Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's impressive how the Monster Planet trilogy manages to have both the worst Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I respect the anime trilogy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The trilogy was interesting in that it made a Godzilla the size of a state kinda boring

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wasn't that the one where Godzilla was actually a tree?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

At the very least we should be glad Godzilla has not put on a leotard and dishes out windmill punches and high kicks (though he actually did a few high kicks in the recent Jet Jaguar film)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anime trilogy Godzilla was one of the most boring experiences I put myself through.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

It's impressive how the Monster Planet trilogy manages to have both the worst Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah.

It does something neat with Mechagodzilla, Ghidorah, and Mothra, presenting them not as monsters but as concepts. Mechagodzilla is just unrelenting directionless technological advancement, leading to nothing but destruction. Ghidorah is "alien" to the extreme, literally breaking reality when it appears. The part where the guys on the ship see the security camera footage of themselves dying moments before they die because Ghidorah's existence breaks time, is extremely cool. And Mothra is coexistence through adaptation. Humanity can live with Godzilla, just not on humanity's terms.

That last one is something I was really hoping the Legendary movies would explore.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Monarch could really use some comic relief in the form of a Godzookyesque mini-titan sidekick

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Arc Hammer posted:

the Monsterverse Mecha-G sucks pretty hard too, hate that design

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

It does something neat with Mechagodzilla, Ghidorah, and Mothra, presenting them not as monsters but as concepts. Mechagodzilla is just unrelenting directionless technological advancement, leading to nothing but destruction. Ghidorah is "alien" to the extreme, literally breaking reality when it appears. The part where the guys on the ship see the security camera footage of themselves dying moments before they die because Ghidorah's existence breaks time, is extremely cool. And Mothra is coexistence through adaptation. Humanity can live with Godzilla, just not on humanity's terms.

That's cool and all but an interesting thematic hook doesn't make up for how shockingly boring those movies are

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

robot roll call posted:

the Monsterverse Mecha-G sucks pretty hard too, hate that design

I had to look up what it looked like because I completely forgot he existed.

I completely forgot there was a dumb "team up to fight the bigger bad guy" subplot in that movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

That last one is something I was really hoping the Legendary movies would explore.

KotM was mid in a lot of ways (sadly) but my biggest problem with it is how clearly it points toward the better and weirder movie it could have been.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

KotM was mid in a lot of ways (sadly) but my biggest problem with it is how clearly it points toward the better and weirder movie it could have been.
The credits talking about how the various new kaiju we see for one second each have rejuvenated life across the planet was a neat element that it doesn’t seem like they plan to follow up on. All said kaiju besides Godzilla and Kong being dormant in GvK was disappointing also.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Godzilla Minus One was so good. I'm glad they allowed me to root for the humans and they let Godzilla just be a monster. The American Godzilla movies love doing this thing where Godzilla flattens a city killing 100,000 people and then disappears into the ocean as everyone cheers and celebrates him as an unlikely antihero, protector of humanity.

Godzilla Minus One just portrays big G as a mindless killing machine, we don't explore his motives or goals. He's a horrific walking natural disaster, with no explanation. And it's perfect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Urdnot Fire posted:

The credits talking about how the various new kaiju we see for one second each have rejuvenated life across the planet was a neat element that it doesn’t seem like they plan to follow up on. All said kaiju besides Godzilla and Kong being dormant in GvK was disappointing also.

GvK sidesteps dealing with the fact that dozens of cities across the earth as well as the entire eastern seaboard if America gets absolutely destroyed in KOTM by diving into the hollow earth plot a bit too hard and the next film is doubling down on this.

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/KaijuAds/status/1733564597762765200?t=LmMdcvzfnz2WkngUkCnrwQ&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 10, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I just learned something really cool about Godzilla Minus One. The J7W Shinden that Shikishima flies in the film was a replica specifically made for the movie but it was kept under super secret wraps to avoid spoilers. After filming was completed the replica was anonymously donated to the Tachiarai Peace Memorial Museum and the donor was only revealed to be Toho after the film released. Apart from the reassembled J7W1 prototype on display in Washington, the replica is the only other physical depiction of the plane that currently exists in the world.

It was a super cool reveal for me in the theater but I imagine history buffs in Japan must have been overjoyed by the surprise.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

So I just learned something really cool about Godzilla Minus One. The J7W Shinden that Shikishima flies in the film was a replica specifically made for the movie but it was kept under super secret wraps to avoid spoilers. After filming was completed the replica was anonymously donated to the Tachiarai Peace Memorial Museum and the donor was only revealed to be Toho after the film released. Apart from the reassembled J7W1 prototype on display in Washington, the replica is the only other physical depiction of the plane that currently exists in the world.

It was a super cool reveal for me in the theater but I imagine history buffs in Japan must have been overjoyed by the surprise.

Yeah, having seen the one in DC I think its actually at Udvar-Hazy in NoVa that was a real treat.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Minus One was incredible. When the kamikaze guy flew into Godzillas jaw and yelled, "in the words of my generation: UP.... YOOOURS!" I cried

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The head explosion was great.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

there's probably politics on screen space and stuff, but man wish we could see the numbers if they let godzilla just run thru dec.
like wtf is there in theatres to contest against godzilla during the holiday break? Aquaman?
it be the perfect movie for all the people coming back for college break and stuff.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm not sure how much they can get by extending it instead of re-running it later.

The IMAX screens are, I'm assuming, all already booked for other films by now, which is why despite being extended none of the theaters near me have any IMAX showings of Minus One. Those all ended on the date the initial run was supposed to end.

Even the regular showings are largely at weird times like 2pm on a weekday and such, with less availability on the evening and weekend slots.

I'm assuming they'll book a full theatrical run after the Christmas holidays given how well it's done with this limited run.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

If the kaiju in the opening scene isn't canonically Godzillasaurus I don't see why it wouldn't be

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sorry, no time travel tricks or odd friendly androids this time around

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

I'm gonna say that this whole premise is conceptually wrongheaded. The characters already existed to express abstract concepts, while doing other stuff. In returning them 'back' to mainly abstractions, you're left with some Garfield Minus Garfield thing.

Now that I've seen G Minus One, you've got a similar issue there; the film is so overtly about the personal trauma that you may lose sight of the literal existence of the giant dinosaur, which just kinda bluntly exists in its stupidity. Godzilla is just something for the protag to project onto. So, as well-made as the film is, it's very Hollywood-conservative in its therapeutic narrative that ends in the production of a couple - even with those final winks at its own insufficiency. More James Cameron than Ridley Scott, y'know? The absence of the Oxygen Destroyer in the narrative, along with the whole political conflict around it, is palpable.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Went to see Minus One with my partner. It was her first Japanese Godzilla film after being a big fan of the Monsterverse films for some time. She really enjoyed it, and now I'm keen for us to watch more of the classics. So: aside from Shin Godzilla and the original, which are considered the best among the many Japanese Godzilla films? Or just good kaiju films in general? (A random guy at the dog park the other day was telling me that the 90s Gamera movies are really good...)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll always go to bat for Terror of Mechagodzilla. Probably my favourite of the Showa movies. Godzilla vs Hedorah is also really good and trippy and it's also something of a point of origin for the Monsterverse films since its director Yoshimitsu Banno was an executive producer on G14 and is posthumously credited on KOTM, GVK and the Monarch TV show.

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack might be a good follow up to Minus One since it also features a particularly vindictive evil Godzilla. The Kiryu duology of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS are also pretty fun B movies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 10, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The 0s Gamera movies are not actually very good. The Gamera animes on Netflix right now are pretty drat good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
personally I liked that pre-nuke Godzilla was already a pretty weird critter rather than a more conventional dinosaur like Heisei Godzilla was

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The 0s Gamera movies are not actually very good. The Gamera animes on Netflix right now are pretty drat good.

While I do agree that the second and third Heisei Gamera films aren't great, I'd have to heavily disagree regarding Guardian of The Universe, that one I feel is really drat good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

smoobles posted:

The American Godzilla movies love doing this thing where Godzilla flattens a city killing 100,000 people and then disappears into the ocean as everyone cheers and celebrates him as an unlikely antihero, protector of humanity.

And?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I would say, underneath the original, Shin, and Minus One, are: Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), Godzilla vs. Biollante, and GMK. But that's a big drop from that top trio. Hard to call most of the series "good" Which is kind of why two Toho Godzilla movies in a row that are objectively good movies is considered a freak occurrence

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
G '84 is really good, too. Honestly, the Toho ones where it's Godzilla going solo are all bangers. 54, 84, Shin, and now -1 are all really well done with wildly different tones and messages. It's a neat, decades-long balancing act.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I may have drunkenly reported a post based solely on the power of inedbriation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'd say at least for Showa era the only outright bad Godzilla movie is All Monsters Attack/Godzilla's Revenge

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I would say, underneath the original, Shin, and Minus One, are: Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), Godzilla vs. Biollante, and GMK. But that's a big drop from that top trio. Hard to call most of the series "good" Which is kind of why two Toho Godzilla movies in a row that are objectively good movies is considered a freak occurrence

It's weird enough to kind of rewrite recommending Godzilla films.

Until Shin, it was one classic (with an interesting dub) and a bunch of films ranging from "Pretty good, especially if you like this kind of thing" to "Crap, but maybe in a charming way".

Then Shin came out, and it was the first Godzilla movie in ages that you could just sell as a great film, even if someone didn't have strong opinions on giant monster carnage. But even then, it's a specialized beast. Japanese political satire with a focus on procedure isn't everyone's speed. Still, it gave you a nice neat "Watch the first one and the latest one. Beyond that, it depends how much you like kaiju movies."

But with Minus One being a rock solid "Just watch this, you'll like it" kind of movie, there's now three great Godzilla films, and that's just enough to complicate suggestions. Now there's enough Godzilla films to just say "Yeah, I like Godzilla films" without dealing with any of usual hurdles, and that means recommending something with those hurdles gets harder.

Might not have said it well, but it does feel like a significant shift somehow.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
the majority of godzilla movies were meant to be watched for their final acts by fourteen-year-olds staying up way too late and there's nothing wrong with being the best in that genre imo

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
and also GMK is great even by the standards of watching at normal human hours

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Outside of OG Godzilla, Shin, and -1, what are the other good Japanese Godzilla movies?

almost all of them

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

Went to see Minus One with my partner. It was her first Japanese Godzilla film after being a big fan of the Monsterverse films for some time. She really enjoyed it, and now I'm keen for us to watch more of the classics. So: aside from Shin Godzilla and the original, which are considered the best among the many Japanese Godzilla films? Or just good kaiju films in general? (A random guy at the dog park the other day was telling me that the 90s Gamera movies are really good...)

If she likes Monsterverse, then Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidorah are both great. Both are from 1964, and to me the latter is exactly the kind of silly that makes Showa-era so fun.

For :catdrugs:, nothing can beat Hedorah and Final Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The first Rodan and Mothra movies are rad as hell, too. Rodan is just escalation after escalation, and Mothra is a stellar inversion of the King Kong formula and has a comedian who beats up some thugs in a fun scene.