Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jeff does start the fake Spanish study group solely to get with Britta but I'm pretty sure that gets thrown in his face by the end of the first episode. It's been a while, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Yeah eventually Jeff admits it to her and apologizes because he values her as a friend.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, the first couple are pretty bad, and Jeff doesn't really lose that womanizer aspect entirely but it's at its worst in the first handful of episodes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Michael Scott aged well as there are so many Michael Scott’s on twitter rn. The only difference is Michael Scott doesn’t have a bad heart just a bad brain so he can change

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Desert Bus posted:

Honestly? If i met him I'd immediately try to get him to talk medical poo poo. I'm a professional disabled person so I feel like it would be most likely to lead to a good and funny convo.

I've got rather severe tourette's and he kinda picked up on it and we ended up talking about it for a fair bit. He knew his poo poo and we had a fun little yak about Oliver Sacks, I left with a great opinion of the guy.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

[quote="Desert Bus" post="536426582"]
Honestly? If i met him I'd immediately try to get him to talk medical poo poo. I'm a professional disabled person so I feel like it would be most likely to lead to a good and funny convo.
[/quote

I have only been disabled for about three years, so I don’t know a whole protocol. Are there some CEUs I should be taking to achieve professional status? Or is there any benefit to maintaining my amateur status?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Ken Jeong was good in his episode of Murderville, which is a fun show that I recommend.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

credburn posted:

I only lasted two episodes of Community but they were both entirely focused on a fuckin creep lying and manipulating a woman and committing real toxic acts in hopes to gently caress her. I hear it's a good show and it's got to get better, but man the opening episodes are cringey as gently caress

Like, he's the protagonist of the show. I don't want to see his shenanigans.

It's been years since I watched it, but if I remember correctly, Season 1 has a very different, much less likeable vibe than Season 2. Jeff is much nastier in the early episodes. I'd say skip to Season 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just rewatched the whole show. Idk it’s pretty good throughout. The nasty vibe is what I like sometimes so idk.

The early seasons of the office, especially the extended ones are incredibly nasty and I love it. Some real weird hosed up out of pocket jokes on there.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Has Joel McHale's career seemed a bit of a letdown? Back when he was doing The Soup, he seemed to have great promise: funny, likeable, tall, reasonably good-looking and great on camera. But maybe he got bogged down in the Community thing too much?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chrpno posted:

Has Joel McHale's career seemed a bit of a letdown? Back when he was doing The Soup, he seemed to have great promise: funny, likeable, tall, reasonably good-looking and great on camera. But maybe he got bogged down in the Community thing too much?

He was apparently in three movies and seven TV shows this year. Like, maybe he's not doing particularly high-profile or prestigious stuff? But he seems to be doing pretty well for himself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chrpno posted:

I remember an interview he did when he was on the X-Files revival where he said that his attitude toward work was to always do as much of it as he could and not expect that he could leverage what he has into stardom or real celebrity, that he had tough years when he was young that showed him what he wanted, which was enough money coming in so that he could live an ok life through old age in the event that it all went away and he couldn’t get booked any more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

According to Wikipedia he's the kid of successful but not "wealthy" parents and he pivoted from History/Athletics in high school into acting before moving out to LA-- e.g: someone without a ton of connections to start.

By Hollywood definitions that's working class, so yeah even though he definitely could do the actual performances in a bigger league... well there's always a richer person with better connections, less of the road wear, and more class training with priority. By the time he did Community he was already hitting his 40s. Being grateful for any work and making a living really is a very respectable way to do the career.

Samuel L. Jackson has the same approach, he just happened to end up hitting roles that were really good for his profile in the early 90s, but if you can afford him he'll show up for just about anything and at least try.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Depending on how you define it Sam Jackson is one of the (or is the single) highest combined box office actor of all time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Almost as big as Frank Welker.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Laurence Olivier posted:

People ask me why I'm playing in this picture. The answer is simple: Money, dear boy. I'm like a vintage wine. You have to drink me quickly before I turn sour. I'm almost used up now and I can feel the end coming. That's why I'm taking money now. I've got nothing to leave my family but the money I can make from films. Nothing is beneath me if it pays well. I've earned the right to drat well grab whatever I can in the time I've got left

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This has to be about Clash of the Titans, right?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Slightly related, I recently came across a quote from an actor, maybe Peter Cushing? Christopher Lee? Michael Caine? One of those people who worked in A LOT of movies, at any rate.
The general gist of the quote was that even when you're stuck doing a bad movie, you should still strive to be remembered as the best thing in that movie.
I've tried googling it, but since I'm sure I got all the words wrong, I can't find it anymore and it's driving me slightly nuts. Does anyone know the correct quote and the originator?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Slightly related, I recently came across a quote from an actor, maybe Peter Cushing? Christopher Lee? Michael Caine? One of those people who worked in A LOT of movies, at any rate.
The general gist of the quote was that even when you're stuck doing a bad movie, you should still strive to be remembered as the best thing in that movie.
I've tried googling it, but since I'm sure I got all the words wrong, I can't find it anymore and it's driving me slightly nuts. Does anyone know the correct quote and the originator?

"[on Jaws: The Revenge (1987)] I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific. I am in so many movies that are on TV at 2:00 a.m. that people think I am dead." -Michael Caine

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Christopher Lee: "Every actor has to make terrible films from time to time but the trick is never to be terrible in them."

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oldstench posted:

This has to be about Clash of the Titans, right?

Inchon, a propaganda film by that South Korean cult the Unification Church AKA The Moonies. You may also know them for being the cult that Shinzo Abe got assassinated for his connections to and Japan largely seems to have decided this was fair.

A Sometimes Food has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Dec 9, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Samuel L. Jackson has the same approach, he just happened to end up hitting roles that were really good for his profile in the early 90s, but if you can afford him he'll show up for just about anything and at least try.
Samuel L. Jackson proves that it's never too late to have a major breakthrough. Dude was almost fifty when he starred in Pulp Fiction.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Michael Caine posted:

I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

I know and love that quote and use it often, but that's not it. It's one of the all time greats though.

Christopher Lee posted:

Every actor has to make terrible films from time to time but the trick is never to be terrible in them.

That's the one! Thank you!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sean Connery said something about Zardoz that I can’t google just now, but it’s something like, “if you’re a builder and somebody hires you to build a house, you don’t say, ‘oh, that’s a bad house and I’m not going to build it.’ You build the drat house!”

It’s too bad he was a spousal abuser and piece of poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Zardoz is a great house and I will not hear otherwise.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
At that point of his career Connery wanted to do anything but James Bond and Zardoz definetely is anything but.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On the other end of things you get Will Smith overthinking his career and picking Wild Wild West over The Matrix, and he doesn't seem to have learned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

Samuel L. Jackson proves that it's never too late to have a major breakthrough. Dude was almost fifty when he starred in Pulp Fiction.

He wasn't that old - he was 45 or 46. But one of his first significant acting credits was in Coming To America, where he was the stick-up artist who tries to rob the fast food restaurant, and he was 40 then.

If you want some real fun, go watch The Exterminator (1980) and see if you can find him - he was an extra.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the other end of things you get Will Smith overthinking his career and picking Wild Wild West over The Matrix, and he doesn't seem to have learned.

He once put out a video where he claimed the Wachowskis spent the entire Matrix pitch to him talking about bullet time instead of the actual plot and that made him pass on. Kind of a dick move to frame it like that but I understand that decision. In any case, he did admit in the same video he would have "messed it up" and Keanu was the perfect person for the role.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jedit posted:

He wasn't that old - he was 45 or 46. But one of his first significant acting credits was in Coming To America, where he was the stick-up artist who tries to rob the fast food restaurant, and he was 40 then.

If you want some real fun, go watch The Exterminator (1980) and see if you can find him - he was an extra.

My favourite Big Actor in an old role is Bruce Forsythe being one of the evil bookseller's goons in Bedknobs and Broomsticks, he's so young in that movie that I nearly didn't recognise him.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Holy smokes, Sam Jackson is 74 years old? Talk about media that does age well.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Jeff Goldblum was a mugger in a Death Wish movie.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Jeff Goldblum was a mugger in a Death Wish movie.

So was Laurence Fishbourne! Though at least he was in Apocalype Now before that, so he wasn't a total nobody.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

He wasn't that old - he was 45 or 46.

Yeah, that's almost fifty.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably for the best. He had a reputation for bringing a crew to rewrite the movie he starred in to better suit his brand. Wild Wild West acted as a lighting rod in this matter, he got to ruin a movie that was never going to be good and not one of the most significant movie of the 90's.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That movie was meant to replicate the magic of the first Men in Black, even having the same director.

It didn't work.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Reminds me of Alan Rickman in that '90s Robin Hood movie with Kevin Costner. Pretty mid movie overall, but Rickman basically invents his own version of the movie and completely steals all his scenes.

I seem to recall that movie also doing some "babby's first commentary on racism" stuff which was awkwardly shoved into a bunch of movies in the '90s. Probably fits this thread.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Probably for the best. He had a reputation for bringing a crew to rewrite the movie he starred in to better suit his brand. Wild Wild West acted as a lighting rod in this matter, he got to ruin a movie that was never going to be good and not one of the most significant movie of the 90's.
Suicide Squad too. That movie was almost a decade ago but clearly still happens. I don't even think he was a bad choice for Deadshot if he had figured out a better way to play the character, but that whole movie had problems. Lol at David Ayer thinking a director's cut is gonna fix poo poo. Word from most critics is that you can tell what he was going for before all the edits and that it still probably wouldn't have worked very well.

Curiously After Earth was one of the only movies where he turned the dial almost to zero so his son could try to shine and... yeah that's not how it goes.

Jedit posted:

Yeah I mean, it clearly happens with some actors but they are the rare, rare exception. More likely you might age into a character actor "look" that gets you some steady work, and even that is pretty uneven and requires a lot of years of "sticking it out."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Curiously After Earth was one of the only movies where he turned the dial almost to zero so his son could try to shine and... yeah that's not how it goes.

"OK, if I play a character who has a major plot reason to never show emotion, keep him in the same place for most of the movie AND give him a bizarre accent, people will HAVE to love Jaden, right? RIGHT?"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dennis Hopper on his involvement in the original Mario Bros. movie:

quote:

"I made a picture called Super Mario Bros., and my six-year-old son at the time -- he's now 18 -- he said, 'Dad, I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.?' and I said, 'Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes,' and he said, 'Dad, I don't need shoes that badly.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dennis Hopper on his involvement in the original Mario Bros. movie:

Bob Hoskins' reaction to his role is even better.