Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

I just can't get over this video lol. This is how the flux ends? It destroyed half the universe but its just a tiny space cloud that can get sucked up by a man, while some lines from the Doctor are really lazily played over top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's bigger on the inside :v:

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a step up step back thing, isn't it? I've always read that as how sometimes being a good ally means shutting up and letting the people directly affected talk.

I think I'd prefer not to have the Doctor be complicit in infamous racist acts as a means to an end.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Again, it's pretty telling that the scene in Remembrance of the Daleks with the "NO COLOUREDS" sign was far more impactful in getting its point across than an entire Chibnall episode about Rosa Parks.

(E: corrected an incorrect episode title :sweatdrop:)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 9, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, for all the faults of the Chibnall era, the man had very good intentions and wanted to do positive things around representation and important social topics, which I absolutely applaud him for. I just wish the show had been better :smith:

Yeah, it just bums me out. You can def see that the underlying idea was there, 13 is a hopeful Doctor who wants to educate about important issues. It's just executed terribly, and unless you're looking you don't really see what was trying to be accomplished.

I can honestly say I was so looking forward to her run, especially with one of the final scenes of her first episode ending with a Wanderer above the Sea of Fog pastiche.

The Wanderer.
The Engineer.
The Educator.

All themes heavily present in the 1st and 2nd episodes. I think the rest of the first season is then really mired by the Doctor not being the smartest person in the room a lot, not having a solution, and really just reacting to things that are happening.
Can we save this giant spider that's dying from a lack of Oxygen? Nope! Not-Trump will shoot it! (Did you know guns are bad????)

I hope 13 rocks up for a multi-Doc ep, and I hope it's a 2 parter. I'm really really interested in seeing what a competent showrunner could do with her.
The first female Doctor deserved better.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, my hope for 13 after seeing her first episode and her kooky-tinkerer-educator vibe was that we’d get Doctor Who Does the Magic School Bus, with the three companions filling out the student dynamics.

And then it wasn’t that and I just kinda stopped caring after Kerblam.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Doctor Who Does the Magic School Bus

gently caress me this would have been good :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I only watched the first series but I struggle to describe 13 at all

She's...nice?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Boxturret posted:

I just can't get over this video lol. This is how the flux ends? It destroyed half the universe but its just a tiny space cloud that can get sucked up by a man, while some lines from the Doctor are really lazily played over top?

Watching that clip was, to my brain, like seeing it for the first time even though I know I watched that entire season. It really does slide right off your brain

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One hour until Tennant death :getin:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I popped in Runaway Bride since we're about to hit Tate and Tennant's last hurrah. They were so good together right off the bat...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, my hope for 13 after seeing her first episode and her kooky-tinkerer-educator vibe was that we’d get Doctor Who Does the Magic School Bus, with the three companions filling out the student dynamics.

And then it wasn’t that and I just kinda stopped caring after Kerblam.

:agreed:

I really thought 13 would be a Chaotic Good Mad Scientist Doc Brown type based on her first episode .

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
It's still absolutely bananas to me that the reaction to Tate becoming full companion was so strongly negative at the time. Just on the evidence of Runaway Bride, it was so obvious that she was the perfect foil to 10's self aggrandising pomposity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We deserve at least one special or episode of Doctor-Donna by herself grabbing a companion for an adventure, no other doctors.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i dont want to see 13 in a multi doc episode because she really needs to stand out on her own in a good story first

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not sure how to break this to you mate..

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Infinitum posted:

Not sure how to break this to you mate..

lmao

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
10 min to go!! I am excited and mildy anxious but mostly excited!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

I can honestly say I was so looking forward to her run, especially with one of the final scenes of her first episode ending with a Wanderer above the Sea of Fog pastiche.

I always loved that shot but I wasn't familiar with that artwork, and man yeah that really stands out now. Such high hopes for the show at that point :smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MuddyFunster posted:

It's still absolutely bananas to me that the reaction to Tate becoming full companion was so strongly negative at the time. Just on the evidence of Runaway Bride, it was so obvious that she was the perfect foil to 10's self aggrandising pomposity.

Tate was best known for a sketch show where the break out character was one of the most annoying things to be on television in YEARS. The fact she'd been an accomplished actress for at least a decade was eclipsed by the words "AM I BOVVERED" in massive letters.

Man, Geoffrey Perkins produced that show, now I'm sad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

10 min to go!! I am excited and mildy anxious but mostly excited!

I love my boy 10/14, 10's My Doctor, but I can't wait for 15.

I can't wait for whatever dumb post-regeneration shenanigans he gets up to in the Xmas ep :allears:

Grabbin a drink and some snacks. High hopes for NPH eating up the screen~

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Here we go!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Well those are some creepy dolls.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8QzckJvUI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Well those are some creepy dolls.

With real human hair!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I am Scottish and I've never heard 'stooky' used like that. I've only ever heard it used for like, casts on broken limbs, because of the plaster thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MEL!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Very amused at "I've seen you walking" after the "she moved her leg!" bullshit on twitter two weeks ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trinity Wells!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Lmao at all this extremely relevant social commentary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Look pal timelords are no peach either.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

Trinity Wells!

As soon as they mentioned giving Zeedex to everyone, you instantly think "lmao good luck, like trying to give everyone a vaccine"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Lived to 101, died falling over a whiskey bottle." Perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Donna got a job!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tennants accent noticably slipping on the word "stooky".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A lot of very long corridors in these 3 episodes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Well... maybe I'll save you" :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GODDAMMIT 14 WHY WOULD YOU CLOSE THE DOOR

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh not creepy doll poo poo, noooo!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tennant speedrunning the doctors emotional gamut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So 14 is the shouty doctor.