Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HD DAD posted:

Chibs falling out with people due to poor script quality

Weird, you'd think they could find some common ground there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6DXUOsZavQ

Another preview for tomorrow

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 8, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it just me or does the original toymaker's face looks so much like Timothy Dalton Rassilon it's distracting

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

MikeJF posted:

Is it just me or does the original toymaker's face looks so much like Timothy Dalton Rassilon it's distracting

Not you. I was very confused.

(Not at all a spoiler, but a comment on the trailer so whatever)
I really hope that *ding* when the Toymaker winks is not in the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

That terrible accent is going to be so distracting

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The_Doctor posted:

They’re going to reveal 15’s sonic here on Sunday!

Leaked spoilers:

it's a little glowy stick that goes weeweeeweee

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a real place in the Canary Islands. Apparently they also filmed Foundation there.

well I'm glad that they filmed on location in Tenerife instead of having more episodes with good scripts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope this time it has the head that can unscrew those little plastic toys with security screws.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Clouseau posted:

Not you. I was very confused.

(Not at all a spoiler, but a comment on the trailer so whatever)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Agreed on both counts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It sounds like he drops it at the end of the clip?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And in the earlier clip it sounded like NPH was doing a cartoony French accent, so I think this is RTD trying to dance around the Orientalism in the original story by saying the Toymaker borrows from many different cultures.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm fully expecting a gag about the "celestial" part of the name.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Clouseau posted:

I"m reasonably sure he's actually doing it to annoy them it so I'll accept it (or at least that's how I'd rationalize it).

Gaz-L posted:

And in the earlier clip it sounded like NPH was doing a cartoony French accent, so I think this is RTD trying to dance around the Orientalism in the original story by saying the Toymaker borrows from many different cultures.

Had the same thought here too. And he definitely drops the German at the end of this clip.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Infinitum posted:

Also lets not gloss over probably the single worst costume design of the series - Hyph3n

Make up and costume departments apparently both on loving strike. "Yeah nah, we don't have face prosthetics. A bit of grey lipstick'll do the job! Quick someone kill an Ewok and shove it on her head!"

Very obvious tail-attached-to belt. Tail looks like it comes out of the middle of her back :lol:

100% get Doctor Who is usually on a shoe-string budget, but :laffo: that's just straight up someone's budget fursona costume.

Is...Is this from a 13 episode? Because if you told me this was like a Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy episode I'd believe you. L M A O.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Words from Big Rusty

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1733192219580903609

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Infinitum posted:

Also lets not gloss over probably the single worst costume design of the series - Hyph3n

Make up and costume departments apparently both on loving strike. "Yeah nah, we don't have face prosthetics. A bit of grey lipstick'll do the job! Quick someone kill an Ewok and shove it on her head!"

Very obvious tail-attached-to belt. Tail looks like it comes out of the middle of her back :lol:

100% get Doctor Who is usually on a shoe-string budget, but :laffo: that's just straight up someone's budget fursona costume.

Spaceballs 2 made for TV sequel energy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

You mean Spaceballs: The Move: The Sequel, surely?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

You mean like the Spaceballs tv series?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh no

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
edit: oops! Already posted.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 9, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look up like, 5 posts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So tomorrow we're either getting:
- "Wow the 14th Doctor was only alive for about half a day before he regenerated. Truly the most useless Doctor."
- "Wow the Toymaker is a legit threat. Killed the Doctor with little to no effort. Hope we get more Celestials!"

:v:

Then only 2 more weeks until 15's first episode :allears:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This Orphan 55 chat got me to look back at 13 out of curiosity, and I know I watched it all (iplayer says so!) but the vast majority of it has just completely slid off my brain. Just a tonne of thumbnails and episode descriptions that don't ring a bell in the slightest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Time for the show to go back on hiatus for, uh, two weeks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

lines posted:

Time for the show to go back on hiatus for, uh, two weeks.

They've already started filming the NEXT season after Gatwa's first too, it's a loving amazing time :hellyeah:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

They've already started filming the NEXT season after Gatwa's first too, it's a loving amazing time :hellyeah:

I know he's said he likes the show now but I can't help but picture Michael Grade trapped behind glass, frantically banging on it and demanding they stop making it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Wait the next season's already wrapped? Are you telling me we won't have to wait over a year for a whole season? :psyboom:

Deformed Church posted:

This Orphan 55 chat got me to look back at 13 out of curiosity, and I know I watched it all (iplayer says so!) but the vast majority of it has just completely slid off my brain. Just a tonne of thumbnails and episode descriptions that don't ring a bell in the slightest.

Orphan 55 is a terrible ep, but it's capped off with the Doctor effectively staring directly into the camera lens to say "Harming the environment is bad. Perhaps someone could do something"

I think 13's run really boils down to Chibnall wanting to use it for a lot of positive messaging in between historicals, which is fine in and of itself, except all that positive messaging is just absolutely hamfisted and all the historicals are handled with the tact of a bottle to the back of the head.
The one that still really irks me is the Rosa Parks ep, and is actually a pretty decent watch about an unfortunate subject... right up until 13 & the Fam are made to commit racism to preserve the timeline :stare:

Wedge these sorts of eps in between a bunch of actual bad sci-fi episodes and it's really a forgettable run - save for a few rare highlights.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, for all the faults of the Chibnall era, the man had very good intentions and wanted to do positive things around representation and important social topics, which I absolutely applaud him for. I just wish the show had been better :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Wait the next season's already wrapped? Are you telling me we won't have to wait over a year for a whole season? :psyboom:

Yeah, Ncuti’s first season of 8 episodes is already in the can. They’ve just filmed the 2024 Christmas special (which for once will actually have real Xmas decorations and wintery trees in the background, not just July pretending to be cold). And they’re on his 2nd season now (also consisting of a measly 8 episodes). :mad:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 9, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah Rusty and Julie can actually get poo poo done can't they

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

The one that still really irks me is the Rosa Parks ep, and is actually a pretty decent watch about an unfortunate subject... right up until 13 & the Fam are made to commit racism to preserve the timeline :stare:

It's a step up step back thing, isn't it? I've always read that as how sometimes being a good ally means shutting up and letting the people directly affected talk.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Wait the next season's already wrapped? Are you telling me we won't have to wait over a year for a whole season? :psyboom:.

Being able to release a series every year was apparently one of RTD’s conditions for coming back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah Rusty and Julie can actually get poo poo done can't they

Yes, however if the original 2005 run is anything to go by, Rusty looks like this by the end of a season apparently:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Ncuti’s first season of 8 episodes is already in the can. They’ve just filmed the 2024 Christmas special (which for once will actually have real Xmas decorations and wintery trees in the background, not just July pretending to be cold.

I know that modern TV production leans towards less episodes per season, but hearing his first season is only gonna be eight episodes is still disappointing.

I once saw a tweet pointing out that all the most popular shows on streaming had 20+ episodes per season, and that what people really want is 'hundreds of episodes, 30% of which are the worst poo poo you've ever seen in your life'. And even if RTD v1 Who was never that big in season order, it's definitely got that spirit to it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, however if the original 2005 run is anything to go by, Rusty looks like this by the end of a season apparently:

I would hope that a bigger budget to work with and fewer episodes to produce per series will keep him from burning out. I seem to recall from his book that most of the issues came from making 14 eps a year for £20.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a step up step back thing, isn't it? I've always read that as how sometimes being a good ally means shutting up and letting the people directly affected talk.

It was worse than that. Rosa (the episode) used the childish, white washed version of the story that made it more palatable and reduces the civil rights movement to a singular moment in the 1950s instead of the more than a century long ongoing struggle that it was. It's a very "and then racism was over" story like the kind that you saw a lot a couple of decades ago; racism is reduced to a lone weirdo who time traveled to stop one protest and Rosa Parks was eventually recognized by Bill Clinton so there's no more problems there!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
It is worth saying that Rosa was written not just by Chibnall, but also by Malorie Blackman, who was the Children's Laurete a few years ago and has an extensive history of writing fiction for kids that contains anti-racist themes (and is herself Black). I have heard somewhat mixed things about her experience writing for the show, and I am quite suspicious of how much of the bad bits of Rosa were the result of Chibnall fiddling and messing with her script: but the episode did win an award and she seemed pretty happy about it at the time, at least publicly (https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-picks-up-special-award-for-malorie-blackman-episode-rosa/). (Malorie Blackman's writing was pretty special to me growing up! Great writer. The first non-white person to ever write for a screened episode it seems, even. I wish her episode was better regarded.)

I guess my point is that from Chibnall's perspective he seems to have thought he was doing the right thing - and it's not entirely a case of "about us without us" (I should say for the record that I am a white British person - so in fact here I'm only speaking for myself, and can only do so from that standpoint - I am not the "us" here!). It just... didn't cohere together and the messager ultimately is... cracked (in a way that to me screams of script tinkering). Great example of how best intentions can only get you so far I guess.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Random Stranger posted:

It was worse than that. Rosa (the episode) used the childish, white washed version of the story that made it more palatable and reduces the civil rights movement to a singular moment in the 1950s instead of the more than a century long ongoing struggle that it was. It's a very "and then racism was over" story like the kind that you saw a lot a couple of decades ago; racism is reduced to a lone weirdo who time traveled to stop one protest and Rosa Parks was eventually recognized by Bill Clinton so there's no more problems there!

See I didn't take it as that guy being a lone weirdo, I took him as being an acknowledgement that there will ALWAYS be fuckers like that. That while we might want to think that a Star Trek style utopia where discrimination is vanquished, it's unlikely at best and we need to acknowlege and deal with these dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's a little unfair as the episode included Rosa being involved with Dr King and the movement which isn't usually mentioned in the 'nice' version. And Parks, possibly to maintain plausible deniability, maintained that the sit in was a spontaneous decision made due to the sign for the 'colored' section being moved and the racist driver. The show depicts it as such while making it clear it was made by a woman who knew it was an activist act.