 8 Pro came out to 349USD after tax.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 12, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So made the plunge to Galaxy (S23 specifically) after being a Pixel guy since basically the…Nexus 6? I think that was the Motorola one. Coming from a Pixel 7 whose battery life and performance was disappointing.

The immediate thing is…wow, this hardware is fantastic. The screen is absolutely gorgeous - blows the Pixel out of the water. The software is snappier (I’m not loving OneUI as much initially - I’ll probably get used to it) and the 120Hz is noticeable. I also *love* the idea of having a flagship device in this form factor.

Who knows how things will be in a week or a month, but there’s an immediate wow factor there.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung is probably better than Google, enjoy!

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

JamesieAB posted:

I'm upgrading to a galaxy A54 from an iPhone 7 and wonder if anyone could tell me the best way to export all the contacts from my iphone? iCloud has less than half the contacts and only 10% in google contacts. I have no idea where the other half are stored so I would like to get them all directly from the iPhone.

I would also like to transfer my messages.

I have the latest version of google drive on my galaxy tablet and it shows all the pictures in my folders at the top level alongside those folders, is there any way to stop this? It's driving me mad.

Samsung has an app called Smart Switch.

I haven't used it to transfer from iOS to Android but on the Samsung site they also have an iOS version of it so I think you can use that to transfer your data (contacts, messages, photo's).

It's been a while since I used it but if I recall you just have to have the app installed on both devices.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Kirios posted:

So made the plunge to Galaxy (S23 specifically) after being a Pixel guy since basically the…Nexus 6? I think that was the Motorola one. Coming from a Pixel 7 whose battery life and performance was disappointing.

The immediate thing is…wow, this hardware is fantastic. The screen is absolutely gorgeous - blows the Pixel out of the water. The software is snappier (I’m not loving OneUI as much initially - I’ll probably get used to it) and the 120Hz is noticeable. I also *love* the idea of having a flagship device in this form factor.

Who knows how things will be in a week or a month, but there’s an immediate wow factor there.

I personally think samsung makes a lot of good decisions in oneui and most of the ones I don't like I can change with good lock. So maybe take a look at good lock. It's weird at first, cause it has apps inside it to do different things and it's not always clear what they do. But just install em all and go through em

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Quickie: There's no way to remove apps from the list scheduled for Deep Sleep without putting them on the Never Sleep list, right? Other than using them enough to get them taken off the list that is.

I mean there is a large overlap between apps I don't want going into deep sleep now and apps I never want into deep sleep but it's not a perfect circle.

edit: It's adding them to Never Sleep then removing them. But I don't think you can just remove them for the list of apps scheduled for deep sleep in one go.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 12, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently the QC of the initial batch of the OnePlus 12 is ATROCIOUS. Chipped back glass, panel gaps, and literal bugs

https://9to5google.com/2023/12/11/oneplus-12-glass-gaps-quality-control/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently Google is sending out another $125 off the 8 and 8 Pro if you are a YouTube premium subscriber that stacks with the current discount.

https://9to5google.com/2023/12/12/pixel-8-youtube-premium/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Google is sending out another $125 off the 8 and 8 Pro if you are a YouTube premium subscriber that stacks with the current discount.

Man wish they'd do that for the Pixel Tablet! I redeemed my 40% off reward for the tablet... but it doesn't stack with the current $100 off sale (at checkout the $100 gets added back on). I'd do it if they stacked those sales.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you have Google Play Gold (or higher) status from buying poo poo on the Play Store, check your offers - I got one for 40% off the P8, P8P, and Pixel Tablet. With a trade-in, I got the 1TB P8P for ~$656 and change after taxes (and pending their approval of my P5 trade-in). Oh, yeah - trade-ins can be *stacked* with the 40% off. $230 for my P5, ~$300-350 for the P6s and P7s (I didn't check the "a" models).

Offer expires 12/31/23.

EDIT: This offer does not stack with the current $200 off - I paid $1399 - 40% - $230 (P5 trade-in) for my 1TB P8P.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 13, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The December update has just appeared on my pixel 8 in the UK, unprompted too

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

The December update has just appeared on my pixel 8 in the UK, unprompted too

Looks like it dropped for a whole bunch of people today. Got it on my 7 Pro.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

just got it on my 8 Pro in Canada too

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Man, they’re really trying to tick up market share in the US huh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, that’s how you do it. You dump marketing dollars into discounts.

Just like if you buy a Samsung device for more than 40% of its MSRP, you dun hosed up.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Just like if you buy a Samsung device for more than 40% of its MSRP, you dun hosed up.

Dollars into Discounts
Mistakes into Miracles

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

The last Samsung device I owned was the Galaxy Nexus...

...and that's why it'll be the last Samsung device I'll own.

I took a chance on a premium Samsung Chromebook and it couldn't maintain a solid 2.4Ghz WiFi signal through two walls and only being 20 feet from the router.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

December update starting to install on my phone now after I checked. Pixel6 on Verizon Prepaid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

From the OTA list, looks like there's a special Verizon build this month. So I guess there was something last minute that they were messing around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The last Samsung device I owned was the Galaxy Nexus...

...and that's why it'll be the last Samsung device I'll own.

I took a chance on a premium Samsung Chromebook and it couldn't maintain a solid 2.4Ghz WiFi signal through two walls and only being 20 feet from the router.

Samsung has been good for a while now. I had a Galaxy Nexus and could barely make it through a day unless I had my 3rd party 5k mah battery installed.