Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm not sure why but I've been methodically going thru Crunchyroll before I delete I guess and found a pretty cool relatively unknown movie by the Studio Bones called Sword of the Stranger. Well done movie with excellent action and some really well sketched out bad guys. Minimum amount of anime bullshit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shageletic posted:

I'm not sure why but I've been methodically going thru Crunchyroll before I delete I guess and found a pretty cool relatively unknown movie by the Studio Bones called Sword of the Stranger. Well done movie with excellent action and some really well sketched out bad guys. Minimum amount of anime bullshit as well.

This has been on the edges of my Radar for like forever cause I really do have to be in a specific mood to watch anime these days. I had a friend send me a clip of the final fight and its quite good to watch. I love the kinetic energy and the style quite a bit.

After riding the high of Blue Eye Samurai, I should finally get around to it.

Here is the clip mentioned: https://youtu.be/xT66YPk0Q5w?si=U9mmQzADFtLLTrDg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's stellar highly kinetic actions liberally sprinkled thru the thing. Felt like the Studio was flexing. Helped thst they designed bad guys that were weird and intimindating and all had great designs/ideas. Coolest bunch of goons ever.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sword of the Stranger is really, really good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I got my son to start watching gargoyles. :woop:

First response meeting Xanathos. “Umm, can they really trust him? He seems nice, but sounds so…”

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Robindaybird posted:

Sword of the Stranger is really, really good.

Yeah I grabbed the blu ray like ten years ago and never let go, it's really awesome.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think that movie was formative for the anime community because Yutaka Nakamura's final fight in that movie turned a bunch of people on to sakuga compilation videos.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Darth TNT posted:

I got my son to start watching gargoyles. :woop:

First response meeting Xanathos. “Umm, can they really trust him? He seems nice, but sounds so…”

Gargoyles still largely holds up - and I still say Demona is one of the most compelling villains in animation - you can understand the reason behind everything she does at any time, how she can get out of the cycle she's trapped in... and exactly why she can't bring herself to do it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Gargoyles still largely holds up - and I still say Demona is one of the most compelling villains in animation - you can understand the reason behind everything she does at any time, how she can get out of the cycle she's trapped in... and exactly why she can't bring herself to do it.

As long as you stop after the first episode of the third season since that's the point where Disney fired the original creator and the show became mediocre at best (there's an ongoing comic continuation but I'm not sure how good it is)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

thankfully they're all in the right order on D+.

The X-Men was, and far as I can tell to this day still in absolutely the wrong order so characters show up on familiar terms well before their actual introductory episodes, and I'm trying to figure out how they managed to screw that up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

thankfully they're all in the right order on D+.

The X-Men was, and far as I can tell to this day still in absolutely the wrong order so characters show up on familiar terms well before their actual introductory episodes, and I'm trying to figure out how they managed to screw that up.

There is going to be continuation of the latter at some point in the near future so maybe they'll fix things once that goes up (but I'm not holding my breath)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
They've fixed episode orders on D+ in the past (I believe the new Ducktales had that issue) and it would probably behoove them to fix that show in particular with the sequel series coming along.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is X-Men Evolution on D+ out of curiosity?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

It is, actually.

As is Spectacular Spider-man which always needs a shout-out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

It is, actually.

As is Spectacular Spider-man which always needs a shout-out.

Not anymore it seems:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1731856020069114340

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

are you loving kidding me

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Larryb posted:

There is going to be continuation of the latter at some point in the near future so maybe they'll fix things once that goes up (but I'm not holding my breath)

What the hell is happening with this? It's been years and I haven't seen a single frame from it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

What the hell is happening with this? It's been years and I haven't seen a single frame from it.

Supposedly it’s coming next year last I checked but yeah, it’s weird we haven’t seen any footage from it yet to my knowledge

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

I think they referenced it 2 months ago? So it’s apparently still happening.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Merch has been coming out for it, including some very nice Marvel Legends figures.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

And yeah, they've shown off some character designs and spoilers: they're extremely 90s. We're getting mohawk Storm, mullet Magneto, and Morph's back: in bald form!

When it comes to decades, hairstyles are always the first to know.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just realised that canonically due to the events of the TV show, Rapunzel's magic hair always comes from the same source: Aliens.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

in fairness, Mohawk Storm is a very popular design

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm tired of all the trailers showing the entire movie all the time. Studios should just band together and agree to only let the advertisement people have the first 30 minutes of any movie - if you can't sell a story with 30 minutes of footage, you are a poo poo salesperson and should be out of a job. You can do a lot with that much setup.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

you won't like movie ads in Japan then.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't like em here, why would I want to see them there? :P

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Mae Whitman will not be reprising her role as Katara in the animated ATLA movie (in fact, everyone's been recast except for Dante Basco):

https://knightedgemedia.com/2023/12/jessica-matten-set-to-voice-katara-in-2025-avatar-the-last-airbender-animated-movie/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 8, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So the new actress' website shut down since that article was published. Uh... I wonder if thats a coincidence or a bunch of angry fans are harassing her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ccs posted:

So the new actress' website shut down since that article was published. Uh... I wonder if thats a coincidence or a bunch of angry fans are harassing her.

Where is it? The optimist in me thinks it maybe just got overloaded and inadvertently DDoSed due to the influx of visitors after the announcement.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Where is it? The optimist in me thinks it maybe just got overloaded and inadvertently DDoSed due to the influx of visitors after the announcement.

It was here but it says there is no longer a domain connected

http://www.7forwardentertainment.com/who-we-are-1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So has the new actress been in anything notable prior to this or is she fairly new to the scene?

Also do we know who’s playing Aang, Sokka, and/or Toph yet?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Is there a separate thread for The Boy and the Heron or has anyone else seen it yet?

I saw it last night. It’s ok but I didn’t really connect with it. Sometimes it takes me a bit to come around on Miyazaki movies (like I’ll get swept up in the world but feel let down by the story, then digest it differently on the next viewing) but idk.

There is some really interesting stuff going on with Miyazaki himself in the film; parts of it are autobiographical and the wizard is DEFINITELY a stand-in for Miyazaki and his legacy with Ghibli and like… him coming to terms with it being unfair to burden his creative ambitions onto his progeny.

The heron is just…an ugly little guy!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Loved it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's like the platonic ideal of a Miyazaki movie with all his favorite character archetypes (it was funny seeing the old maid turns into the stock badass woman he loves so much) but it's good. Animation is gorgeous as usual.

Obviously the stuff with the wizard has a lot of subtext to it but I found the protagonist's relationship with his mother to be more impactful.

Kind of a shame though that the Heron is sidelined in the second half of the movie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I don’t think Boy and the Heron will be anyone’s favorite ghibli film. It’s one of Miyazaki’s darkest and contemplative and probably weirdest. That last hour is just going wild. But I think the heart of it is centered around Mahito and his mother and that takes until the end to really make itself clear. She chooses to go back to her time so she can have and be with mahito even though it will end in her death in a fire. It gives Mahito the closure he needed for feeling frustrated that there was nothing he could do to save his mom. This thought/optimism is further reinforced by the final lines: two years later the war ended and we moved backed to Tokyo. Tokyo was destroyed in the war by fires and bombing, so to go back is to accept the tragedy and rebuild again.

I definitely want a rewatch myself. There’s lots of great callbacks to his other films. And many new interesting ones. I was just thinking about how the parakeet king mirrors Mahiotos dad who is a king of the war factory. All the parakeet troops are taking over the dream world just like imperialist Japanese solders.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The boy and the heron is a top 5 film for me but definitely one of the weirdest and most contemplative ghibli films. It spends a lot of run time on animating mundane actions which pads the length a bit which made the film feel a bit plodding before the third act, and the world itself feels sparse and less alive than most Ghibli "worlds". Its like Miyazaki's mind images stripped to their barest components. Thats not a negative really, more just an observation I had while watching. The visuals and score and the characters are all great, and I didn't realize it was semi-autobiographical (had no knowledge of the story/development going in) so I was just kinda vibing with it. Low key one of the grossest ghibli movies too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've been warning people that parrots are assholes for years but noooo only when Miyazaki says it do people listen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
motm is one this thread will really enjoy https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049094

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Super Mario Bros and Across the Spider-Verse. SMB is just so overwhelmingly fine with everyone (except Jack Black) is doing their absolute minimum of work they have to. Also, the directors thinks that slow-mo is super hilarious. Meanwhile Across the Spider-Verse is a cornucopia of creativity, every scene is so vibrant and pushed the boundaries for what an animted movie can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have compared SMB to Enter the Void on more than one occasion and I stand by that comparison.